• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SherlockJones

I'm where you least expect me, THERE! no not there
The guilds in oblivion for me made the game, the main quest was ok, but I had miles more fun with the side quests.

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
- The guilds. Particularly the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood.

- The level of depth in the enchanting and spell-crafting system.

- Deepscorne Hollow and Frostcrag Spire...Fit very well with characters that followed their aesthetic.

- Imaginative quests, like the Painted Troll quest, the Heist quest at the end of the Thieves Guild etc

- Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles.

- The ambient music is absolutely mesmerising. The music in Skyrim is great as well, but till this day I sometimes just put on Oblivion ambient music when I want to relax and unwind.

- Umbra: Back when I started first started playing the game I stumbled into Vindasel at level 7 and saw her just standing there muttering about souls and such. I was like, her armour looks cool, I'll kill her and take it! Boy, was I ever wrong. She killed me in one swipe of her sword. I thought no way am I taking that! Reloaded and went at her again. Same result. After that I found a perch above her she couldn't reach and proceeded to empty about a 100 arrows into her, none of which did anything you could even call damage. Seeing the hopelessness of it all I ran out, with Umbra in hot pursuit. I made it out of Vindasel, and stopped out by the waterfront to check my inventory. Why is the battle music still going? I asked myself. Upon exiting the menu I was greeted with a swift end by her blade yet again. The enemies could follow you between cells... Go figure. This whole exchange motivated me level up to a point where I could end her, and was the driving force behind the next 60 or so hours of play.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
My view on Oblivion I think is expressed and shared by some.

I think Oblivion had what Skyrim lacks. Not because I'm biased to Olbiiovn, but because they different.

Oblivion had that hypnotic sense of mysticism, that dark shadow that was watching you, that sense of a place that had traces of long and old history indented in the mists of time that engulfs it causing one to be enthralled in a position of dysplasia. And this of course was so cleverly elaborated and crafted in the art of the game it is truly spectacular.

The quests including the side quests were more appealing than in Skyrim. I think the flavour of Skyrim's Nordic influence doesn't really appeal to me as much as a central European influence which is reminiscent of a early Medieval France, Germany and lower Italy. A Medieval world that was in a solar system of beauty and wonder. One can truly gaze at a blissful world in Oblivion that carries with it a dark and gloomy aura of fear that was precipitous that you were on edge to the mystery it concealed. And as you probe deeper in Cyrodiil that impervious mystery prevented you from anticipating the nature that surrounded you.

The guilds were nicer. The mages guild represented of what you would expect with a mage oligarchy with delicate protocols over the pupils and the arcane it represented. The quests were occultic and were concealed in mystery, that I liked.

The Dark Brotherhood were well represented in Oblivion. I found it much nicer than Skyrim. And seemed to have that element of maliciousness that pretermits and doesn't quench that longing for I have in Skyrim.

But one needs to understand that each title is different and because we see that high level of diversity, it makes The Elder Scrolls epic both in literature, art, and a game.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I enjoyed storming into the depths of Oblivion, slashing and hacking at Dremora then taking out their heart and eating it as a warning to the rest of them. It seemed to work as one Dremora was running away from me, I chased him down and so he met a swift but painful end.

That and Oblivion guards were strict about their duty, not like Skyrim guards who only do law in their hold. I don't know how, but when I was killing inside Oblivion, I was stopped suddenly by "Stop right there criminal scum" Bastard tracked me down into Oblivion to arrest me.

Talk about commitment.

Zaan

Dunmer Enthusiast
The Double click Scroll, click item dupe.
Ah yes... How could I forget that? On my archer characters this was a lifesaver to have as many Arrows of Storms and Immolation as I wanted.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
If Oblivion had more content, in the way Skyrim has infinite quests, it would of increased the longevity of my experience in Oblivion, and lest I say that I would still be playing it today.

It's when after I finished the game both DLCs and The Shivering Isles expansion, it caused an instant death on completion. It's when you complete the game that sense of mystery becomes a knowing and it falls at the seams all at once. It's an instant death. The thing that kept you playing was the quest and curiosity of the world and as this gradually trickles away the experience gets thrown in Oblivion itself and sorrow and despair sets in and that dark longing hits you hard like a war hammer.

Oblivion wasn't that burning pit of draconian magma, that hell that resides under Nirn or an evil to fight and destroy, it was that purgatory and death at the end of it's completion. The content and quests are the catalyst of mystery and that's what keeps burning the enthusiasm that drive and curiosity of one to remain in the game and when this ceases and the content runs dry in those times the experience fades, withers and dies getting choked off all enthusiasm and devoid of curiousness you mourn in the twilight of that dreaded moment because you know the end is near and gradually you sink into to a pit of scorching embers. The longing thereafter engulfs the mind and your sanity falls in that precipitous oblivion of depression, you start to ask yourself, why did I rush?

And in these times of decay, regret and despair, we hold in our hearts those memories of the good times and the bad. We remember the nature, the feeling of Cyrodiil's magical wind that we used to feel on shadowmere on our next assigned contract. That first time you made into the mage's guild, the first time you died, the first time you killed. For that time we thwarted Mehrunes Dagon and stood at Martin's side through the war. They are the memories indented in us that reminds and aids us once more in our quest for that serenity as The Elder Scrolls titles come and go. They there to give us that pillar once more of that vibrant enthusiasm as indeed it resurrects. We the veterans in Skyrim now, the sons of Akatosh. And as time goes by we still feel the scars and blisters from that draconian magma that has pitted us in this anguish of despair. For as much as it hurts it portrays the magic of Oblivion was great and strong beyond all measure that it had that capacity to keep us concealed in it's mystique flower of mystery that kept us contained and busy through our days. It was that never ending story, although then it seemed. Eventually the story ended and we were reminded that Cyrodiliic heaven was short lived. Now as we fight through Skyrim our memories of those times keeps us going. It galvanizes our zeal for it was an experience we all learnt.

Mannulus

Article Writer
If Oblivion had more content, in the way Skyrim has infinite quests, it would of increased the longevity of my experience in Oblivion, and lest I say that I would still be playing it today.

It's when after I finished the game both DLCs and The Shivering Isles expansion, it caused an instant death on completion. It's when you complete the game that sense of mystery becomes a knowing and it falls at the seams all at once. It's an instant death. The thing that kept you playing was the quest and curiosity of the world and as this gradually trickles away the experience gets thrown in Oblivion itself and sorrow and despair sets in and that dark longing hits you hard like a war hammer.

Oblivion wasn't that burning pit of draconian magma, that hell that resides under Nirn or an evil to fight and destroy, it was that purgatory and death at the end of it's completion. The content and quests are the catalyst of mystery and that's what keeps burning the enthusiasm that drive and curiosity of one to remain in the game and when this ceases and the content runs dry in those times the experience fades, withers and dies getting choked off all enthusiasm and devoid of curiousness you mourn in the twilight of that dreaded moment because you know the end is near and gradually you sink into to a pit of scorching embers. The longing thereafter engulfs the mind and your sanity falls in that precipitous oblivion of depression, you start to ask yourself, why did I rush?

And in these times of decay, regret and despair, we hold in our hearts those memories of the good times and the bad. We remember the nature, the feeling of Cyrodiil's magical wind that we used to feel on shadowmere on our next assigned contract. That first time you made into the mage's guild, the first time you died, the first time you killed. For that time we thwarted Mehrunes Dagon and stood at Martin's side through the war. They are the memories indented in us that reminds and aids us once more in our quest for that serenity as The Elder Scrolls titles come and go. They there to give us that pillar once more of that vibrant enthusiasm as indeed it resurrects. We the veterans in Skyrim now, the sons of Akatosh. And as time goes by we still feel the scars and blisters from that draconian magma that has pitted us in this anguish of despair. For as much as it hurts it portrays the magic of Oblivion was great and strong beyond all measure that it had that capacity to keep us concealed in it's mystique flower of mystery that kept us contained and busy through our days. It was that never ending story, although then it seemed. Eventually the story ended and we were reminded that Cyrodiliic heaven was short lived. Now as we fight through Skyrim our memories of those times keeps us going. It galvanizes our zeal for it was an experience we all learnt.

Wow, that message is deep. Lol.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Wow, that message is deep. Lol.

It is.

I think it carries with it a grim reminder. It's a dark prologue as well as a summery of instant death. It's when you are forced to accept that... That a world that so beautifully fabricated the image of Cyrodiil, the life force in the pulse makeup of quests and the element of mystery as it's blood, had a limited life span that it would suddenly perish, you are drawn in a dark vortex getting propelled at a plate of spikes. And you have to face that. It has that dark limitation of depletion an essence that once breathed in, that noxious dracoid attacks the brain causing instant death.

The process of this fleeting life, is easily accepted in other games, because they don't hold that magic. They don't have that capacity to enthrall one in that cyclic motion. So when you finish them, it's just so what... You didn't feel or in fact were captivated by it's magic, you weren't seduced by it's dark mysteriousness, so therefor the impact of completion isn't so great.

At the end of it all, it really depends on the potency. How potent a game is determines that underlying ditch of decay at the end of it. And what impact of it's death has on you. It's that time we dread.

higgi07

Favourite thing? Has to be the actual atmosphere of the game. That Wow moment when you break out the sewers. Beautifull game world. Also the loading screen Info and pictures were awesome and the random things like Fin Gleam and the giant Mud crab in Mankor Camerons paradise. Also a wierd mini diary quest about a ring lost up in the mountains between Cyradill and Skyrim.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I haven't been playing Oblivion for terribly long yet, but there are a lot of little things that have really impressed me.

I love how NPCs change out of their armor and into more comfortable clothes when they go to sleep.

Why-do-guards-sleep-in-full-armor.jpeg

Because that looks like just about the comfiest thing I've ever seen.

Also, when Jauffre, Martin and I were leaving Weynon Priory to go to Cloud Ruler Temple, I started running ahead, before I turned around and realized that the two of them were far behind me. I was a tad annoyed and muttering "C'mon guys, keep up!" aloud. But then I saw what the two of them were doing. They were mounting the horses in the stable, opting to use them to speed the journey rather than leave them behind. It amazed me how smart the AI was in that instance. That's one little thing a Skyrim NPC would never think of.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The NPC that questions you on the punishment of Necrophilia.

"By the way... do you happen to know what the fine is here in Cyrodiil for necrophilia? Just asking"
Is this the first offense?
"Let's assume 'no'."

Neriad13

Premium Member
The NPC that questions you on the punishment of Necrophilia.

"By the way... do you happen to know what the fine is here in Cyrodiil for necrophilia? Just asking"
Is this the first offense?
"Let's assume 'no'."

Furthermore, how is it that your character knows the amount of the fine for necrohilia? >.<

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts