WORST place to encounter a Deadly Dragon

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.
Winterhold? Usually snowing, almost no cover and the beast will likely ground either behind the inn where it has lots of cover from arrows (and lots of terrain obstacles for you to get hung up on) or atop the arch-mage quarters where you must face it mouth-on.

The 7,000 Steps? (for obvious reasons)

Markarth? Lots of ledges to fall from -- either into the water or SPLAT!

Your thoughts?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Not sure why this is in "Mods" sub-forum....

But I actually LIKE encounters in Winterhold, it's nice to see the collective College Mages in combat.

I don't like when Dragon's attack cities where blacksmiths are just itching to fight. They always tend to die and I'm forced to reload.

theoduck

Not sure why this is in "Mods" sub-forum....

But I actually LIKE encounters in Winterhold, it's nice to see the collective College Mages in combat.

I don't like when Dragon's attack cities where blacksmiths are just itching to fight. They always tend to die and I'm forced to reload.

It's in the mods forum because I am talking about the Deadly Dragons mod. I am level 65 and on Master difficulty and dealing with things like Magma Dragons, Volcanic Dragons, Arctic Dragons, Nether Dragons and of course Spectral Dragons. All of these (and even Blood Dragons) can still one-hit kill me if I am caught by surprise or without some sort of resistance on hand.

In the case of Spectral and Nether Dragons, there are no resistances to "have on hand" except maybe magic resistance, but I can't craft a resist magic potion that will be strong enough anyway.

theoduck

Deadly Dragons are never leveled. Always super-badass even if you are level 5, which I was when I completed Dragon Rising. You can configure the approximate frequency of random encounters either via console or a nifty shrine on the balcony of Dragonsreach. Dragon armor and damage are also configurable, as is NPC armor/damage, so you can effectively turn Master difficulty into something like "Nightmare" difficulty was in Dragon Age: Origins.

I also have Deadly Dragons Armory mod installed, so dragons drop less cash and more interesting loot (boss-level alchemy ingredients, armor, weapons, etc...).

Deadly Dragons Spells mod looks like a game-wrecker to me, so I skipped that one -- but I might be wrong.

Magma Dragons stagger you when they fly close and bomb you with meteors.

Volcanic Dragons summon random columns of fire out of the ground to fry you out of your good-cover shooting spot.

Forest Dragons spit poison globules.

Nether Dragons turn invisible, conjure buddies and hit you with a long-range non-elemental breath weapon.

Spectral Dragons have nether dragon abilities and can send their Tattered Soul after you.

Darkwing Dragons require timing; if you hit them at the wrong time, you take full breath damage even if you are a mile away.

Arctic Dragons stick a big orb up in the sky that fires ice spikes at everyone.

Storm Dragons do the Storm Call shout in addition to their shock breath.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Dawnstar.

The only two places the blasted n'wah will land is on either end of a loooong stretch, making me chase it all over the place to score any hits.

Thank Talos for Dragonrend.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
A plain without Dragonrend.

theoduck

A plain without Dragonrend.
I finally got dragonrend at level 73. I held off because I was trying to figure out if there was a way to end the Civil War by taking an "anti-Thalmor-only" position. The Imperials are misguided and lazy and the Nords are racist and did to the Forsworn the very thing that they are bitching about having been done to them.

Open plains and the hot springs near Bonestrewn Crest were actually my favorite spots to fight Deadly Dragons (except for Storm Dragons); my character has a lot of stamina and uses it to sprint all over the place during those fights.

The DD greeting I received immediately upon entering Blackreach made me actually want dragonrend; a Volcanic Dragon/Dracolich tag-team.

theoduck

OK. I got a new one: Hag's End.

I had been there already, but I had to go back to "find the assassin of old." I decided to go alone because I'm getting ready to do the endgame -- got a Dragon chillin' in the stocks on the Dragonsreach porch. I had already sent Brelyna back to the College and I cut Jenassa loose as well... tried to anyway. For such a tough-ass broad she sure gives a heart-rending farewell speech. She didn't go back to the Drunken Huntsman. Derkeethus and I found her on the road between Solitude and Dragon Bridge offering to join up again for nothing. Left her there, got the dude's travel itinerary, went back to Solitude (she was still waiting on the road), left D at the house, did the hit by casting Mayhem on Captain Aldis while invisible. Reported back to Astrid & Co. and got to meet Shadowmere, who is adorable. I have avoided horses because you can't do anything while riding one.

Don't worry, I'm getting to the Deadly Dragon part...

I headed to Whiterun on the horse to go get my future read, then decided to follow that quest before dealing with Cicero. I knew Hag's End to be no place to take a horse, so I headed back to Solitude to leave him at the stables -- and Jenassa was STILL waiting there (I had cut her loose back at Proudspire). I started thinking about that speech she gives about loneliness, put it together with our first meeting when she was drinking all alone at the Huntsman and her offer to rejoin free of charge... I actually began to get sad over a character in a friggin' video game. HELP ME!

So anyway I'm back at Proudspire with Jenassa and D and I make the decision to go to Hag's End alone. Hag's end itself was no problem, but when I stepped outside expecting to fast-travel from the balcony... BOOOM!

A Bone Dragon and an Aspect of Alduin... and NO COVER WHATSOEVER!

No choice but to go back inside and come back out where I had entered. Maybe they would be gone...

Nope. They were still there breathing all sorts of damage at once, dropping bombs out of the sky, summoning undead and quickly snacking on all the Forsworn I was expecting help from. Good thing those Forsworn tents are built so solid. I sat there for a while working on my conjuration and heavy armor skills wondering how I was going to get out of here. There was really no place to get a shot without exposing myself to insta-kill attacks.

Finally I drank up my one remaining super resist fire/frost/shock potion and made a break for the most likely exit to Deepwood Redoubt. The terrain of Hag's End is totally unsuitable for fighting one dragon, never mind two -- all sorts of little knickknacks to trip over and fall off of when you are trying to make a mad dash for the exit. I ended up falling in the water, climbing out, and sprinting up this hill to the door of Deepwood.

The Forsworn inside were no match for my health/stamina absorbing Khajiit saber (Jswords mod) and I made haste to the bottom and emerged to find myself finally at ground level, but in no less trouble. This time, however Dragonrend managed to keep the Bone Dragon down for good because the remaining Forsworn must have hit it enough times. I made a break for open ground because I remembered fighting an epic Warzones battle here earlier and hoped to find some helpful Stormcloaks.

No helpful Stormcloaks around, but I did find a deluxe model Forsworn tent with a nice view of the Bone Dragon. It was very satisfying to get off three consecutive Daedric Arrows without being staggered or bombed, but uh-oh... the grounded Bone Dragon summoned up another batch of elite skeletons. I countered with a summoned Dremora Lord and finished the Bone Dragon off with three more arrows.

I was so happy just to be able to aim without getting staggered that I had forgotten to ask myself what the Aspect of Alduin could be doing. It didn't take long to get an answer; I popped out of the tent and there it was, attacking something else I couldn't see. Aspects of Alduin seem to have a higher resistance to Dragonrend than other dragons, but it touched down long enough for me to run towards what it was attacking...

...which turned out to be a group of Thalmor having a terrible argument with Shadowmere.

The last time I had seen Shadowmere was when I left him at the Solitude Stables to take poor Jenassa back to the house. His arrival on a battlefield leagues away resembled those old war movies where the cavalry comes riding in at the end. I got to say hi as we dodged meteors and squashed Thalmor, then Shadowmere bought me enough time to cast Dragonhide by getting right up in the dragon's face. With the 60 seconds of almost-invincibility Dragonhide offered, I was able to finish off the Aspect of Alduin, mount Shadowmere and absorb the Bone Dragon Soul as we trotted by.

2+ hours real time, 1 battle over 3 areas and easily 100+ corpses. EPIC!

Speaking of Shadowmere, we did it again on the way to Dawnstar right after the encounter described above, but this time it was a much shorter fight. Dawnstar is not a good place for the scaly folk to tangle with me at this stage; I know every inch of terrain there...
MH0006_shadowmere-best-dragon-fighting-buddy-ever.jpg

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts