Fendoril Brillian - The Journal of an Altmer Mage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Deetz08

Summary
- I will be playing a mage character follwing The College of Winterhold storyline and beyoned in the life of Fendoril Brillian. (WARNING - THERE WILL PROBABLY BE SPOILERS FOR THIS QUESTLINE!!)

Short Backstory
- Fendoril grew up in a poor family Outside the city of Alinor, his parents had gone against the order of the Thalmor before his birth and in return were stripped of all their belongings and outcast to live out of society. For this reason Fendoril grew up with no friends and had to come up with unique ways to keep himself entertained. He dabbled in all forms of magic growing up and found great interest in the arcane arts.

At the age of 16 Fendoril left his home outside the city and became an Alchemists assistant in Alinor. The Alchemist Selin provided Fendoril with documents to enter the city, Selin allowed Fendoril to take up residence in a large cellar under the shop. For four years Fendoril lived there and learned about alchemy and the use of potions and poisons through his work for Selin. Living in the city provided limited area of practice and indulgences of the arcane arts so Fendoril would sneak out at night and practice in secluded areas of the city.

One night a guard had followed him from the shop because there were recurring complaints of noise from the nearby residences. The guard approached Fendoril while he was in the middle of casting a spell. The guard startled him and in the excitement Fendoril directed the spell at the guard nearly killing him. Knowing he would be executed for his assault Fendoril ran back to the shop and gathered what gold he could and wearing only the clothes on his back he ran away from the city, away from Summerset Isles.

Having heard of the College of Winterhold in Skyrim in his time with Selin, Fendoril thoguht he may travel there and start a new life. It would be a safe Haven and a place to further study the arcane arts.

General Play Restrictions
- Allowed to leave game intro with the gold I find (money Fendoril has brought from home) and a dagger
- difficulty set to 'adept' (first time playing like this, trying to limit death time lol)
- HUD set to 0%
- only carry 30% of what game allows
- must fully sheath weapon/'sheath spells' to use a potion
- must have a hand free to pick anything up
- must not move around crouched for unreasonable amounts of time
- may not harvest unreasonable items (if a dead elk has a garnet don't take it)
- may not activate overpowered/unrealistic perks (like conditioning; heavy armor weighs nothing)
- must sleep for at least 8 hours every day (allowed to make rare exceptions)
- must eat at least 2 meals a day (allowed to make rare exceptions)
- may not enter freezing water unless on a horse
- may not use in-game map unless at a known location
- may not fast travel (except by cart)
- may not use exploits
- may not cut wood for money
- may only use manual saves after sleeping (resting)
- when character dies must load from the most recent save
- if character dies must return to an inn and wait (recover) for 7 days (if from autosave fast travel is allowed back to inn to simulate being unconscious)
- must spend 300 gold with the innkeep to cover room and board
- enchanting allowed (must wait 4 hours after learning new enchantments)
- alchemy allowed (must wait 1 hour to learn an ingredients properties by eating it)
- must wait 2 hours after reading any skill books

- a companion/friend does not require fee but must share 1/2 gold gained from loot (when following)
- a mercenary's fee is for (1) 24-hour period
- a companion may carry 10% of your carry ability
- when a companion/mercenary dies they are dead, no save loading
- a companion/mercenary must eat 2 meals per day if following you

- a horse may carry 10% of your own carry ability
- you may not access the 10% that your horse is carrying during combat
- when carrying items back to your horse you may not use sneak or have a weapon drawn
- horse must be fed 5 points of health per day (it is assumed horse will also eat grass)
- if horse dies it is dead, no save loading

Character Specific Restrictions
- not allowed to use shouts
- must apply level points to magika and health in a 2-1 fashion
- may not wear armor (only robes and clothing allowed)
- daggers are only weapon allowed to be used by PC - may only carry 15 lockpicks and 10 potions at any given time
- cannot pick locks past current knowledge

Deetz08

Sundas, 17th of Last Seed, 4E 201

I have finally crossed the border into Skyrim and oh how I was amazed with the beauty of the country here. Mountains jutted up towards the heavens, the sun shining brightly into the river making it sparkle with elegance, every color known to elf and man painting the landscape... Just beautiful.

My first Day in Skyrim was fairly uneventful, it was a short path from the border to a small town called Riverwood. There was however an abundance of ingredients to be picked during my short walk to Riverwood, only if Selin could be here to see just what I mean, he would be in paradise. Aside from all the ingredients that i picked on the way I also came across two slain wolves, I don't know what brought them to their fate but I am sure glad I did not cross paths with it, for if it could slay two wolves it surely would have made easy work of me. Regardless I didn't see any tracks or sense any immediate danger so I skinned the wolves of their pelts hoping I could maybe get a few coins for them.

Upon coming to the town of Riverwood I was greeted by a mother and her son in an argument about dragons, the old lady sounded crazy saying how the dragon was going to come and kill them all but her son just shrugged it off and told her it would never happen... I sure hope he is right, I mean dragons are just stories of past. The first building I came to was the Riverwood Trader. The shopkeep and who appeared to be his sister were arguing about thieves, I tried to quietly sit and listen but I guess they noticed me just sitting there staring at them. After talking to the shopkeep he told me that some thieves had stolen a solid gold claw from him, it seemed as if he were trying to hint that he wanted help but I needed to get to the College before too long so I decided not to offer. I exchanged the pelts for some bread and wine and a lockpick, one never knows when they may need one of those.

I then proceeded to the inn where I write this entry. In there I met a fellow named Orgnar I believe he seemed to doubt my ability in magic when I had asked him about the college and pretty much said studying magic was a fools errand, knowing he didn't have many positive things to say I quickly asked if I could use the alchemy table in the main hall so I could put these ingredients I picked to good use, he replied by asking if I even knew how to use it and insisted if I were to use it I must clean up my "mess" when I was done, I simply nodded back to the fellow. After tinkering around at the alchemy table I managed to create a potion that made spells of frost less harsh, I have never seen any of these ingredients before so it will be trial and error creating potions and poisons in Syrim.

I cannot wait to see what tomorrow has in store, Selin told me that a town called Whiterun would have a horse drawn carriage that would take me to Winterhold where the college is located. I will try to find this town called Whiterun tomorrow..

I almost forgot getting caught up in my excitement to mention that it appears no one has followed me to Skyrim, I can only hope the Thalmor don't indeed come looking for me..

Deetz08

Morndas, 18th of Last Seed, 4E 201

It would be my luck to end up locked away in some dungeon of Skyrim in my first full day in the lands. Yes I got hauled away to the Dragonsreach dungeon in Whiterun earlier today, the jail guard was nice enough to let me have my journal though so I could at least write and have something to keep me busy.. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I awoke this morning to a bard named Sven playing his lute in the main hall. As I meandered out into the main hall I noticed he was singing a song about a civil war and a man named Ulfric Stormcloak, I wasn't sure if this was a song of past or present and to be honest I did not much care, this land was not my homeland and I have not been here long enough to know who is in power or who to watch out for. The song was entertaining though and I sat and enjoyed it before setting out on my way to Whiterun.

I bid my farewell to the city and after packing my belongings set out of the city where I came to a sign post that pointed me in the direction of Whiterun, seeing the sign at least confirmed I was not on a wild fox chase to some pixy tale town. Just after turning from the sign I saw my first elk of Skyrim, it was a magnificent animal, it had large horns and stood much taller than myself, I approached it slowly but I must have spooked it when I put my hand out because it turned tail and hastily crossed a nearby river. After watching it cross the river it turned and looked back at me seeing if I was following and after seeing that I had stayed my position it went on happily with its grazing life. Not long after my encounter with the elk I was attacked by a wolf.

I was joyfully walking along the path picking more ingredients for potions when out of nowhere without a warning I was bit on my left leg, the pain bolted from my leg all the way up my body and I let out a loud yelp. As i jerked my leg free I was able to turn around and face my foe but before I could pull my dagger out the wolf had pounced on me and was biting and gnawing ferociously, It took all of my concentration blocking the beasts mouth with my arms.. Unable to pull my dagger from its sheath I did what only I could, I turned to the flame spell that nearly killed that guard back in Alinor. I pushed the wolf off my chest and directed to flames at the beast, it lit up like nothing I had seen before and only took seconds to succumb to the burning heat. I quickly gathered my senses and turned my head quickly about seeing if there was a pack with him or he was a rouge. I did not see any signs of more so either he was a lone wolf or seeing their pack brother set aflame frightened the others off. The smell of the wolfs burning hair and flesh was horrid and I knew I trying to skin the wolf and sell its pelt would be a waste of time, no one would want to buy that stinking burned up pelt.

I then continued along the path to whiterun and within an hours walk I rounded a bend in the path and there it was.. This was more a city than a town, it seemed to be place perfectly among the vastness of the plains surrounding it and its highest point rivaled that of some of the peaks I had seen on my travel into Riverwood. It was beautiful for the time being, but after being hauled into the depths of the Reach here it has lost some of its beauty.

Walking down the path towards the city walls I came across some soldiers that had a captive, I tried approaching them to ask if this city we were approaching was indeed Whiterun but all they had to say was "Imperial business only" and told me to leave them alone. getting no information out of them I spotted a guard that looked similar to those I had seen in Whiterun standing against a signpost at a T in the road. I approached the fellow and before I could even open my mouth he had said that he knows me. I must have looked like a fool because I wasn't sure what to say back except, "you must be thinking of someone else." looking back on my response that was probably not the smartest thing to say.. Anyways the guard told me he was in fact looking for me and said I had stolen some things.. He grabbed my arm and said I must serve time in jail for my crime, not knowing what in Tamriel he was talking about I pondered telling him I didn't have time for this, but on second thought it would probably be better to just serve the jail time and not resist, I never have been one to intentionally break law, and tonight it still holds true, I have no clue what he thought I had stolen but on our walk to Dragonsreach I tried explaining and he would not listen.

My cell is rancid and they didn't even take the time to remove the previous detainee who was laying face down on the cell floor dead.. I knew he was dead 'cuase I kicked his body trying to awaken him but he did not budge, after rolling him over it was immediately obvious that he had expired due to the rotting flesh on his face, as I rolled him over a few coins dropped from his clothing, not seeing any harm in gathering these coins from the floor I figured since the guards took my money I would at least try to sneak this money out so I wasn't dirt poor when they released me.

The guard just told me that i would be released tomorrow morning and would be given all of my "not stolen" equipment back, I am beginning to think they just threw me in jail only to steal what little money I had but who knows, What I do know is that I can't wait for tomorrow so I can get this burning reek out of my nose.. I will now eat these bread crumbs and drink this horrifying looking water the guards have provided me with and try to sleep, I sure do hope tonight doesn't last and eternity.

Deetz08

Tirdas, 19th of Last Seed, 4E 201

As promised the guards let me out of jail this morning, thank Akatosh! I do not wish that any good man ever have to spend more than a flash of time in one of those hell of a holes! The water constantly dripping from the ceilings pelting your entire body, the stench of decaying flesh and all other things that produce smell in these places, the moans and groans of any of those unlucky enough or evil enough to deserve to be locked away until their eventual demise, all of that will be scarred on my memory.. and nostrils.. for some time.

It was like being born again, coming out into the open air. I had never been so appreciative of the freshness of the outdoors.. nevertheless I still felt disgusting so my first order of business was to find a river to bathe in. On my way out of the city I overheard a guard saying a Dragon had attacked "Helgen" only a few days ago, it was probably the same nut for brain guard that had me thrown in jail for nothing, so I didn't really think twice to what he had to say about it. After leaving the noisy chatter of the city I found a river near the stables to clean up in, it felt most refreshing to get the jail cell scum wiped from my flesh and clothing.

Shortly after I made my way to the stables and found the caravan that Selin had told me about, the caravaneer insisted that I come up with 50 coins and told me "I don't do charity." after I asked if he could make an exception. The last time I was this poor I was but a child and always had at least a few gold coins to my name. After remembering I had the 7 coins from the body in the jail cell I became slightly optimistic and told the caravaneer that I would return at sunrise to travel to Winterhold.

Most of my day was then spent gathering ingredients around the outskirts of the city, I attempted to catch a few fish but my lack of superior coordination stopped me from catching but one salmon. The butterflied were much easier to catch, as I didn't risk slipping on a wet rock and being puled under the current and also because they themselves were not wet and slippery and didn't seem to care much when I approached them. during my collecting I saw another elk that I followed over a ridge and much to my amazement I saw a creature much larger than the elk, it seemed to be bigger than a house, had a nose that hung to the ground and horns appearing to be coming out of its mouth, I didn't want to get to close and examine them further because they seemed to be guarded by giant men with clubs, in my short time in Skyrim I have seen and heard hings that are beginning to make me wonder if I'm going insane or if these lands are really as majestic and mysterious as they appear. I made a mental note to ask what those mammoth creatures were when I returned to Whiterun.

And so after observing these giant creatures and eating a meal of grilled chicken and an apple I returned to Whiterun to sell of my collection of ingredients. A man named Belethor ran the general store and paid decent coin for my flowers and butterfly wings, this was much to my amazement, he told me he will buy anything and to return to him when i want to get rid of my junk. I was still shorthanded on coin though So I traveled out beyond the gates again for a second round of gathering. Remembering seeing a wolf nearby the area the guard apprehended me I figured I would travel back to that T and see if he was sill there a wolf pelt would surely brring in more money than a few flowers. Sure enough the wolf was still there waiting next to the road across a bridge waiting for an unsuspecting traveler to pass by, I however was not an unsuspecting traveler, and I knew I would have the upper hand seeing him before he saw me. I unsheathed my steel dagger that I had brought from Selin's store and rustled some nearby bushes, the wolf's ears perked up and he immediately started running towards the bush I was behind, before he knew I was there I began slashing wildly at the beasts face striking many times and fending off the wicked teeth it had gnashing out at me. before the wolf could get a single bit in he lay lifeless on the grass. Very proud of the quick work I made of the wolf I began skinning it with a smile on my face, I seemed to be getting okay at this whole fighting business, the next guard that tries to steal from me better watch out!

Some time had passed and I returned to town with the wolf pelt and more butterflies and flowers, but to my disappointment Belethor had already shut down shop so I made my way over to a hunters post in the market area and sold the hunter the wolf pelt, I bragged about my kill but the hunter just chuckled at me and asked if I was new around these lands, I told him I was and he wasn't surprised. I tried selling him the other stuff I had gathered but he refused to buy it saying he had no use of such things but he pointed me to and alchemists shop across the market. I believe the madams name was Acadia that ran the alchemy, she was a very kind lady but she kept insisting that I had contracted a disease and was trying to sell me potions I could not afford, I came to the conclusion that maybe I still stunk like the jail cell from the night before.. She gladly accepted my gatherings and told me she would put them to good use and told me to return if I needed training in alchemy..

By that time the sun had started setting and I knew I wanted to get up very early for my trip to Winterhold, I am overly excited to be making the trip so soon after my arrival to Skyrim, too bad it wasn't a day sooner though thanks to that dimwit guard. I made my way to the Bannered Mare Inn ran by a woman named Hulda, I was greeted with a warm welcome and was told to enjoy the fire and a song from the local bard as well as a bottle of mead, and so I did. Before making my way up to my room I asked Hulda about those giant creatures I saw earlier in the day, she told me they were called Mammoths and the men that herded them were called Giants... I thought it funny that they were both named simply after describing words, but I guess everything can't have a mysterious name in this mysterious land.

I must stop writing now so I can sooner see what tomorrow brings..

Deetz08

This is awesome! Keep 'em coming! :)

Thank you, glad you like it ;) keep an eye out for updates, I plan to update it frequently even if no one follows lol, I am definitely having having a blast actually paying attention to what happens around me in game instead of "go here do this" kind of play

Deetz08

Thanks for the tip! all advice is welcome btw :D

Deetz08

Middas, 20th of Last Seed, 4E 201

Alas, my journey has finally brought me to the town of Winterhold, home of the Mages College.

My day began very early, I could barely sleep last night due to all the thoughts dancing through my head about the College. Without hesitation I payed Hulda for the room at the Bannered Mare and with my short goodbye I was out the door, without stopping to talk to anyone I quickly made my way outside the City gates and to Bjorlam the caravaneer. I payed the man his money and off we were.

The journey took a better part of the day, I wish I would have brought reading material or a new spell to learn so I could impress those at the College upon my arrival but in my haste out of the city.. Well I didn't grab anything.. Nevertheless Bjorlam and I had good conversation on our trip and he pointed out many sights of Skyrim as we passed them. We also talked about the College and the city of Winterhold, he must have been getting quite bored of my questions though as I could not keep back my excitement and picked his brain of everything he knew about the two.

We arrived to the freezing city of Winterhold at around 4pm today, I thanked Bjorlam for the ride and answers as well as the genuine company, he felt like my first true friend of Skyrim and I told him anytime he is in town I would buy him a drink. He said he had other clients awaiting in Whiterun and with our farewells he vanished off back into the heavy snow.

The city appears to be in ruins, only the buildings on what I assume are the main road through town are left standing, the buildings and houses on the outskirts of town are in shambles, upon making my way to the inn which was the first building I came to I learned that some years ago there was a great collapse which nearly destroyed the entire city, it is said that some believe that it was the wizards of the College themselves that had a hand in causing this. People believe this because the College itself was protected almost completely while all of its surroundings succumbed to the collapse, it will be interesting to learn more about this, I am seeing now that I will have many more questions than I initially though, this city is shrouded in mystery!

After having a late lunch I visited the general store to sell off a few potions I had made the night before in Acadias alchemy shop, they brought in very good coin and I was very grateful to have some money in my possession.

It was then time to approach the grand College. I was in awe as I approached just its front entrance, it was a building of masterwork like nothing I had seen before. My awe was cut short by a High Elf named Faralda however. Before I could speak to her she asked what I was doing here, so I told her that I wished to study the arcane arts and there origin, I left out the part of this being a sanctuary for what I had done in my home city though, I think it's best if no one in Skyrim ever finds out about that horrific night. She told me that my cause for being at the College was noble but I would have to prove my worthiness, remember I said I wish I had brought a spell book to study on my travel from Whiterun? well she wanted me to cast a spell that would heal her called Healing Hands, I simply told her that I did not know that spell, I only knew of one that would heal myself. She said while that is a very good spell to know it would not pass by her standards, she told me for 30 gold she would teach me the Healing Hands spell but after my arrival and money spent in the in I did not have enough coin for her teachings so I told her I would be back in the morning to learn the spell and hopefully prove my worthiness to gain entry to the College.

It was getting late anyways so I made my way to the inn and sold some more of my leftover ingredients to ensure I had coin for a room tonight and the spell tomorrow. While speaking to the Innkeeper she told me about a regular patron that owed her money for the drinks he has bought over the months that are un-payed and asked if I would possibly be able to speak to the man about this because her words carried no weight with him, I told her that I would try but I cold not promise anything. After speaking to the man it seemed the only way to get the money would be to pay our of my own pocket for him, I would gladly help the citizens of Whiterun only if I had the coin but sadly that will have to wait for a later date. I paid for my room and was shown to it by the bartender. upon entering the room I saw a book on the table and since it was still early figured I would read it, it was about a traveler named Spartior Murius and his travels of Skyrim, the book was about the city of Solitude, the book spoke of the beauties and grand scale of the city, it was fairly interesting and had me wanting to someday visit the city of Kings.

I have just finished my readings of Solitude here at The Frozen Hearth Inn and am quite sleepy, today was a long day but definitely a stepping stone here in the land of Skyrim, may Akatosh bless whoever may someday read this and I bid said readers goodnight!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts