• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I'm about 10 hours into a new play through having not played Skyrim for about a year. the play through itself is based on an old, unfinished one I'd started before.

I've done a complete re-install of the game (legendary edition) and all the mods I want to use (all up to date as of last week). Up to this point the game has been pretty stable - I've had a couple of non-repeated CTDs, nothing overly concerning and perhaps caused by overheating. In total there are about 200 mods - a combination of graphics and gameplay.

I now have a permanent, repeatable CTD. I've partially built Lakeview Manor; from the outside everything is OK (although performance isn't great). I can go inside, do whatever I need to do with no problems but as soon as I try and leave I get a CTD. Going back to a previous save shows this is consistent.

If I start a new game as owner of Lakeview (using Live Another Life) and walk outside I get the same problem. If I use the console and COC to an exterior location I get the CTD; if I COC to an interior location I arrive, but when leaving that location the CTD happens (if I then COC to yet another interior location I seem to be able to leave normally - I can then walk back to Lakeview, discover the location and enter the house - if I leave then the CTD happens).

This only happens at Lakeview - the other Hearthfire houses seem to work OK. However, if I start at Heljarchen and COC to BYOHHouse1Exterior then I get the CTD.

I have a few mods that would be likely culprits, but I've tried disabling each in turn and there's no noticeable effect (i.e., the CTD works in the same way). I've used TESVEdit to check for any references to BYOH across all mods beyond the obvious - so far disabling them seems to have no effect.

Can anyone suggest ANYTHING that might help me track this down? I'm willing to abandon the current game (but knowing that I can never own Lakeview again is annoying).

I guess writing the problem down helped me solve it.

Turned out that it was a combination of Verdant (a grass mod) and Skrim Flora Overhaul; moving back to an older version of SFO and removing Verdant resolved the issue. I discovered this by creating a new, blank profile (no mods) then adding them in small groups until the problem recurred. Once I'd identified that I could test on my full save and removing the offending mods.

This also explains the performance drop I think, but I'm still not sure why it would only cause a problem in that specific situation!

JoeReese

Just now seeing this. Sorry. Glad you got it handled, though. Ever since Steam made the big change, everything has been SNAFUed with Skyrim and mods, especially if they're workshop mods.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts