Your opinions on this sneaky conjurer build?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Metal-Maniac

I was out of town and really REALLY missed Skyrim... So I'm planning on my next build. This time I'll give it a shot on expert difficulty.
What do you people think of this build??
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

-Pure archer shooting bound bows, wearing NO armor whatsoever. (That's why I skipped smithing)
-A little illusion for crowd control.
Questions:
A) Should I spend perks/use summons? You know for those nowhere-to-run/hide moments? This build is not meant to be detected neither fight in melee.
B) Should I spend more points in sneak or abuse muffle and invisibility from illusion?
C) Is weapon poisoning worth the perks in the alchemy tree??

Necromis

Personally, I think you have spent too many points in archery. The critical damage is not worth it. Also I would forget alchemy for poisions and only use it for potions. It is too bad you are thinking of no armour, but at least with extra effect enchanting you can bet both mana regen boost and archery bonuses enchanted to your gear. If you run away you won't have to worry about having followers to be honest.

Metal-Maniac

I wasn't sure if you could enchant armor with [spellcasting skill] % less cost... I thought it was a clothes/robes thing. This character is actually intended to be a sneaky caster rather than a fighter. It just seemed a nice twist to use bows instead of destruction -Btw I always loved the arcane archer in DnD (Although these guys could shoot fireballs from their bows :p )

Oh one more thing: This type of build should be dead with one hit from a mudcrab, no matter how many HP (as is usually any kind of sneaking and/or caster type) Should I just skip life on levelup and go for magicka and stamina only??

Necromis

up to you. I would suggest stamina and magika for running away and the casting, but to be realistic I would still put some into health. Unless you are a strict-ist

Metal-Maniac

Eh... Strict-ism sucks ;) So how exactly would you make a character with a nice twist? Forget about mine for a sec...
Hmmm I should make a new thread about this... Classic builds with a twist :p

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Also i would advise not putting those extra 4 perks into sneak they generally don't help when you can just use muffle and invisibility it will save you 4 perks and also you can level past 50 and still keep getting perks up to 81

Metal-Maniac

I'll keep that in mind Zoa... Although in my last two play throughs I did most major quests, finished the main quest and was stilll level 30-something... That's why I wanna try Expert difficulty this time. But from what I read in forums, the only way to survive in expert and master is by sneaking around all the time or skillfuly using a shield -And I don't like shileds :/

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Thats why I said use invisibility and muffle... it makes you undetectable....

Metal-Maniac

Thanks I'll keep it in mind, especialy if it saves me perk points. Invisibility requires level 75 though... This amount of skill is gonna take a while... Don't I need at least *some* sneak skill until then??

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Well just go directly to the college and join them then just cast muffle until you have the desired level. This is how you powerlevel illusion

Metal-Maniac

Oooooh yeah, muffle raises illusion anytime you cast it right? It's not like conjuration where you have to use it around enemies... Niiiiiiiiice ;) I'm soooo gonna make a broken OP illusionist :D

EleanorUnicorn

I was out of town and really REALLY missed Skyrim... So I'm planning on my next build. This time I'll give it a shot on expert difficulty.
What do you people think of this build??
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

-Pure archer shooting bound bows, wearing NO armor whatsoever. (That's why I skipped smithing)
-A little illusion for crowd control.
Questions:
A) Should I spend perks/use summons? You know for those nowhere-to-run/hide moments? This build is not meant to be detected neither fight in melee.
B) Should I spend more points in sneak or abuse muffle and invisibility from illusion?
C) Is weapon poisoning worth the perks in the alchemy tree??

Hey :) I play as a mage and wear no armor at all, has never been a problem for me as I'm usually fighting from a distance and can use spells like stoneflesh (alteration) to protect myself. I would definetly recommend conjuration, having a flame or frost atronach has saved me on various occasions, flame atronachs are great against dragons.. I would spend your points on sneak, and then start using illusion later on in the game when your character has matured a bit, invisibility and muffle are amazing! Quiet casting is also a must have for remaining undetected! To be honest, I am good at alchemy but never use poisons, I just sell them. Maybe as an archer it would be worth it, alchemy also fits in with the whole 'hunter gatherer' type. And if you're gonna be playing on expert, I would advise levelling up your health! I have kept my stamina at 140, my magicka is 450, and my health is around 300, which works well for me. Enjoy :)

EleanorUnicorn

Oh, and if you continuosly use muffle, it gets your Illusion up to like 100 without really trying! Also, detect life is really useful, if you cast it in any busy place (eg. the middle of whiterun, the market at windhelm) it will level up your alteration pretty quickly :D I used to play as an archer in Oblivion, and for my first Skyrim character, but now I love playing as a mage :cool:

Metal-Maniac

I guess you don't have to sprint away from danger once you get invisibility. I just thought of stamina for the slow time bow zooming thing which I think is soooo sweet!

But seriously 450 magicka?? Isn't that a little too much?? From what I hear, a high enough enchanting skill can make your spells cost almost nothing. Is it really worth it spending so many points there?

Necromis

I have done the conjuration sneak before. I did it straight no weapons, just DB armour, and only the mystic bow. With no other weaponskills, and only the conjuration and illusion schools of magic. It made it fun, a little difficult early on, and awesomely powerful in the end. I didn't power level Illusion, but I did a little power leveling of conjuration, just to get the Mystic Binding perk. The hard part, to start, with conjured bow is having to cast it prior to being in combat and worrying about it ending before you have sneak killed your foe. However, once you get your illusion up to quiet casting perk, it is a very nice thing to walk around with nothing in your hands, then summon your bow and take out that foe from the shadows. My suggestion would be to not power level, if you do you might as well not and stay on the lower level difficulty. You are going up level for a challenge, if you want a challenge why power level?

Metal-Maniac

Good point necromis although I'll still use training if I have the cash (which I will after the dark brotherhood quest)

Necromis

Well training is supposed to be used. and it is your game, so power leveling is your right. Just IMO not worth it if you are going for a challenge. FYI, Fort Amol has the bound bow tome, and you can do the DB questline ASAP, and if you don't wanna wear light armour they also have the mage robes on the shelves in the room you talk to Astrid in when you first arrive.

mcfrg

You're adding no cost reduction to Illusion, so I guess you're going to enchant cost reduction instead, correct?

An alternative to your Illusion perk distribution would be to get Dual Casting and some cost reduction instead of grabbing Hypnotic Gaze, Aspect of Terror and Rage perk. That'll make life easier in the beginning and give you some room to miss for when you cast a spell with one hand, and you still can cast spells for double effect with Dual Casting.

Like others have mentioned, it would probably be a good idea to reduce the number of perks in Archery.

I don't know about Alchemy but it seems like fun and appropriate to add some poison damage. Relying on only damaging health is not the only way to kill enemies.

If you play on master difficulty, enemies do double damage, and in that case, relying on simply sneak can be dangerous, so it could be a good idea to add some perks into Light armor.

This is what I was thinking of: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts