Critical damage bonus are a joke.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShadowGambit

Anyone else thinking that Critical damage bonus are a joke?

That's what 50% ok the BASE UNSMITHED DAMAGE of your weapon and APPLIED AT THE END OF THE FORMULA?

That will give you a mere max of 10pts additional damage. When in the end game, you are doing damage by the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS (yes, with "s").

Let say a thousand damage (pretty doable if you have Armsman 5/5, Armor with +192% one handed and Fortify One Handed +147% and a fully upgraded weapon.) So your Critical bonus is ... 1% of your damage. AWWWEESSSSOOOOMMME isn't it? Worth the every penny of the 3 perks invested to get critical. And I didn't count the sneak multiplier yet

No seriously, critical is a JOKE. Critical should at least add 30% to your damage. Or even double it. That would be a critical. 1% is a scratch. (0,17% for sneak attack with One Handed weapon, not daggers)

stagnant94

please explain to me why in gods green earth you would need critical hits when your doing hundreds or thousands of points of damage?

ShadowGambit

To one shot an ancient dragon :Dragonborn:

1000 pts of damage output can be taken down to 200, if your target has an armor rating of 567+.

I know, NPC rarely have that, but still.

My point is that the way Critical damage bonus is calculated makes it ridiculously low, making it nearly useless

stagnant94

1000 pts of damage output can be taken down to 200, if your target has an armor rating of 567+.

I know, NPC rarely have that, but still.

My point is that the way Critical bonus damage bonus is calculated makes it ridiculously low, making it nearly useless
its only useless if your weapon is hugely powerful, its a massive help if its not that high

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
With 3 points in Bladesman, isn't it +100% damage with a 20% chance of such?

This was how I interpreted it:
1 point invested +0% damage + (base = 50%), 10% chance. Crit = 150% of base damage of weapon.
2 points invested +25% damage + (base crit increase = 50%), 15% chance. Crit = 175% of base damage of weapon.
3 points invested +50% damage + (base crit increase = 50%), 20% chance. Crit = 200% of base damage of weapon.

I still typically invest nothing in critical increases, except 1 point in the Archery Tree to get to Ranger if I go heavy on that character with Archery. I would agree that presently, the way crit damage is calculated, isn't worth the investment.

... Unless you're roleplaying with certain restrictions (no smithing/enchanting/alchemy) of course.

ShadowGambit

The thing is that it is not your weapon that makes the most of your damage. That's your perks in your combat skill and the different other MULTIPLIER.

Example: An Elven Sword (easy and quick to find) upgrade with just 100 smithing and the Elven perk. With Armsman 5/5 and 100 One Handed, will do 93 damage.

You should easily be able to get that when you are around level 20, so not very late in the game

You maximum critical bonus will be 5pts... 5% bonus. Buy a potion, you will have a better result, instead of wasting 3 perks. Note that if you can get those 3 perks, you should be around lvl 10 already.

So, because Critical Bonus damage is not function of the multipliers, and only of the base unsmithed damage of your weapon, the result is a VERY weak improvement.

Otar Killed Mah Dog XD

End Their Lives Quickly
I agree criticals just waste your perks
------my daedric bow---2504 damage--------
------my daedric bow+critical shot perk 3/3------2528 damage------
TOTALWASTEOFAPERK!!!!!!!!!!!

sahqonsah

Is it really that low!!! What a waste I thought it was based on the damage you do plus a percentage based on how many perks you have in bladesman etc. So let me get this right, it does an added damage bonus based on the BASE damage of the weapon you use, ie, not having ANYTHING to do with your skills or damage output? Am I missing something?

ShadowGambit

Sahqonsah, that's exactly how you are saying it.
Nothing to do with skills (outside of teh perk for critical) or total damage output. Just your basic base damage from your weapon.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
From the UESP:

• Bladesman only works off of base damage of the weapon, which is a fraction of a total damage at high levels. For example using a Legendary Daedric Sword with 100 One-handed and 5/5 Armsman you will deliver 72 damage per hit. However base damage for Daedric Sword is only 14, so 3/3 Bladesman perk will have 20% chance to cause 10.5 additional damage. For reference, a critical hit with a 1h iron sword will do an extra 3 damage at Bladesman 1, or 4.5 damage at Bladesman 3 (1.5x the base crit damage). For a 1h Daedric sword, it would be 7 and 10.5, respectively. Nothing modifies these numbers, so even if you're doing 300 damage a hit "normally", a crit would still only do 3-10.5 more damage.

• The bleeding effect of Hack and Slash depends on weapon material and skill level and lasts six seconds. However even a Daedric weapon used with level 3 of Hack and Slash will cause only 18 bleeding damage. While multiple bleeding effects stack, by the time you apply several of them the enemy will most likely already be dead. However, this is useful for playing the game on Master level. Note also it appears that multiple bleeds will not apply from the same weapon material, so 3 quick slashes with a daedric weapon will not stack 3 bleeds (verification needed)

• The armor-ignoring effect of Bone Breaker is almost completely irrelevant because most enemies are lightly armored. Even heavy armored enemies frequently have no armor skill, no armor perks and no armor upgrades, so an opponent clad full in Daedric Armor will have 49+18+18+23=108 armor rating, which gives him a negligible damage reduction
Skyrim:One-handed - UESPWiki

ShadowGambit

Thank you Streets for adding to my point...

USELESS

ShadowGambit

Armsman is worth every point of it. With Armsman 5/5 it will effectively DOUBLE the damage of your upgraded weapon.

Take it ASAP if your main attack is one handed weapon, either with Sword, Mace, Axe or even Dagger.

Pileggi

When I found this out a few months ago I was really disappointed as well. Not only are the critical strike perks completely useless but bleed and ignore armor are also flawed beyond use.

It baffles me that a dev actually sat there and programmed these mechanics and thought ''yeah these are well balanced and fun to use, I'll put them in the final product''.

They need to patch these perks soon, make criticals based on total weapon damage, make bleeds stack and do more weapon damage and completely overhaul the mace perk, it's totally absurd! Most creatures don't even have over 100 armor as difficulty and health serves as damage mitigation, again a sign that the devs who designed these mechanics probably had very little understanding of the game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts