PC Crashes to Desktop on saving

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hivemind

I've searched google on this subject for a long time, it was through what I read that I started to work out it was to do with saving.
Everytime, I quicksave, autosave or manually save, it'll crash.

From what I've read, it seems like the savefile is gone.
Suggestions I've attempted; people have said once the savefile gets too big it causes problems, so waiting or sleeping will shrink the file. My save file is only 11mb, I tried sleeping for a week then saving, still crashed.
I also tried loading a previous save file that I know once worked and same problem.

The game is unplayable now, which saddens me because I was really into it.
If anyone has any insight into this I'd really love to hear.

my specs are:
i5 2500K
GTX570 296.10
8GB ram
Xonar D2X Sound

Same problem here m8... Im almost certain its a problem with skyrim, not with your computer. Iv lower specs than you yet iv a save file almost twice your size!.. Check your save game in my documents -> my games -> skyrim... When you tried saving and it crashes to desktop, you might notice a save game does exist, the difference is, all the other saves will end in .ess, these files will end in .tmp.. If this is the case for you then our problems are matched in unity!

If it is indeed the same issue, apparently .tmp means windows 7 has succesfully saved the file, but failed in trying to convert it to .ess so that skyrim will register it and it appears in-game. This sounds to me more like a fault with skyrim itself than our computers, because many others experience the same issue..

One of the things that might have lead me to this arrow in the knee, is my constant bewildering climax for downloading more and more mods.. i cannot help myself! i have about 100 mods downloaded, but i can only have about 60 of them ticked under my data folders or skyrim ctd's when i try to load any save game. Funnily enough that ctd occurs at 61 mods ticked, yet at 60 its fine, no lag or nothing!

Possible fixes, these did not work for me but from the insightful god that is google i do remember things others have tried...

1. type in the command player.removeallitems The idea being, itll get rid of anything that is "supposedly" in your inventory from mods you have un-installed yet forgot 2 remove the items from your world..

2. Reduce your save game files clutter and size (this doesnt really reduce clutter or size very much, but worth a shot) SELL to merchant all ur un-wanted gear, check that you dont have like, 20,000 prisoner or 30,000 museum keys in ur inventory (glitch), type into console coc qasmoke thisll take ya 2 skyrims testing grounds, wait for 30 days (after 30 days the world of skyrim "resets" so 2 speak) also 2 make things go faster, a little trick that may work, before u start "waiting" type into console "tfc" this activates free flying camera.. with some people wen u wait in this mode, waiting times of 24 hours happens in about 2 secs

3. in console command type save "my save 1" (include qoutation marks apparently) force save i think it does

4. just save and let it crash, then convert your files from .tmp to .ess and re-load (that is a really stupid suggestion)

5. your classic un-install skyrim, first delete local content through ur steam library.. then delete skyrim file location programme(x86) -> steam -> steam apps -> common -> skyrim file.. backup save files location my documents -> my games -> skyrim and if any of the files have the word skyrim in, change it.. then run registry mechanic by typing registry into start, and type in skyrim to wipe every trace of skyrim (it should say u want to delete blah blah click ok, then move onto the next) and re-install... best method for re-installing mods u want... From the nexus download manager just select ur mods u want to keep under the "mods" tab and click the large " i " icon with a plus symbol on the left where u activate and de-activate mods. A window will pop up and in one of the boxes is a link to the webpage, save them in a word document.. with steam workshop files save the name of the file AND the name of the modder.. the steam workshops search function is terrible with searching mod names so if u cant find it that way, copy and paste in the modders name instead and find the respective page through his uploaded files

6. Iv contacted bethesda about this as well as the aspect of peryite dialogue box wont go away bug, ill post any suggestions they have 2 offer

Ignacio

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! EASY! It requires no mod disabling, .inf changing, save deleting, NOTHING. I fixed it IN-GAME. This is what I did:
1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it)
2. Create a NEW save (through pause menu)
3. Type in player.kill
4. Load your latest save (the one that had CTD glitch)
5. Type in player.kill
6. Try saving (I usually just use quicksave)

Your save will most likely be fixed, it worked for me on first try.

Mario

I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT! EASY! It requires no mod disabling, .inf changing, save deleting, NOTHING. I fixed it IN-GAME. This is what I did:
1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch, then load it)
3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

I can confirm that this method works. As he said, worked for me on first try as well.

shthouserat

YES, totally works thanks!! i think the problem may have begun when i quicksaved during a transition scene (waking from the dream potion in the dawnstar nightmare quest). possibly similar circumstances for others too

Bidounou

I don't understand.....How can you save if your player is dead already ? Since you first have to type player.kill and THEN save....

dogigniter

I had exactly the same problem whilst doing Waking Nightmare. I did the fix as described above, that let me save BEFORE I drank the Vaerminas Turpor, but it still crashed saving AFTER the Dreamstride. Tested it many times and this is definately the behaviour I was experiencing.

For anyone having the same issue

Solution: type 'tcl' in console, and walk through the barrier and take the soul gem. The quest will update and you should be able to save. Unfortunately this will break the second half of the quest slightly, as there will be no bodies or survivors after the magical barrier, but the last 2x guys will be there and you can finish the quest

b1t

Buuut, the save function is disabled after I type in player.kill, quicksave doesn't work either! I should say that my CTD's on saves aren't consistent, about every 10-15th save (quick/auto/standard) I get CTD. And sometimes, but very rarely, on other occasions. Like yesterday when I got a killing cinematic. I was just about to chop this bandits head off, but just as my weapon touched his neck, my game crashed!

Artificial

I had exactly the same problem whilst doing Waking Nightmare. I did the fix as described above, that let me save BEFORE I drank the Vaerminas Turpor, but it still crashed saving AFTER the Dreamstride. Tested it many times and this is definately the behaviour I was experiencing.

Solution: type 'tcl' in console, and walk through the barrier and take the soul gem. The quest will update and you should be able to save. Unfortunately this will break the second half of the quest slightly, as there will be no bodies or survivors after the magical barrier, but the last 2x guys will be there and you can finish the quest

Thanks! I struggled with this for about an hour last night trying different things before coming across this forum post. Thanks for everyone who posted a solution, you've made me extremely happy. I signed up just to post this.

XFission

3. Type in player.kill
5. Type in player.kill

This does work for some, however, if you are still having problems as I did and you are trying to complete the quest "Waking Nightmare" just go into your gameplay settings and disable all of the automatic saving. Proceed with the quest and complete it without saving at any point. Wait until you are finished with the quest and have exited the temple and are back in the "main" Skyrim area. Then you can save and quicksave without any more problems. Just remember to re-enable your auto-saving if you so desire. This must just be a flaw in that particular quest because I have yet to run into any similar problems "Elsweyr". :) Hope this helps.

Adem Ozkum

I've played through the game several times, and have had problems with saving after doing the Dreamstride with Vaermina's Torpor, but there's an even easier solution.

As soon as you exit the dream state, run back up the stairs and go out the door to the dungeon to Skyrim. Save there and you shouldn't have any further problems. Go back in and finish up with Ecantur and you should be able to save normally, even inside the dungeon.

roostah

I've played through the game several times, and have had problems with saving after doing the Dreamstride with Vaermina's Torpor, but there's an even easier solution.

As soon as you exit the dream state, run back up the stairs and go out the door to the dungeon to Skyrim. Save there and you shouldn't have any further problems. Go back in and finish up with Ecantur and you should be able to save normally, even inside the dungeon.

This worked perfectly. Thanks so much Adem - this was such a headache.

Koji

Hivemind
This was an issue I as well had and found out that my issue was cause by a game related to the quest "A walking Nightmare"
This occurs at the Dream sequence after you drink the torpor. The way around this is if you have the pc is you use the ~ key and type TCL to toggle clipping and walk through the barrier and take the soul gem. This will activate the next stage in the quest.. You can now proceed.

To be safe though it is best if you do not save at all during the quest before or after until you make it back out to the over world (exit the cave). So also disable all auto saving as well.

Your issue could be related, or perhaps not. Still good to state this issue regardless.

YES, totally works thanks!! i think the problem may have begun when i quicksaved during a transition scene (waking from the dream potion in the dawnstar nightmare quest). possibly similar circumstances for others too
Interesting that this happens to also be the point at which mine started crashing. Seems to be some problem with the quest...

munkey1409

First load your save game....

then wait until after you pull the chain and then take the soulstone and then type ~ and player.kill
then wait until before you take soulstone and quicksave then after the soulstone and quicksave then talk to NPC and then exit talking and quicksave....

it should quicksave from then on... it did for me right up until the final stage of the dungeon and i killed him and took the skull weapon...''

I think its something to do with the save games because I copied the saves from Linux in Crossover to Windows and the bug begun from there....

antifairy

I can also confirm that it is indeed a bug in the walking nightmare quest. Waiting to save after I left nightcaller temple worked. This bug definitely frustrated me to no end.

Alvisteen

I have 74 mods currently running, and have dealt with many issues when modding Skyrim. I'm all new to it really,but learning quickly. This was the last issue I faced when all mods were installed and in working order. I used .removeallitems in console command(first thing I did upon loading up my game) then created a new save. Once I had the new save file created I over-wrote it to confirm. Then I deleted all my other saves, quick and auto included. Problem is fixed, for now atleast.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts