• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sepulchre

Hello,

I adopted Lucia out of Whiterun first and she lived in my house for a long time.

Then I found Sophie in Windhelm. Poor little waif with a sad tale and all selling flowers. So I adopted her too. However . . .

First, it took several hours of game play, chasing quests etc, before she finally showed up at the house. Before that I could find her in Windhelm and she was delighted to have been adopted but still wandering around the streets there. But as I said, she finally turned up at home.

But now I can't talk to her. I stand there with her saying, "Is there something you want?" or the like but clicking on her just makes the sound you get when you click on nothing or on something that doesn't interact. I want to give her a dress (she's still wearing beggar's clothes) but the game won't let me. Sometimes when I return home she comes out to greet me and asks if I want to play a game, but I can only say yes or no, no other interaction.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a cure?

JoeReese

Don't go where you tell them, play with knives in the basement, only every worry about what you brought them, and don't want to hear a thing you have to say. Sounds about right. :D

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Hello,

I adopted Lucia out of Whiterun first and she lived in my house for a long time.

Then I found Sophie in Windhelm. Poor little waif with a sad tale and all selling flowers. So I adopted her too. However . . .

First, it took several hours of game play, chasing quests etc, before she finally showed up at the house. Before that I could find her in Windhelm and she was delighted to have been adopted but still wandering around the streets there. But as I said, she finally turned up at home.

But now I can't talk to her. I stand there with her saying, "Is there something you want?" or the like but clicking on her just makes the sound you get when you click on nothing or on something that doesn't interact. I want to give her a dress (she's still wearing beggar's clothes) but the game won't let me. Sometimes when I return home she comes out to greet me and asks if I want to play a game, but I can only say yes or no, no other interaction.

Well, obviously you're on PC. Maybe she's just mad 'cause you're playing with too many mods and it confuses her. :)

Actually, I've had similar problems on console that I usually solve by resetting (30 day in-game wait) in a location other than where she is. I've particularly had this problem with Lucia, but have encountered it with pets as well.

sepulchre

Hello,

Well, obviously you're on PC. Maybe she's just mad 'cause you're playing with too many mods and it confuses her. :)

Actually, I've had similar problems on console that I usually solve by resetting (30 day in-game wait) in a location other than where she is. I've particularly had this problem with Lucia, but have encountered it with pets as well.

I know you're joking but for the record I'm only using two pretty minor mods.

I'd like to try this but I don't know what you mean by "resetting", or "30 day in-game wait". It would be worth it if she would respond, but like Joe said she might just be one of those kids who won't talk to adults. Next time I see her maybe she'll have a tatoo or piercing. Or worse, some punk boyfriend from Imperial City. :D

JoeReese

I thought the 30 day wait was more of a an anti-save bloat / lag reducer, but since it's resetting everything that can be reset, it's worth a try.

On a console, you can have some pretty choppy play and very long wait times, after you get to a certain save size. Bethesda recommends waiting or sleeping for 30 days (I usually do 31) to reset all cleared dungeons and remove bodies, etc. Some things do this sooner, but some take the full 30. The more that's reset, the less the system labors to try to load all the changes.

I don't know if it will fix the child bug or not, but it can't hurt. Make sure you don't have anything in a respawning container, do a save (just in case) and then do your 30 day wait. In-game, you end up waiting/sleeping for 24 hrs, 30 times, but on PC you can use the console command:

set timescale to 200000

and count the blinks (sun rising and setting). When you get to 31, go back into console and reset the timescale to 20.

set timescale to 20

I'm not sure why, but my game makes me fast travel somewhere and then back, and it should all be back to normal. If it's not, you've got a backup save.

The other thing you might try is open console, point and click the mouse on the child, so you have the ID number visible on screen, and type

resetai

which should set her ai back to default. It may or may not help.

sepulchre

Thanks, Joe! I'll give the reset a try. Yeah, my game is sluggish and a bit choppy. I hope resetting helps that too. Maybe it will help some of the quest glitches I have as well.

Thanks again!

sepulchre

I do have another home with a kids room. I think I'll try the reset to clear some of the junk out and if that doesn't work I'll make the move.

Again, thank you for your efforts.

sepulchre

Well, I tried. Still Sophie doesn't want to talk to the old man.
I did the 30 day reset. That might have smoothed gameplay, it's hard to tell - still jerky, but that's my crappy laptop for ya.

I tried resetai - no change.

Apparently, I have angered the gods by marrying Serana. Now I cannot move the kids. I have Lydia for my house steward (a sort of mistake or accident, but she does try to protect the place) and she comes with me if I move. I tell Serana where we're going, she says okay and then Lydia's at the new home, but no kids. They're still at the old house. Not only that but when I return to the old house Lydia's there too, like we never moved.

Oh well, having one of my kids not talk to me (unless she wants money, of course) is a common enough circumstance. I really do appreciate you giving me the advice. Hey, we took a shot. I could divorce Serana and get a regular wife. Then I could move the kids . . . nah, I like Serana. :D

Thanks again!

GlacialDoom

I guess she's going through the "leave me alone, DAD!" phase of puberty. :p

In all seriousness, if you play on PC, try using some console commands to make her talk to you again, and if you don't, try loading from an older save, preferably one which you know for sure is from before the glitch started.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Why would you want her to talk to you? Kids are to be seen and not heard, after all. Plus she can't demand an allowance or ask to keep any of those infernal pets they love to bring home.

Hey, Lucia? Where the heck did you get a Fox and how did you get it in to Solitude unnoticed? Oh, and Blaise, couldn't you have chosen a mudcrab or a spider? That skeever is gross. :)

JoeReese

Why would you want her to talk to you? Kids are to be seen and not heard, after all. Plus she can't demand an allowance or ask to keep any of those infernal pets they love to bring home.

Hey, Lucia? Where the heck did you get a Fox and how did you get it in to Solitude unnoticed? Oh, and Blaise, couldn't you have chosen a mudcrab or a spider? That skeever is gross. :)
LOL Solitude unnoticed. They never seem to notice the lizard offering shady work in the town square...or that when he suddenly keels over with a Daedric arrow in his face, that I happen to walk by with a bow, a quiver full of Daedric arrows, and a smile.

mett1982

I adopted Luna (I think that is her name) from the Riften orphanage. When I got to my house she was stuck inside my fireplace in the main hall. I could interact with her but she would just stand there inside the wall/fireplace. I tried exiting my home and coming back in but she was just chilling there. I decided to wait until it was 12am and then she just appeared in her bed sleeping. I just think you have a crappy glitch and it sucks that you can't interact with your little one after saving her from the cold streets of Windhelm.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts