Xbox 360 Wise words for an older newbie

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hello! I am a complete newbie to Skyrim, open world games and basically everything here.

After the apprentice at work lent me his 360 I decided to look for an old second hand game and came across Skyrim in the bargain bin. I had never heard of it but was drawn to the cool dragon cover and $20 was cheap enough.

Wow. Just WOW!
Imagine my intense pleasure as I slowly started to immerse myself in this amazing game!

I've only spent a few hours and am only at level 12 but I can say I'm totally hooked!

Anyway, my question is;
What are some things you would have done better or differently from the start? Not just tips on advancing but also maybe ways of doing things to make the story even better.
Sorry for rambling and feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.

xsneakyxsimx

Don't worry about what's 'right or wrong', just have fun with your playthroughs. The beauty of Skyrim is that any character can be used, and you don't have to worry about anything like that. So... just have fun and play the game how you want to.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think for most of us, the best part of playing Skyrim is the mental roleplaying we do along the way. We either make the character some ideal, best-in-Tamriel version of ourselves (which is a good place to start with a first character), or we devise really complex characters with intricate backstories and goals.

The first time through, the closer you can play a mentality like your own, the more meaning you'll pull out of the story. I also recommend reading every book you find.

As a word of warning, because we've all experienced it; you will end up with quest items in your inventory for life. Skyrim has always been plagued with bugs. Some of them are as simple (and annoying) as picking up an item before the quest has been assigned, and others are a little more participatory, such as killing the person you need to make a delivery to before you made the delivery. Luckily, quest items have no weight in your inventory, so they don't count toward your carry capacity (the full amount you can carry before you walk ridiculously slowly, and can no longer fast travel).

You definitely found the right community, though. We absolutely favor character playing, and exploring different build types (build type being when you place restrictions on yourself, such as what you can pick up, the kind of armor you wear, the fight style you employ, and places you can and can't go to achieve an overall effect, such as "Robin Hood", or "William Wallace in Skyrim") over power gaming and level grinding.

Though, if you do want to level relatively quickly, it's not too difficult. If you pick up alchemy pick every flower and bug you see, and use a potion guide like this one, where you type in the ingredients you have in your inventory at the time and it tells you the most expensive potions you can make with the ingredients you have. Rather, all the potions you can make, listed in order of monetary value. It definitely strips away some of the immersion (or a lot of the immersion), but many people get tired of having to rebuild their potion recipe library for each new character, because (rather understandably) you start every character knowing no recipes at all. Or even ingredient properties and interactions. So it ends up being a trial and error thing, which does make sense from a mechanics and role playing stand point, but is, again, frustrating from a multiple character stand point. (Though I doubt you're near a multi-character point in your budding obsession with our favorite time sink.)

In short, with all things in Skyrim, value = experience. The more damage you cause with a Destruction spell equals more experience earned. The more HP you heal with a Restoration spell, the more money a potion, piece of jewelry, or suit of armor is worth, the more experience you gain for making it, and selling it.

But, in terms of personal value, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. So don't hesitate to really let yourself go and become your character.

Hell, write about the adventures you have. Tons of people have been inspired to write fiction based on their characters and adventures. You're welcome to share such things with us here. Just make sure to keep first person journal entries that follow the linear story of the game to your blog (helpfully provided by the forum here), and anything that doesn't necessarily follow the literal events of the game (but which may still incorporate the narrative) can live in the fan fiction section.

Unnecessary announcement: I have hiccups that won't go away.

So, I'm going to go drown myself to deal with this. You enjoy your Skyrim, new friend.

P.S. You're only two years older than me, and legitimately far from the oldest person on the forum. So, "older newbie" doesn't really apply. :p

I would try to avoid using this and other sites for answers to al, sorts of problems. Yes, it can be frustrating to stand in front of that door and have no idea about how to open it, but in the long run it is far more satisfying to solve things for yourself than to have someone else just give you the answer.

Thanks for the replies guys. The "older newbie" part was more in reference to the fact that I have done very little gaming. I've had a few consoles since the snes lol but I've never spent much time gaming. I'd never picked up anything newer than a wii until Skyrim so it's all amazing to me haha.

They are some good points about making your character a "better version" of yourself and building up a moral story. That is exactly how I've been playing. I make decisions as if I truly was there. I have started on the path of Honour and valour and will try to do great deeds like the hero's of the fantasy novels I read.
I haven't even kicked a chicken haha.
I've been picking flowers too, under the instructions of my girlfriend lol and yes I like to sit under the tree in dragons reach and read the books I've collected before storing them in my house.
The magic side doesn't really take my interest yet and it does seem confusing to me so far. I think it will be a long time before I begin a second character but he'll probably be more of a mage.

Can't wait to finish work today so I can head off to Skyrim again!

>>>tappin from tassie

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The magic side doesn't really take my interest yet and it does seem confusing to me so far. I think it will be a long time before I begin a second character but he'll probably be more of a mage.

When you knock a dragon out of the sky with a stream of lightning from your hands and it crash lands tearing up the earth, stopping at your feet to disintegrates into a pile of ash.

You'll understand why you'll never go back from being a Mage.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Thanks for the replies guys. The "older newbie" part was more in reference to the fact that I have done very little gaming. I've had a few consoles since the snes lol but I've never spent much time gaming. I'd never picked up anything newer than a wii until Skyrim so it's all amazing to me haha.

They are some good points about making your character a "better version" of yourself and building up a moral story. That is exactly how I've been playing. I make decisions as if I truly was there. I have started on the path of Honour and valour and will try to do great deeds like the hero's of the fantasy novels I read.
I haven't even kicked a chicken haha.
I've been picking flowers too, under the instructions of my girlfriend lol and yes I like to sit under the tree in dragons reach and read the books I've collected before storing them in my house.

Can't wait to finish work today so I can head off to Skyrim again!

>>>tappin from tassie
Snes... Those were the days. :beermug:

When you knock a dragon out of the sky with a stream of lightning from your hands and it crash lands tearing up the earth, stopping at your feet to disintegrates into a pile of ash.

You'll understand why you'll never go back from being a Mage.
Well you've got my attention now! Haha, sweet.

>>>tappin from tassie

Also, on a side note, I don't have the option to like posts here. Is it to do with forum permissions or something to do with me using Tapatalk?
I am a long time member on another forum and can like posts there.

>>>tappin from tassie

Well I'm still hooked. Wow, this game just keeps getting better. Im at level 22 now, just plodding along checking out the fantastic scenery and having a ball.
I'm wondering if someone could give me a tip though:
I find it a time consuming trying to find things in my chest. The items look like they're in some sort of order but I can't figure it out?
Does anyone have any tips for storing items?

>>>tappin from tassie

One thing I would recommend; try to avoid using the forum, and other sites, to routinely solve problems for you. In the long run, I got the most enjoyment from situations where I beat my head against a wall (figuratively) and finally figured out the solution by myself.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think asking for a tip on storing items is a real game changer.
With a game this large and the small amount of time I play it I'm never going to do multiple play throughs so a couple of tips along the way won't take away from my experience

>>>tappin from tassie

ch8878

I like to split everything up into various chests, dressers, bookcases, end tables, etc inside breezehome. Let one chest be for unenchanted weapons, one be for unenchanted armor, etc.. Less searching if you split it up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mwhals

I like to split everything up into various chests, dressers, bookcases, end tables, etc inside breezehome. Let one chest be for unenchanted weapons, one be for unenchanted armor, etc.. Less searching if you split it up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
This is what I do too. Armor in one location. Weapons in another location. Dragon priest masks in yet another location. Smithing and Alchemy boosting clothing go elsewhere too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You seem to be loving it immensely right now.

I'd say that means you're doing things right already.

Don't worry about a right way and a wrong way to play Skyrim because those things don't exist (although you'll find a lot of people who are adamant that their way is best!).

You'll probably find things you'd like to have done differently after your first run through but those things just give you ideas for your next go!

Add mods into the equation and the possibilities are endless.

It's good to hear from a new enthusiast: enjoy!

P.S. I'm not so much a newbie but at 50 I certainly fit the 'older' category. I suppose that makes me an older oldie. (is oldie even a word?)

Yeah there's only one thing I think I'd do differently but I don't know how it would change the rest of the game so I'm happy to live with it.
I really look forward to simply walking around an area and discovering.
Thanks for the storage tips too. [emoji4]

>>>tappin from tassie

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts