PC Dawnguard keeps crashing. can't keep on playing

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Blackchai

Since I bought Dawnguard on Steam, Skyrim have started to crash, crash, crash. All the time. But usually I could just restart the game and keep on playing. But now I've come to the door that is supposedly going to the Auriel Bow. To the Inner Sanctum. And everytime I go through that door it crashes without error message and without freezing, it just cuts directly to my desktop. Everytime, without exception. I've tried loading from other saves, unequpping everything i have on me and telling Serana to wait outside, but nothing helps. And since it is nessecary to go through that door to keep on playing, I am now stuck and can't play Dawnguard anymore unless they fix this problem. I haven't encountered anyone else having this problem yet. So what do I do?

AlienArchon

Since I bought Dawnguard on Steam, Skyrim have started to crash, crash, crash. All the time. But usually I could just restart the game and keep on playing. But now I've come to the door that is supposedly going to the Auriel Bow. To the Inner Sanctum. And everytime I go through that door it crashes without error message and without freezing, it just cuts directly to my desktop. Everytime, without exception. I've tried loading from other saves, unequpping everything i have on me and telling Serana to wait outside, but nothing helps. And since it is nessecary to go through that door to keep on playing, I am now stuck and can't play Dawnguard anymore unless they fix this problem. I haven't encountered anyone else having this problem yet. So what do I do?
I have the same exact problem. my PC has i7, 12gb ram, etc. Uninstalled and reinstalled, tried every other trick i could think of, but nothing works. We need help please!! Anyone? No problems with CTD before Dawguard, not this persistent anyhow

Seriph

I'm having the same problem. Rather frustrating as it's been so long since I saved in another slot. So many hours of work I'd have to undo just to play this character again. I'd rather not, so anybody who can come up with a fix, if you'd please post it up here, I'd so greatly appreciate it.

FUNNY_FACE_GUY

Me to! the same thing just that i noticed the crashes only start to happen when I start the DawnGaurd quest. my PC has i5, 8gb ram. before the dlc it ran fine, now i can't even play. I keep uninstalling mod loading the saves before the quest trying on different characters. Nothing works and I feel I have been cheated 20$.

Bira96

The same thing happens to my brother, except much earlier in the questline. His Skyrim always crashes without error message, strait to the desktop when the dragon Durnehviir shows up and roars. The game always crashes whenever he attempts to use Fus Ro dah as well. The only clue I have from all of your comments is that it could be a problem with DawnGuard itself, the DLC is flawed in some way that's causing it to crash. Either that, or Dawngaurd is conflicting with some mod, but that can't be for my brother's case because he doesn't have any mods that involve dragons. If it's neither of those things, then I am stumped. Is there anyone that can help?

Sarlon

im getting the same thing, only i can;t even get close to the dawnguard base. i jump to the stone nearest to it and after i start walking, it just cuts right to my desktop. its pissing me off big time.

WarnedBob

I found a work around for the Auriel Bow quest that worked for me to get around the constant crashing on pc that drove me mad.. First punch in "tmm 1" in the console command thingy to unlock all the map markers, second jump to the forgotten vale(it shouldn't crash) third type "tlc" in the console command to make the journey quicker and to get to blocked doors, sneak too so you don't disturb anything you shouldn't, keep going to the entrance to Skyrim without going though it because I assume it would crash and you're there. Not sure if it will still crash afterwards as well, I'll find out :) Hope any of that might help someone

that_bloody_hippy

windows 7 e2-bit SP1
AMD Phenom IIXJ4 965 Processor,
4.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Since I bought Dawnguard on Steam CTD constantly. I got fed up with it all and have deleted everything that had to do with Skyrim or Steam from my computer, cleaned reg etc. I have 483 hrs playing this game and no problems, I have used several mods, all of which have been deleted, and the mod manager.I have reinstalled Steam and Skyrim. No mods and no updates of any kind. I just would like to be able to start over and play the game, however, my the game crashes to desktop as the game is starting at the point when notice comes on and says to 'use move to move view'. Any ideas from anyone on what I should try next?

huru

TBH

vince

I also have the same problem. Every time i enter the inner sanctum he game crashed a minute later. Before i made it to the sanctum it was constantly freezing over and over for a couple seconds at a time. I reinstalled and am running vanilla skyrim and it is still crashing. I also cannot acquire the dragon shout in the lost vale. i see it there but it wont transfer to me. I have like 240 some hours in and the character im currently using is a 51. i hope there is some way to fix this :sadface:

that_bloody_hippy

I just updated my video card and it took care of all of my problems....give it a go mate. I am just back to playing and it is great. I have heaps of mods installed and every thing works fine... sweet.

LadyRatspeaker

I have the same problem, crashing as soon as I try to enter the Inner Sanctum, EVERY time. I even tried playing the game (through Steam) on another PC and I still crashed in the same spot. I took Bethesda's suggestions and updated graphics & audio drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Deleted my (one) mod. No dice. VERY frustrating. I would really like to progress through the Dawnguard storyline.

Minus2Degrees

Orcish Samurai Dual-Wielding Cuisinart
It's not currently known exactly which mods are causing these crash issues, but the danger is clear: the effects of some mods cannot be completely removed from a saved game, due to the presence of leftover script calls.

Up to the time Dawnguard was released, this was much less of a problem; however, Dawnguard is known to completely flip out in the presence of mod scripts it doesn't agree with, because modders have not yet caught up to the additions that the expansion has introduced.

Until mods can be updated to accommodate Dawnguard, save games can and will be rendered totally unplayable.

I have two characters myself, both of which make moderate (about 25 or so) use of mods, mostly graphics related. Both are now unplayable because of crashing after the 1.7 patch that was released to prepare the game for Dawnguard. The save games have leftover garbage that the expansion chokes on, even after installing the mods completely, in fact even after reinstalling the entire game.

Most forums are recommending uninstalling all mods and starting a completely new character, free of mod scripts, that can be used for playing the Dawnguard quests -- however ridiculously inconvenient such a suggestion may be, of course, it seems to be the only option until the modders can update their add-ons.

Madnad

So I bought and DL'd this last night - kinda wish I had looked on here before I did. For me, it crashes everytime I enter the Dawnguard Tower after speaking to Durak outside. Disabled mods, still happens. Disabled Dawnguard - game works fine *sigh*

Minus2Degrees

It happens for different people in different locations. With me, I have no problem with it until I enter the Soul Cairn. Then, crash crash crash.

LadyRatspeaker

So I took the suggestion to start playing from a previous save game. When I got to the Inner Sanctum again, I made it through. It sounds as if my other save game got corrupted somehow. I'm glad I finally got to progress through the end of the Dawnguard story.

Madnad

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed? Has there been any DG patches?

I confess I was so frustrated after I downloaded the DLC a month ago that I haven't been able to bring myself to play the game since. I really want to try Hearthfire too, but after the disaster that was DG I am nervous.

Ochre Jelly

I have had problems since installing Dawnguard. I love it- - I love Dawnguard. I would rather have DG than pretty much any and all mods.

Alas, I had 30 or so fairly basic mods (no WARZONES or UFO -type fancy stuff, more like some new pieces of armor and texture replacers) in my 550-hour 62nd-level character (I know, ridiculous) and DAWNGUARD doesn't seem to like the Skyrim environment that I dropped it into. First I got a soul cairn ctd, at about the point where someone above mentioned talking to Durnehviir.

Since then, a bounty of ctds and freezes. I tried to junk most of my mods and keep DG. I try to avoid mods with scripts, and I attempted the "stopquest zGoreEffectsNPCQuest" -type console commands to uninstall "Enhanced Blood Textures", the one mod I've used that has a script folder as far as I know. Anyway, NO LUCK. DG still keeps freezing or crashing. Looks like now I have to remove DG and probably go back to a pre-DG save. :*(

By the way, my papyrus logs keep showing a repeating error on the DAWNGUARD RUNE AXE .psc. I've never touched that weapon or quest. I've used the Dust Drop fix provided by Steve40 on the Nexus to get rid of the fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT error, but that rune axe one, man, don't know how to get rid of that. My savegame is 14.5mb, so crazy savegame bloat is not a major issue either.

Minus2Degrees

Yeah, it's almost November, and this is still happening for me. I spent a month and a half building an entirely new character for the express purpose of playing Dawnguard, and almost never had any crashes, even playing through the Dawnguard quests... until I entered the Soul Cairn.

Again.

And now, I can't walk ten feet in there without horrible crashes, even a BSOD at one point. I have no idea what's happening, or how to fix it.

Yes, I have mods installed, but none of the sound effect ones, and all the rest have never caused me any problem with any other area of the game. Just the Soul Cairn.

My save games are 10MB or thereabouts, so I don't think this is because of bloat. I have already been through this before with a previous character, and it was never solved then, either.

I have never seen any part of the DLC beyond the Soul Cairn. Once I got as far as Durneviir, the dragon in the Soul Cairn, but never got anywhere past it.

And I'm really getting sick of this.

Ochre Jelly

@Minus2Degrees-
Oh man! That is the most frustrating aspect of "troubleshooting" something like Skyrim right? You don't even know if it is going to work, and the test subject is actually a very personal creation (your character).

I'm about to uninstall DG with all that entails, and see if I can get a save to work somewhere back down the line. It's been two weeks since my Soul Cairn crash, tried everything else in the meantime, and I want to use my character again! I'll let you know how it goes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts