Xbox 360 Can't start Totems of Hircine

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ArisRaven

I have completed all the companion quests but I can't get the Totems of Hircine quest to start. I keep getting the message to talk to the leaders of the companions but all I get is dragon hunting, intimidation or beast hunting quests. I have done at least 20 of these and they haven't repeated, but no Hircine quests. I will throw out there that I did marry Aela the Huntress and she is living in the house in Whiterun, so I don't know if that is an issue or not. I love the game but I am a bit of a completionist so this bugs me. Anyone else having the same issue or know how to fix it? Unfortunately I do not have a save before the marriage. Thanks!!!!!

andrea

I have completed all the companion quests but I can't get the Totems of Hircine quest to start. I keep getting the message to talk to the leaders of the companions but all I get is dragon hunting, intimidation or beast hunting quests. I have done at least 20 of these and they haven't repeated, but no Hircine quests. I will throw out there that I did marry Aela the Huntress and she is living in the house in Whiterun, so I don't know if that is an issue or not. I love the game but I am a bit of a completionist so this bugs me. Anyone else having the same issue or know how to fix it? Unfortunately I do not have a save before the marriage. Thanks!!!!!

hello, I had the same exact problem, like many other people. After doing like 15 animal attractions I stopped trying and continued playing for a while, because it seemed that no one was finding a solution for this problem.
A couple of days ago I decided to try to find a solution by myself and here it is:
you simply need to have the witches heads in your inventory (those that you get if you do the optional witches wiping out), if you have them stored in your house after becoming the harbinger (you can't store them before because they are quest items), just go get them back and talk to Aela, if she gives you the animal attraction again, try wait 24 hours and try again, the totem quest should show up in no time.

ArisRaven

hello, I had the same exact problem, like many other people. After doing like 15 animal attractions I stopped trying and continued playing for a while, because it seemed that no one was finding a solution for this problem.
A couple of days ago I decided to try to find a solution by myself and here it is:
you simply need to have the witches heads in your inventory (those that you get if you do the optional witches wiping out), if you have them stored in your house after becoming the harbinger (you can't store them before because they are quest items), just go get them back and talk to Aela, if she gives you the animal attraction again, try wait 24 hours and try again, the totem quest should show up in no time.

I tried this and I still got the animal quests. I did about 5 or 6 and still no totem quests. Does she have to be in the Companion's house? I was trying this while Aela was still in my house in Whiterun. I had the 4 witches heads in my house, but so far putting them in my inventory has not fixed it. Thanks for the response though.

ArisRaven

Ok now things are getting weird. I moved Aela to the companions house, still haven't been able to get Hircine totem quests with the witches heads in my inventory but now Skjor is alive again and giving me quests and saying I need to prove myself lol.

andrea

it is weird indeed, because I have three characters and it worked for me with all three, btw I'm still playing with the not updated version

ArisRaven

I wonder if that is the problem, I am running on the updated,and I think I was on 1.02 when I married Aela. Well thanks for answering, and I will keep trying, but I think Skjor being alive is now the issue. Hopefully an update will take care of that.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
This may sound like a stupid question but are you a Werewolf?

ArisRaven

Yes, I am a werewolf. I think that even though I finished the Companions quest line and I am the leader, with Skjor being alive is making it seem like I am still trying to prove myself to them. Varkas doesnt give me quests but I cured him of being a werewolf, Falkas gives me dragon and intimidation quests, Aela the animal quests and Skjor the family heirloom quests......but I saw him die in the Companion quest line so I think the whole quest line is confused.

ArisRaven

Yeah I was afraid of that, I will have to go back and see if I have a save that he is not back. Since I have loooonggg passed the Companion's quest line and I just went back to it to see if the witches head suggestion would work, I am not sure if I will be able to go far enough back, soooo, I may be waiting on a future patch. Thanks!!!

Chandler9345

Ive been having the exact same problem, and now especially since I cant use my new lycan powers...Is ther any other fix, and is it bad I killed Skjor as well?

Etriel

With regard to the totem quests, putting the witch heads back in my inventory seemed to work. I noticed that the dialog option changes. If she is about to give an extermination quest the option will be "I'm looking for work." but if it's a totem quest it will be "Is there any work to be done?". Also you can't do two of these in a row, you must do an extermination in between each.

So my Aela lives at Lakeview. I adopted a kid. I can't get her to go to the companions house now it seems. Does this mean this quest is out of my grasp until (yeah right) they make a patch?

Dagmar

So my Aela lives at Lakeview. I adopted a kid. I can't get her to go to the companions house now it seems. Does this mean this quest is out of my grasp until (yeah right) they make a patch?
The bug has to do with your marriage status with her. It has nothing to do with her going to Jorvaskkr. All spouses stay in your designated home for the rest of the game unless you recruit them as a follower.

SkyStorm

Hey I got a problemo. I married Aela the huntress and I keep getting animal extermination quests. Maybe i have to do more? Is there away to get the totems without her? plz help ive recieved many different answers but none that are straightfoward. Btw skjor is dead in my game. Im hoping if i do more itll work but if theres a quicker solution plzz help.

SkyStorm

Not yet, i have the heads in my inventory under misc i believe im confused on Etriel's advice. Do i drop them, then put them back into the inventory and them speak with her again to get a new dialogue. By the way i joined the forum today since i spent so much time trying to solve this issue. I appreciate your responding Dagmar

Dagmar

I think that he meant simply to have them in your inventory. It seems like an odd solution but it can't hurt to try. I know that Vilkas and Farkas will not give you their Purity quest dialogues if you don't have them in your inventory but there's an actual relation between the witch heads and those quests.

I did find that someone added to the bugs list for the Totems of Hircine quest in the UESP article on it back in August. The description of the added bug is that if you don't do all of Aela's other radiant quests (Striking the Heart, Stealing Plans and Retrieval) before progressing to a certain point in the Companions main questline that it can trigger a bug where she'll only give Animal Extermination quests afterwards.

The edit note from when it was added to the bugs list indicated it was due to the scripting of the quest. I may take a look at the quest in the Creation Kit later to get a better idea of what that means.

SkyStorm

Alright ill be sure to try that out. This bug is really bugging me. Ill check it out and try some new ideas and let you know if anything changes. Thank you for the help

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts