Heavy or Light Armor? (favorite type)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

True

I love light armor strictly because it is allows you to carry more of things you would want or need. I also put my Elven and Leather Armors on Manequins in my house because this Scaled armor is by far the coolest in my eyes especially if you have the Glass Helmet it looks so badass...just curious what others like also so i could maybe try it out for a bit

J

Jeremius

Depends. For me, I like Heavy for melee characters (protection/tank), while ranged and stealth I like light for (mobility).

True

Depends. For me, I like Heavy for melee characters (protection/tank), while ranged and stealth I like light for (mobility).
makes sense because Im mostly a Archer/Dagger stealthy character but if not i stick strictly to one handed weapons

Rhew

The missing snow elf
I love light armor. But I play as either a mage or a stealth archer.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Light armor, going to have to go with glass armor. It looks fancy and ceremonial like. Heavy armor? Hm... Tough one. Stalhrim or Steel plate.

Now we got the looks out of the way... I will have to agree with Jeremius. Depends on the character.

But for averages I tend to use heavy armor more, especially for warriors. Although I did make a light armor Knightly High Elf build. Dat glass armor be flashy..

zuko514

Light armor: dragon scale looks bad ass. for some reason looks more protective than dragon bone. Glass armor kind remind me of protoss from star craft. My favorite light armor combo ancient dark brother hood set with Penitus Oculatus armor. Best looking set for an average adventure, the dawn guard set, too bad the helmet enchantment is kinda useless.
Heavy armor: ebony set. total badass. orc set without helm looks really good on nord warrior. iron and banded armor looks pretty cool too.

personal grip: THE ANCIENT NORDIC ARMOR SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIGHT ARMOR!!!!!!

JoeReese

Light armor, all the way, and it usually ends up being Elven Gilded (or a recolored version, at least) with a faction helmet. The DG heavy is nice looking, but heavy armors just seem to weigh me down and don't give me enough extra protection to warrant the added weight, IMO. Before long, I'm in Elven and doing well, and there's no reason to change then. By the time I reach 60 smithing, I'm well on my way to the armor cap.

If you want some interesting looks, though, try DG heavy with steel plate boots and gauntlets (or ebony) and either a DG heavy helm, guard helm, or steel helm. I cannot stand the Elven helmet, unless I'm a Khajiit.

Wippii

Bookworm
Heavy all the way.

All of my favourite armour sets are heavy, and I never even play characters whom light would suit better than heavy.

Vanilla heavy armour perk tree is admittedly pretty meh - but that's what mods are for. SkyRe's HA tree is great, and doesn't have any ridiculous perks (looking at you, "Fists of Steel").

Also, elven and glass armours look stupid even with great retextures. Of the vanilla heavy armour sets, Daedric is the only one that looks ridiculous (= the only one I will never wear; looks do matter in some cases).

Karkarov

Both sets have their advantages of course, but I like light armour just a little bit better.

This is because I mostly play archer/ranger-type characters, but when playing a warrior it would probably make more sense to use Heavy.

As for looks, I don't like the looks of elven or glass armour, but the 'Bosmer armour' mod is amazing!

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
LIGHT. I swore by heavy until I tried light. Dragonscale armor is so much cuter, and THAT'S WHAT COUNTS, right?

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Light armor :D

Nightingale armor and the Master Thieves armor set. From the heavy sets, I like the Nordic Carved the most :)

Morgan

These types of discussions just aren't as fun without Dagmar around . . . :sadface:

Morgan

Heavy all the way.

All of my favourite armour sets are heavy, and I never even play characters whom light would suit better than heavy.

Vanilla heavy armour perk tree is admittedly pretty meh - but that's what mods are for. SkyRe's HA tree is great, and doesn't have any ridiculous perks (looking at you, "Fists of Steel").

Argh, Fists of Steel makes me so angry. Let's put a perk in that has absolutely nothing to do with and no effect on the skill being perked! Yay!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Light armor for me. I love the look of the heavy but I always neglect stamina so I need the lower weight. Besides, what with turning in to a Vampire Lord or a Werewolf all the time, the replacement expense on the heavy was breaking my bank account.

Depends on the type of character I'm playing tbh.
Personally, I love the look of both. Ebony and Daedric are awesomesauce, as is Ancient Nord - which I agree should at the very least have a light version. I mean 99 percent of it is leather based anyway, wtf?
But even though I love the look of a lot of heavy armors, they just aren't worth the stamina it costs to move around in them. Hence why most of my characters wear light armor. So personally I gotta go with light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancano

High Justiciar
Traditionally, I've always been a fan of Heavy Armor.

However one thing Skyrim has done right is provide Light Armor as a good alternative. In particular, I like all forms of Elven Armor. Nightshade armor is also very good stuff. :cool:

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Daedric armor with the steed stone for most of my characters as of late. Enchanted Daedric for my battlemage, for my pure mage, and my warrior. I am thinking of starting a ranger/archer in light armor, maybe.... :D :D :D

Pete

If I want to dance with my enemy, light armor. If I want to crush em under my great hammer, heavy.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Heavy all the way.

Also, elven and glass armours look stupid even with great retextures. Of the vanilla heavy armour sets, Daedric is the only one that looks ridiculous (= the only one I will never wear; looks do matter in some cases).
Heavy armour perks meh? Someone hasn't fought the Ebony Warrior yet.

Staff member
I mostly do challenge runs, so heavy armor os a necessity or you get to deal with automatic finishing moves. I prefer light armor for fun runs, though. Of course though, when I want to be sneaky, I go with light. Although muffle+invisibility makes it irrelevant.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I mostly do challenge runs, so heavy armor os a necessity or you get to deal with automatic finishing moves. I prefer light armor for fun runs, though. Of course though, when I want to be sneaky, I go with light. Although muffle+invisibility makes it irrelevant.

So does the steed stone......from the wiki:
The Steed Stone gives a bonus of one-hundred extra carrying capacity and no movement penalty is received by armor. Armor also has zero weight when equipped.

Staff member

So does the steed stone......from the wiki:
The Steed Stone gives a bonus of one-hundred extra carrying capacity and no movement penalty is received by armor. Armor also has zero weight when equipped.
100% muffle and invisibility makes even the steed stone irrelevant, aside from the bonus to movement speed.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts