Critics Are Impressed With Xenoblade Chronicles X

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Peter Paltridge

Administrator
We've got three days until the sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles goes on sale. The embargo has been lifted for reviews, and they're all positive, though flaws are admitted.

Phil Kollar of Polygon scored it a 7 out of 10 and said, "Xenoblade Chronicles X finds itself in a constant struggle between scale and bloat. When I crested over the game's first mountaintop and saw a dinosaur drinking from a lake in the valley below, it was amazing--one of those rare video game moments that can be described as "epic" without hyperbole. But the UI is just one example of how X gets in its own way, hiding its beautiful world beneath overly complicated and under-explained systems that just don't add enough."

Peter Brown of Gamespot gave it an 8 and added, "X is a grand adventure that satiates your appetite for exploration and combat in ways that few games ever do, but because getting started is half the battle, it’s an experience reserved for dedicated players who have the patience and energy to unearth its greatest treasures."

GamesRadar gave it a 3.5 out of 5 and said, "Like Mira itself, trying to get a grasp of Xenoblade Chronicles X can be inscrutable and vexing at times. But in a way, that quest for knowledge often mimics the plight of the humans who find themselves stranded on the alien planet that becomes humanity's new home. Understanding Xenoblade's complexity isn't easy or always immediately obvious, but stick with it and you'll find a vast, untamed land where simply existing is its own reward."

Matt Miller of Game Informer was harshest on it, though his score was the same at 7.5 out of 10: "I began Xenoblade Chronicles X filled with enthusiasm for its intriguing world and gorgeous visuals. But like the hackneyed songs that play ad nauseum throughout, the gameplay doesn't have enough depth or entertainment to sustain such a prolonged experience. Players with great patience for grinding are rewarded with intriguing places to discover and creatures to fight, but for me, only a handful of the 100 hours I spent wandering Mira felt like a true adventure."

Xenoblade Chronicles X currently has a Metacritic score of 84 and will be out for the Wii U on December 3.
View the Post on the Blog

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts