Have you ever reached the point...?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Have you ever reached the point where you simply don't collect much of anything anymore?

My Blackthorne, since she got the banish enchantment, doesn't really collect anything but jewelry and daggers anymore. It's just not worth it. By the time she enchants her standard 20 daggers, she's making 500-1000 each and her money just keeps building, and that's after legendizing Enchanting 2x. At this point I just use it for money and to build levels.

Is there anything that you just reach a certain point and don't do anymore? I'd be interested in knowing. (another example for me also tends to be Conjuration - you get so high at it, you have your two perms and then what more do you need?).

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
When shopkeepers can no longer afford to buy all of it and I have to resort to stashing stuff I will probably never need in my house. That's when I'll stop looting. I'll still pick up any unique weapon or armor I find, though, and either display or stash it at home.

Daelon DuLac

When shopkeepers can no longer afford to buy all of it and I have to resort to stashing stuff I will probably never need in my house. That's when I'll stop looting. I'll still pick up any unique weapon or armor I find, though, and either display or stash it at home.
I hear ya. I get there quickly even after upping everybody 2.5K. Sheesh... Thank goodness for fences. :)

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
yep. I get to the point where I only take the cash. I have all the houses, I do smithing/enchanting and this time, even alchemy, so I don't even need to take the potions. All I need at these upper levels is the occasional $20-25k it takes to buy training. I don't care if I die broke--and that never seems to happen anyway. I seem to hover at about $100k.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Absolutely. That's one of the reasons making skills legendary is good- you can stockpile filled gems, bits of jewelry and alchemy ingredients until you have about enough to reset and level back to 100 again

Otherwise the game becomes a bit dull when you're just hacking and slashing your way through an environment you have no interest in

AS88

Staff member
With a serious RP character, they don't collect anything. When the carry weight is restricted to just the bare essentials, it'd be either camp safely or run through the night for a bag of Septims. Characters with a really focused goal or something specific to aim for do this even less. One of my Dovahkiin got to a six-figure fortune then just stopped looting everything except the final chest in any cave/dungeon/etc. It made for a much more fluid gameplay experience.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
In the beginning I tend to loot everything that isn't nailed down (and some of my more unscrupulous characters loot the secret Khajiit chest in Dawnstar *hangs head in shame) just to get enough coin to build one of the hearthfire houses. But as the coin pile grows I tend to pass over things I don't want, or need, say if a character is a pure mage, she's not going to pick up weapons, nor would my warrior Gregrick pick up any potions at all.

One thing I CAN'T go past though is Ebony Weapons.. Talos help me I love the stuff!

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
In the beginning I tend to loot everything that isn't nailed down (and some of my more unscrupulous characters loot the secret Khajiit chest in Dawnstar *hangs head in shame) just to get enough coin to build one of the hearthfire houses. But as the coin pile grows I tend to pass over things I don't want, or need, say if a character is a pure mage, she's not going to pick up weapons, nor would my warrior Gregrick pick up any potions at all.

One thing I CAN'T go past though is Ebony Weapons.. Talos help me I love the stuff!

I'm the same with daedric weapons or dragon armour. I took a character to level 79 recently and was nearing 1,000,000 septims, but I could never resist picking up those rare items. It always felt like such an achievement to find deadric or dragon stuff in a chest I'd take them, store them away in one of my houses and never think of them again. I just couldn't leave them behind!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

I'm the same with daedric weapons or dragon armour. I took a character to level 79 recently and was nearing 1,000,000 septims, but I could never resist picking up those rare items. It always felt like such an achievement to find deadric or dragon stuff in a chest I'd take them, store them away in one of my houses and never think of them again. I just couldn't leave them behind!

Oh yes, picking up dragon armour or weapons is the best!
I remember looting a Dragonbone war ax off a keeper in the soul cairn. It hung on my wall for ever after. (mind you it was pretty darn scary that keeper coming at me brandishing that ax!)

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
My Speech skill is getting so high I don't even go for the Gift of Charity bonus anymore. No Perks invested in it either. A dagger enchanted with Banish will wipe out a blacksmith's gold. I've actually gone back to enchanting them with Paralyze because I don't like feeling I gave the shopkeepers the deal of the century. Same with loot at the other shops. I'll leave them a few coins just so I know I got what my stuff was actually worth.

But stop looting? NEVER! I still grab steel daggers on occasion. And leather armor. Though I have stopped grabbing fur and hide. I'll strip Thalmor clean down to their underwear. I still take the pelts of animals. I pinch every Septim from every chest, urn and place of residence I see. I have several sets of Glass and Nordic Carved armor awaiting enchantment to be bestowed on my minions for a job well done. I don't remember what the cap is for gold but this time around if I hit it I'll just start stashing it in containers around my homes and other safe spots to make room for more.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I just created a new character last night. He is severely restricted on what he can carry through some self-imposed rules. He cannot carry additional armor items unless he has a backpack (mod). He cannot have a backpack that isn't equipped (so I generally don't carry one). He may carry one additional one-handed weapon (he uses one-handed and shield) but no more. He is limited to 5 potions, uses no crafting skills (flesh spells will supplement his light armor), and has no ranged abilities. I'm not activating dragons for the time being, but will probably run through the Dawnguard storyline.

He's only at level 4 so far (with only a handful of septims to his name) but already I've had to make some painful decisions over whether to swap out items because of armor rating or enchantment. It definitely makes certain items more valuable to the character.

Daelon DuLac

I just created a new character last night. He is severely restricted on what he can carry through some self-imposed rules. He cannot carry additional armor items unless he has a backpack (mod). He cannot have a backpack that isn't equipped (so I generally don't carry one). He may carry one additional one-handed weapon (he uses one-handed and shield) but no more. He is limited to 5 potions, uses no crafting skills (flesh spells will supplement his light armor), and has no ranged abilities. I'm not activating dragons for the time being, but will probably run through the Dawnguard storyline.

He's only at level 4 so far (with only a handful of septims to his name) but already I've had to make some painful decisions over whether to swap out items because of armor rating or enchantment. It definitely makes certain items more valuable to the character.
Good for you, but it sounds incredibly boring to me. Acquisition is part of being an adventurer to me. While I stop collecting most things I don't need or want, I could never restrict myself to to something like that. It would be no fun to just kill everybody and then not take their stuff, reanimate their corpses and send them flying with my fus in their underwear.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
It's probably similar to how people find fun in requiring their character to eat and drink at regular intervals. To me, that is tedious (since I don't feel the hunger pangs and don't want to keep checking the time) but to them it adds something to the game.

This is more of an experiment for me. Most of my previous characters have always collected a certain level of "stuff". But I started thinking about that garbage sitting around unused in my house(s) and thought that it might be interesting to see how a build went that didn't accumulate random items which he would never use and instead force him to choose, in the moment, whether he is willing to give up what he currently has to take something that may be slightly better.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
It's probably similar to how people find fun in requiring their character to eat and drink at regular intervals. To me, that is tedious (since I don't feel the hunger pangs and don't want to keep checking the time) but to them it adds something to the game.

This is more of an experiment for me. Most of my previous characters have always collected a certain level of "stuff". But I started thinking about that garbage sitting around unused in my house(s) and thought that it might be interesting to see how a build went that didn't accumulate random items which he would never use and instead force him to choose, in the moment, whether he is willing to give up what he currently has to take something that may be slightly better.

I'm able to limit my armor and weapons but anything else is too much to keep track of. It does slow down the rise from rags to riches quite a bit. I've also limited the type of potions I allow myself to sell. Basically, if I wouldn't use it neither would anyone else. They're still good to craft for the XP but that's it. I don't do too many hyper-realistic characters though because frankly, I enjoy looting and accumulating wealth too much.

FarmGirl

Work is really cutting into my gaming time.
I always take the gold, gems, and enchanted weapons. The difference is in the beginning of a game I will take things home and carefully organize everything and by the middle of the game I am just dumping everything into the chest by the door of my home!

Daelon DuLac

At this point I'm just collecting gems, jewelry and "expensive" equipment (ebony, dwarven, elven - anything over 500 septim value) and all the daggers I can get my hands on and then enchanting everything with banish and selling it (mostly to up my enchanting to 100 again and then start over). I'm trying to get to 100 speech so I can get an extra 2000 on each vendor.

I really should visit some other cities though. Whiterun and Solitude just aren't enough anymore, but I'm so buried in quests, who has the time! Busy, busy, busy - is it any wonder my Blackthorn is sleep deprived. :)

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I'm collecting everything I can carry above a value of 50 septims, then improve adn sell it - I need the money desperately. It's no fun being level 8 again. Well, OK, it is fun, but I'd forgottent how long it can take to get money and how easy it is to spend it.

Daelon DuLac

I'm collecting everything I can carry above a value of 50 septims, then improve adn sell it - I need the money desperately. It's no fun being level 8 again. Well, OK, it is fun, but I'd forgottent how long it can take to get money and how easy it is to spend it.
Especially if you got up to Advanced Armors already just so you can create Nordic weapons and arrows. Not only is finding it a pain, but it's SOOOO expensive (quicksilver that is :))

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I have never been a hoarder in any of my games. I always use enchanting so I always take daggers and jewellery. I very very rarely strip anyone of their armour (jeez guys, show some decency to the deceased) and I take other weapons only if they are enchanted or very high quality. Even than I dont mind leaving behind a glass greatsword.

I have no obsession with gold and for the first 40 levels Im lucky to have over 20 000gold at any point. Im also a chronic smith so I get a lot of money back from that and enchanted items, but I try to leave my vendors with about the same amount of money as they started by buying leather or gems or expensive ingots back off them.

Im over alchemy so much that I dont have any ingredients on me at all, ever. Unless of course I need them for a mission...

Like most people though, If I see a dragonbone weapon, I'll chop off my left arm just to make some room for it :p

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
after you log about 1k hours of game play amongs different builds, and have done literally every quest/ side mission the game loses it's luster, not that you can do 100% everything in a single play through, i've had to do several playthroughs to achieve just about all possibilities, it's time consuming but rather easy compared to previous TES games

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts