PC Crashing to Desktop on loading screens

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ks17

Anytime I hit New it loads for a while then eventually crashes to desktop. I thought it might be the intro video so I downloaded a save that is placed right after the intro video, tried continuing and loading from there, but it did not work. I have tried many of the quick fixes, such as the common sound fix, tried the Skyrim4GB mod, and another performance mod. Nothing has been working at all. For anyone that can help here are the basic specs for my computer: (If you need anymore info just ask)

System: TOSHIBA Satellite C650
Processor: Intel Pentinum CPU P6200 @ 2.13 gHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Device
Name: Intel HD Graphics
Total Memory: 1696MB
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2189

-Any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated, any if anybody would like any more information about my system, just ask and I'll respond asap. Thanks all!

Ks17

Ah, the newest patch, yes it automatically installed via Steam when I first launched Skyrim.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
That could be your problem. I'd first run an integrity check to make sure the patch actually downloaded and installed properly. You can do that by going to properties on the game and doing check file integrity.

Ks17

That could be your problem. I'd first run an integrity check to make sure the patch actually downloaded and installed properly. You can do that by going to properties on the game and doing check file integrity.

Alright, I just performed the integrity check and after reaching 100% it says all files verified, and indicates no issues whatsoever.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Well since the only thing that changed since the last time you played is that recent update then i'd see about removing the update and trying to load your save.

Ks17

Well since the only thing that changed since the last time you played is that recent update then i'd see about removing the update and trying to load your save.

Steam won't let me play without the patch applied. Plus I have never been able to load the game on PC before. Just got it today. Have it on PS3 as well though, but no problems there.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Oh, damn. There's no error or indication of what happened at all? I could try and run you through dumping a log and figuring it out, but that would take a long time. I can't think of any other problem than maybe your graphics card crashing or something. Here's a website with a list of everything to try out: Skyrim Ultra List

Ks17

Oh, damn. There's no error or indication of what happened at all? I could try and run you through dumping a log and figuring it out, but that would take a long time. I can't think of any other problem than maybe your graphics card crashing or something. Here's a website with a list of everything to try out: Skyrim Ultra List

Okay well thanks for the advice, if you ever feel like having me dump a log and you try to figure out the problem, just lemme know ;) Until then I'll check out the list and be open to any advice anybody else can give!

Ks17

Surprisingly this morning, the game actually ran. All settings on low, it was still quite laggy and choppy, which I intend to investigate more, but it actually ran. Not sure what I did that fixed it though...

Schuelz189

I've been having this problem too, random crashes with no error message. Apperently there are problems with skyrim only having a 2Gb memory limit. There are mods where you can up it to a 4Gb limit. This obviously won't help you if you only have 2Gbs of RAM in your rig. I'm installing the mod right now, I'll post if it helps.

Heres where I found the info and link to the mod.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/skyrim-crashing-to-desktop--no/1261035?page=5

Schuelz189

I've been playing on ultra for the last 2 hours and not a single crash.

Simple setup for the mod, just extract to the desktop and use the Skyrim4gb to play the game instead of the normal shortcut.

Hope this works for you!

Dominicus Saxon

I'm having the crashing problem too, always at the part where I pick my race. I clicking the link above to get that mod but it says the file's been hidden and can't be viewed or downloaded. Is there another link that will get the mod for Skyrim4GB somewhere ?

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
Are you looking up things you shouldn't be????

Dustman

The Silver Blade
If your Skyrim is updated to version 1.9, then 4 GB Skyrim is irrelevant, as one of the prior updates integrated that.

I imagine you use mods, and perhaps Nexus Mod Manager to order them?

Game crashes are caused with a mod load order error. Here's a video by a very helpful mod author, mod reviewer, play-througher, and tech-helper, Gopher of GophersVids on YouTube:

This will cover a helpful program called BOSS, and a mod-load order testing program, called TES5Edit. The video for TES5Edit is linked in the description. With these two programs, you should be able to solve your issue, if it is still is one. Gopher is very good at explaining everything.

Hope this helps all of you above!

Also: Gopher's channel not only includes mod reviews, but also helps with difficult installation. I suggest watching all of his videos, especially the one for SKSE. He tries to keep his tutorials up to date.

Dominicus Saxon

What if we just installed the game and don't have any mods yet ? Mine crashes to desktop at the same place every time - when I try to pick my race to play. I have a quad core, 64-bit with 6gb ram but my video card is a gt 430 from nvidia. Think it's just a too small of a video card issue ?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts