• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    The road leaving the town of Winterhold was covered with a blanket of snow due to the storm that has engulfed the northern lands. Zhar could barely see more than a few meters ahead of himself and almost lost the road completely a few times. Luckily Zhar has ventured down that road numerous times before and knew it practically by heart. Despite the weather Zhar kept moving down the road, hoping to reach his destination.

It was late in the evening when Zhar reached Windhelm. The mighty walls of stone stuck out from the mountains and the ancient stone carvings created an atmosphere worthy of the darkest literature. But Zhar cared not for the walls of stone; all he wanted was to reach Candlehearth Hall, feed his appetite, and possibly find some hired muscle.

Zhar pushed open the front door of Candlehearth Hall, the winter air filled the tavern and its patrons snapped their heads over to see who invited the unwelcomed cold. Many of the Nords muttered to themselves, most likely about a Khajiit entering their city, and returned to their mugs. Zhar lowered his hood and made his way up the staircase to the upper dining area. Looking around the room Zhar noticed it was filled with locals and adventurers alike, all trying to escape the bite of winter and each one telling a story from some past event. Seeing the strange Khajiit many of the patrons would glance over at Zhar and whisper into the ear of their neighbor, it wasn't common to find a cat in Windhelm. It was a lively space and Zhar felt that he had a good chance of finding the help he was looking for. Reaching into his satchel Zhar extracted a piece of paper and pinned it to the wall with a small knife then walked away. Upon the paper was written:

"Looking for able-bodied adventurers to aid a scholar in exploring an ancient tomb. See Khajiit for details "

Zhar went up to the barmaiden, Elda Early-Dawn, rented out a room and ordered for dinner to be delivered to his room. Upon entering his room Zhar posted a note on his door simply saying "Khajiit" and closed the door behind him.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Elsa peered from under her hood, eyes tracking the Khajit as he entered the top floor. Her brows creased as he tacked a notice to the wall, Shifting back to lean in her seat as he left just as quickly as he came back. Running her hand over her chin in thought her gaze fell back on the notice, her current companion slapping her arm in the process.

"Now what's a kitty like that doing here? Might find himself in a bit o' trouble eh?"

Raising an eyebrow as she turned to regard the now rather drunken nord she was sat with Elsa let her eyes flick over him in disdain before downing her mead.

"Astor, why don't you shut that mouth of yours and find some bit for your entertainment tonight hm? We're done here." Waving her hand in dismissal she stood up, her movements silent and graceful as she threw a few spare septims at the drunkard she had arrived with. He was battleworn and arrogant for it, but he had been useful when collecting a bounty from a difficult farmer so she had chosen to keep him around until something more interesting came about. As it happened, it looked like it had.

Resting her hands on the notice she scanned through the summon, scoffing in wonderment that a Khajit scholar would have chosen Candlehearth of all places to look for recruits. All the same she tapped the paper in thought before deciding to explore further, quickly heading downstairs. she stopped by the room she had bought for the night, checking her pack which she had stowed away under a loose floorboard under the bed. She never trusted the chests provided, it was far too easy to break those locks...she would know. Once satisfied with the state of her belongings she left and locked the room, eyes scanning the hallway for signs that the Khajit had passed. Seeing another note posted to a door she rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I can only imagine the state of his home...notes and theories covering the walls...hm hm." Leaning against the doorjamb she rapped her gloved knuckles in the door, casually looking around to check if anyone cared about her actions. As a rule, she avoided attention when she could, and if she was seen with the scholar, discretion was all the more advised considering the opinions the locals had concerning his people. Waiting for a response she sighed and absently rubbed her neck while she lingered.

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    Zhar had finally settled in his room. He tossed his satchel onto his bed and sat beside it for a moment, taking a deep breath. Then he opened his satchel and pulled out his notes and began to look over them. He stood up and began walking around his room, still reading his notes; it seemed that pacing helped the thought process.

His mind was racing. He believed he is going to find something big. He thought to himself:
    "Weird to find a hidden tomb in the Reach."
    There came a rapping at his door. Zhar stopped in his tracks, dropped he notes on the nearby table and walked over to the door. He opened it slightly and peer out into the hallway, his eyes found a Nord woman standing on the other side of his door. An attractive woman for a Nord but Zhar still preferred Khajiit. He opened his door and said:

"Come in"

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    As the door opened Elsa pushed herself away from the doorframe, cocking her hip as she got a proper look at the khajit. "Hm. Thanks." Her smile was friendly but her eyes were harsh, her mind spinning as she continued to assess the situation. Looking about his room she turned to him and removed her hood.

"So...not often a khajit is foolish enough to stay in this tavern. And the notice...well that definitely caught my eye. I'm in between jobs right now and although I'm not the biggest fan of tomb exploration." Elsa rolled her shoulder in disgust as she recalled the last time she was trapped in an ancient nord burial site. Far too messy. "I thought that perhaps there was more to it than met the eye, if a khajit was brave enough to come to Candlehearth Hall in search of help." Folding her arms over she chest Elsa continued, "Just so we're clear, I don't have a problem with you, unlike a lot of the drunkards here. I'm good with a dagger, deadly with a bow and very good at what I do. So long as you don't make the mistake of turning on me anytime soon I'm sure I'd make a fine asset to your band of merry men..." She gestured to the empty room, "Uh, if they show up that is."

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    "You have arrived earlier than I expected, I was hoping you were bringing me my dinner." Saying this in a bit of an attitude showing that he does not appreciate the assertive tone the Nord woman was using. His blue eyes traced he movements, studying her, leading him to multiple theories on her past and personality. He closed the door behind him and walked back to the table he dropped his notes on.
    "This one is named Zhar and I expect you to show some level of respect to a master wizard from the college." He gestures with his hand "This one knows most around here are ignorant and fear magic but as long as you don't become a problem I won't have to summon dremora to lop off your limbs."

He turns with a smile on his face. "I'm certain we will get along quite well though. It's not often I meet with one who excels at 'obtaining' goods that are off limits to most treasure hunters. Tell this one what your name is and what you expect from this expedition."

AS88

Staff member
    Kjorvir was sat at the bar when the Khajiit brushed past him, dressed in robes and carrying a satchel. Strange for a Khajiit to choose Windhelm as a stopping point, and to dress like a mage, he mused. Captain Lonely-Gale had been telling stories all night, and it had gotten almost to a point at which Kjorvir could no longer continue to smile and nod between sips of ale. It was a welcome break when one of the locals, Viola, drew his attention with the offer of another drink. Kjorvir swivelled on his stool and watched the Khajiit stride down the hall and briefly dismiss Elda. She will not like that, my furry friend.

A couple of minutes later, a pretty young Nord strolled past the bar and briefly attended to something in what was presumably her room. She left again and continued down the hall, eyes fixed on the Khajiit's door, and knocked gently. Their eyes met as she turned to take in her surroundings, but only long enough for her to look away again, rubbing her neck with impatience. Or maybe it was awkwardness after catching her looking.

Another barmaid made a quick trip behind the counter for a bottle of wine to take upstairs, and Kjorvir caught her attention with a targeted "Ahem."

She looked up and smiled, and Kjorvir asked her a question which she seemed somewhat confused by.

"The Khajiit who came from upstairs not five minutes ago. What was he doing up there?"

"...He just left a note on the wall and came straight down, far as I know..."

"Aye, another ale please. Leave it on the bar, I'll be back in a minute."

Before she gave him confirmation, Kjorvir had already left his stool wobbling slightly and had his plated boot on the first stair. The Nord climbed the rest of the stairs, and spotted the note almost immediately as two or three of the patrons eyed it like an unusual animal, waiting for it to leap from the wall and take their mead.

"Looking for able-bodied adventurers to aid a scholar in exploring an ancient tomb. See Khajiit for details"

He took in a thoughtful breath and turned to descend the stairs, eventually sitting back on his stool and taking a sip of his ale. The words "scholar", "Khajiit" and "ancient tomb" swam around his head for no more than five minutes, before he rose from his stool again, stretched his arms out ahead of him and set off down the hall, bottle in hand.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    The Khajit's response managed to win a smile from the thief who simply raised her eyebrows and grinned. "A master from the college? My apologies. I don't often come across mages with your skills. I look forward to seeing you in action." Tipping her head in respect she looked about tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

Hearing his appraisal of her Elsa laughed to herself and cocked her head to the side. "Oh, I'm very good at obtaining things. My name is Elsa...The Fleet some like to add. It's a nickname I've earned for myself I suppose. Practically a title." There was a tone of amusement in her voice, suggesting she didn't think much of the name, though it always helped to have something to back up her claims when trying to find work. "As for the expedition as you put it...I won't lie, a bit of gold would be good. But otherwise...I'm bored. Chasing down stolen trinkets and exacting the revenge of petty housewives gets dull. Every now and then I enjoy a little excitement. What could be more exciting than exploring a dank and musty tomb with a few strangers?"

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    The Khajiit raised his eyebrows and smiled "Obviously you've never spent a night with a Khajiit." He followed this statement with a laugh.

But the Khajiit knew the Nord woman was more interested in the job so he collected himself. "Have you heard of Gauldur Legend? The conjurer from the First Era who was murdered by, according to the limited records, his three sons?" Zhar took out a copy of Lost Legends from his pack and handed it to Elsa "This one has always found it odd that the three children of the most influential mage would kill their father out of jealousy. I've spent many weeks trying to uncover any details that support my theory but I have found only failure. However I recently heard a rumor that a tomb was discovered in the Reach that bears the architecture of a First Era tomb and whoever is buried within must have been in a prestigious office because his tomb is locked away by an ancient door that bears the symbol of King Harald. This door requires an ornamental dragon claw to open it, I'm sure you have seen these doors before. Luckily the College collects these dragon claws and I've narrowed the selection down to two. I feel that this tomb may have some information on the Gauldur Legend and it is my intent to find it."

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    At the Khajit's comment Elsa started, a laugh wanting to bubble up, but she shook her head with ease. "No I can't say I have." Clearing her throat she walked over to the wall of the small room, leaning against it while the mage continued.

Gauldur? The nord let out a low whistle, her curiosity doubling tenfold. "Of course, I mean, every child has heard the story of Gauldur. It's often told as a warning to young ones hoping to practise the arcane arts..." Taking the book she carefully stroked the cover before gently flicking through the pages, her keen eyes poring over the information. At the mention of the dragon claws Elsa closed the book and frowned. "Yes...the only lock I've yet to pick. Well, at least the college has made the first part easier for you. Well..." Sighing Elsa considered Zhar's hopes and chewed her lip in thought. "Alright, I'm in. Sure there will most likely be draugr...possibly an undead mage or two...giant...frostbite spiders..." Elsa paled a little at the thought of the disgusting creatures. "...But...I'm curious and I like to explore places I really shouldn't. this could be an interesting experience."

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    There came a knock on the door, Zhar opened the door to find Elda bringing him his dinner. He thanked her, took the tray and closed the door. Zhar placed the tray on the table and took his seat. "Hungry?" Zhar asked Elsa, showing no disrespect to his guest. He drank from his tankard. "I'm certain I'll enjoy having you along for the trip. As for a reward you may take what you want from the tomb unless I deem it necessary for myself to take it. I hope you understand."

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    As Elda entered the room, Elsa stepped back out of the way, a look of surprise crossing her face when Zhar offered her food. Raising a hand she shook her head, "Oh no thank you. I had my fill earlier when I came in. I think the wine is still wearing off."

Flicking through the worn pages of the book once more, her fingers traced the runes on the pages with her fingers as she thought further on the job she had agreed to. Looking up at the mage she grinned at his offer. "That sounds fair to me, though I wonder if I may need a bigger pack. Those ruins are famous for their gems and weapons...and I have an uncanny skill at spotting both."

Why-So-Serious?

It's a revolution... I suppose.
    A Khajiit in Windhelm? Oriton thought to himself as he took a sip of his Mead, watching the scholar pin a note on the wall from his place at the bar. I must say I was surprised to find myself here, but has the cat not heard of the extreme racism this city boasts? The young Imperial continued to drink, seeing a Nord woman approach the notice and then disappear downstairs. He knew that there would be plenty of interest in whatever the note spoke of so he finished the last few drops of his drink and stood from the bar. He himself had attracted the attention of unwelcoming eyes when he had entered the inn, but this was not down to his race, it was down to the unusual way he dressed and the Katans resting in an 'X' shape on his back. He did not fit in with the Nord brutes surrounding him.

"Looking for able-bodied adventurers to aid a scholar in exploring an ancient tomb. See Khajiit for details "
    Oriton read the letter in his head at least three times before turning his head in the direction of the stairs. That was where he had seen the scholar go once the note had been pinned to the wall and it was also the way Nord woman had gone. Assuming that this was where he would find answers he made his way down the stairs and into the lower levels of Candlehearth hall. Immediately his eyes were drawn to yet another note on a door simply stating 'Khajiit' Oriton moved over to the door and knocked three times, never any less, never any more. He waited with a slightly bowed head, letting the fringe of his murky blonde hair fall across his eyes as it usually did. He was not one for bold entrances or for speaking, he simply wished to know what this note was all about.​

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Hearing the soft rapping at the door Elsa jerked her thumb behind her. "I'll...I'll get that then?" Shrugging she supposed it wouldn't hurt to answer the door. It could have been another hopeful adventurer after all.

Opening the door Elsa let her eyes run over the man in front of her. Crossing her arms as she assessed his stance she stood aside. "I'm assuming you're here about the notice as well?".

Sierra312

A blast of chill air swept into Candlehearth Hall as yet another stranger entered the inn.

Scratched and dinted pauldrons and a surcoat of chipped, enamelled steel plates drew the wary eyes of some bar patrons, and the pommel of a longsword gleamed dully in the firelight.

A white fur hood and the face plates of a half-helm hid the majority of the mans face in shadow, but the wry smile he gave to meet the unsettled stares and mutters betrayed a skin tone darker than most seated at the tavern; a Redguard.

Passing coin over the counter, Sander Frostfount requested politely, "A tankard of ale, and a room for the night, if you have it."

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    Zhar stood up from his table and walked over to the doorway, he eyed the Imperial before him.
    "I assume you've read my note. Please, come in." Zhar gestured into his room, waiting for the visitor to enter.

Darkfall998

A nord woman now stood infront of him, with arms crossed. "I might be. What is it to yourself?" he asked, stretching. "And even if it is anything to you, why do you ask me rather than find the man whom sent the noteand summon him, or inform him? Dar'Saie looks for answers, not for pestering women and their apparent know-how of something." He said, stepping forward. "But if you know this mans location, please tell me. i have travelled from quite some time, and Dar'Saie would like to get to the bottom of this."

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    A khajit joined the side of the imperial, his tone sounded vexed but she didn't let it bother her. Unfolding her arms she stepped to the side, waving a hand in Zhar's direction. "He's inside, I was merely opening the door for him while he sat to eat." She tried a friendly smile as she often did and turned to Zhar.

"If you don't mind I may return outside. I have a room here myself and it seems yours is beginning to get crowded. I'll leave you to it...ask Elda if you need to find me. I won't be leaving the tavern anytime soon." Dipping her head in an small bow she straightened up, confidently walking past the khajit and imperial at the door. "Gentlemen." Smiling her goodbye she walked off, wondering whether to return to her room or to find some more of that wine she'd had earlier. No, better to stay sharp for now. Approaching Elda she quietly asked for some food, settling down to eat at a table on the lower level.

MjolnirV

xDoctor Bob
    Zhar enjoyed Elsa's company and was slightly saddened when she voluntarily left, he knew it was out of respect but all the same he wished he remained.
    As the two strangers entered the small room, looking around to understand their environment, Zhar studied both of them. Zhar looked at the Imperial with a curious gaze, something was different about him. But Zhar knew it was best not to stare so he quickly began to say "I assume you two have seen my note? My name is Zhar, I am a master wizard of the College of Winterhold and I am on the verge of discovering something big. If this interests you we can continue discussing the details if not then you may leave."

Sierra312

Having secured a room for the night and the promise of ale for his table, the Redguard chose a lone seat in the corner, deeper in the shadows than the rest, that he might avoid the uneasy gaze and unwanted attention of others, and to better observe the other patrons.

Thanking the tavern girl who brought him his ale, he leaned back in his chair and took a swig. The bright eyes under his hood reflected the glimmer of firelight where his dull and battered armour did not, as he scanned the room, searching for other unusual individuals such as himself who might mark the promise of an adventure, but for the moment he only saw drunken and surly Nords, muttering to one another or already dead-eyed and deep in their cups. The lone Dunmer woman looked to be a bard, but he found it strange she would choose to ply her trade here, where so many of her kind were reviled and despised.

"The courtesy of the City of Kings is somewhat lessened of late," he remarked to himself, not entirely in his head.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts