• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I've decided that rather than start a new thread every other day whenever I try out something new, I'd finally get around to make an Encompassing thread for them to keep track of my progress, findings (Most of them are experimental) and share build/training strategies. First off, let me say that I don't Grind, Bookshelf Train, or use Crafting Loops to up my XP. What I do is fight, cast spells, and generally craft just a little to get a slight edge with minimal investment.

Case in point, my latest build is new to me, but should look familiar to most people. Blau: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! Orcish Knight, but the difference being the Smithing tree, namely Steel, and that's it. Why? Because the total level is 30, which is right about when Ebony opens up, and you can fight most of the baddies in the game, but you're still not capped, only have <400 Health, and actually have to hit some things a few times to enjoy Epic battles. This is what we used to call a Steel Pure in RunEscape.

Also, to take advantage of all the Steel Tier has to offer. I don't know if you noticed, but Skyforge/Wolf, Blades' Swords/Armor/Shields, Windshear, The Targe of the Blooded, Foreswords/axes/bows, and so much more can all be taken up to Superior with 1 perk. With Smithing up around 30, and proportionate to level, this is actually about as Light as you can get in their respective classes to compensate for going with the slowest/heaviest. This means less Stamina for Sprinting, Power Attacks, Bashing, and Great Critical Charge so I can spend it all on Health.

Note, most of the aforementioned are not 2 Handed, but that just means getting a Sword&Board Follower to handle the rest. Or 3 Blades to go beat on Dragons, and collect them all. The primary will probably end up being Lydia (I opted out of the Conversation before he could make me Thane) at Maximum level, instead of the usual minimum, probably with the crushing Targe, and Windshear combo. Stagger in both hands, to Tank&Spank with Bleeding Damage, because Followers never get the Hack&Slash perk.

This also means running at least one out of character Faction, but I kind of dig on the irony of the Listener being a Battleaxe Tank with no more stealth than Farkas, and while I'm at it, run the College for my favorite cleaver, the Drainblood Axe. What's not to love? Sword light for Stamina retention, Vampiric, and Bleeding on a stick? So worth it. I don't have a problem casting a couple spells for access, picking up the best Staffs in the game (For anti-mage, and/or Dragon) and the 3rd piece of a rather nice amulet to boot.

Morgan

Steel is also where all the JaySus swords can be crafted and improved. Those are so great looking you don't even WANT to play with daedric or whatever.

Update: Here's Ferrochess, (Without a horse, she's more of a Rook.)
224482B6D817DF02DF376688D5F1561391644AE3

Again, a Steel Pure (Or Ranged/2H Hybrid, though the Emphasis is on the 2H.) Currently holding at Lvl 9-10, the last thing I did was beat up:
BDFF2BC38CA419DEFC5A8AEBFF9726FC31EC309F

He never touched me. Jumped down, took a cheap shot before he got up, bashed, Power Attacked, and finished him with a regular swipe before he recovered. Let me just say, this guy can be pretty tough for a low level, however, I'm sitting at 52 Damage (SSGS Superior) 117 Armor, total equipped weight of 49, and all it cost me was a couple thousand Septims, and 6 Steel Ingots. That's S.I.X., including one for my Foresworn Bow, 30 Damage, 11 equipped weight.

Took me about 3 hours, with a couple breaks. Helgen to Riverwood, Faendal train, then Alvor (Hadvar door) for some basic kit. Bandit Iron to save the Steel, I found another in BFB. Companions, natch, Skjor sent me clear out to Serpent's Bluff to rescue some Kidnapee, and walk him to Rorikstead. Broke my heart, really. (All their armor is just waiting for me to come back with a load of Leather.) 200 coin, and I get to walk Frakas through Dustman's Cairn again, barely let him get a hit in on anything. Swapped between his SSGS, and a Silver one from the first pile of broken Hands, pick up All of the silver great/swords to sell when I get back. (Actually had to leave a Wolf Pelt behind, Pro-tip, they weigh 1, Leather weighs 2.)

Also some random Gems, hit up Embershard Mine, a couple Bandit Camps, and random encounters, but other than those, that's it. Now, this was on Adept, I'm sure you'd do all right on Epic, or Eleet, and probably even earn more XP from it. Only had to pop the Rage once, it got kind of thick with mixed SH, and Draugr there, and I really wanted to beat the steel twin to the punch.

This is not a complete build, by a long shot, but that wasn't the intent. A shortcut Fast Track for a good starter to Build on, think of her as a Foundation. Take it wherever you want, I've got a date with Mirmulnir, then my dance card is pretty full with The Greybeards, Delphine, Salohknir, Esbern, and eventually Big Bad Al. Probably going to run the Empire, possibly even stick with them for once for piles, and piles of Stormcloaks. Clean out the Forts of Bandits, or whatever, then come back, and clear it again for maximum Treasure/Loot.

Current Skills are: 2H(46) Barb(3) ChampS; Archery(50) OD(2); HA(38) Jugg(1); and Block(31) unperked. Next one (Already saved up for a full heal beating on Mirmulnir) is probably going into the bow, and I can't wait for Critical Charge. Scroll up for the planned level 30 build, but if you'll excuse me, I've got a bunch of fights to pick...

Morgan

Is that a Mod? I haven't heard of them.

More to come...

Yeah. Beautifully hand-crafted, 3D models that are perfectly suited for the environment. They are a bit more powerful at lower levels than their vanilla peers, but not too much. This is mediated a bit by the fact that the mod includes a distribution list update, so all those bandits will be swinging these weapons at you too. The more powerful ones slowly appear as you level smithing, but don't require adding any additional perks.

JaySuS Swords at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community

Pretty! Steam Workshop? I don't Nexus. I like that it's distributed so you're likely to run into them before you craft your own. Are there any pre-requisites to unlocking them, besides Steel Smithing?

Teh Scimmy looks wicked.

Subtle

An Unexpected Ally
This build is full of win. I'm not a big fan of two handed 'cause it's too easy: you have huge damage output with the weapons ALONG with block? I smell OP. But I like how you're gimping yourself by using only steel armor. Might be difficult at higher levels?

This build is full of win. I'm not a big fan of two handed 'cause it's too easy: you have huge damage output with the weapons ALONG with block? I smell OP. But I like how you're gimping yourself by using only steel armor. Might be difficult at higher levels?
Designed not to get to much higher levels. More of a min\Max than a gimp, TBPH. I'll let you know when I get to level 30, but I just spent my level 10 point on Great Critical Charge, and celibrated by 2 shotting a Sabercat. (Just a regular swing to finish them off.) Then, to test it all out, I ran through Labrynthian, and gave a couple Frost Trolls a very bad day. They hurt me, I'll be honest, but I didn't pause to heal, nor need a single potion until the second one. This is why I make Pures.

Morgan

Pretty! Steam Workshop? I don't Nexus. I like that it's distributed so you're likely to run into them before you craft your own. Are there any pre-requisites to unlocking them, besides Steel Smithing?

Teh Scimmy looks wicked.

Not on Steam, no. I think the file size might exceed their max. Might be worth making an exception to no-Nexus policy for this one though.

Not on Steam, no. I think the file size might exceed their max. Might be worth making an exception to no-Nexus policy for this one though.
I just don't have an account, easy enough to fix, they haven't had anything exclusive I wanted so far...

Let me finish this Vanilla, I'm kind of obsessive about making sure my builds are doable for everyone, not just those of us with the good fortune to have a gaming computer.

Morgan

I think a really good alternative use of this build would be the "Imperial Officer." IE, complete the Civil War (and enough of the MQ to make this possible) using nothing but Imperial sword, bow, and the armor you get from Beirund upon joining the army. I've done this using the light Imperial gear and it's really fun. Kit out your follower(s) with this gear and you can call it a scout unit.

Also doable, but not quite as satisfying on the Stormcloak side, since their armor is more of a hodgepodge of regular gear and much less uniform-like.

Here's what she looks like without the Helm:
9E538D2AAD082C9DBD90E73773898F0350BD609D

26A632AB37E1433765A81C9E4A6D1237AE91A1E0

and her total equipped weight. Note, a full set of Steel Plate weighs 20% more, and doesn't protect as well without the Perk, and only Dragonscale is lighter And protects better than this in Light Armor. I don't have the Conditioned perk yet, my HA skill is only 44, but this should give you some idea of how ahead of level this is. Having just completed the Thalmor Embassy (along with Broken Oar grotto, the ice Runner, Dainty Sload.) I also joined the Legion, and cleaned out Hraggstad while I was in the neighborhood. I'm about to go get the Jagged Crown, and probably do the Wolf Queen when I get back with it before going to dig out Esbern. I have to keep fighting, or I'll never get these skills maxed out, but at this rate, I'm probably going to have to drop the Limb Splitter perks, because even with Lockpicking, and Speech (Smithing is expensive) the XP is starting to slow down. This is why i playtest these things...

So, I'll probably grind up to my next tier build, which you've seen if you've been following me a while. Work up to beating on Falmer, clean out Liar's Retreat, then head down to the Rift for some Orkish armor, and Volendrung. Forelhost for Rahgot, the only mask for this build that makes sense, and Sigdis' Amulet Fragment to double my Stamina (With absorption on the Fellhammer.) That ought to get me up to 30, but means going, and beating on Giants, so I'll have to take a level in Badass first.

Subtle

An Unexpected Ally
Here's what she looks like without the Helm:
9E538D2AAD082C9DBD90E73773898F0350BD609D

26A632AB37E1433765A81C9E4A6D1237AE91A1E0

and her total equipped weight. Note, a full set of Steel Plate weighs 20% more, and doesn't protect as well without the Perk, and only Dragonscale is lighter And protects better than this in Light Armor. I don't have the Conditioned perk yet, my HA skill is only 44, but this should give you some idea of how ahead of level this is. Having just completed the Thalmor Embassy (along with Broken Oar grotto, the ice Runner, Dainty Sload.) I also joined the Legion, and cleaned out Hraggstad while I was in the neighborhood. I'm about to go get the Jagged Crown, and probably do the Wolf Queen when I get back with it before going to dig out Esbern. I have to keep fighting, or I'll never get these skills maxed out, but at this rate, I'm probably going to have to drop the Limb Splitter perks, because even with Lockpicking, and Speech (Smithing is expensive) the XP is starting to slow down. This is why i playtest these things...

So, I'll probably grind up to my next tier build, which you've seen if you've been following me a while. Work up to beating on Falmer, clean out Liar's Retreat, then head down to the Rift for some Orkish armor, and Volendrung. Forelhost for Rahgot, the only mask for this build that makes sense, and Sigdis' Amulet Fragment to double my Stamina (With absorption on the Fellhammer.) That ought to get me up to 30, but means going, and beating on Giants, so I'll have to take a level in Badass first.

That's the hottest orc i've seen in my whole goddamn life. My god...

And now, for something almost completely different...
56A10909C54FE7745039922C6AEB6D2D77A690E7

Dunmer don't come with any weapons skills, so for a little variety, I thought I'd try it with a Battleaxe. Otherwise, the skillset is similar to a Spellsword, while the Combat Tactics are a little different. You can't have Magic in the off-hand, so instead, you start off with Spells, then switch to the axe when the enemy closes, and/or your Magicka runs dry.

The secret to this is using Duration spells, specifically _Flesh, Summons, and Flame Cloak. I wish that the Bound Battleaxe wasn't glitched so that you have to save before each casting, but I'm still going with Conjuration for Fire Support. Atronachs, Dremora Lords, and eventually Dead Thralls for a small army, followers until then.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! As this is a level 50, I'm probably going to take a couple days at this, none of the skills train together like a Spellsword, or Nightblade, so different tactics for different fights. At first, Burn Draugr, to get up to Adept Destruction (and Augment Elements) quickly, then switch to Conjuration for later in the game. The AOE of the Cloaks, with DoT are to enhance you in battle, either stacking Burn damage with the bleed, draining stamina, or Lightning to reach out and touch Dragons on the wing. (Storm Cloak is too expensive to cast, and mages tend to evade, so you won't likely get to use it effectively, this element is more to replace Archery.) Until then, I have Ancestor's Wrath for the tough fights each day.

In Alteration, _Flesh reinforces Light Armor to increase your protection, as well as Detect Life/undead to avoid surprises, and plan out your assault. I'm shooting for around 200 Magicka (in addition to worn) to cast both _Flesh, and a Cloak, or Summon. By the time you need them again, your Magicka should have recovered, so no need for Robes, though I will be on the lookout for Armor of Magicka, Destruction, Alteration, and/or Conjuration to bring the casting costs down.

E615124B9091526362AD19490F5A94BC8D44264E

Here's the starting Armor rating you can walk out of Riverwood with, (The trader sells Oakflesh.) Not bad for less than an hour's worth of work, you can do slightly better with Steel, but only if you can find/buy enough pieces, and ingots to craft it up. Generally not going to happen until Whiterun, and it slows you down immensely hiking from town-to city-to dungeon for training.

This should scale, with more powerful spells like Ebonyflesh, and when it wears off, you still have the base armor (Improved) to keep from getting 1 shotted. This is how I plan to survive in melees until I can work up some Weapon skills to catch up with Destruction. Just left Jorvaskr with Farkas to get some Silver, and Skyforge weapons, and a whole lot of Combat Experience. Then, the Main Quest to der JorgenHorn, to unlock FRD, and Wuld/Nah as well as Dragon fights, and Words. And finally, his primary Faction to get his Weapon of Choice, the Drainblood Axe (Not to mention some handy staffs.) Possibly hire Ahtar to get my hands on his for faster striking, and stacking up bleed.

That's what this build is all about, Light Armor+Ebonyflesh+Block=Plenty of Defense. Bleed, Burn (From Flamecloak) and possibly Absorb Health with summons/thralls should handle all the offense so he need never Sneak. Probably going Solo for the duration, and then hiring/marrying Jenassa for complimentary skills. Light Armor to match mine, but she can take all the 1 Handed weapons I won't be needing, like the Blackblade, Red Eagle's Fury, and Dawnbreaker. Possibly Eola for more summons/zombies...

Well, that sucked. I thought my Leather, and Steel should carry me through Morokei draining my Magicka, but that just robbed me of the support spells like Stoneflesh, and Flame Cloak. I can cast the former, but don't quite have the Adept Destruction perk to cast the latter half off so I have to Half Stack them while my Magicka recovers. (Cast one, fight while my Magicka recovers, cast the other, whoops, there goes my Magicka!) Outside, I can keep them both up indefinitely this way, but these interruptions are getting me killed, and there's literally no defense against them. The Trolls were no problem, I burned the Staff of Jyrik Gauldurson dry on the Whisp Mother, but I'm starting to wish I'd picked Magic Resistance instead of Magearmor, even though it's just 10% (Which is why I didn't.) Knew I should have swung by the Lord Stone on the way down here.

Just took a Drainblood to the back for a 1shot fighting a Skeliton. (One of the tougher hooded ones with magic so it wasn't a 1 shot.) Ouch, YASD. With any luck, I'll have a screencap with one in my hands tomorrow, it should be a breeze after that.

OckhamsFolly

Hey, I know you've switched to a different build, but re: the xp slow down and expense of Smithing for it on the orc, have you already hit kolskeggr mine near Markarth? If not, you can probably squeeze a few skill points of Smithing there, jewelry crafting is a pretty quick way to level it.

Not your typical Archmage:
CA749EBE3967A4FE3D7D5C109352EED62B686C08

Ok, the main difference between this build, and a Spellsword (Other than 2Handed) is Block. While you do have to swap out for your weapon, you can in fact slug it out in the melee with the best of them. Spell/sword can't because of lack of Dual Wield, or Bash, so they're basically limited to Power Attacks, and Great Critical Charge to stagger, and run. You could always drop in a dagger once they close to Dual Wield, but there's still no Block, and they lack the shear damage/power, and reach of a Battleaxe.

Now that that's done, I'm sticking with the basic build, but with the Drainbloods (I have 2) for Enchanting trainers, as well as Jyrik's Staff. The axes are only good for a few swings before they burn out, but that's okay, because I'm not DEPENDING on them for healing. The main thing is they weigh 5, less than most swords for stamina friendly bashes, and Power Attacks. Also, as an Axe, I get to stack the bleeding damage with fire from the Flame Cloak, and the Drainblood effect, which adds another 15 to the already respectable damage.

Up to Ironflesh now, and Stability (1) with Magic Resistance (2) The Lord Stone next. My Armor rating is right at 200 with the spell up, and 140 without, and I haven't touched the forge since Riverwood. It's all Agile Defender, and Alteration, I don't plan to wear the mask, and robes on my adventures, but around the office, they're badges of my Rank as Archmage.

I didn't need Conjuration, at all. I planned for it, can always take it up (It levels fast) but I'm going to Enchant instead. I have this here Dwarven Dagger of Gleaning to disenchant, along with a Drainheart Sword (Unique enchantment) for when I get up to Extra Effect, and clean out Lost Volskygg for some Ebony. Double Absorb Stamina means it doesn't matter how heavy it is, I'll always have more for Power Attacks. That's the plan, anyway...

Back to the main quest, I guess, last I saw Delphine was Kynesgrove (on the way to Mzulft.) While I'm in Solitude, unlock Ahtar, and his axe for the double Stamina to replicate the effect of Volundrung, but Limbsplitter compatible. (Less damage too, but that means I get to swing more!) I still have Uthgerd the Unburned (After her Helmet, and Ancient Nordic Greatsword of Scorching, great outfit on her) who hasn't broken yet. The plan was to let her die, and grab her stuff for Mjoll, or someone, but she's held up like a champ, and added another slugger to run down my enchanted Silver Greatwords.

Another day, another Restart...

This morning, I woke up dreaming of a Magetank, probably because of recent comments. Breton, though Redguard would be another good pick for Stamina recovery, and Poison Resistance once you start running into Falmer/Charus. HA, Block, Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, and a little bit of Smithing (yet another Steel Pure.) The primary Questline will be the Dragonborn, for the Targe of the Blooded, and you better believe she's going to be using the Lord Stone most of the time.

Why those skills? I thought about Illusion, and 1H, but both are perk intensive, with my planned endgame pushing 50 all ready, and a very slow fighting style. Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! She'll mostly be wearing Robes, to slow her down as little as possible so she need not do all the gateway perks to Conditioned, nor use the Stone slot for the Steed. She's a turtle, slow, and ponderous enough, but once she covers up, almost impervious to whatever you throw at her. All she needs is a decent Offense...

Destruction sucks at level 50, but that's just in relation to Weapons. She needs to be able to defend herself, but Thralls (And possibly Dremora Lords) do all the work. Solo, she can Bash&Burn with Wall of Flame/Cloak (Just plain old Flames to start) and the bleed from her primary weapon, The Targe of the Blooded. Other than probably Wolf boots/glove, the other armor is the Dragon Priest Masks (3 of them) Vokun, Otar, and Rahgot (In planned order.) Vokun fortifies 2 schools, and comes with Flaming Familiar, my Conjuration trainer, and body generator for Necromancy. Rahgot, and the Gauldur Amulet doubles my stamina for Bashing in heavy melees. Otar stacks with Elemental Protection for 80% Fire/Cold/Shock Resistance (on top of 80% MR from Breton, Lord, and Alteration to more than Decimate this damage.) Note I'm going for the Atronach Perk, which is why I'm specialising in Undead. Also, I have a daily minute of 80% Spell Absorption for soaking Dragonbreath, and using it to power return fire.

Physically, I'll have the shield, and minimal armor to prevent 1shotitis. However, I'm also going for Dragonhide, and Stability so I can have 45 seconds at the damage cap, plus Block/Bash in the moshpit. Short duration, but time enough to thin down the opposition a little and mop up in my regular Armor. Gonna be a long build, though, if I even make it past Blackreach before getting bored, I'll probably keep on through Skuldafn, and Sovngarde(Breton speling) today. Primary Shout is Wuld, for mobility, about all she really lacks.

Novice:
56C68E3DFFD4154058F36656723AD16F0479CFE8

Leveled up 4X on the Wounded Frostbite Spider, ( http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1119411465608190407/7F8084DC0A408E06BF5DB9724B66D0915AB9B3D1/ [which came in handy, by the way]) and went ahead with Novice Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, and Augment Flames. That's my primary damage dealer for now, so it leveled nicely.

I must say, she doesn't Feel like a level 5, at all. The stacked Steel/Oakflesh/Block is ultra tough, and having whatever Zombie around to lay on the beatdown while I Bash&Burn ends fights pretty quick. Incidentally, the Draugr Lord at the end, I couldn't get anyone through the Claw Door with me, so I had to pretty much Solo with Familiar. I swapped to a Torch (Embershard Mine) and beat him to the strike to stunlock him with twice the burn, because of his Greatsword of Cold to drain my Stamina. If I'd let him hit me, no more Bash, then it's just a damage race. I had to get Level 6 halfway through, because he did land one on my block, and tapped me out, but I had him down to halfway at that point. Close quarters, Flames/Torch is better than Impact, because you can't get it yet, your Magicka gets to recover, and the torch is light enough to conserve Stamina. Helpful tip for anyone who want to try this.

That point went to Steel Smithy, since Alvor was in for the knight, I availed myself of his ingots, and hammered out this snazzy outfit. Only got to Temper one, so it went on the board out of personal preferance. (Shield AR doesn't affect damage Blocked.) Other than that, it was a relative breeze, up next, Winterhold, Saarthal, the Scorched Cape (It's on the way) and High Gate Ruins for a better Helmet.

I'll save some space in IMGs, here's my Gallery... Steam Community :: rrubright :: Screenshots

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts