How to tell if I have script lag and how to fix?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hello Folks,

I recently started playing Skyrim again, and decided to mod it to the max. I am at work and dont have a full listing of my mods, but although my game is stable I am concerned about script lag. I ran the script test in the convenient horses mod and while standing still at whiterun stables I was getting 30-300ms response time. The mod says I should never get above 100ms. I am using SMC full but only 1 or 2 of the texture packs are 4k, most are 2k and some 1k. Here is a short list of the scripted mods that I have:

Epic Gameplay Overhaul and all its related mods
CoT
Convenient horses
AFT
Frostfall
Enchanted Arsenal (I think this has scripts?)
Forgotten Magic Redone (my favorite magic mod by far, tempted to learn modding to add to it if the author isnt currently modding it)

Thats all I can remember atm. I currently have around 145 mods not including graphics mods, and my game looks amazing and I REALLY dont want to have to redo SMC to free up vid mem, if that would even help. I thank you in advance for the help everyone!

Machine specs:

Core I-7 3770k @ 4 Ghz
16 GB DDR3 @ 1800 Mhz
EVGA Gforce 780 3072 mb
Win 7 on SSD
Game is installed on 2 TB Raid 0 7200 RPM

Wippii

Bookworm
In my experience FIO of Epic Gameplay Overhaul does not like Frostfall, at least when using other heavily scripted mods - especially during dragon battles with DCO active. Disabling ice or fire in FIO's MCM may help some.

Your system looks significantly superior to mine, but I think the limitations here are caused more by the game engine than the machine running the game.

Ill try that and see how it works. I tuned my ENB a little more last night and installed onetweak and adjusted process priority and its running really smooth now. almost always 60 FPS unless outside with lots of stuff going on. even then my lowest was around 30fps.

Ancano

High Justiciar
The Hardware specs are irrelevant because the gaming software isn't written to use them.

You have 16GB of Sys RAM, why? The Abs MOST your comp can use is 4GB. Although, I have 8GB on mine for exp purposes only. Too much RAM is a Very Bad Thing and you have too much.

Next, your video card is perfect. 3GB Nvidia chipset is a great thing to have. So you did good there and the proc is fine too although you may want to look around and make sure you're utilizing as much as possible out of that proc and GPU in your Skyrim.ini file.

Also, while the proc is good some games can't stand more than one or two cores, it causes all kind of problems because the game software isn't written to utilize more than one core really, although duel core support is usually a possibility. Even older games like FO3 and FNV and Oblivion allows dual core.

Now.

You need to ~ Uninstall Skyrim. Delete EVERYTHING in your Skyrim folder, including your save games and everything under Documents\Skyrim. Re-install Skyrim to C:\Skyrim (not prog files).

Do an abs basic re-install FIRST. Small time mods that you know for certain works.

Run the game once in a while to make sure it still works.

Before installing any major mods or anything with scripts ---> Check the mod's website, Read, Read, Read about comp issues and other problems.

You prob have too many mods running and may discover that you don't need that many mods. Focus only on what you need to change and not what you think you need. I can tell you this, a script problem is very, very HARD to troubleshoot because those scripts will NOT stop running without a stop command. Feel me?

If this is becoming a real issue, you need to re-install and re-think yo life. ;)

The Hardware specs are irrelevant because the gaming software isn't written to use them.

You have 16GB of Sys RAM, why? The Abs MOST your comp can use is 4GB. Although, I have 8GB on mine for exp purposes only. Too much RAM is a Very Bad Thing and you have too much.

Next, your video card is perfect. 3GB Nvidia chipset is a great thing to have. So you did good there and the proc is fine too although you may want to look around and make sure you're utilizing as much as possible out of that proc and GPU in your Skyrim.ini file.

Also, while the proc is good some games can't stand more than one or two cores, it causes all kind of problems because the game software isn't written to utilize more than one core really, although duel core support is usually a possibility. Even older games like FO3 and FNV and Oblivion allows dual core.

Now.

You need to ~ Uninstall Skyrim. Delete EVERYTHING in your Skyrim folder, including your save games and everything under Documents\Skyrim. Re-install Skyrim to C:\Skyrim (not prog files).

Do an abs basic re-install FIRST. Small time mods that you know for certain works.

Before installing any major mods or anything with scripts ---> Check the mod's website, Read, Read, Read about comp issues and other problems.

You prob have too many mods running and may discover that you don't need that many mods. Focus only on what you need to change and not what you think you need. I can tell you this, a script problem is very, very HARD to troubleshoot because those scripts will NOT stop running without a stop command. Feel me?

If this is becoming a real issue, you need to re-install and re-think yo life. ;)
I appreciate your reply! your advice is not bad, however I dont think your analysis of how a 32 bit vs 64 bit program works is correct. If I was running a 32 bit OS you would be right, however I am running Win 7 64. So while the game will only use a max of 3gb (I dont have PAE turned on. Ill do that tonight.) the OS will use all 16 GB as would any 64 bit application. I hope that TES 6 is a 64 bit game as 32 bit is dead and for good reasons.

If a game has multi core support and is using the windows API's correctly, then it doesnt matter if they are physical or virtual cores. The game shouldnt have any issues. I dont think Skyrim has been known to have multicore issues, although I could be wrong about that.

At this point I have trimmed my mods down and redid my SMC pack and the game very rarely gives me any issues. I have played 10+ hours now without a single CTD or hiccup.

Ancano

High Justiciar

Now.

I appreciate your reply! your advice is not bad, however I dont think your analysis of how a 32 bit vs 64 bit program works is correct. If I was running a 32 bit OS you would be right, however I am running Win 7 64. So while the game will only use a max of 3gb (I dont have PAE turned on. Ill do that tonight.) the OS will use all 16 GB as would any 64 bit application. I hope that TES 6 is a 64 bit game as 32 bit is dead and for good reasons.

If a game has multi core support and is using the windows API's correctly, then it doesnt matter if they are physical or virtual cores. The game shouldnt have any issues. I dont think Skyrim has been known to have multicore issues, although I could be wrong about that.

At this point I have trimmed my mods down and redid my SMC pack and the game very rarely gives me any issues. I have played 10+ hours now without a single CTD or hiccup.

Well then... why ask us for help? ;) Glad you were able to resolve this in a timely manner. I hope the issue is gone however sometimes it can be hard to tell.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts