PC Bound Sword spell causing CTD

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I DO have mods installed, I HAVE tweaked my .ini and .prefs, but what I can't wrap my head around is the fact that none of those settings even remotely tweak my conjuration spells. Luckily for me i'm a rogue so I don't even USE that, but I wonder if anyone here has encounted this before?

Windows 7
3GB DDR2 RAM
1TB HDD
Nvidia 9500GT XFX 512mb

It always occurs just as I finish casting the spell to summon the sword. Wielding the spells is fine though. And as I said, my mods only consist of things like Skyui, Categorized Favorites, a few modded weapons (additions, not replacers), and various textures to increase visibility of arrows, ore veins... That kind of stuff. I have NO mods that touch my spells. I heard of a bug that caused someones game to crash while DUAL-WIELDING the spell, but I can't even single-wield it.

I would verify my game's integrity through steam, but i'm not sure how that'd affect my mods if at all.

Update: I just tried it once more, and apparently I can summon a sword in the left hand slot just fine, but the right hand causes a CTD.

flippetized

I have the EXACT same problem.

I have another character though (old one), in a different save file, that can cast it perfectly fine on both hands. But the character i use cannot cast it on the right. I also found out (via console) that the bound bow and battleaxe only has 1 spell ID, but the bound sword has 3 spell ID's.

I have no idea what's causing it and would also like some help on this matter.

Edit: I can confirm this is a corrupt save file. I uninstalled all the mods and re-installed Skyrim. I played with no mods and still crashes. This is probably due to 1 or more mods that was installed that affects the bound sword spel or weap ID's, but I'm not sure............

DimosZargarda

Hey guys, I had this problem aswell and I found a way to fix it.

First of all I am using mods aswell, so some old mod must have caused this, in order to fix it you need to reinstall the game, now im sure most of you tryed that aswell but it didnt work, thats cause Steam does not delete Skyrim when you choose to uninstall it, it simply removes all the files so when you install the game again it just throws all the files you had before back in.

To successfully reinstall Skyrim you need to go into the Skyrim Folder (C/Programms/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim, now delete EVERYTHING you see in there so when done the Skyrim folder is empty, now go into My Games, Skyrim and delete everything there.

When done go to Steam, klick Skyrim and uninstall, then install it and it will all work fine.

Steve the Pyro

I am having this problem as well and it is very annoying considering I used to use these a lot and I am getting back into them. I too have no mods that would affect spells and can not summon them in either hand. I was wondering if the solution above would at all affect my save files.

Ok this sucks But found the issue, It the updates not the mods, Buried in the documentation of the beta there a warning that it Corrupts saves And INDEED can change Spell ID's my guess is all are recent saves are Corrupt ! How much you want to bet the last 2 updates ALL CHANGED Spell ID's of Bound Sword. As there are indeed 3 Spell ID's as flippetized found out (Nice catch wish you had been wrong). I wonder if there Changing Any other Spell ID's in the Vanilla Game? No idea if this Was Just Beta or Regular updates. But I am no longer using the beta options!
Unless there a save game repair you need to go to a save that you never learned Bound sword !! Maybe Wrye Bash ? http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1840 No idea..

Yes I want to cry! The solution offered by DimosZargarda workd ONLY BC HE DELETING THE SAVES Steve the Pyro.... :sadface:My Games, Skyrim and delete everything there. yep my 39 level Vampire Just Died the True Death of STEAM UPDATED TO DEATH...

If Anyone Comes up with a Fix for corrupt Saves please Post it!

PhantomLion

I have this problem as well. I stopped playing Skyrim for a while and then started playing it again, I noticed that I had to update it in order to play, as soon as I cast the bound sword however it crashes..I don't think it had anything to do with my mods since it worked fine when I had the mods installed, it's only after this update when I noticed it did not work

THEY STEAM DID IT AGAIN!!!! Dawnguard had a 200 meg update 2 days after the PC release, bloody idiots!!! Changed the spell ids!!! So if you learned with a new character in that time before the 200 meg patch Bound sword it got corrupted and crash to desktop when you cast Bound sword!!! you need to got to a save before that. old save are fine as are new. think when Steam first released it used (maybe the xbox spell ids Guessing ) then Changed them back.

STARTING TO LOATH STEAM!

lynix

Ok to put it simply everyone here is wrong, it has nothing to do with the spell IDs. Bound sword has 3 spells because it can be cast in both left and right hand. I used the creation kit to remove the spell from the game completely meaning any spell ID would have been reset if they were corrupt. and if the save was corrupt then removing the spell would have fixed it because it would have erased all data of the sword and spell from my save file.

Also taking into account that at least 2 people said it was caused by the right hand, mine however is caused by the left meaning it couldn't be the spell that's having the error but rather something internally. This is further backed up by the fact that I have designed a mod to create a new version of the spell and am having the same crashes with that.

Now how to fix the issue, you can't. I don't think it's a save file thing either.... It's just a bug that we need to wait for to be patched.

Also don't blame steam chances are you would have updated anyway, just because steam did it automatically for it doesn't make it steams fault.

arglargl

Here's what fixed the Bound Sword CTD for me:

Load my current Save
Made a note of all Active Effects (important!)
In console, targeted self then used command: Resurrect

After resurrect, all Active Effects are gone, however they can be restored from the console using:

Player.AddSpell <ID>

In my case I just had to restore the following:

Ancient Knowledge (0010EB60)
Force Without Effort (000E8281)
Resist Frost (Nord) (000AA020)
Agent of Mara (000CC79A)
Thief Stone (000E5F45)

More IDs can be found here:
http://www.skyrimsearch.com/magic.php

Then I un-equipped and re-equipped all my gear to regain their effects, and voila!
Bound Sword no longer causes CTD and I didn't have to revert to an old Save.

relentlessfiend

There is a problem with arglargl's fix. It also has a tendency to mess with your perks. Noticed that I lost the effect from perk "Extra Pockets" from the Pickpocket tree, probably lost some others too.

pinocchio6

Same problem. :sadface: I don't know which spell or which hand, but I was trying to cast bound sword and bound battle ax at the same time and yeah... ctd. Then I tried one of them, I think sword in right hand and yeah... ctd. This is my fourth or fifth ctd and after reading this thread I think I will just not use bound weapons.

Also, there's a bound bow?

DimosZargarda

Hey guys, there is a way to avoid this.

Firs off its beeing caused by a mod, mostly its armor/weapon/spell mod, its very easy to fix too, took me weeks but I found it.

This is what you need to do, when you decide to remove the mod that causes the Bound Sword CTD, make sure it is not equipped, u can have it in bag, np, just dont have it equipped, save game, remove the mod and your game wont crash anymore.

Ok to put it simply everyone here is wrong, it has nothing to do with the spell IDs. Bound sword has 3 spells because it can be cast in both left and right hand. I used the creation kit to remove the spell from the game completely meaning any spell ID would have been reset if they were corrupt. and if the save was corrupt then removing the spell would have fixed it because it would have erased all data of the sword and spell from my save file.

Also taking into account that at least 2 people said it was caused by the right hand, mine however is caused by the left meaning it couldn't be the spell that's having the error but rather something internally. This is further backed up by the fact that I have designed a mod to create a new version of the spell and am having the same crashes with that.

Now how to fix the issue, you can't. I don't think it's a save file thing either.... It's just a bug that we need to wait for to be patched.

Also don't blame steam chances are you would have updated anyway, just because steam did it automatically for it doesn't make it steams fault.

No the id's for both hands change with the after the patch. A reset like your talking about dose not work bc it stores info about ids in the save.Let me make this easy there 2 hands but 3 ids...think about it.. ok that means 1 to many in other words 2 spell IDs for right hand right . Steam sucks. Why bc you can disable betas but not updates.It might be Bethesda screw up but Steam forces update.

Here's what fixed the Bound Sword CTD for me:

Load my current Save
Made a note of all Active Effects (important!)
In console, targeted self then used command: Resurrect

After resurrect, all Active Effects are gone, however they can be restored from the console using:

Player.AddSpell <ID>

In my case I just had to restore the following:

Ancient Knowledge (0010EB60)
Force Without Effort (000E8281)
Resist Frost (Nord) (000AA020)
Agent of Mara (000CC79A)
Thief Stone (000E5F45)

More IDs can be found here:
http://www.skyrimsearch.com/magic.php

Then I un-equipped and re-equipped all my gear to regain their effects, and voila!
Bound Sword no longer causes CTD and I didn't have to revert to an old Save.

Now this is Brilliant and simple TY!!
Nice way to reset uncorrupt saves!!!
I can always add stuff back!

masterosok

Try this before bothering using the resurrect method....

First of all, you must empty your inventory to see if there's anything wrong with it. BTW, this is an optional step and you may skip it if you like. Anyway, store all the items in your inventory in the nearest container (can even be a corpse). If you have items that you can't store in a container (such as quest items), then drop them using the following console command (unfortunately, you need the ID of that item to do this)...
player.drop <ITEM_ID> <Count>
(Count : Number of items you want to drop) (Here's an example, to drop 1 Unusual Gem use, player.drop 9dfbb 1)
When you get rid of all the items in your inventory, you'll probably notice something strange, an invisible item in your inventory that weighs 1 (maybe more)!
Well, never mind that, whatever it is, we'll get rid of it. To do that use the following command...
player.resetinventory
Now you have a bunch of stuff in your inventory. The command above resets your inventory and gives you a set of starting equipment.
At this point, you may try using Bound Sword. Hopefully you won't get CTDs anymore.
Notice that you haven't lost any of the active effects!
So pick up the stuff you stored in the container and move on to a new adventure. Problem solved!

Credit goes to Kinlar from the Nexus forums

Worked perfectly for me...

rohan

First of all, you must empty your inventory to see if there's anything wrong with it. BTW, this is an optional step and you may skip it if you like. Anyway, store all the items in your inventory in the nearest container (can even be a corpse). If you have items that you can't store in a container (such as quest items), then drop them using the following console command (unfortunately, you need the ID of that item to do this)...
(Count : Number of items you want to drop) (Here's an example, to drop 1 Unusual Gem use, player.drop 9dfbb 1)
When you get rid of all the items in your inventory, you'll probably notice something strange, an invisible item in your inventory that weighs 1 (maybe more)!
Well, never mind that, whatever it is, we'll get rid of it. To do that use the following command...
player.resetinventory
Now you have a bunch of stuff in your inventory. The command above resets your inventory and gives you a set of starting equipment.
At this point, you may try using Bound Sword. Hopefully you won't get CTDs anymore.
So pick up the stuff you stored in the container and move on to a new adventure. Problem solved!

Works! and no risk of resting perks. ty

Bonk

player.resetinventory

Thank you so much. Your fix worked perfectly and it saved me a long reinstall. Love this game!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts