Catalog of Larceny - Jebediah Quimby's Journal

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

David Wik

This is my second journal on these forums. It's my take on a pretty standard archetype that I haven't really had much personal experience with. For some reason all my characters seem to end up in the Northern hemisphere of of the moral compass.

I tried to use the blog feature for this journal but my computer hates it and nothing I do over there seems to work properly.

I'm going to keep this entry short because I know it'll be at the top of each page. Thanks in advance to any who might read this. Comments, questions, spleen-crushing insults are all welcome.

These entries won't be nearly as long as my other journal's, this is just a side character I kind of had a craving to do but I guess we'll see how it goes.

David Wik

Really long back story. Sorry about that.

Backstory:
Nathaniel Quimby was a powerful and wealthy merchant in Wayrest. By all but the most uninformed accounts, he had the whole of Cumberland Square under his thumb. Nathaniel's late wife provided him with three children.

The Eldest, Ezekiel, a stout-hearted Warrior was renowned for his deeds of valor within the kingdom. The next down the line, Zachariah, was an esteemed practitioner of the arcane arts, valuable even to the royal court for his services. Forced to live in the constant shadow of his brothers, the youngest boy, Jebediah, decided to make his home there.

Before his first shave, Jebediah had become adept at concealing himself, drifting in and out of rooms and crowds without turning a single head. His skulking and shadow-dwelling started off innocently enough. It had begun as a way to avoid discussion about the direction of his life or the accomplishments of his brothers. He heard a lot of conversations and saw a lot of secrets but that mattered little to him.

It wasn't until a chance encounter with a group of Khajiit entertainers that he realized there was money to be made in the shadows. The Khajiit taught him the arts of thievery and picking pockets and Jebediah's thin and nimble fingers proved a boon in those regards. Jebediah did not steal for necessity. Each night he could go home, eat a choice cut of venison and sleep on a bed of the finest silks regardless of how successful his excursions into Wayrest were.

The reason Jebediah stole was to be good at something that his brothers were not. Each coin purse or jewel encrusted goblet brought him closer to the mastery of a skill his brothers would never have in even the most rudimentary form. He would amass wealth beyond that of his father and then ask the old curmudgeon which son was really the most successful.

When simple theft began to feel like a slow route to his goal he began to construct elaborate schemes of blackmail and extortion. He would use the knowledge so easily gained from his home in the dark edges of rooms to force nobles, peasants and guards alike into corners from which their only escape was the payment he requested. Jebediah became a nervously unspoken legend among the people of Wayrest but that did not last for long.

When he was caught with his hands beneath the robes of the King, the legend was heard and he brought the attention of his father and brothers, as well as the royal court down, upon himself. During his trial, people came from the woodwork, identifying Jebediah as the hand behind hundreds of thefts and the mouth behind dozens of scams.

Ashamed, his father disowned the wayward son rather than face the prospect of a blackened branch hanging from his family tree. At the King's behest, Zachariah magically grafted a tattoo made of pure gold into his little brother's face, forever marking him as a man to whom wealth was everything, damning him to forever show all he met what lay in his heart.

Days went by followed by weeks, months and years. Jebediah was reformed. He began helping Ezekiel to maintain his weapons and armor, finding his nimble hands and slender arms perfectly suited for weaving leather for straps and fittings. Ezekiel was glad for the help, his hands were large and clumsy, stiffened from battle.

Ezekiel taught Jebediah the art of battle but the youngest Quimby found that the same traits which proved beneficial to leather craft and fletching were ill-suited for the heft and size of battleaxes Ezekiel preferred or the strength required to wield a shield with any sort of authority.

Jebediah adopted a more fluid style of combat, suited more for his lithe frame and focused on avoiding blows and outlasting (or outrunning in most cases) opponents rather than dealing any significant blows. He was never able to best Ezekiel in single combat but that did not discourage him from practice.

Jealous of the new-found bond between his older and younger brothers, Zachariah offered to tutor Jebediah in The Art of Magic. The Lesser Quimby's grasp of the arcane was tenuous at best and he could cast only basic illusions.

Zachariah noticed that his brother's small and nimble fingers were perfect for mixing even the most complex and volatile potions. He was glad for the help, his hands were slow and steady, suited for channeling magicka.

As Jebediah grew into adulthood, his father reclaimed him. Nathaniel was finally proud to have three sons which could be mentioned and discussed in polite company. The King himself got wind of the new leaf which Jebediah had turned over and invited the young man and his family to Castle Wayrest for a great feast during Mad Pelagius.

Jebediah took full advantage of the gathering, poisoning all in attendance with a cleansing brew designed to rid the body of all impurities. With facilities grievously outnumbered by the amount of people who suddenly, and very desperately, needed them the castle became something of a catastrophe.

Satisfied with his revenge for the mark on his otherwise flawless visage, Jebediah fled the castle and Wayrest knowing that he would be the first and only suspect in the insanity of that year's Mad Pelagius. He was no longer a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, cherubic-faced boy and it was plain to see that the King would not spare him the axe a second time.

Jebediah found a temporary home with a group of roaming brigands whose base lay in the mountains along the border of Skyrim. They adopted him as a member after he'd used his quick tongue to convince them of his usefulness as a potionmaker; he kept his prowess for theft and deception secret. He was a staunch advocate of the blessings of the underestimated.

It wasn't long before Jebediah realized that he had no place living out in the wilderness, cuddled up to nit ridden strangers for body heat. He missed silk and fatty steaks and maidens throwing their kerchiefs at him, giggling and hiding their blushing cheeks when he passed them in the street.

He concocted a sleeping draught from local flora and applied it liberally to the pot of scraps from the previous dinner he'd been forced to cook for the troop. With his revenge for being subjected to bugs and body odor complete, Jebediah robbed the brigands blind, stole a horse and vanished into Skyrim.

He had dreams of using his ill-gotten gains to buy himself a fully-staffed stead somewhere in the snowy province where he could regain the comforts to which he had grown accustomed during his pampered life.

In a twist of fate likely brought on by Sheogorath himself, as a reward for his brilliant display at Mad Pelagius, Jebediah awoke one morning to find that all but his bedroll had been stolen out from under him.

For the first time, he found himself needing to use his skills to survive. He was stalking a small band of Nords, waiting for them to bed down for the night so he could steal their food, when the Imperials sprung their ambush.

As they neared Helgen it became obvious to Jebediah that his head, like all his other possessions, was about to be taken from him. Not one to face the consequences of his actions, Jebediah managed to slip his slender wrists free from his binds. He waited until he and the Nords he'd been stalking were just outside the city walls before casting a frenzy spell on the horse of the Imperial rear guard and vanishing as he was wont to do.

David Wik

Basic Character set up. Don't know what perks I'm putting where, specifically. Just using a general guideline for the direction in which I want the character to amble.

Race:
Breton
Class:
Thief
Stone:
Shadow

Perks:
Speech
Pickpocket
Lockpicking
Alchemy
Sneak
Illusion
One-Handed

File Preparation:
Pretty standard. Ran through Helgen on Novice bare-handed and naked, grabbed some ragged robes and a tankard from one of the caged corpses, exited and marked the beginning of the character.

Stat Distribution:
Magicka (1) > Health (2) > Stamina (3)

Starting Kit
Ragged Robes
Tankard

Starting Spells
Fury

Gameplay restrictions are fairly straightforward. One of the problems with stealth-based characters is how broken they can be later on in the game so I tried to make some restrictions to counter-act that inevitability.

For inventory, I'm going based on the assumption that each in-use (hot-keyed) piece of equipment has a sheath or strapping somewhere on the armor of the character which is why old weapons must be dropped when new ones are picked up (wouldn't drop a sword in a pack with a bunch of alchemy supplies and potions).

If anything obvious seems to have been left out, let me know. If you think of any restrictions to add which will enrich the bond between character and gameplay, let me know.

General
-Difficulty set to Master
-No fast travel
-Carriage to Hold Capitols only
-Carriages cost 500 gold, instead of 50
-Must disable all quest markers
-May only save immediately after sleeping
-Upon death, Save at the beginning of the day must be loaded and you must spend a week in game recovering. (May not leave home/camp for 7 days)
-If killed by any of the playable races (excludes vampires), must drop ALL of the following into a respawning container and never access it again:
---75% of Current Gold Total
---The highest DAMAGE equipped weapon
---The highest VALUE equipped apparel (includes rings, amulets, circlets, armor)
---ALL items intended for sale (non-equipped apparel/weapons, jewels, scrolls etc)
-Auto-saves enabled “on travel” and may be loaded in case of bugs ONLY
-If damaged by a trap, counted as dead (bear traps count as death only during battle)

Realism/Immersion
-HUD 1 from left, just enough to see if I've been detected
-1/3 carrying capacity (capacity unlimited inside home or on owned land)
-Must eat three meals per day
-Carried food spoils after two days
-May not loot food from abandoned locations (already rotten)
-Must always carry a tankard
-Must “drink” from running water at least once a day
-Can use map only in known locations
-Cannot use map in rain or snow unless under cover
-Cannot use map in the dark (Candlelight spell or a torch required in dark indoor sections or at night, for example)
-Game brightness reduced by three from default
-May not use wait function (except during alchemy [outlined below])
-Cannot swim in icy/frozen water for longer than 5 seconds
-Must sleep at least 6 hours a day (rare exceptions can be made)
-No exploits (Fortify Restoration Loop, Dawnstar/Solitude Chest etc)

Stealth
-Cannot sneak attack the same enemy more than once
-Cannot enter sneak mode while engaged in active battle
-May not sneak attack a calmed target
-Must exit sneak mode while jumping or dropping from distances > 2~feet

Equipment/Inventory
-May not equip any armor piece heavier than 12 units
-May not change gear during combat
-May only carry 1 Boots, Armor, Gloves and Helm/Hood at a time (cannot carry alternate "crafting gear" for example)
-May only carry 1 Ranged Weapon, 2 Daggers and 1 One-Handed weapon at a time
-Cannot equip or carry shields
-Cannot equip any weapon weighing more than 15 units

Magic
-May not use Invisibility (spell or potion) during battle
-Invisibility from powers (Embrace of Shadows, Shadow Stone) can be used at any time
-May not calm the same target multiple times
-Spells may not be learned, purchased or looted before the appropriate perk is unlocked
-A new spell takes one full day to “master” and cannot be cast before then. Cannot “learn” multiple spells concurrently. 1 spell = 1 day, no exceptions.

Looting
-Cannot loot/steal anything heavier than 5 pounds (unless a previous weapon/armor piece is being replaced or if it is for a quest or trophy)
-Cannot loot weapons or armor except with the intention of immediately replacing old equipment
-If a better weapon/armor piece is looted, must drop previously used item (couldn't carry both around)

Crime
-May not go to jail or pay off bounty (bribing guards is allowed)
-If a guard says: “Wait, I know you.” Cursor must show “hidden” within five seconds or a conversation must be started with the guard.
-When pickpocketing, must always attempt to steal the following items (when chance > 49%) if seen in a target's inventory: Gold, Keys, Jewelry, Jewels, Sweet Rolls, Lockpicks, Letters, Journals
-May kill at will but 1000 bounty for murder counts as death (more likely to be executed than fined 1000 gold and set free immediately) unless “Last Witness Killed”.
-May not steal from Khajiit
-May not kill Khajiit unless they strike first
-May not Fury non-hostile Khajiit

Crafting
-No custom Enchanting
-Cannot create more than one of the same item at a forge per day (building materials excepted)
-Cannot create more than five pieces at a forge, total, per day (building materials excepted)

Alchemy/Potions
-May only use 10 potions daily
-No daily limit on poison use
-Cannot paralyze the same target multiple times
-Must apply poisons while out of battle or while enemies are “seeking”.
-Cannot use potions within 5 seconds of each other
-Must sheathe or unequip weapons and spells to use potions
-Can only craft 2 potions/poisons per hour (can craft all at once and wait the required amount of time)
-Cannot use online Alchemy resources
-Can only use self-made potions/poisons
-Cannot carry more than 5 of any one type of potion/poison except Restore Health (may carry 10)
-May not use invisibility potions during active battle

Followers
-Followers may not be releveled with Wabbajack
-Any follower's death is permanent
-Followers may only use starting equipment
-Mercenary followers (with a 500 gold initial cost) must be paid an additional 500 gold each day. Simply trading them 500 gold each day is adequate
-Mercenary followers do not need to be paid if they are a spouse or if they offer their services for free (as the 500 gold initial cost is no longer present)
-Followers may carry 1/2 your own carrying capacity
-Mercenary followers may not be given items to carry (untrustworthy)
-Followers may not carry armor or weapons they are not wearing or using
-Followers may not be commanded to loot anything or open any doors/chests
-Followers may not be used in concert with Animals (dogs, armored troll, death hound) it is either, or.
-Human followers must be “fed” three times a day.
-Animal followers must be “fed” freshly killed meat twice a day.

Horses
-Dead is Dead applies to horses, no reloading for horse death
-Must feed horse twice a day when travelling areas with no natural, low-lying foliage such as grass or bushes
-May only feed horses raw vegetables

David Wik

Day 2—The 18th of Last Seed, 4E 201 4:38 AM
My name is Jebediah Quimby and any reading this will hopefully already know me, since it's likely to be my famously published memoir by the time any but myself lay their hands upon it.

After narrowly evading my Imperial captors I found myself somewhere in the wilds of Skyrim. By my own folly, I spent most of the doomed carriage ride sizing up my fellow prisoners and formulating my escape plan instead of paying any sort of attention to my surroundings. I made the right choice, no doubt, since my head and neck are still the best of friends but I was lost, mapless and starving.

The Imperials hadn't bothered to feed any of us on our trip across Skyrim which I find pretty petty, even if I did spend most of the trip calling them names and finding pebbles to whip at them as accurately as I could with my hands bound together. Even more taxing on my already sour mood was the fact that they threw me in the same cart as an inbred horse thief (Who gets caught stealing a horse? Seriously, it's a built-in getaway.) and the same dull-witted Nords I'd been following in hopes of finding an unattended roll or pastry.

Let bygones be bygones, right? I didn't steal this journal to clog it with niggling gripes from days ago. I got this journal so that I could chronicle (what will be) my meteoric rise to fortune in Skyrim. As crude and rudimentary as the populace seems to be, their Septims are every bit as valuable as the ones back home. I've only got a few now but I guarantee I'll be able to at least double my wealth by noon tomorrow. It's all about optimism.

The events that brought me from the outskirts of my near-grave to where I am now are a little more relevant to my (no doubt) impending glory and status.

I could blame the Imperials for the rags I was wearing as I made my way down a competently laid cobblestone road but the real culprits were those damned brigands back in the mountains. They stole my clothes and danced around in them, mocking my accent and my charming (though I suppose; less than robust) voice. They said some things about Breton men that I will not repeat here.

There I go again, dwelling. Alright, so I wandered down the road and saw smoke rising above the trees. Where there was smoke there was fire, and probably warm food for a quick hand. I circled the camp in the ample shadows of the forest, surveying my target. Two well-armed men and a shapely, but probably disease ridden, Redguard woman, wearing a set of very revealing furs, huddled around the fire discussing matters of paternity.

I got within a few yards of their tents but was spotted and quickly repelled by threats and the banging of mace on shield. Having grown up entirely in the Jewel of the Bay, I'm not used to having to watch beneath my feet for traitorous and loud branches and so a snapping one gave me away. It's a skill that I'll have to add to my repertoire, I guess.

Luck was on my side when I stumbled across a ramshackle village, called Riverwood, nestled beside the river which I had been loosely following. It was nighttime but there was still some activity near the entrance of the town. Some old bat was crowing about a Dragon and a man I assume to be her son (unless he happens to be a connoisseur of experienced women) was doing his best to calm her down.

I gave the pair a wide berth, spotting a blacksmith's forge glowing hot near the center of the town. I crept closer and, avoiding detection, managed to snag some ingots which I was hoping to be able to fashion into at least a crude shank. I wasn't about to start forging daggers in the middle of the night, so I took the opportunity to sneak into the house of the old woman and young man while they were distracted by their squabble. If all of Skyrim leaves their doors unlocked like that couple, I will be a millionaire in days.

I saw a few half-loaves of bread on a nearby table and choked them down as quickly as possible. I'd skipped the last meal I'd had a chance to eat (largely because my brigand friends had forced me to poison them) and I was starving. My stomach was making all sorts of impolite noises, none of which were conducive to sneaking about. I can't say who baked the bread but I can say they should have their hands removed. I searched around for something I could use to wash the tough and sandy texture from my delicate palette but could only find brand-less (and no doubt cheap) Nordic ale. I would kill for a nice bottle of vintage Surilie Brothers' Red.

I had spotted an inn down the road while I was robbing the blacksmith so I searched the dressers and wardrobes in the shack, hoping to find something a little more presentable to wear in case I happened across any spirit-laden women at the bar. I found nothing better than what I was already wearing so I left the shack and moved on to the next building down the row. So nice of the people in Riverwood to keep their corners so dark.

What I entered appeared to be a shop of some kind, which was a bonus. Shops have ready-made weapons, usually, sitting around just for the taking. The pair inside, Imperial siblings, were arguing about a recent robbery they'd experienced. I used the distraction to grab a steel sword from its place atop a storage unit and then slipped my hands into the man's pockets, pulling out a key.

I continued my intrusion by wandering upstairs, taking note of the woman's beautifully sculpted derriere as I passed her. I considered slipping a few fingers into her pockets, but the dress she wore was (thankfully) a little tight around her hips and I was sure she'd notice my hands digging around. Upstairs I found two chests which matched the key I'd stolen. It was a good thing, since I had no picks to my name.

I found a well-used steel dagger and some lockpicks in the chests but no clothes. That's a lie. I found a set of child's clothes, which probably would have fit, but I have my dignity. A search of a nearby dresser rewarded me with a gaudy but serviceable tunic. I sniffed a loaf of bread I found on the table but it was the same recipe as the previous abomination I'd eaten.

The Inn was well-lit but empty save for three people. There was a drunk, cloaked in an aura of booze sitting alone in a corner. I could probably have walked right up and spoken to him without being noticed in his alcoholic haze but I decided to just ignore him instead. An old Breton woman, who was definitely a fox in her day (decades ago) was arguing with the man behind the counter. I waited in the corner near an alchemy table while they finished their squabble. Once the argument was finished the woman retired to her bed and I followed, carefully avoiding any of the other four eyes that might spot me.

I waited until the Breton's breathing grew steady and slow and reached out toward her surprisingly well-toned figure, dipping my fingertips ever so gently beneath her dress. I felt a twinge of pain and drew my hand back quickly. Gently feeling along the outside of her dress, I found that she had a dagger tucked under her belt which was leagues above the shoddy steel one I'd found in the creatively named Riverwood Trader.

The hilt of the dagger was wrapped in a leather thong and tied close to the Breton's thighs. She would notice my hand untying the knots, I was sure of it. The Dagger though, was obviously of Elven make, forged and carved with great skill from Moonstone which even Ezekiel had troubles working with. The knife ballooned in my vision until I could see nothing but its sparkling countenance.

I grabbed a lockpick, some gold and the key to her inn while I considered whether or not to go for the work of art strapped to the sleeping woman's leg. I took a deep but silent breath and began my work on the knots around the dagger's pommel and hilt. Twice she stole heartbeats by groaning in response to whatever poor, old women dream of. When the dagger finally slid free of its binds and fell toward the floor, I was so elated that I almost forgot to catch it before it clattered against the wood.

I took a few apples and a well-crafted loaf of bread from a table near the sleeping woman and tucked them into my new tunic. There was a locked cabinet in the Breton woman's room and I tried her key in it but it would not open. The lock was unnecessarily complex and I could not pick it. I wonder what secret shame she's hiding in there.

On a dresser near the woman's bed, I found a book titled “Fall from Glory”. I used the inn's own gold to rent a room for the night and spoke to the man behind the counter for a while. He informed me of some of the news around Skyrim. Boring stuff, mostly. He mentioned that there was a group of particularly bold bandits that had been harassing a nearby city and said there was a reward for bringing them to justice.

Now justice, as you may have noticed, is not something I find notably important. What piqued my interest is that bandits usually have treasure they've amassed from their own, undelicate raids. If I can slip in and out of their filthy little den with a few hundred coins worth of merchandise I wouldn't even need to fight them for the, likely insignificant, bounty on their heads.

I took the slip of paper from the man and retired to the squalor which they called a room. On a small table near the “bed” was a bottle of something called Black-Briar Mead. It was delicious and I drank it down as I munched on a few apples and chunks of bread. I cracked open the book only to find it speaks of the Thieves Guild in Skyrim. I think a man like myself could do well with a group like that behind him.

“Fall from Glory” says they make their home in a city called Riften. As soon as I figure out where that is, I will definitely check it out.

David Wik

I realize I said Jebediah's entries would be short, but apparently I'm kind of a wind bag.

Day 2—The 18th of Last Seed, 4E 201 11:19 PM
The rest of my day today was a double-edged sword, to be honest. When I woke from my restless and uncomfortable slumber (a piece of wood covered in fur is not a bed) I set in motion a plan to exact my revenge upon the three bandits who had chased me away the day before.

I spent all of the morning and most of the afternoon stealing hides from around Riverwood and crafting myself some armor. Once my leather gauntlets, boots and chest piece were complete, I checked my knives for nicks and, satisfied with their edges, donned on my armor (which looks very sleek and handsome I might add) and headed off West to see if I could find the trio again.

The last time I'd seen them, I was weak from running all day and almost having my head chopped off but after the most comfortable sleep I'd had since leaving High Rock I was ready to rumble, so to speak. I had the advantage of thinking clearly before our second encounter and I decided to see if the fury spell I knew could be applied to people as well as animals.

It was not yet sunset so I was at a slight disadvantage but the brown tones of my leather armor afforded enough camouflage that I was well-hidden on a small outcropping of rock which overlooked the small encampment. Having already evaded this particular group of bandits at that exact location only a day before, I was confident that I could escape if things didn't go my way.

I had a clear shot to the man I assumed to be the leader through a gap in the tree branches between myself and the bandits and so I cast my spell and scored a direct hit. . . which evaporated into nothing as it bounced harmlessly off the stricken man. I tried to cast the spell again on one of his more weak-minded companions but my magicka was spent.

I muttered a curse and heard the sound of an arrow flying through the air before it lodged itself in my newly crafted armor. The pain was unexpected and severe. For a few moments, I could not even move my fingers. The warm stickiness of my own blood trapped between my body and the leather of my armor clued me into the fact that I might be hurt worse than I'd first thought.

The edges of my vision began to diffuse and I knew the next arrow I took from that man would be my last. Ejaculating a stream of curses, I jumped down off the rock putting it between myself and the direction of the shot. I was forced to forego any notion of stealth and surprise so I leaned against the cold stone surface trying to regain my composure. The Khajiit in Wayrest taught me that a rattled thief is a dead thief. I needed a plan.

I could hear the footsteps of the thug's two minions clamoring toward me through the tall grass, trying to flush me out so the archer would have a clear shot to finish the job. I had managed to craft three Restore Health potions during my stay at the Sleeping Giant in Riverwood and I used the brief reprieve granted by the large boulder behind which I hid to grab one and drink it down.

While its somewhat numbing effect took hold, I snapped the shaft of the arrow near the base. I didn't know if the arrowhead was barbed or not or how deeply it had pierced, so I decided it was best to leave it where it was for the time being.

The sound of grass being trampled and the snapping of branches grew closer but I could not gather up the courage to run out onto the firing range. My potions, as Zachariah would gladly tell you, are something of a joke in the alchemical community back home and the one I'd used hadn't gotten me out of the woods, or really anywhere near the edge of the forest.

I was distracted momentarily by a man wearing a fine set of blue clothes, far better than the horrific tunic I'd stolen from Sven the Bard. I saw the glint of steel at his side and decided to call out for his assistance. When he didn't hear my first attempt, I thought about closing the distance and trying again but there was always the possibility that he would run me through just as soon as help me. I came up with a third plan.

A mace crashed into the rock beside my head, missing me only because of the awkward angle from which it had been swung and my plan was suddenly afoot. I sprinted through the trees, keeping as many as I could between the deadly archer and myself.

I'm not sure if the wandering traveler saw me or not, but I was making no effort to hide myself as I dashed behind him and jumped over a small ledge on the other side of the road. The bandits ignored me for the time being and drew steel on the old traveler as their paths intersected. Success. I watched as the man cast spells and slaughtered the two minions with expert skill.

When the leader of the small group emerged from the trees, bellowing incoherently about the death of his party, the wanderer didn't hesitate to engage him as well. The two fought a vicious battle but it was apparent that the stranger was outmatched. I knew as soon as the old man was dead, the thug would come after me.

I could have left well enough alone and fled to safety before their fight was finished but there was no doubt that I would feel obligated to return day after day until the bandit was dead. He did shoot me, after all.

I came from the bushes and leaped into the fray, making very sure my opponent's back was toward me at all times. The last thing I wanted to do was get hit by his dirty-looking mace which was covered in who knows what diseases.

After a sustained effort, the bandit lay dead. I rummaged through his things and found a treasure map which indicated a location in a tree stump somewhere near Riverwood. I tucked the map away in my pocket before the wanderer had a chance to see what I'd found.

While I was bent down, checking the dead thug's purse for coins, I reached another hand out and surreptitiously placed it in the wanderer's pocket. Feeling around, I found he had nothing worth taking. It turns out the old man, Talsgar, is a bard of sorts who wanders the land singing songs inspired by the wilds of Skyrim. He asked if I had any requests but wasn't willing to sing a song for free (even though I saved his life) so I left him to his own devices.

A noble couple and their Imperial guard came along as Talsgar and I were speaking and I managed to snatch a garnet away from the haggard-looking wife while she was busy snapping at her husband for making her walk while he rode the horse. With the bandits dead I was free to explore their camp which I did only briefly. The stench of the bedrolls drove me away before I gathered anything more than a book and a light coinpurse, holding less than the leather pouch itself was worth. At least the bandits were dead, my work there was complete.

I had planned to head toward Redoran's Retreat, where the bandits from the Jarl's bounty were holed up, but my day was already gone. Instead I returned to Riverwood deciding that I could search for the treasure better in the daylight after a solid rest.

I sat in my room and carefully stripped out of my armor. To my surprise, the arrow came out as my armor came off. (I am talented enough with leather that the arrow did not pierce very deep into my flesh). I quaffed another of my potions and went out to the river to wash my blood away.

When I returned to the inn, Sven began “Ragnar the Red” for the third time that evening. I drifted into the shadows behind him and pulled on a lockpick I found in his pocket. It must've gotten caught on a thread or something because his cheaply crafted pants jerked toward me and he spun around, slapping my hands away.

Maintaining a cool head, I jumped over the chairs between myself and the door and ran out into the street. Perhaps my dad was right when he told me, years ago, that I would always be on the doorstep of a ****storm. Sven followed but few else seemed to pay mind to his cries and accusations. I don't know what he was so mad about, it was just a lock pick and I didn't even end up taking it.

I dove into the river, crying out in pain as the water hit my wound. Even with my bad shoulder, I swam to safety, easily out-pacing the apparently hydrophobic Nord. When I was sure Sven had given up, I crawled ungracefully from the river and flopped down on the bank only to be chased to my feet and then down the road by an angry mudcrab whose sleep I had disturbed.

I ran until I reached, what I assumed to be the city mentioned by the Jarl's bounty letter, Whiterun. I spoke to a man sitting patiently atop a carriage outside the gates and asked what he was doing. I was hoping to get him lost in a conversation so I could dig around in the swollen packs I saw sitting on the sides of his conveyance. He told me that he could take me to any of the hold capitols. When I asked if Riften was a hold capitol he laughed at me and said it would be 500 gold for the trip. I almost slapped him.

At the time I had only twelve gold on me (I admit, I gorged myself somewhat at breakfast) and a bunch of stolen goods that I didn't dare show to any vendors for fear they might recognize the items as somebody else's property. I tried to bargain him down to twelve gold but he only laughed again. While he was doubled over with mirth, I stole some coins from his packs and was on my way.

I passed a band of traveling Khajiit merchants who divulged that they were not trusted in the cities of Skyrim and I broke bread with the noble cats, sitting and discussing their homeland and my own. I told them about how I came to Skyrim and mentioned the trouble I'd run into over at Riverwood. One of them offered to teach me a few tricks about sneaking. I would have loved the chance to learn from another Khajiit (really they are the best teachers) but I explained my coinpurse was dry.

When I mentioned that I had some “previously possessed” merchandise I was very willing to part with Ri'Saad, their leader, said they could not traffick in stolen goods when all of Skyrim was already at their throats. He was lying; I have yet to meet a Khajiit trader without a hand in the underbelly of society, but he spoke the words with enough fake earnestness that I let the fib slide.

I packed up the wares I had shown the Khajiit and headed toward the city. I froze when I saw one of the guards at the gate walk toward me purposefully. There was no way word of my botched pickpocket attempt had reached Whiterun already but still, the guard seemed pretty angry. As I turned to nonchalantly walk away as if I'd been there by mistake, the guard told me that they weren't letting anyone into the city because of dragon attacks.

I sighed, knowing the real reason was because I'd been seen with the Khajiit. The very notion of dragons is ludicrous. I've heard better lies come from children caught with their hands in the cookie jar. After some quick conversational wizardry, the guard decided to let me through the gate after all.

As soon as I stepped foot beyond the threshold, my heart began to ache for the beauty and craftsmanship of Wayrest. The city of Whiterun (a glorified village if anything) was small and sparsely populated and I found I missed the cacophony of the morning market and the colorful banners hanging around Cumberland Square.

I stole a few gold from a patrolling guard as I made my way to the only lit building in the entire town. I know I should have taken the opportunity to raid some houses and bolster my savings a bit but I was still sore from my bandit encounter and raw from my own stupidity and failure at Riverwood. All I wanted was to lay down in what Nords consider a bed and fade into oblivion until morning.

I was surprised to see how clean and well-kept the Bannered Mare was. I was even more impressed with some of the people I saw enjoying their meals by hearthlight. I rented a room from the woman at the counter and found my attention caught by a pretty woman, somewhat older than myself, but still a viable shape. I spoke to her and she introduced herself as Carlotta. I gave her a fake name, as usual, and did my best to charm away the thin cloth barrier between us.

Happily for me, Carlotta was already upset at the advances of another man who was obviously less subtle and masterful with seduction than myself. She was almost in tears with rage as she told me about the rumors this bard, Mikael, had been spreading around town. Carlotta assured me that she could handle her own affairs, but her small daughter had begun asking questions when the rumors made it back to her.

Women love a white knight. I know this from watching my brother Ezekiel charm the underclothes off even the most frost-hearted women through deeds of courage and valor. Since I had neither of those things, I decided to try and use my tongue to convince Mikael that his interests would best be served by leaving the woman and her poor daughter alone.

I have to admit, Mikael caught onto my game far quicker than I'd anticipated and so we ended up in a tussle that sprawled across the entire inn. Everyone around began casting bets (none on me, since I was obviously not “the big one” all their 12 Septim bets were falling on) and hurling racial slurs, the likes of which I have never heard outside of a prison.

When I was sitting on the bard's narrow (and poorly defined) chest with my hand raised and ready to strike his handsome (but not nearly as handsome as my own) face, he recognized that he had been bested and agreed to leave the matronly Carlotta alone. I rummaged through his pockets while he was staring in terror at my poised fist but found nothing worth the risk of getting caught again.

Once I had finished performing my heroic deed, Carlotta explained that she had no desire for romance. She said raising her daughter was the only important thing in her life and I suppose I can respect that. Out of pity, Carlotta gave me 250 Septims. The celibacy of the comely produce vendor became irrelevant a few moments later when another fine young woman pushed gently through the doors of the tavern.

She sat down alone at a table in the corner, her features even more radiant in the warm light of the candles there. My fingers touched my golden tattoo gently. As embarrassing as it was, there was nothing I could do about it. I sighed and fixed my hair, straightened my armor and walked toward her. She greeted me warmly enough and I sat down at the table with her.

A Redguard woman came to the table to take our order. When she showed me the drink menu, I saw something that made me smile with pure joy. Listed on the sheet of parchment was a bottle of Surilie Brothers Wine. It was 121 Septims but I could not resist.

Once Ysolda and I had imbibed the spirits, which were worth every Septim, and shared a plate of crisp baked potatoes (excellently seasoned), we got to talking about the Khajiit caravan outside the city.

She mentioned that Ri'Saad had asked her for a mammoth tusk, in exchange for some crucial information about running her own business. Drunk and in the presence of such a lovely Nordic specimen, I had to offer to find her one. I remembered seeing one such tusk on a shelf behind the innkeeper so I stumbled over to the counter and dropped from sight.

How I managed to sneak by both the Redguard woman and her boss while too drunk to see straight, I'll never know. I did manage to get my hands on the tusk and slide it, unnoticed down a leg of my armor. I walked stiffly back to Ysolda and handed her the prize. I thought surely that I would be making good use of my double bed upstairs in no time but Ysolda only thanked me politely and gave me a few tips on bargaining with the stubborn Nords in the area.

Dejected and twice rebuked, I retired to my room alone to write this entry. Trying to buy my way into Ysolda's bedchamber deflated my coinpurse and at this point, it seems as though the only chance I have of making 500 gold any time soon is to go and rob the bandits mentioned in the Jarl's bounty letter. Hopefully there are no master archers among them.

First, I should try and see if I can't track down the treasure from the map. That seems a lot less dangerous. Who knows? If the treasure is abundant enough, I might never have to set foot in Redoran's Retreat.

Wildroses

So basically, Jebediah is going to spend all his time in Skyrim doing quests for pretty women in futile attempts at seduction? If so, this is going to be even more interesting than it already is. I've never minded long entries. They allow for more characterisation, which is what makes journals interesting to me.

David Wik

They allow for more characterisation, which is what makes journals interesting to me.
Yeah, this is the entire reason I do journals. Building a character beyond just perks and stats takes the game to an entirely more satisfying level. I also enjoy reading the journals of others because, in spite of everyone working with the same basic source material (a particular video game), limitless unique perspectives are brought to it which change the entire experience.

As for Jebediah, it'll be fun to see where his two overwhelming obsessions (money and women) take him. Never played a criminal before and the game seems a lot more open now so I'm really looking forward to writing more with this character.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
Looking forward to reading more. The real-life details (untying a dagger hilt from a strap, a lockpick catching on a thread, etc.) make this so unique.

David Wik

Day 3—The 19th of Last Seed, 4E 201 11:19 PM Gold: 974
When I left Whiterun in the morning, my step bouncing regardless of the previous night's lamentable solitude, I found that the Khajiit caravan had either moved on or was chased away. The reason for my undeservedly jubilant stride was that I had in my pocket a map for treasure. If I couldn't have the touch of a woman, I would settle for the cold steel and hard wood of my second most favored vice.

Along the path to Riverwood I came upon a courier whose face was smudged with dirt and whose shirt was polluted with exertion. The whiff of him as he went by was almost enough for me to deny myself the pleasure of pilfering from the sack which he clutched desperately with both hands as he ran. I wondered what missive he could be carrying that merited such self-abuse so I feigned an injury and grabbed it from his pack while he was helping me to my feet (today's lesson: never help injured strangers).

Once he was out of sight I sat down on a rock and read the letter in which the author mentioned an expedition into a place called the Moldering Ruins. From what I gathered, the writer of the note was in charge of a simple extraction of treasure but had run into some resistance from “local inhabitants”. I guess that could mean anything from bandits to bears. I wasn't too keen on investigating on my own so soon after my rear had almost been handed to me by a lice-infested Imperial with a bow.

Riverwood looked as peaceful as ever from a distance, even though I knew Sven and his shoddy tailoring were waiting somewhere within. When I was about halfway across the stone bridge into the town I saw the shapes of three men behind me, reflected in the water. I turned my head slightly, feigning interest in a nearby deer and saw that all three men were clad in heavy iron armor. Each had a massive steel weapon on his back and a glint of malice in his eye.

My first thought was that this trio had decided to come and pillage Riverwood. I didn't blame them. It made an excellent target. There were no guards patrolling the streets and few enough people that three well-armed men could easily overtake them all. The village had a working smithy and mill, as well as a load of natural resources in the surrounding mountains and forests. No doubt a troop could set up quite nicely in the idyllic little village.

I wasn't about to let them have Camilla, however. Such a fine Imperial was far too pristine for their dirt-encrusted fingernails to be scratching at. I wondered if I could get to Whiterun and back with a contingent of guards before the lovely Camilla was defiled but I remembered that her damned brother kept their front door unlocked and the trader would no doubt be visited soon after a looting of the blacksmith.

The lead grunt looked at me, and then back at a sheet of paper he was holding in his hand. He showed the yellowed (but not as badly as his teeth) note to one of his comrades who looked at me and then drew a stubby, hairy-knuckled finger across his left eye from his forehead to his cheek, where my tattoo was etched onto my face. The third grunt grunted in approval; they all drew their weapons and shouted that it was time to teach me a lesson.

Undeterred by my previous failure at casting the most basic of frenzy spells, I tried my luck again and successfully charmed one of the men to fight against the other two. I used the distraction to run into the middle of the village where I thought I might find some assistance from the townspeople if I convinced them that my original thought about the men's intentions was correct.

When the two surviving members of the trio appeared around the corner, I pelted the leader with another bolt of magic which actually worked as well. It seemed my luck had turned for the better and I watched as the two brutes slugged it out with massive warhammers I probably couldn't even lift off the ground. The fight did draw something of a crowd. Camilla didn't make an appearance but two ladies even more matronly than Carlotta (I didn't bother to get their names as I'm pretty sure they both have husbands) came down from the side streets to watch the display.

When only one assailant remained, I cast another fury spell on him hoping that he would attack the blacksmith or Frodnar, the ugly, wide-faced child who thinks himself a pranking mastermind. But no, the brute and his hammer made a bee-line for me. I gripped my daggers tightly, adopting the fighting stance which drove Ezekiel crazy (“How are you going to block anything!?” He would scream with his trusty greataxe barreling toward me).

I felt warm, supple bodies push past me as the two untouchable women rushed by and immediately engaged the iron juggernaut. I have to give it to Nord women; they sure do know how to emasculate a man.

Clad only in dresses and wielding iron daggers, the pair of unexpected warriors danced around their foe, bleeding him to death one nick at a time. I could have joined in, sure, but who was going to run for help when the women met their inevitable end? I chose instead to take up a more strategic position hiding in the shadows beside the forge.

The tree trunk-armed blacksmith ran up from behind and crushed the man's skull with a warhammer of his own (cementing my aversion to married women) and the town went silent. Since none of the backwater townsfolk seemed aware that the men had come for me, I felt comfortable leaving my place in the shadow of the blacksmith's porch and rooting around in the satchels carried by the three thugs. What I really wanted was whatever was on that note.

I found the paper on the first body I checked and sighed when I saw that it was a letter naming me as a thief (accurate but insulting, right?) and imploring the beasts to track me down and punish me for my crimes. It was signed by none other than Sven's mother, Hilde. Of course, an impotent bard (who makes Mikael look like Gaiden Shinji) would have to have his mommy fight his battles for him but my mood was not spoiled.

It cost Hilde 163 gold to have those men try and kill me (which is more than I expected her to have based on the trash I found in her shack). I know this because I collected the sum from their dead bodies. Adding my own bounty to my purse brought me that much closer to Riften. I decided to confront her with the note and see if there wasn't an angle I could use to milk more money from the secret savings she had stashed somewhere.

She droned on about dragons for a while, completely ignoring my accusations (I admit, that's the best way to deal with accusations in general) but eventually moved on to a much more useful topic. She mentioned that Sven was in love with precious Camilla but found her affections divided between himself and a local mill-worker named Faendal. Hilde threw in some blatant racism such as “Faendal should keep to his own kind” and “I raised my Sven to be a true Nord!”. I can't say those are exact quotes, I wasn't listening very closely after she mentioned the love triangle.

I spoke to Faendal who was agreeable enough, for a Wood Elf. After some discussion, we came up with a plan to forever close Camilla's gates to mommy's little minstrel. It was in my best interest to kick a piece off the board in the competition for Camilla's attention. Faendal forged a note for me to deliver to Camilla.

The little elf sure does know how to pluck nerves; the letter was very entertaining and easily believable as coming from Sven's quill. Everyone in Riverwood had already heard Sven's story about how I tried to pick his pocket (there are like eight people in the village and only one place to drink) so she was not suspicious when I said the letter was from the bard's own satchel.

She yelled for a while and then told me she'd never speak to Sven again. Good news for me. I'm far more attractive than any Wood Elf could hope to be and so the competition was now decidedly in my favor.

After Camilla was in tears and Sven was doomed to spend his life figuring out ways to find moments of privacy in the one-room shack he shares with his mother, I figured my revenge on Hilde for sending thugs after me was complete. I would have to wait a while before making a move on the fairer Valerius since Camilla was four different shades of red when I last saw her and it did nothing for her appeal.

A lesser man would have stopped by the Sleeping Giant to gloat but I took the high road and stopped by only for a drink of the Black-Briar mead I'd grown so fond of. It was early in the day and the inn was empty except the Breton woman, the man behind the counter and Sven but that did not stop him from singing his songs and playing his instruments ad nauseum. When my bottle was empty, I opened the front door and let it close heavily as I ducked behind a pillar, obstructing myself from view.

When I was certain Sven believed me to be gone, I stole absolutely everything he was carrying. I even found a piece of cheese hidden in one of his socks which I have no intention of ever eating but stole anyway. I also finally got that damned lockpick. This time I was in and out without a single mishap and headed toward the treasure map's indicated location with high hopes for the future.

The booty itself was disappointing but enough to push me to my 500 gold goal when I added it to the payment I'd indirectly received from Hilde. I could now go to Riften but didn't want to arrive with empty pockets. I considered heading to Redoran's Retreat (and I still might, who knows?) but I am a creature of habit, if nothing else. I decided I could probably make more money, more safely, by just robbing the people of Whiterun.

Daylight was still strong so I spent the afternoon wandering around the farms near the plains city, looking for alchemical supplies (I have only one potion to my name now) and any opportunities for some easy gold. I passed a watchtower which was under attack by bandits and looted the two chests (they hid one on top of a tower, but I found it) the guards had filled with sizeable amounts of gold. I imagine it was their collection pot for the fees and bounties they are constantly receiving.

Once the guards killed the bandits, I took the gold from the corpses as well and then continued on down the road where I saw a man and a broken cart. I searched the man's pockets as he muttered something to himself but found he was carrying nothing. He turned to me, smiling knowingly, and said that he would give me some gold if I helped him out.

He wanted me to convince a nearby farmer to fix his broken wheel which seemed an easy enough task for somebody as persuasive as myself and the wives of farmers who live so far from the city are often unsatisfied, so to speak. I agreed to help the little man and skulked up toward the farm beneath the fading light of sunset. The farmer and his wife were out in the field, discussing plotting allocations so I took the opportunity to let myself into their humble abode and take whatever struck my fancy. The farmers had almost nothing but I did find two unopened bottles of Black-Briar mead on top of a barrel.

When I did finally approach the couple I noticed the woman, while attractive enough, had hands rough and calloused from farming. The thought of those paws against my most delicate skin made me shudder with revulsion. With the farmer convinced and my 250 gold reward in-hand, I made my way through the dark back to the city and rolled up my sleeves to do some good old fashioned thieving in the city of Whiterun which I left more or less untouched during my previous visit.

The blacksmith, Adrianne, was still working her forge. Her hands are ruined but even if they weren't, her husband could fit me in his bicep. I took what I could from her and then wandered the town, taking gold, gems and keys from the pockets of various citizens wandering the streets before heading to the Bannered Mare to see whose houses had been left unattended. I saw Ysolda sitting at the same table as last night and sat down with her, keeping the strings of my purse tightly knotted so that my soon-to-be-drunken hands, did not slip into it so easily as last time.

The Redguard woman, Saadia, came to ask my order and I noticed for the first time a hideous scar on her face. I would have mentioned it but she declined any further questions. I guess I can rule that one as off the table. I told Ysolda I would be going to Riften the next day and that I might never be coming back. All she really wanted was to talk about the Khajiit and thank me for the tusk.

I stole the keys to her house and cut the strings on her coinpurse, catching it deftly with my foot to avoid the sound of coin on wood and then kicking it gently beneath the table where I could retrieve it later. I had overheard her earlier say that she was saving up to buy the inn from Hulda, but I stole the amethyst she was carrying too. If she wanted to step on my desires for the future, I would step on hers.

I've been reading and re-reading “Fall from Glory” and damned if it doesn't sound familiar. I too, had the source of all my connections and influence (the most beautiful city on Nirn today), stripped from me. Alright, I kind of brought it on myself by poisoning a few people but they had it coming. Some simpler folk might say that I had "it" coming too but I try not to get bogged down in the past.

"Fall from Glory"'s author, Nithilis Lidari, mentions a plague of failed attempts at the craft. Before I left Wayrest, I was (as my fame is bound to have already told you) something of a master. Since I've arrived in Skyrim, I've been caught pickpocketing an embarrassing number of times (by an even more humiliating list of people). I'm being spotted by bandits and guards when I have escaped all lines of sight. It's taken me three days to scrounge up less than 1000 gold. In Wayrest, I made that before getting out of bed in the morning.

I blame the lion's share of my currency problems on the fact that I can't find a fence anywhere in this herd of Nordic cattle. Damned Khajiit. If I could figure out how to get them to include me in their profits I would be on my way. I can't really blame that on the cats, though; it should be up to me to prove my worth. I digress.

The book goes on to say there is evidence of a curse. It mentions only the Thieves Guild but I wonder how many true Thieves there are in Skyrim that do not wipe their feet there, so perhaps all theives are affected. I really hope I'm not cursed. Breaking curses seems like something I'm probably not too good at; I've never been cursed before, at least not with any real authority

The best thing I can do for my situation is go and visit Riften and see if I can track down this Guild. From what I've read, they're probably desperate for someone as talented as myself and I don't expect I'll have any trouble getting in their good graces and turning their connections into my own. They may only have one town (and a poverty ridden Nordic one, at that) but it's a start.

I should turn in pretty quickly here. I managed to grab a map from one of the guards and Riften looks like a pretty long journey away, even by carriage. I want to be at my best when I arrive there. I haven't been this excited for a long time. I've been sort of a downer lately, I know, but hopefully the women and purses in Riften will be looser for the picking.

David Wik

Day 4—The 20th of Last Seed, 4E 201 7:19 PM Gold: 493
I woke up pretty early in the morning, unable to sleep well while plagued with excitement. Riften has become a holy land, of sorts, in the last few days. I imagine it as a large and darkened city with thousands of nooks and crannies in which I can reside. I hope it is more populated than the near-barren streets of Whiterun because I do my best work in a crowd where there are distractions and escape routes aplenty.

With the extra time I found myself having in the morning, I decided I would brew up some potions for the journey. A single healing potion doesn't seem like it'll be much good in the clutch. The only problem there is that, while Zachariah taught me the technical skills for mixing ingredients together, I didn't really pay him much mind when he went on about the properties of plants and such that I was unlikely to find within High Rock. As such, alchemy has become sort of a guessing game for me but that's alright. Watching a man grab his stomach and keel over from a few drops of poison is worth the effort.

The alchemist's shop door was locked which normally wouldn't have stopped me but I decided to burn my morning away walking about town, seeing if there was any other coin to be had. I heard a Redguard couple bickering about a lost sword. I thought that any sword worth starving your family over (and probably leaving your wife's side of the bed inaccessible to boot) must be worth a fair bit of coin.

I spoke to the man, Amren, and asked him for some details as to where the sword could be found. There was no plan to actually return it to him, I just wanted to fatten my purse before my journey East. He told me the bandits who'd stolen his sword were in White River Watch which he showed me on my map was only a half-hour or so trip from the city gates. The cave in question was closer than Redoran's retreat and had a proper road leading almost to its entrance.

I considered that I might need practice dealing with foes beyond loose threads and creaky floorboards anyway. I had already seen the place Amren was talking about yesterday when I was collecting butterflies and tundra cotton from the sides of the road and knew a guard patrolled the area just outside. If something went wrong, I knew I could play the victim and run to him for assistance. Nobody would believe somebody as well-groomed as myself was any sort of thug.

Daytime was a disadvantage, sure, but I knew the sunlight would have little bearing on my machinations within the cave itself. I saw two sentries as I silently approached the mouth of the bandit-infested cavern. The terrain was such that I had little chance of making it by without alerting at least one of them. My preemptive disappointment was warranted and the two bandits (a Nord with a mace and shield and a Redguard woman with a bow) saw me before I got anywhere near my goal.

I dove off a nearby ledge, cutting off the Redguard's line of fire and waited around a corner for the Nord to come barreling past. I had no hope of truly surprising him, but I wanted to at least weaken him before he began the fight in earnest. To my surprise he fell pretty easily. I had to do some fancy dodging to avoid his swings but, in the end, my elven dagger found a temporary sheath in the side of his neck, just below his wide, unshaven jaw.

I climbed up the cliff, avoiding the path to the entrance of White River Watch where the archer's attention was surely focused, and came at her from the side. I managed to dodge every shot she took while I was closing the distance and she drew a dagger when I was too close for her bow to be effective any longer. She got me pretty good on my right forearm, but I'm left-handed and managed to get my blade up beneath her ribs (nobody ever expects a south paw for some reason).

I didn't want to waste my final potion, so I took my right brace off and applied some pressure to the wound until the bleeding had stopped. Afterwards, I rifled through the belongings of the two dead lookouts and found a rickety chest nearby which I defiled as well.

The watchman inside was sort of a joke, I guess, kept on the payroll out of nepotism. He was blind and easily fooled when I pretended to be another man. As I passed him, I took the book he was reading (which is how I realized he was blind at all) and then copped a feel of his coin purse. It was light but I went for it anyway and found myself in a scuffle with an old blind man.

After watching him run into walls and trip over tables and chairs, I put him out of his misery with a quick thrust to his temple and took the coin purse anyway (all that for 7 gold hardly seems worthwhile, in retrospect). I made my way through the dark and narrow tunnels, collecting some interesting ingredients along the way before I came to a trio of bandits which I knew I couldn't take in a fair fight.

I saw that one of the men was unarmed, which likely meant he was magically inclined, so I chose to cast a frenzy spell on him. My choice proved wise as he burned the other two into smoking heaps of flesh, barely surviving the encounter himself. With only a single, half-dead foe ahead of me, my chances became far more agreeable and I crept behind him and bisected his right kidney.

After finding a cowl which I could use to hide my face in the future, I came upon a pair arguing about a wolf they'd caught and locked in a cage at the back of the chamber. I got as close as I could to the pair when I noticed that there were two archers, perched on walkways above. I magically enraged the mind of one of the archers and then retreated from the corridor, spotting a pull chain along the way. More curious than anything, I gave it a tug and watched with glee as the door to the wolf's cage swung open.

The beast lunged immediately for his two captors and I watched as the group of what used to be four bandits slowly whittled itself down to two. An orc came thundering down the tunnel toward me, wielding a massive steel battle axe. I knew that blade would easily end my life, so I took great pains to avoid it. Chance would have it that the fourth and final member of the bandit cluster followed his Orcish friend down the tunnel and had just emerged into the previous cavern when I smacked him with a fury spell, too.

The Orc caught an arrow in the back and immediately turned on the archer. By the time the green-skinned behemoth made it back to me, he was almost too weak to hold his axe and so I ran my knife along the artery on the inside of his thigh that I knew would cause him to bleed out in seconds. He did manage to catch me pretty good in the side of the head while I was doing it but he overestimated my distance from him and I only caught the haft, thankfully.

I waited for the bells and stars to vacate my head before collecting some arrows and coins from the fallen criminals. I used my last potion to stop the sparking ache in my skull and steeled myself for whatever lay ahead. I left the cave through a tunnel and found myself outside, the icy air bringing goosebumps to my exposed arms.

Only one man waited atop the rocky ledge, high in the mountains, but he was a gigantic Nord and had a massive, steel greatsword resting against his thigh. I saw a large, ornate chest near the man which I assumed would contain the bulk of the bandits' treasure. I thought about whether or not I could grab what was inside and be gone before the brute saw me.

Instead, I decided to end the fight before it started by using the bow I'd found clutched in the deathgrip of one of the men inside. Make no mistake, I'm about as skilled at archery as I am at modesty but I figured any successful shot would at least impair the Nord's movement. My first shot landed but the Nord didn't seem to mind very much. He stood up and drew his own bow, reaching his hand into a quiver of arrows of a better quality than the ones I had foraged.

He was far and away the better archer, I'll give him that. The one shot he landed on me hurt worse than the last arrow I'd taken. I spent most of the rest of the battle trying to time my shots so that I was drawing while he was reloading. I managed to evade almost everything he threw at me but I had to draw my bow too quick for any real power. When I was nearly out of arrows, he suddenly dropped to his knees and began begging for his life. I suppose in my blind contribution to the volley, I must have hit him somewhere particularly debilitating.

I'm no fool, though. I'd never trust the surrender of a cornered bandit so I slung my bow on my back, drew my daggers and rushed forward to stab them between the gaps in his armor, finally ending the confrontation. I hobbled over to the chest and found Amren's sword. I sheathed it in my sword strap and took a few gems and coins from the cache as well. I took the Nord's steel arrows, dropping the remaining few cheap iron ones I'd had left in my quiver on the ground beside him.

With my pack as full as it was and my leg on fire from the gash on my leg from the arrow, I didn't think there was any way I could make it down the side of the mountain which seemed like the most obvious route back to Whiterun. Instead I had to slowly slog back through the cave and limp toward the city. If anyone had decided to attack me at that moment, I wouldn't have been able to flee let alone fight them off. For once I was actually glad to see the hold guards wandering the roads. I didn't even steal anything from them.

In Whiterun, Amren saw me which was a mistake. I hadn't wanted him to know of my success, after all, but there was no way I could hide the sword dangling at my hip. I returned his blade, since running away wasn't really an option. He didn't give me any money for the sword but taught me a few things about blocking and striking which I guess is sort of valuable. I figure I can always just take the sword back from him at a later time, if need be (not that I would; it turned out his wife was right—the sword was not worth the effort spent to retrieve it).

I sold some of my scant, legitimate gains to the vendors around Whiterun and traded my steel arrows plus a bit of gold for 10 Orcish ones at the Drunken Huntsman. Considering how hard it is for me to draw bowstrings, I figure I need all the help I can get from my arrows. Just off the main square in the plains district, there's a shop run by a man named Belethor (a poor excuse for a Breton if I ever saw one).

While he was explaining his reason for coming to Skyrim (I kept mine mostly vague), I saw a plain golden ring which the tag said was enchanted to make any hand that wore it more deft. It cost 948 gold but I couldn't resist. I considered selling the amulet of waterbreathing I'd found in White River Watch to recoup some of the cost but decided against it. Something like that might come in very useful should I find myself chased near a river again.

I ate a pretty simple dinner of grilled leeks and milk here in my room at the Bannered Mare. I'm disappointed to say that I completed my daily asset count a few minutes before I began this entry. I no longer have enough gold for a carriage ride out of town. Riften will have to wait a while longer. Although my leg wound is not serious, I'd rather be at 100 percent when I meet the Thieves Guild anyway. I'm not too worried about the gold; with my new ring I should be able to make up the difference in no time.

David Wik

Internet has been on the fritz for the last few days so I've got a couple more entries stored up. Gonna just dump what I've got so far because who knows when my ISP will decide my block doesn't need consistent internet again. Kinda went in a random direction but that's sort of the point, I guess, going where the character takes you.

David Wik

Day 5—The 21st of Last Seed, 4E 201 11:58 PM Gold: 193
My day didn't start off very well today. I woke up in the morning with my leg feeling better than the night before but too stiff to really move around on. My lack of gold was disturbing me so I decided to check and see who was downstairs and what they had available. I came down the stairs silently and flitted along the edges of the room before finding myself behind Saadia.

I managed to get her lockpicks and unclasped the necklace she was wearing, from behind, grabbing it as it fell through the bottom of her dress. Unfortunately when I cut the strings on her purse, the entire thing split open and coins clattered to the floor, alerting her to my attempt. She drew her dagger but quickly saw that I had no intention of fighting back and sheathed it, muttering about how she didn't want any trouble.

I saw a guard walk into the room, sword drawn. Someone must have told him about the commotion inside but I didn't mind. I knew from earlier explorations (what good thief doesn't know his surroundings?) that there was a back door through the kitchen so I casually drifted toward it and let myself out of the building unmolested. It seems the cowl was a good grab; none of the guards outside mentioned the incident.

My goal for the day was to bolster my purse to at least 1000 gold. I had a very small amount of space left in my pack so what I was looking for was gold in its purest, most beautiful form. As I was contemplating how to stop a man named Nazeem from harassing Ysolda in the market, I caught a glance of the Whiterun Hall of the Dead. People bury corpses with money all the time so I decided to go and have a look-see.

I spoke to the priest, Andurs, and he asked me to retrieve his amulet from the crypts below the building. I figured an amulet might be worth something when I finally got hold of a fence (and they take up almost no space) so I agreed to retrieve his lost jewelry. I didn't really count on skeletons to be wandering around down in by the entombed bodies but they fell apart with a few swift kicks.

I found only 13 gold in the entirety of the Hall of the Dead but I also found a strange and valuable looking gem, encased in a golden box. I took it, of course, though I couldn't tell you how much it would be worth to anyone. The amulet itself was a pretty standard totem of Ar'Kay and, while I'm not particularly religious, I'd rather not steal an amulet from the God of Death (and seasons, but I never understood that part).

Instead, I returned the necklace to Andurs who rewarded me with a paltry 15 gold. He also gave me another 20 gold, a lockpick, a sweet roll and a ring which was enchanted to boost the durability of the wearer, (not nearly as useful as the ring from Belethor, but very pricey-looking) though he wasn't quite as voluntary about that part of the reward.

After that, I finally got around to visiting the alchemist in town, Arcadia. I had hoped she would be a tender young Breton with whom I could speak for hours on the subject of tonics and medicines but she was only a haggard old Imperial woman who smelled of rotted flowers. I really hope Riften has a temple to Dibella. They're always so worthwhile to visit.

I spent a few hours in the shop mixing potions. I brewed a few more potions of restore health and two of paralysis but the process cost me a lot of wasted materials on failed (and probably highly toxic) failures which I'll find somewhere to dump. I wouldn't sell those to any merchant; the thought of them being in any hands but my own unnerves me.

Still, I desperately needed more gold. At that point I was down to less than 100 Septims. It may seem as if I have some compulsive spending problem but I assure you, my real issue lies in the fact that I am unused to having so little coin at my command. After years of being able to purchase any goods I wanted without a second thought, price tags for the little things seem to escape notice. No matter, I'll just have to work harder to combat this natural (and not at all my fault) impediment.

It was while I was milling around the market square, waiting for Fralia to abandon her jewelry cart for the night, that I noticed a rather large building which had escaped my observation completely. The sign above the door said it was Jorrvaskr and from the smell it exuded, I thought it to be some kind of tavern. Excited at the prospect of another demographic of ladies, I entered and found the place in chaos.

A Dark Elf was pounding away on a thick-armed Nordic woman and a group of people were gathered around, cheering them on. I noticed, from the corner of my eye, a particularly savage (and fragrant) Nordic beauty whose armor left little to the imagination. I cleared my throat and began a conversation. Her name is Aela, and though she could probably fracture my ribcage with her thighs, I admit I may have done some foolish things for a chance at the untamed.

The fact that another pretty woman, Ria, was lingering nearby didn't make my decisions any harder. Somehow between the ale (delicious ale in that hall, I tell you) and the conversation with two beautiful women, I agreed to join their little group. I think they call themselves the Companions which excited me at first. I knew what kind of “companions” I enjoyed back in Wayrest.

When Aela and Ria sent me down to the living quarters to speak to their leader about joining up, I was understandably nervous. True, I have been with many women in many places but never with more than one at the same time. I only hoped the gold I was carrying was enough to cover. . . expenses. I was dismayed when I saw their leader was not a buxom matron with an eye for discipline, but an old man with kind eyes and worn features.

The man, Kodlak, asked me if I wanted to join up with his group of fighting mercenaries which I would have declined had Ria not been standing mere feet away and had the shelves of the living quarters not been stocked with so many valuable items (including yet another of the strange gems). Kodlak asked how my skill in battle was and I replied honestly, for once. Something about him shamed me into veracity (but didn't shame me out of stealing what I could while he wasn't looking).

He sent me out to spar with one of his men, Vilkas. I gave Vilkas my best flurry of blows but he laughed and shrugged them off as if I'd been flinging balled parchment at him. After running some errands for Vilkas and the Companions' smith, Eorlund, I was tasked with bringing a shield to Aela which I was more than happy to do. A chance to visit her bedchamber and not be chased away was a gift, to be sure.

I looked around for valuables and coin purses I could take while the bulk of the group was downstairs sleeping but a crusty old crone, Tilma, wouldn't take her damned eyes off me for even a second. Sometimes being blessed by Dibella at birth is a bad thing in my line of work. When I arrived in Aela's room there was already another man there. I grimaced. Two men to one woman is not my preferred ratio, if you catch my drift.

I was shown the abysmal and sweat-drenched beds in which I was supposed to be sleeping but I muttered something about a previous back condition and explained I would be sleeping at the Bannered Mare. Even a woman as fetching as Aela is not worth wrapping myself in somebody else's soiled bedding.

The Companions gave me a menial task to prove my worth in battle which I knew would be difficult since I have almost none if I can't strike unseen from the shadows. I was twice blessed that all they wanted me to do was hunt a kill a single lowly wolf which just happened to have invaded the home of the lovely Ysolda. I knew for sure that once I saved her from the terrible beast, she would be very grateful.

She wasn't. I guess it's because it was only a wolf but still. After the wolf was vanquished heroically (before it even knew I was there), I returned to Aela and collected a purse of 100 gold. I think joining this group might be more lucrative in the long run, beyond just stealing all the valuables they leave laying around. For now, I'll have to wait and see.

Aela mentioned that Skjor, the man who was in her room earlier, was looking for me. I didn't really want to hear what he had to say about such an obvious threat to his (hopefully tenuous) relationship with sweet Aela. I know I have a tendency to put less secure (old and balding) men on edge when I hang around their women. Skjor looks like he's pretty handy with a blade (though he can't be too handy since he's missing an eye) and I'd rather not be the next thing he practices on.

It was almost midnight at that point so I headed back to the Bannered Mare, ate dinner and renewed my lease on the room upstairs. Since it seems I'm not going to be going anywhere for a while, it seemed like a good idea to pay for a week or so in advance. I'm waiting for Mikael to put his damned lute down so I can actually get some sleep. A few more nights of this and I may find myself taking more drastic measures against his musical molestations.

David Wik

Day 6—The 22nd of Last Seed, 4E 201 6:34 PM Gold: 1053
When I awoke this morning I felt fresh and spry. I'd taken a couple more health potions and gotten a good, long sleep and I was ready for action. Before I went out and did whatever heroic deed Aela might require of me, I wanted to make sure my leg was back to normal. I put on my armor (which is in need of a good scrubbing wherever it is they launder things in this province) and walked downstairs to steal some breakfast.

I blame the inn keeper for not cutting me a deal on long-term leasing. Can definitely mark that one off, too. I wonder if I can convince her to sell the inn to Ysolda. That would get the beauty's attention for sure, even if the epic slaying of the disease ridden wolf in her home did not. Anyway, that's why I was stealing breakfast this morning instead of buying it. I refused to let the innkeeper milk anymore gold from me.

I met a hideous beast of a woman named Uthgerd today. She was clad in impossibly heavy armor and wielding a sword just barely shorter than the length of my body. She mentioned something about being able to take me in a fight which I think is a fair assessment. I avoided her baiting and questioning of my undoubted manhood and steered the conversation toward more neutral territory.

Somehow she wound up confessing to the murder of a boy “barely old enough to sprout chin hairs” in the heat of battle. She, much like I, had applied for membership of the Companions (though probably for very different reasons). During her test, she'd killed the boy and they'd rejected her. I wasn't happy about what she had done. I think she should've demanded a stronger opponent, like Vilkas should have done when they put him up against me.

I looked into it but couldn't get a name out of her. I took everything worthwhile that she was carrying (best 948 gold I've spent in Skyrim) and left to see what the companions wanted. There was one problem though, my pack was absolutely stuffed. I had put off creating a horde somewhere as long as possible. You see, the problem with hordes is that, inevitably, someone finds them when you are not around.

I needed somewhere I knew would be safe from the greed of others. At first I thought about hiding it somewhere in the temple, but then I thought whichever God the temple in the Wind District was for might send the priestess a divine vision or something and show her the treasure. I don't really know how that stuff works. I thought about stashing it down in the crypts but I really didn't want to fight anymore skeletons.

Then, it hit me. I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I brought up the possibility that I could best Uthgerd in a fight and she threw 100 gold at my feet before charging me with her steel-covered fists. Evading the clumsy blows of the slowly, steel-clad bear was easy enough but most of my punches glanced painfully off her thick armor. I managed to lure her over a bench which sent her sprawling into the inn's hearth. The patrons quickly rushed forward and pulled her to safety before she was seriously injured. The fight was especially difficult because everybody seemed to be tripping me up on purpose, stepping in the line of fire so they'd have reason to turn on me.

I'm beginning to get the feeling the Bannered Mare's regular customers are getting wise to the bounty on my head and what type of man is living in their inn. My failed attempt on Saadia's cheaply stitched coin purse can't have helped matters. That's why I was killing birds in the first place. It was time to go. I couldn't leave Whiterun, not yet. But I had overstayed my welcome at the 'Mare. Once Uthgerd admitted defeat, I asked if she wanted to get out of the inn for a bit.

I was hoping Ysolda would see me with her and get jealous but that didn't seem to be the case. I don't think a jewel like Ysolda could ever be envious of something like Uthgerd the Unstable. It turned out there was no need to steal breakfast. When I spoke to Carlotta at her stall to make sure Mikael had kept to his word, she offered me food from her wares. She implored me to take anything free of charge. I'm not a big fan of raw tomatoes and cooking is a servant's work so I had to decline her offer.

Plus, Ysolda was nearby and I didn't want her to hear me taking handouts. Uthgerd's house is actually quite a bit nicer than some of the other homes in this city. A good deal better than the shack my lovely bargain-hunter lives in. I figured that if the unfortunately-faced woman no longer lived there, I could simply claim the home as my own.

I couldn't just kill her, of course. I am no assassin. A plan was devised. I dumped a load of stolen merchandise in the drawers of an inauspicious looking dresser and made sure to get Uthgerd's key so I could ensure the door remained locked. I was heading to Redoran's Retreat. I wanted to see if my leg was truly better and such an adventure was just the perfect way.

And if Uthgerd happened to get killed while fighting said bandits in my name, so be it. I just wanted cannon fodder if things went south (which would prove “Fall from Glory”'s curse theory). She'd killed a boy, after all. She was probably praying for it these days anyway with all that guilt. I'd be doing her a favor, in the end.

The trip out to Redoran's Retreat wasn't too bad. The long grass was a boon in remaining hidden and I also happened upon a large and impressively locked chest in a giant camp. I considered sending Uthgerd to grab its contents but there was no way she was getting through that lock. I found 120 gold in the chest and some weapons which I had no use for and the Giants were never aware that I was even there.

There were only three bandits (and a dog) in the entire cave. If not for Uthgerd, I definitely could have gotten in and out without alerting them to my presence. Uthgerd's clunky armor and desire to talk constantly revealed us in seconds to all foes nearby. The final bandit, in the final chamber, was a little tougher than the others and without Uthgerd, I would have lost the fight without a doubt. Then again, without Uthgerd I wouldn't have been in a fight in the first place so I suppose I can call that even.

I may have accidentally gotten my dagger stuck in Uthgerd's back at some point during the scuffle but there's little point in dwelling on it now. She died doing what she loved. If anyone asks, I already have a tale of the heroine's last moments ready to be spun so as not to arouse suspicions.

As I left Redoran's Retreat, having solved my storage problem and avenged a young boy in one fell swoop, I admit I was pretty proud of myself. I took what little gold Uthgerd was carrying and made my way back to Whiterun. When I was leaving Uthgerd's house after spending a little more time arranging my possessions, a courier ran up to me and dropped a purse worth 270 gold into my unsuspecting hand. Apparently, news of Uthgerd's death had spread quickly and I was seen as her only friend. It seems my plan was even more successful than I'd intended.

I realize I've cut this entry pretty short, but today was sort of a slow day. At least I've managed to move myself out of the Bannered Mare and away from the prying eyes of the patrons there. Other than the inheritance there hasn't been any mention of Uthgerd's death among the townsfolk; I guess in Skyrim so many people die horribly every day that a single woman slips through the cracks quite easily.

As I write this I am sitting by the fire in Uthgerd's former home, enjoy a solid (and free) meal. I don't know how I'm going to eat all the food she had stockpiled before it spoils but that's something I can worry about another day. Ironically, the one day I didn't spend trying to amass wealth, I made more progress in that regard than in the last near-week here in Skyrim.

It's still early but I'm going to be in bed soon regardless. A solid sleep, free from the screeching sound of Mikael's voice is too enticing after all the walking I did today. I'm planning to wake up around dawn tomorrow to go and speak with Skjor and see what task he has for me. His opinion seems pretty important to Aela so I'm hoping that by proving myself to him, I will bring her around to my way of thinking as well. I just hope that they have not grown impatient during the time I've kept them waiting so far.

David Wik

Day 8—The 24th of Last Seed, 4E 201 3:34 AM Gold: 2519
Today did not start well. When I left Uthgerd's house, I heard the sound of a commotion down near the front gate. I crept over, using a watch platform to survey the scene and saw a very powerful vampire and two of his minions attacking the lone guard posted there. I figured that someone like me could use a guard who was in his debt so I jumped down and joined the fight.

It wasn't long before the guard fell to his knees, begging for mercy (which for some reason the vampire granted him) and all attention was on me I did what I do best and ran away from the unholy creature, hoping another guard would step in on my behalf. I had to use my Dragonskin spell, an ancient magic that all of my bloodline possesses, to avoid being sucked dry by the vampiric draining attack.

The vampire had two thralls with him and I managed to separate them from their master before reducing them to ash with only a few well-placed swipes of my daggers. The master vampire himself, however was an entirely different story. As unwise as it might have been, I tried my hand at besting the vampire alone while waiting for reinforcement from the town guard.

Amren was wandering the streets, probably kicked out temporarily by his wife, and saw me engaged in battle. He let out a fierce cry and rushed to my aid without hesitation. I suppose it's a good thing I returned that sword after all or I would not have survived to write this. The two of us managed to occupy the undead creature long enough for three guards to arrive.

One guard died but our repelling of the vampire invasion was successful. With my blood rushing in my veins, I dumped my leather armor in an unused barrel near the smithy and returned for the guard's armor. I figure that a disguise could be useful in the future. Once I'd returned to Uthgerd's house to store the uniform away safely, where it wouldn't be found, I returned to the scene for the prize I had been after as soon as I saw the vampire and his thralls breaching the main gate.

The armor the vampire master wore was beautiful in every respect. It was black as night and made from an incredibly supple leather, silent and light. Definitely more stylish than the crude leather armor I had woven together before. I'm glad the sun was not yet up or the people milling around the battleground might have seen me in my small clothes (and I wasn't in the mood to do them such a favor).

With my new armor and a disguise hidden away in the recesses of my new, commandeered, home, I was ready to visit with the Companions again. When I arrived in Jorrvaskr, everybody was still asleep so I took the opportunity to look for some leather. The armor I found on the vampire didn't fit quite right around the shoulders and was a little too long (the vampire was a Nord) and I wanted to do a few alterations including sewing in some straps to hold my weapons. At least the boots fit perfectly.

I didn't find any useable leather or thread in Jorrvaskr, but since the Companions and I were all friends now, I figured it would be alright for me to help myself to a few satchels of gold and a beautiful Elven bow I found just laying in a display case. I dropped my old, splintered hunting bow in the display case, hoping nobody would notice the swap. I have to make up for my deficiency with bows and archery by having the finest equipment, you see. Really I was doing them a favor; I could be of more use to them with an Elven bow than with the one I was using before.

I woke Skjor up when I was sure I had everything I wanted from the living quarters and he sent me to talk to Farkas. Apparently word had gotten around the Companions that I was an expert acquirer of goods. They had information that a fragment of their holy blade (or whatever) was in a dungeon nearby and wanted me to retrieve it.

They decided they didn't really trust me alone with one of their most prized possessions (probably a good call, all things considered), so they decided to send Farkas along with me. On the way out of town, I stopped at the smithy to make the adjustments to my armor and sharpen the edges on my daggers which I have had to use more in Skyrim than I ever would have in Wayrest. Adrianne had an orichalcum blade she was willing to let go for a mere 90 gold. I replaced my steel dagger with it and headed out toward Dustman's Cairn.

Sweet, dull-witted Farkas made the mistake of assuming I knew how to fight well enough that I could lead the expedition into the ruin. We came across a lot of Draugr, something I never thought I'd have to face in all my life. They are rotted husks of men (and smell like it) and I was afraid the spittle and dust which came off them as we struck them down was infested with horrible, ancient diseases. It seemed better for everyone for me to sit back and let Farkas do most of the fighting. He and his friends love battle so much, who am I to deprive them?

After I wandered unwittingly into some ancient Nordic trap and was stuck behind a gate, a group of people came and tried to surround Farkas. The next few sentences are no lie. I know the discerning reader is always on guard for those in any document penned by a thief (though I assure any with their hands on these bindings that I am quite trustworthy) but I swear on my gold that what I'm about to write is what happened.

Farkas, after a poorly thought out one-liner, transformed into a beast unlike anything I've seen before. His face distorted into a snout, his arms and legs lengthened and grew covered in thick, black fur. He was a werewolf and I covered my eyes while he tore the would-be ambushers to shreds. The sound alone was enough that it will require a few extra bottles of Black-Briar mead to get me ready for slumber.

The man-wolf ducked out of sight and returned in his human form. I asked if the Companions planned to turn me into a werewolf as well (I like my body hair the way it is, thank you) but he assured me that was not the goal. I picked up a silver sword from one of the fallen men. I know silver has properties which help it combat the unnatural; ghosts, vampires, werewolves, skeletons and so on.

It made sense that with the recent vampire attack and with the new knowledge that Jorrvaskr was filled with a cabal of secret werewolves, I should have some way to protect myself. I was also pretty sure that we'd come across more Draugr before the day was done, but even more than that, the sword is beautiful to behold. I only wish I had room to take another but I had nowhere to put it.

After the incident with the group called the “Silver Hand”, Farkas' prowess in battle vanished. He outright refused to fight any enemies at all (or ran up behind me, sword sheathed just as I was about to attack from the shadows). I hate to admit it, but a large part of me wanted Farkas to be killed while we were traversing Dustman's Cairn. I honestly believe I would have had an easier time without him.

I began sprinting ahead of the lout just so that I could come up behind our foes without him alerting them to my presence. Once I had a handle on that little trick, the slog through the crypt became that much more simple. In the last room, where the blade fragment was, I saw a large white wall which seemed to be chanting some sort of hymn. You can believe I stayed away from it, I know an obvious trap when I see one.

Once Farkas had the fragments tucked securely way (not that I would've stolen useless shards of metal anyway) the room came alive with Draugr crawling out of the very walls. Farkas seemed to shake off his stupidity just in time to assist me in clearing out the horde. I confess, there was a thrill to the battle and the Draugr, with their ambling gait, made perfect practice dummies for a few new sword and dagger techniques I was trying out.

There was a simple ceremony awaiting me when we returned triumphant to Jorrvaskr where I heard myself called courageous and honorable. I'm sure Aela was impressed, even if she didn't show it. We drank well into the morning, each bottle bringing Aela's chair that much closer to mine, when Farkas ruined the mood and mentioned there was another job they needed done for someone with my skill set. I think my conduct in Dustman's Cairn might have upset him because I soon found my next assignment was off in Dawnstar.

I'm too tired to walk out to the carriage driver at this point. I'll probably spend tomorrow mending my armor, sharpening my weapons and selling off some of the loot I found in the crypt. I can't believe how much gold I found just laying around an ancient Nordic burial site. If it weren't for Draugr, I'd be looking for another one to crawl through tomorrow.

I have more than enough gold to make a statement with the Thieves Guild in Riften but Aela has yet to make her move, though I can sense it will be any day now. I hope it's soon; all this talk of valor, honor and glory in combat reminds me of Ezekiel. It really wears on a guy, you know?

David Wik

Alright, this is the last of what I have so far.

Day 10—The 26th of Last Seed, 4E 201 8:12 AM Gold: 1852
I woke late yesterday morning and visited Adrianne at the forge. I found a couple of silver ingots in the crypt and I was intent on turning them into jewelry for any woman who would have it. I made a necklace and a pair of rings and Adrianne mentioned she was impressed with my skill. The items I made were not very impressive so I know what she was really saying.

Since her husband was nowhere in sight, I decided to speak with the smith a while, since silver takes a while to cast and cool, I had some time on my hands anyway. She told me that she'd made a blade for the Jarl and asked if I could go to the palace and hand-deliver it to her father who would then, she hoped, relay it to the Jarl himself.

There was no way I was going to decline a legitimate reason to visit Dragonsreach so I returned home and changed into my guard uniform in case I wandered off the beaten path within the palace, I figured it would raise less suspicion. I dodged an angry-looking Dark Elf woman and spoke to Adrianne's father, Proventus. He strongly implied that the Jarl would never see the sword and a few minutes later, I saw it strapped to the balding man's back. I wasn't going to be the one to tell Adrianne; she could probably beat me just as handily as her hulking husband could.

The Dark Elf harassed me excessively. No matter where I went, she followed. The game of cat and mouse lasted until I managed to duck through a door when she was not looking. I found myself in the Jarl's quarters and immediately set to work. The other guards paid me little mind in my disguise. I was much shorter than any of the other men in uniform but I made sure not to linger next to any of them for very long.

The only thing I found of any note (besides a few coin purses) was yet another of the unusual gems bringing my total to three. I'm not sure why I keep picking them up when I see them. If I've found three in a week they can't be all that rare and nobody will buy them from me, not even Belethor who will buy pretty much anything I dump on his counter. There's just something in the way they shimmer and hover above their case. The thief in me cannot resist.

Back in the market, I ran into Ysolda who was still desperately pretending there was nothing between us. I decided to head to Dawnstar. Maybe word of how useful I am to the Companions will get around town and melt the wall of ice between us.

When I arrived, by carriage, in Dawnstar it was already pretty late so I headed for the warm fires of the inn. As I made my way carefully down the slippery road, I heard the sound of the carriage behind me pulling away. I called after the driver and asked when he would be coming back to take me home. He said he wouldn't and made some rude gestures.

Undaunted, I went inside Windpeak to see if perhaps there weren't some isolated beauties, desperate for the company of a civilized, honorable member of the Companions. I rented a room for the night and overheard a priest of Mara and a crowd of eligible women complaining about nightmares cursing the town. My ears perked up at the mention of a curse and I figured I could use some experience with the subject, considering I may or may not be cursed myself.

Also, the chance to help a swarm of ladies and replace their nightmares with dreams of myself could not go unanswered. I asked a young woman, Karita, to play a song for me but she was terrible. I complimented her, of course (hoping the blood trickling from my ears didn't make my distaste too obvious), but I will never ask her for another song.

While the women were still all gathered, I made a show of bravely marching up to the priest, Erandur, and offering to help rid the lovely ladies of their bad dreams. Karita was impressed with my courage but the other women were too busy nervously twitching from sleep deprivation to be supportive. I explained to all present that I was in town on business for the Companions of Whiterun since it was sure to impress them.

I didn't tell them that my task was to beat up an old war veteran, but that's what I set out to do once the patronage at the Windpeak Inn was suitably astounded by my excellence. Horik, my target, was pretty easy to beat into submission. He wore large and clunky armor as Uthgerd had and so lacked the agility and natural grace that I possess. It was a relatively simple matter of getting him on his back where he rolled around like a flipped turtle before relenting.

Once my obligation to the Companions was fulfilled, I spoke to Erandur and we headed out toward Nightcaller Temple. I had tried to sleep but didn't want to risk experiencing the nightmare curse of the rest of the town and I knew that Karita or any of the other women would avoid my bed as long as the threat of unpleasant dreams lingered within it.

On our way up the mountain we were attacked by a dreadful ice wraith. I've read one of Herbane's books on the subject so I knew my best course of action was to run away down the mountain back to the warmth of the Windpeak Inn. Unfortunately Erandur, who was far braver than I, began unleashing a torrent of flame on the frosty spectre.

I knew I couldn't stop the nightmares without him, so I had to save him along with my chance at romancing the love-starved ladies of Dawnstar. It was nigh impossible to land a dagger on the sleek skin of the wraith which danced around in the dark of midnight but I managed to land a few good strikes and together, Erandur and I vanquished it. I will be sure to tell Aela and Ria of the time I saved a priest of Mara from an ice wraith when I return to Whiterun.

I decided to scout ahead and make sure no more surprises were waiting for me along the small path we were following. I saw a small pack of frostbite spiders gathered around the entrance to Nightcaller so I set about thinning the crowd a bit before Erandur arrived. I sneaked up behind one and ended its life with a few good stabs to the abdomen and it died never knowing of my existence.

The two other spiders heard their fellow go down and began searching the area for the offending party. I threw a fury spell at one of them and it instantly fell upon its comrade. I ran back down toward Erandur but he was already launching chains of fireballs at the animals. I supported him, trying out my new bow and I have to say, I think I could make a fine archer if I had the patience for it.

Before we went inside, Erandur warned me that I might come across a group of sleeping Orc marauders which seemed kind of unfair. Nobody told me I would need to fight Orcs just to get a little action in the sleepy port town. Facing an old man in fisticuffs was a whole different story than fighting actual enemies with actual training using actual steel. If my time in High Rock taught me anything, it's to always take an Orc seriously when they bare their weapons.

Inside the temple, Erandur showed me a staff, locked in a chamber below, that he said was the cause of all the nightmares. I suggested that I squeeze through a gap in the broken bars and retrieve it. He commended my bravery (really I just wanted to avoid the damned Orcs) but said that there was a magical field around it only a priest of the divines could dispel.

It wasn't long after that when we came across two brutish Orsimer, just rising from the slumber they'd been afflicted with. I dashed forward and slit their throats before they were off the ground. I figured as long as I could keep doing that, I'd be safe from any real danger. Erandur didn't seem pleased with my choice of tactics and he remained mostly silent for the rest of the trip.

He broke his welcome silence to explain that he used to be a priest of Vaermina but had abandoned his friends and fled when the Orcs showed up. He acted like that was some big deal even after I consoled him by telling him it was the logical thing to do. He was quiet again after that.

We arrived in the library which was devoid of any treasure worth taking. I did grab a couple of books but only because women love a man who can read so sitting in an inn or tavern with your nose in a book draws welcome attention (as long as you don't look too engrossed). I think it's because the men in Skyrim aren't usually the scholarly type and women quickly tire of the same old thing.

There was one book which looked like it might actually have some value so I took it, too. It was much thicker than any of the other volumes in the room and the cover was antiqued. I know there is a market for that sort of thing among nobility in any province. When Erandur saw me with the book, he snatched it from me and said it was exactly what we'd been looking for.

After he divulged his plan to use me as some sort of test rat for a Daedric concoction, I began to doubt he had my best interests at heart. I followed him to the lab (expertly dispatching our foes along the way) and raided it as quickly and efficiently as I could. Someone like myself isn't prone to long bouts of wandering the wilderness and so coming up with supplies to experiment with alchemy hasn't been easy. The fully-stocked research facility provided a rare opportunity to bolster my reserves of ingredients.

I found the Topor he was looking for and he told me to drink it. Thinking of Karita and how impressed she would be with a man who could rightfully claim the ability to walk through dreams, I opened my mouth and dropped the vile tasting liquid down the hatch. I wish I could write of what the “Dreamstride” was like, or even what happened between the time I heard the bottle crash against the stone floor and when I pulled myself off the ground, only to find myself back near the entrance of the temple. The unfortunate truth is that I can recall only fragments and even those are unclear and nebulous.

The room containing the skull also contained two of Erandur's old friends who decided they wanted to defend the skull with their life. I tried to hide in a corner while Erandur confronted the duo but I was spotted pretty quickly. The priest Erandur had called Thorek charged me, his hands crackling with shock magic, and so I engaged him and, after a valiant battle, I plunged my daggers into his spine while he was trying to run away.

I ran to help Erandur with the other priest but he seemed to have things under control so I rifled through a nearby chest (well hidden in a dark corner) and came out with a decent amount of gold for my troubles. When the other priest fell Erandur began his ritual to destroy the skull and the barrier surrounding it. I could already hear the swooning cries of the women at the inn, asking if they could spend their first restful night in months with me.

A smooth, seductive voice echoed from somewhere in the room imploring me to kill Erandur and take the skull for myself. The voice assured me that the town's curse would be ended and said that Erandur was planning to kill me anyway.

I knew I probably couldn't take Erandur in a fair fight; I'd seen him easily best Orc warriors far more skilled in battle than I, after all, so I did the reasonable thing and sneaked up behind him, lodging my left-hand dagger in his armpit, striking his heart, and the other in his back somewhere to hold him in place while his life slipped to the floor. I learned my lesson when that Orc in White River managed to land a blow while he was thrashing around in his death throes and I wasn't about to let it happen again.

The voice which I assume was Vaermina told me to take the staff and use it to drain the dreams of others in her name. I didn't want to say anything about my plan to sell the staff. I was sure there would be a market for that type of thing somewhere. I took the staff and returned to Dawnstar, ready to roll in the gratitude of the local beauties but all of them had fallen asleep in my absence.

Since there was no carriage in sight for a ride back to Whiterun, I decided to stick around town for a while and see if I could find anything more profitable to do than drink away my frustration at the Windpeak. I visited the Jarl. If there was anything worth stealing, I imagined it would be in his palace (a term which must be used loosely in Dawnstar).

The Jarl and his minions were talking about a civil war which had somehow escaped my notice until now. I began to consider how I might be able to profit from such a hardship but nothing came to mind. I grabbed a few bloated coin purses from the hall but the Jarl didn't have any coin for me as a reward for my mighty deed of defeating a Daedric prince.

As I explored the town, I ran into a little twerp named Alesan who rambled on about how his parents were dead and how hard his life was but I tell you, he's never been forced to act as a body pillow for a group of stench-ridden Redguard brigands. He tried to make a grab for my coin purse but I pushed him down in the snow. I could've reported the attempt to the guards but I appreciated his initiative and gave him the coin purse of a passing patrolman instead.

I'm glad I decided to explore the small town because I found a man who was willing to ferry me along the Sea of Ghosts to the province's capitol. I knew they would for sure have a carriage service which I could use to return to Whiterun. The trip in the small boat was steady enough but I didn't want to distract the captain from his task of rowing us safely to the capitol so conversation was minimal.

The first thing I saw when I docked in Solitude was a lovely young woman who called herself Vittoria. After she mentioned she was busy planning her wedding, I forwent any attempts at romance and stole some jewels she was carrying in a satchel on her hip. I think my hands might have lingered a little too long around her slim waist because she caught me and immediately called out for the guards.

I dove into the bay, suddenly glad I hadn't sold my necklace of waterbreathing and waited until the guards had given up their search. I figured that wasn't the best note to begin a proper visit to Solitude so instead of exploring further I slunk to the stables and hired a carriage back to Whiterun hoping that Aela would warm me up after my visit to the arctic climes of the North.

I disembarked from the carriage at Whiterun just in time to assist my Khajiit friends in setting up their camp. I bartered with Ri'Saad and traded some some jewelry I'd found in Nightcaller Temple for some lockpicks and then went to see Adrianne who sold me some moonstone which I used to reinforce my bow and sharpen one of my daggers. After that was finished, I headed up to Jorrvaskr to boast of my victory over the armored and deadly Imperial soldier I'd been sent to subdue.

It was early morning so I sat and enjoyed a nice (free) breakfast with Aela and asked if there was anything else she needed of me. She said there is something very special planned for me tonight. She lowered her voice when she told me this, so I can only hope for the best. I'm to meet her at some secret location beneath the forge behind Jorrvaskr.

I haven't slept well for days now, so I figure I should turn in and rest until nightfall when our clandestine meeting will take place. I told you she would come around eventually.

Wildroses

Hoo boy. I'm pretty sure I know what Aela really wants to do to Jebediah in their clandestine night meeting. I cannot wait to read the next entry.

David Wik

Day 14—The 30th of Last Seed, 4E 201 3:38 PM Gold: 1929
It seems, journal, that I have been betrayed and by the wench Aela no less. When it comes to the fairer sex, I tend to prefer love over war but if my blades have ever screamed for the blood of a woman, they scream for hers. I wish I could tell you what happened during my midnight rendezvous with the savage Nord but all of it escapes my memory as nimbly as I escape guards.

I woke a few days ago in a rank bed at Jorrvaskr being tended to, not by the delicate hands of Ria or my formerly beloved Aela, by the rough (though competent) hands of Vilkas, Farkas' elder twin. There was a look of genuine concern etched into his dirt-encrusted features as I sat up wondering where all my clothes and possessions had gone.

I won't write the specifics of what I'd been anticipating when I followed Aela out to the underforge but I can assure you none of it involved waking up naked in another man's bedchamber. Once Vilkas assured me that everything was safe in a dresser nearby, I checked my body (and my face) for injuries but found none.

When I tried to extract myself from the filth-ridden cot, Vilkas gently (but not really) pushed me back onto the mattress. He said it was probably better if I was sitting down and then told me that, somewhere along the line, Aela had infected me with the blood of the beast. I understood then why Vilkas had seen fit to disarm me and lock me in a room away from the woman whose beauty was suddenly consumed by flames of hatred.

Vilkas told me that I needed to cool my blood, that the rage I was feeling was because of the beast inside of me. He handed me a slip of paper and said that the Companions had been contracted for another intimidation racket out in Riverwood. I snatched the slip of paper and gathered my possessions. The thought of punching some random stranger in the face seemed very enticing.

I marched from Jorrvaskr to Riverwood, so ensconced in my anger that the ground seemed to slide beneath me while I stood in place, clenching and unclenching my fists. I sheathed my daggers (which I hadn't realized I'd even drawn) and stalked toward the village, ready to jump on the first person I saw.

I was on the stone bridge when I realized that I should probably see who I was supposed to be speaking with. I glanced at the note and tossed it into the river, watching as it dissolved. Faendal. Damn. The one guy in the village I actually kind of liked.

I spoke to Faendal who admitted that he'd been skimming profits from the mill and that Gerdur had probably figured it out and hired the Companions to teach him a lesson. I was understandably feeling no love for the Companions at that point in time and Faendal was a pretty stand-up guy in my opinion. His plan (and craftsmanship) of the false letter for Camilla was pure genius and the only problem I could see with his profit scheme was that he'd gotten caught.

I gave him a few tips on how to move money around more effectively without people noticing and gave him 50 gold. I knew the Companions would give me 100 for “handling” the problem so I split the profit with him for an agreement to stage a fight and save us both the trouble of actually risking injury. We waited for Gerdur to pass by and began shoving each other and yelling profanities and slurs as we pretended to brawl.

Gerdur stood nearby, her arms crossed and a wry smile on her face as I “beat” Faendal into submission. I may or may not have mixed a few real haymakers into the the bunch, catching Faendal off-guard, but I think I can pass those off as accidents. By the end of it we were both covered in mud and he was crying quite convincingly, begging me to stop and professing that he'd never do it again. Faendal retired to a nearby stump to eat his lunch and I joined him once Gerdur was gone.

I headed to Gerdur's shack and took anything that wasn't nailed down and left. My hands felt a little lighter and my pulse seemed to have slowed. A little therapeutic thievery can always cure whatever ails me, guaranteed. The walk to Whiterun offered another chance to vent my frustrations on an Argonian skooma dealer who didn't like the idea of giving his stock up for free.

I'm not one to indulge in things like moon sugar and skooma but I recognize that there is a market here in Skyrim for that type of thing. The sugar I can give to the friendly Khajiit, considering it's probably theirs anyhow. The skooma itself is a welcome (in moderation) distraction from the sorrows that plague my refined tastes in this fringe province.

After I killed the Argonian in self-defense, I took his sugar and skooma and tucked it down into my pack where it wouldn't be seen by any nosy guards. I knocked the top off one of the unmistakable purple bottles and drank the entire elixir in one long pull. I needed to dull my nerves or I would do something violent and get myself skewered on one of the dozen blades wielded by the Companions.

Kodlak sent for me when I arrived at Jorrvaskr and was dismayed to hear what Aela and Skjor had done. He had good news; he had found a cure for the curse and he explained that all I needed to do was find a particular coven of witches and cut off their heads. Normally such an appalling act would have sent my stomach into convulsions but I found myself relishing the fantasy of slipping in behind the treacherous hags and stealing their heads. If only Aela could be dealt with so easily.

I took a carriage to Falkreath where it seems I picked up a bounty somewhere. I saw a notice on a post near the guard barracks but it was only for 25 gold and there wasn't even a picture of me so I wasn't too concerned. I tried to nap at the local inn but even though the Dead Man's Drink had no bard, I found I could not sleep. It was as if my very blood was restless. The cure couldn't come soon enough.

I set out toward the Glenmoril Coven where the women hiding my cure in their heads were residing. On my way I happened across an unlucky hunter whose entire party had been disassembled by a bear they'd been tracking. He asked if I had any potions he could have and against my better instinct, I offered to give him one for a price.

He moaned and claimed he was dying so I tossed the potion at him and he drank it, sobbing words of thanks. I held my hand out for my reward and he used it to pull himself off the stump he'd been reclining on. The man, Valdr, asked if I could help him clear the cave so he could properly bury the remains of his friends.

I know hunters, generally, are quite poor but I still figured that I might be able to pick up some gold from the bodies so I agreed, citing the fact that if he got into trouble, I wouldn't be there when he turned around for help and claiming all the treasure found as my own.

The first of Valdr's fallen comrades only carried 10 gold which I had to slip into my purse when he was crying and distracted. Valdr ran ahead, stricken with grief and soon a bear and a spriggan were upon us. Neither creature had seen me yet, so I was content to watch as they bounced Valdr between them. Once he was crawling across the floor calling my name I became concerned that he might draw unwanted attention to me (my plan was to wait for the animals to settle down and sneak past them to loot the remaining two bodies).

I cast a fury spell on the bear and it immediately began shredding the surprised Spriggan. Once the Spriggan's light was doused, I sneaked up behind the bear and plunged my daggers just below its ears, killing it instantly. Valdr stood and, undaunted, pressed on. I took 6 gold from the next corpse we came across while my temporary friend was engaged with a second Spriggan who seemed irate about how we'd treated the first.

A masterfully crafted treasure chest caught my eye and I made my way over to it, walking into the ambush of a third Spriggan. I mentioned in an earlier entry that you should never help a wounded traveller and I implore you to let this be a lesson as to why. I cast another fury spell on the Spriggan and ran way down the tunnels of the cave, hoping that she would prefer to go after Valdr instead of myself.

Instead she went after her fellow spriggan, leaving Valdr and I free to kill them while they were entangled in their own mortal battle. I was just about to open the treasure chest I'd seen when Valdr handed me his lucky dagger, saying that he had no use for it any longer.

The dagger is very light and made of steel. The blade is much heavier than the hilt which ensures better penetration through flesh and ribs, allowing me to strike critically vital organs with greater ease. I'm an avid fan of doing the most of damage possible with a single strike and Valdr's “lucky” dagger seemed like the perfect tool for it.

I made my way to the Glenmoril Coven with my new dagger in my favorite hand, leaving my old steel one behind. The first hag I came across was not what I expected. Given how well the bodies of women in Skyrim seem to age I was expecting some fiery, silver-haired witches with one foot deep in the darkside. Instead I found Hagravens, twisted creatures who are an affront to Dibella herself.

I took great pleasure in wafting through the cave, doling out fatal strikes to the throats of those who had created the curse under which I now suffer. I kept stabbing long after the hags' hearts had stopped beating. It was tough stopping my hands at all. They seem to constantly cry for violence.

I dropped my daggers in the dirt and began clawing at the throats of each kill, pulling away the muscle and tendons holding the head onto the neck. I shook the bodies until their tenuous hold on the skull snapped from the force and moved on to the next hag, repeating the process with a disturbing enthusiasm.

Since Aela dumped her dirty, whore-blood into my veins I've found that I don't mind the rush of combat, the thrill of mortal victory. I can feel her blood on the edges of my perception somehow separate from the rest of me. It whispers things, horrible things. It begs me to hunt, to use the shadows as my lair and pull victims to me with claws of immeasurable strength.

I knew what I was, I'd seen Farkas transform and though I hadn't had the stomach to actually watch the ensuing massacre, my other senses were acute enough to fill in any blanks. I have that within me, now. A disease terminal for those around the infected rather than the affected himself. The temptation to give in and summon this beast to the battlefield is hard to oppress but I have to. Refusing to transform is the only victory I can have over Aela's machinations at the moment.

I can't fathom what Aela was hoping to accomplish. I run from mudcrabs, wolves and skeevers because I know they carry disease. I eat well and make sure my body is capable of fighting off infections. Some of the first potions I learned here in Skyrim were those which remove poisons and disease from the blood. What made Aela think I would be glad to have an infection forced into me, one which no mixture of herbs and flowers can dissipate?

I couldn't let the bush-born Nord go unpunished for what she'd done but my normally elaborate schemes of revenge were all obliterated by the blood. The only plan I could design involved running into Jorrvaskr and painting the walls with Aela's internal workings. As fun as that sounds, it's not my way and preserving my sense of self seems more important now than ever.

I emptied a sack I found in the cave and filled it with heads. I didn't want any of the hag gore getting on my valuables. When I returned to Jorrvaskr, I found that they had been attacked by the same group I'd seen in Dustman's Cairn with Farkas. Aela tried to say something to me but I pushed roughly past her before my hands could drop to my daggers. Option B was leaving Valdr's Lucky Dagger implanted in her soft palette so I think I took the high road.

I got inside and saw bodies everywhere. The Companions seemed alright with one exception. Kodlak was dead. I felt a few minutes of sorrow, given how fairly he'd treated me in spite of how divergent my skill set was from that of those he normally associated with. He was not used to men who creep in shadows and win battles before all parties are aware one is happening but he accepted me for what I was and made a point of using my skills as best he could. A true leader.

Vilkas cried out for blood and I found my own rage building within me. I'm no sentimentalist but I couldn't hold it back. The frothing tide of anger was unquenchable and Vilkas' calling for revenge was like gold in my hands. I knew the real source of my ire was standing outside but she was off-limits for the time being.

The Silver Hand had also stolen all of the pieces of the Companions' legendary blade but I was less concerned with that than with the death of one of the few people I would trust at my back (and the only man in Jorrvaskr who seemed to want a cure found).

Vilkas and I hired a carriage bound for Dawnstar (which I had to foot the 1000 gold bill for), the closest setting off point I could find on my map. He was ready to march out into a blizzard but I wasn't. Even as my blood boiled, it could not usurp my common sense. I finally convinced him to rest here at the Windpeak Inn. I've tried to distract him with the selection of women available but he seems more concerned with my state of mind. He knows something I don't, I'm sure of it.

I've made sure to get him a separate room and retired to my own. I wish I was back at Jorrvaskr where I could look through Kodlak's things and see if he'd perhaps written the cure down anywhere. I think that if I help the Companions with this war they've brought upon themselves, I will have enough clout with the group to convince them to resume his search where he left it off.

I can hear Vilkas pacing in the next room so I know it won't be long before he comes into mine and says I've had enough rest. I should get some sleep so that he does not have to carry me to the fortress the Silver Hand are using as their base when I topple over from exhaustion. This blood does little to facilitate restful slumber. I have dreams which I will not repeat here. I hope they're dreams.

For the first time I miss my brothers. Zachariah would be able to cleanse this filth from me in a matter of minutes and Ezekiel's axe would make sure Aela realized her error quickly and decisively. Not even the Companions would be able to stop that onslaught. I have seen far more skilled combatants fall beneath his valor and righteousness.

As much as I spent my childhood tortured by them, my brothers would have never let someone harm me without good reason. Ezekiel never hesitated to wrench me from the grasp of an irate shopkeeper. Even the tattoo on my face was placed there by Zachariah only under the command of his king.

I realize now that the Quimby boys, united, would have been unstoppable. I realize too that I was the reason for at least some of our disharmony. If I ever see them again I'll make sure they understand that, as I've come to.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts