[Lore Help] Restoration, translation mechanism, and character.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

MISAKA111235

Okay, I had the briliant idea of using a Dragon Priest (Krosis, to be exact) as a main character in my new fanfic. Good thing is, I started. Bad thing is, I don't exactly want Krosis to be all shrivelled up for the rest of the story, and having a massive language barrier.

I was thinking a obscure Restoration ritual/spell for the "healing" (technically, still undead, but at least an improvement looks-wise?), or a Restoration/Soul Trap hybrid spell. And for language, perhaps a variant of the "knowledge-sharing" thingy that Paarthurnax/Greybeards can do? Would it work well?

Separately, who in the world (other than the Dovahkiin) can logically be wielding an ebony sword in broad daylight? As in, Draugrs are clearly not since they can't exactly walk about outdoors without attracting attention. I was entertaining using the Ebony warrior. Would Miraak have any living subordinates owning an ebony sword?

Finally, (sorry, just need someone to check my ideas before implementing...) would it be logical for a Dragon Priest to wield a bow? Albeit one firing/channeling spell-arrows? I was thinking, as a staff variant. And would it be too overpowered?

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Realistically, you'd only find wealthy or lucky adventurers wielding an Ebony Sword, for one.

I'm not huge on lore but here is a page on the Restoration school: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Restoration

You will also find the language tree: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ehlnofex_Languages

Draconic and Nedic were precursers to Nordic, which is a precursor to Tamrielic. One might assume there would be a language barrier.

However, during a certain quest in the College of Winterhold Questline, you meet a dragon priest. More specifically, once you enter his domain he starts speaking to you in Dragon language. However as you progress further and further, he finally says, "You do not answer... Must I speak in this guttural language of yours?" Which further raises the question: How? You can search for answers but I really can't provide much. I'm not a huge lore expert. But it either means language has not progressed in a huge way as far as Nordic is concerned, or Bethesda screwed up again on the lore. Or I missed something.

I would think a dragon priest would not wield anything non magic unless his magic is completely sapped. When you search them after defeating them you find nothing except their mask, their staff, and other things maybe. Along with the treasure you find with some of them in chests.

However, maybe they would use the bound bow spell. Or bound sword.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I've only seen one out of thousands of fics about a dragon priest (besides Miraak). I do wish you luck :)

I always thought the Dragon Priest in Labyrinthian could speak the player characters language due to a telepathic connection of sorts with them. So maybe you could have someone discover and awaken Krosis who knows the current language and is either willing to teach that language or is someone that can be telepathically linked to and learned from.
Perhaps this same person could perform the Restoration ritual. Maybe they have studied the Dragon Cult for years and finally thought to themselves the only way to learn more is to awaken a Dragon Priest. Things like that happen a lot, it seems, throughout Skyrim.
Miraak's subordinates used magic only so far as I know so I highly doubt they'd be wielding an ebony sword. The Ebony Warrior would though.
I don't think a Dragon Priest would be wielding a bow either - however maybe they know a spell that can let them shoot arrows out of their palms. Just cut out the bow entirely. :)
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I thought about your whole "shriveled up corpse" debacle for about two minutes. In my opinion, I think you should try to not make it a big issue in the story, or you are going to get stuck on that one issue and not be able to progress. How you would fix it is up to you.. just one thing came to me while reading the others replies..

Have a devout follower of the dragon priest resurrect him. Then Krosis turns on the hapless supplicant and drains the life from him, gaining all of his knowledge of the future world he has be brought back into, including language and such. He could also have his body rejuvenated from the exchange of life/essence...what have you. There, problem of language barrier and looks fixed in one move.

I'm not sure about the whole bow thing. Krosis is a Frost dragon priest but he also wields a staff of fireballs. So maybe he is a bit of an all-round type when it comes to weapons. I'm still not sure about a bow though. It's a two handed weapon and Dragon priests always had a staff in one hand, making the use of a bow impossible. The only way I could see him using a bow is if he lost his staff during battle and maybe used a bound bow, like the others said.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts