Cap on Magika Regeneration?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Onyx

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody knows if there is a cap on magika regeneration?

Currently my mage has 125% magika regen (100 from Aprentice Robe + 25% from Resto Perk). I also have Morekei's mast that increases magika regen to (in theory) 225%.

However, I have not seen a difference in magika regen in combat between 125% and 225%.

Does anybody know if this is capped (say at 100%) or if I just need a lot more regen in order to feel the benefits?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Moved to help and added to the title a bit.

I'm not sure if there's a cap though.

Auxilium

In my opinion..
I'm currently at 200% Magicka Regen and it still seems to make a pretty noticeable difference. During combat your magicka regen acts differently, I remember reading that magicka regen drops to 1-2% of your total magicka, so higher magicka in general will help you more for in combat regen. But the regen % stacking still effects the rate at which you regen magicka during combat albeit not as much as stacking magicka in general.

Onyx

I'm currently at 200% Magicka Regen and it still seems to make a pretty noticeable difference. During combat your magicka regen acts differently, I remember reading that magicka regen drops to 1-2% of your total magicka, so higher magicka in general will help you more for in combat regen. But the regen % stacking still effects the rate at which you regen magicka during combat albeit not as much as stacking magicka in general.

Thanks for the reply. I am still not sure how regen works normally, but I assume from what you are saying that during combat, it drops significantly. So I have 300 Mana, so when combat begings my regent is about 2 mana per second unbuffed, and around 4.5 mana per second with my 125% mana regen equipment. It would be around 6 mps with the 225%?

Is this correct?

If so it would explain why I cannot see a huge difference between 4mps and 6mps, still seems pitifully slow in the heat of combat when my mana is drained.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
"Magic Regeneration is different as it is based on a rate of return. So the more + regeneration you have, the faster your magicka will return. The reason why there is no cap, is because you would need a ridiculous amount of regeneration in order see instant magicka regen, which is not possible with every piece of regen gear + enchants." ~ Reladin

There is no cap. You can increase it based on the base 3% per second. Thinking about it, it makes you wonder why the hell magicka regeneration is unaffected by the regeneration buffs in combat seeing as that is where it is needed most. Hmm, I'll do some digging if I get a chance and see if it does change during combat.

Edit: Holy crap, so it regens even slower than 1% in combat. Magicka regenerates more slowly in combat, with a multiplier of 0.33 (do not look at this as a percentage, it is not 33%). Unless it means 1/3rd the base 3% then it does mean 1%. The notes are unclear.

Onyx

"Magic Regeneration is different as it is based on a rate of return. So the more + regeneration you have, the faster your magicka will return. The reason why there is no cap, is because you would need a ridiculous amount of regeneration in order see instant magicka regen, which is not possible with every piece of regen gear + enchants." ~ Reladin

There is no cap. You can increase it based on the base 3% per second. Thinking about it, it makes you wonder why the hell magicka regeneration is unaffected by the regeneration buffs in combat seeing as that is where it is needed most. Hmm, I'll do some digging if I get a chance and see if it does change during combat.

Edit: Holy crap, so it regens even slower than 1% in combat. Magicka regenerates more slowly in combat, with a multiplier of 0.33 (do not look at this as a percentage, it is not 33%). Unless it means 1/3rd the base 3% then it does mean 1%. The notes are unclear.

Just to confirm, the base regen rate in combat is 0.33% per second? OMG *Faints*

*Recovers*

So 100%+ to Magika regen would make it...0.66% per second? OMG *Faints again*

I was trying to fight against the Mages are underpowered notion, but withed gimped magik regen it is hard...

So maybe the question is, how much mana regen (in terms of %) do I need to be able to cast consistently in combat?

Right Now I have around 300 - 370 Magika (+/- cannot remember). This is usually OK for most general fights as I will spawn my Frost Demon, then dual cast a Adept level spell (like Firebolt).

However against tough enemies, since I have to continue to use these spells, my mana dries up quickly, even more so if I start using Apprentice (fireball) spells, then I get about 2 or 3 and then it is the painful run away for around 5 - 10 sec until I get enough mana to dual cast an adept spell, then rinse and repeat (taking mana potions when I can).

Since it seems that Mana Regen is so low during combat, based on the above responses between 0.33% to 2% base, would it not be more effecient to use Fortification Gear (say Destruction spells cost 40% less to cast) instead of say 150% magika regen?

What are your thoughts?

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I would go for fortification gear regardless. Taking from the context of what I read, I think it is 1% during combat. Sorry, I just woke up. Anyway, so if you had 200% increase to regeneration that means you get back to the base 3% during combat. This is grossly inefficient, so I would just wear fortification gear. Especially since you can get it to 100% and your destruction spells will cost nothing to cast. That on the other hand is a bit overpowering if you ask me, but then again this game lacks balance like the US lacks money.

Onyx

I would go for fortification gear regardless. Taking from the context of what I read, I think it is 1% during combat. Sorry, I just woke up. Anyway, so if you had 200% increase to regeneration that means you get back to the base 3% during combat. This is grossly inefficient, so I would just wear fortification gear. Especially since you can get it to 100% and your destruction spells will cost nothing to cast. That on the other hand is a bit overpowering if you ask me, but then again this game lacks balance like the USA lacks money.
Thanks for the clarification on the regen rate. I would suggest to the fine folks at bethesda they look into this.

Re: the 100% fortification, I think I will look into this. I have to test, but not sure if this would be overpowering. I mean, Martial Characters can upgrade their weapons to do obsense amounts of damage per hit BEFORE elemental enchants. For us mages there is no such damage boost except the 50% increase via perks. So Martial characters can bash for 100 - 200 dmg (without power attacks) with no draw back, while mages do less damage and then run outta mana lol so being able to do the less damage without worrying about running out of mana mid fight is not to overpowered I think. Also, I assume one can only get around 100% for one school (say destruction) so, if like me, one uses other schools (Conuration/Alteration/Restoration) then mana would still be used for those schools.

Thanks again for the advise and feedback, much appreciated

Auxilium

In my opinion..
I would definitely be stacking the Fortification Enchantments. It makes a larger difference then the mana regen, especially in combat.

Onyx

I would definitely be stacking the Fortification Enchantments. It makes a larger difference then the mana regen, especially in combat.
Thanks for your response. I think I will be leveling up my enchantments when I get home! Good thing I have a healthy supply of soul gems from all those dwemer ruins :D

AlleyRat

Hey guys,

Just to confirm, the base regen rate in combat is 0.33% per second? OMG *Faints*

Just had to reply to say it's not 0.33 percent. The 0.33 is a multiplier, so it's times 0.33 -- which is the same as 33%, which is the same as 1/3. So the magicka regen in combat is about 1% (a third of the base 3%). Still painfully slow...

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I already edited saying that it was a 0.33 multiplier. He replied to my previous post where I misinterpreted it on the skyrim wiki.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts