It's Impossible To Kill The Dog In Fallout 4

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Peter Paltridge

Administrator
Bethesda's Fallout 4 was first announced last year with an appearance from a dog. It was assumed by a lot of people that this dog's days were numbered, and having a dog in the world of Fallout was just a countdown to tragedy. Not so, said Fallout director Todd Howard at the Fallout E3 Q&A panel this afternoon. The dog will never die.

You cannot kill the dog. Ever. If you point a gun at the dog and shoot, the bullets will likely go through it. If you throw a large piece of metal scrap at its head, it won't gain a scratch. If you throw it off a cliff it will get back up like nothing happened. Don't waste effort on trying to torture a dog (and why would you, sicko?)

However! While killing the dog is impossible, maiming it is not. You can't maim the dog yourself, but it can become injured if it gets involved in a perilous situation. If that happens, the dog will become incapacitated for a time, which is bad for you, because you'll have less of a defense against enemies and you'll temporarily lose the abilities the dog provides, such as fetching distant objects.

Get your indestructible dog this fall in Fallout 4 for Playstation 4, XBox One and PC.
View the Post on the Blog

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Good! That's the least they coulda done for such a loyal companion. Not to mention he'll wind up doing stupid stuff for you, too. Stuff you can't/won't do yourself.

SaveVsBedWet

Why was this necessary? There are no indestructible dogs. Is this the new shill to dog lovers edition of Fallout?

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
Thank the Lord! In Fallout 3 I couldn't take Dogmeat out with me because I was so scared of him dying so much.

Harc

Big Hog
Hmmm, this may appeal more to the casual gamer, though I'm guessing you don't have to take the dog everywhere you go.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Well, in New Vegas they came up with the immortal companions in casual mode so why not here as well? Does this mean we can have Hardcore mode and risk the dog dying that way? Not that I would WANT him to die but I kinda liked having the option of realism in my game (as much as it can be provided).

Reaper87

吉光
Thank goodness! I can live in complete satisfaction that my dog will not die, no matter how emotionally attached to it I get! I keep having flashbacks to the first time Shadowmere died on one of my first characters - I accidentally jumped off of a blind summit near Saarthal and couldn't reload a suitable save :sadface:

Oh well, you live and you learn in Skyrim, as they say:Dragonborn:

And plus, Dogmeat is a German Shepherd, I absolutely adore those dogs and I own one too :D
Therefore, having (an immortal) one in Fallout would further immerse me in my character.

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
Thank goodness! I can live in complete satisfaction that my dog will not die, no matter how emotionally attached to it I get! I keep having flashbacks to the first time Shadowmere died on one of my first characters - I accidentally jumped off of a blind summit near Saarthal and couldn't reload a suitable save :sadface:

Oh well, you live and you learn in Skyrim, as they say:Dragonborn:

And plus, Dogmeat is a German Shepherd, I absolutely adore those dogs and I own one too :D
Therefore, having (an immortal) one in Fallout would further immerse me in my character.
Note to self: Don't jump off high places in Skyrim. Although when I did I always found him later randomly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts