[Guide] How to get a Companion/Follower easy.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stone

Retired Moderator
Stone's Guide
How to get a Companion/Follower
Introduction
Welcome to my guide. This guide will teach you how to get a Companion/Follower easily.
Requirements
- No Requirements
The Guide
Firstly, you need to go to Whiterun. Get there anyway you want. Once you arrive in Whiterun, go east until you find the store named "The Bannered Mare". In the back of the main room, there will be a woman called "Uthgerd the Unbroken" Speak with her and she will challenge you to fight for 100 Gold in a fistfight.
Make sure that before you fight you do not have any weapons or magic equipped. Also, make sure you are a decent level as she is harder for low levels. Personally I'd recommend 10+ but that wont really be accurate. Fight her and beat her, then claim your 100 Gold coins. Next, speak with her again and there will be a new option to get her to "Follow you". If you press this, she will come with you to help in fights.
Have fun with your new Companion!

Auxilium

In my opinion..
My Lydia was just massacred last night by Krosis (Fireballed her to death). Is there any other companions that will follow you besides this one? Also will any other companion stay in your home or was that specific to Lydia since she was Housecarl?

There's plenty of followers out there my favorite two are benor and fenriel. Benor is another one u have to fist fight I can't remember the name of the town but I found him by a burnt down house where a little ghost child was playing around. Fenriel is in riverrun and he is just walking around all u got to do is talk to him and he'll go with u, the plus with fe that he can train u in archery which cost money but u can turn around and talk to him again and "borrow item with you" and take ur gold right back and do it again lol

Runs With Sporks

There is a much easier way, you can get a follower immediately after getting to Riverrun. Do Faendal's quest of delivering the letter to Camilla, and he will follow you.

Garrison

My companion was replaced by a quest-specific companion... once I complete the quest, will he re-appear? Or do I need to go fetch him?

Stone

Retired Moderator
My companion was replaced by a quest-specific companion... once I complete the quest, will he re-appear? Or do I need to go fetch him?
You will probably need to go fetch him, seen as the quest-specific companion has taken his place.

Mehoe123

Already had her she died in skirmish against Imperial Guards in Solitude. The same day playing I lost my wife using her as a companion I killed her lol. And poor Lydia bless her soul I lost her so long ago I bet her body is still in Dwemer Ruins.

Joe G

Same happened to me while I did the Companions Questline. Lydia left and I obtained Farkis. After I was finished, I was able to locate her in Dragonsreach and have her "follow me" again. Was worried at first due to the face she was carring 1300g worth of stuff :)

Cycoon

We should also take into account that, if you are a member of the College of Winterhold, you will have access to several quests; some of your fellow apprentices have things they want you to help them with. J'zargo wants you to test some scrolls for him (mind you, they explode upon use, so you better stock up on potions or be decent at restoration before attempting that one), that elf girl who wants to try a spell or two on you... and some Nord in robes that wants his precious family amulet back from someone. After completing these quests, I've been able to ask thema all to follow me. So yeah, I think those guys would work well. And isn't there a mercenary you can hire in Whiterun? (I don't know about other cities; haven't checked the inns)

Stone

Retired Moderator
We should also take into account that, if you are a member of the College of Winterhold, you will have access to several quests; some of your fellow apprentices have things they want you to help them with. J'zargo wants you to test some scrolls for him (mind you, they explode upon use, so you better stock up on potions or be decent at restoration before attempting that one), that elf girl who wants to try a spell or two on you... and some Nord in robes that wants his precious family amulet back from someone. After completing these quests, I've been able to ask thema all to follow me. So yeah, I think those guys would work well. And isn't there a mercenary you can hire in Whiterun? (I don't know about other cities; haven't checked the inns)
Yes your right, and there is a mercenary in quite a few cities, but the guide was ment to be for a quick-easy follower which doesn't require any quests ect. :)

Jbcarey

I've read that J'zargo is the "best" follower, so tonight, i'll be getting him to follow me.... I've misplaced Lydia, I do miss her, but need a replacement now...

I THINK she's most likely dead, but haven't seen a coroners report or such... Such a shame.

Justus

The keeper of the peace
I lost lydia in the Lost knife caves. I think she was slaughtered by a Greatsword wielding bandit thug. that guy was an asshole. i didnt even need to go in there. question, if you have a follower will the DB ever contact you? i am already in but just curious.

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
Two questions:
1. **SPOILER** After you do all the DB stuff, you have apprentices. Can they be used as followers? I'll test it but just thought I'd ask :)
2. Are there any followers who are archers or sneak type characters? Even a caster will do. Sorry if you mentioned someone above, I'm very tired.

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
Wonderful :D

Maz

I just use Faendal. Get the fake letter from Sven in Riverwood, tell Faendal, give Camilla fake from Sven, and then ask Faendal to follow you. Great having a pack mule through Bleak Falls Barrow.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts