Quest Can I spoil some skyrim's quests by clearing a dungeon?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Vassago Embrace

Hi guys!

I recently started played skyrim, and it's a bit overwhelming. I am concerned about one thing in particular: spoiling some quests by clearing a dungeon before being given the quest.

For example, I entered a dungeon called Haemar's Shame, filled with vampires. I killed them all. Later on, doing some researches on internet, I discovered about a quest called "A Daedra's Best Friend", which sends you to this very dungeon.

Now my fear is that I won't be able to take that quest because I already cleared the dungeon. So I am asking: is it possible to really free roam in Skyrim and entering dungeons and the like, clearing them, without spoiling quests?

I find so many places I would like to visit, but I don't because I am always scared that they might be connected to some quests of which I am not yet aware...

Also, is every single dungeon connected to a quest somehow?

Every help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Paolo

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I can personally say yes. I'm having an issue right now with Hrolfdir's Shield because I cleared both of the known dungeons to hold this shield before getting the quest.

googalizer

I worry about that too. But I've just recently been given a quest to get a specific item in order to be allowed to use the orc's ebony mine....(without them being all pissy) The Item was in a cave that I had already cleared. The map still showed that area as cleared, but it was a very long time ago. Apperently after a certin amount of game time, cave's and such are re-populated. And the Item I needed was in a chest that I'm sure i would have found the first time there.....so I can't I'm 100% positive, cause I suppose I could have missed that chest....but it was right in the open so I doubt it.....

So Basically I think yes you could mess up other quests by going into a dungon or cave before being told to.....but I think that if you did and just waited a long amount of game time before going into that previously cleared area it should be ok and reset, allowing you to complete the quest. Even though your map will always say "cleared" over the marker....

TeggyGoneMad

so far i learned from the xbox wiew, that all quest related things you can gather will be in a way soulbond, means you canT throw them out of your bags if you first have taken them up, ofcause there are bugs around thise quest.. but mostly if you glear a dungeon with a quest, item, that item should either take you into the quest, or next time you go there, for the quest, it should be there again, but then again this is on xbox, so not sure it will help you out

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Yea, I don't know about that. It's been two weeks in game time since I cleared both areas where my quest item is and the caves still aren't repopulated.

rizen

A to the K homeboy
I straight-up went exploring to begin with because I was both impressed with the graphics and curiosity got the better of me...the dungeons will repopulate (chests refilled and items of value back on shelves) even though on the map it will say cleared...I have gone back to dungeons previously cleared for quests with no problems yet (that I'm aware of) although I would recommend doing the thieves guild before doing the dark brotherhood (DB put me through the thieves 'ratway' dungeon in advance and now the thieves guild wont work for me, that hasnt repopulated and I'm expected to fight my way through again)...ah well...

Vassago Embrace

Thank you all guys for the support and the info!

Let's see if we can get a definite answer to my question... I even emailed Bethesda, if they answer I'll post their reply here.

Take care,

Paolo

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Well it turns out that my radiant quest kicked in recently. I saw a marker on the map and was wondering what it came from and well it was the Hroldir's shield quest. It was not in one of the caves I cleared, but it was in a new area.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I've cleared a cave that was involved in a quest, only to return and still be able to do said quest - it was the one in Wolfskull Cave near Solitude. I've also had quests where someone wanted an item from a cave and I've already cleared it so I have the item in my inventory - easy gold :)

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
It seems that some quests can be broken like this, others can't:

I've broken Shalidor's insights by finding the book earlier, and Kill Hagraven Petra by killing her earlier.

I forced both quests to complete using the console, but in Shalidor's case I didn't get the rewards and he now still won't go into dialogue with me nor would he receive the War Of The First Council book, which was a side quest.

Other quests, like the one involving killing the b**ch running the orphanage at Riften completed fine , it was even foreseen by the game, there was an "I already killed her" option in the dialogue to complete the quest.

So it looks like Betehsda ought to go in and include this kind of failsafe in all the quests.

beny_man

In most cases it doesn't make a difference if you clear a dungeon or cave if it involves a quest to kill some one because it will fill up again with NPCs. If it's to get an item and you have it on you you can complete the quest there and then.

however if you sold the item it should reappear in it's original place but more likely you have to re-buy it if you can't do any of these then the mission a wright off.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts