I'm an Oblivion Newbie after Skyrim!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales
So after a few playthroughs of Skyrim, i pulled out my girlfriend's Oblivion CD (yeah, i know, i've got it good) and popped it into the old PS3.

I've read a bit about the differences and have gotten through the tutorial, went and entered the Oblivion Gate at Kvatch after meandering cross country and getting killed a few times.

Then i fast traveled back to the Imperial City and tried to break into the crooked merchant's house and broke all my lockpicks (though i did get up to level 13 trying).

I'm having a fantastic time getting into this "new" game.

Oh, i'm a dark elf, warrior heavy armor.

Voorth

p.s. - where's the best place to get more lockpicks..... lol

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager

Voorth

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
Sounds good. Hope you have fun with the game. Just a heads up though. Don't put all of the skills that you'll be using often as major skills as you'll end up leveling up way too quickly and with the enemies literally leveling up with you this can be a big problem if you're not prepared. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Voorth

Sounds good. Hope you have fun with the game. Just a heads up though. Don't put all of the skills that you'll be using often as major skills as you'll end up leveling up way too quickly and with the enemies literally leveling up with you this can be a big problem if you're not prepared. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Could you expand on that a little? I haven't done that yet

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
Alright. You said that as of right now you're a Dark Elf warrior wearing heavy armor right? The game would tell you that you should make your major skills all the melee skills (Blade, Blunt, Hand to Hand), Heavy Armor, Armorer, Block, and maybe Restoration. You could do this but all it will do is level you up very quickly with little to no progress in skill improvement.

Level progression in Oblivion is more difficult to work with than it is in Skyrim because in Oblivion you have to basically plan how you increase your stats. Each skill represents one of seven stats in the game (Luck is a complete stat on its own.)

Strength (Blade, Blunt, Hand to Hand)
Intelligence (Alchemy, Conjuration, Mysticism)
Willpower (Restoration, Alteration, Destruction)
Agility (Marksman, Security, Sneak)
Speed (Athletics, Acrobatics, Light Armor)
Endurance (Armorer, Heavy Armor, Block)
Personality (Mercantile, Speechcraft, Illusion)

The first thing that you want to do is figure out what type of character you want to play as. This is important as unlike Skyrim, once you decide what type of character you want to be it will be very difficult to change your playstyle. You can't be a pure warrior, then decide halfway through that you want to be a thief instead. You have to be committed to your choice.

Once you have your choice and you get to the point where you let Baurus know what type of player you are, this is where things can get difficult. It's recommended that you choose up to three skills that you know you'll use on a constant basis. Since you're a warrior in heavy armor you should probably pick whichever weapon style you wish to use (Blade or Blunt), Heavy Armor and Armorer because you want to get this skill to 50 ASAP for it's ability to repair enchanted arms. The remaining four are recommended to be skills that you would have difficulty raising to 25 the old fashioned way such as Mercantile or Restoration or a skill that would level up much slower if it wasn't a major skill such as Athletics (matter of fact IMHO you should make this a major skill as it will take FOREVER to level up the old fashioned way).

So now you have your skills set up. Before you reach the end of the sewers you get a little bit of a "trial period" to see if what you have currently set up is what you want to play as (your skills, your birthsign, even the race and gender of your character). Be sure that you have everything the way that you like it before you leave the sewers as you wont be able to change anything once you do.

Now we get to the main course: stat building. The goal here is to get a +5 stat boost in three of your stats with each level up. To get this stat boost, you have to get 10 skill increases of any combo of the skills associated with that stat. We'll use Strength as an example. You'll need a combination of 10 skill increases in Blade, Blunt and Hand to Hand. This could be 10 increases of one, 5 increases of two, etc. A good way to achieve this is to level up all three so that you can easily get the maximum stat boost and slow your overall level progression. Trust me. You want your stats as high as you can get them as fast as possible because the enemies get stronger as you level up.

Voorth

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Gregor had to go through a similar explanation with me when I started awhile back. I took his advice on my second character and it made a huge difference. :beermug:

I love Oblivion, and I'm on a break from it at the moment, I'll be getting back to it soon. I wish there were Aylied ruins in Skyrim to explore, as I became addicted to the ambiance and collecting varla stones. Does your copy have the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isle expansions? Look into getting them if not. Very worth it if you enjoy the game as much as I do.

Voorth

No, just the basic Oblivion.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
You should really get Shivering Isles then, if not Knights of The Nine because Sheogorath's realm is madly entertaining! There will be new kinds of items, creatures, places to explore etc and it's quite a medium sized world (not as big as Cyrodil though)!

Cheese for the win.

Voorth

Thanks! I will have to bread down and get it lol

Voorth

My Update: I am level 6, fighters guild, mages guild fully stocked shack in Imperial City, and oh yeah, by the way, i finished the main storyline lol.....

But there is so much to do! And i just kind of got into the whole Martin thing and kept going. ;-)

Just joined the Thieves guild, purchased the Bruma House with a few upgrades. I really like that city for some reason.

Great game!

p.s. - I think i'll play for a while, then restart and not do the main quest right away. Too much cool stuff to be leveled up in those Oblivian Gates!

Last edited:

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
With my current character, I'm waiting until I'm level 20 before doing the "allies from Bruma" portion of the main quest, which will grant me access to the most powerful sigil stones. :beermug:

Voorth

OK, so last night i blew away my old game and started a new character. I'm going for more of a mage type, with some battle skills.

Race: Breton
Birthsign: The Mage
Specialization: Mage

I figured that it's not that tough to teach a mage to swing a sword (bound weapons to boot), and this way i can cast the mightiest of mighty spells towards the end.

I'm having fun already!

Voorth

p.s. - Just bought Shivering Isles but haven't had a chance to play yet. :-)

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
OK, so last night i blew away my old game and started a new character. I'm going for more of a mage type, with some battle skills.

I figured that it's not that tough to teach a mage to swing a sword (bound weapons to boot), and this way i can cast the mightiest of mighty spells towards the end.

I'm having fun already!

I ended up making great use of "touch" spells. More power for less magic, and enemies are good at dodging ranged spells, (when they see them coming that is). :beermug:

I found the Shivering Isles to be a bit on the wacky side at first, but man it ends up being such a hoot! :beermug: :beermug:

Voorth

I have used the touch spells a few times and am liking them! I've never used 'em before.

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura

I'm having fun already!

The mightiest spells are created by you. Just like enchanting works in Skyrim you only need to get one version of the spell to create your own so be sure that you get the cheapest if possible. Just be sure that you have the corresponding school leveled up enough for the strength of the spell that you want.

P.S. You may not need it but here's a link to how EXP gain works for the skills in Oblivion.

Oblivion Skills EXP Chart

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts