• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I rather like the scene. Ralof's reaction would be similar to Sjadbek's ("I NEED MEAD"), except Sjadbek knows self-healing both in-game and in-story.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
So! Three things:

1. I've changed the title of the story to Wind Guide You. Which you probably already noticed.

2. Chapter one has been revised with mostly minor changes; I wanted to condense a lot of the dialogue and action that happens in-game while still keeping the Helgen scenes as close as possible to canon. I hope I succeeded! If you don't want to read the entire chapter again (though I feel that it is worth doing), you should at least read the portion I have conveniently included below, as it gives backstory for a subplot that begins in chapter two. Here it is:

"Finish eating before you run off to Whiterun," Gerdur insisted with a chuckle, "and take an apple or two for the road, as well."

"Thank you, sister."

"I've got to get back to the mill before I'm missed. Make sure you say goodbye before you leave, you hear me?"

Once Gerdur was gone, Annika popped another wedge of cheese into her mouth, watching Ralof with a bemused smile. She wanted to ask about Ysolda, but his face still burned and he seemed to be avoiding her eyes. He began to ramble about Riverwood and the peaceful life he'd lived there, working the mill with his sister and her husband, before the war started ripping families apart.

A face drifted up out of her memory, a firm voice charging Ralof, of Riverwood to step forward. "That legionnaire, in Helgen, who called you a traitor. Did you know him?"

Ralof smiled, but it was full of sorrow. "He's my best friend."

Annika suddenly wished she had asked about Ysolda after all. "He sure didn't sound like a best friend," she replied, keeping her words as gentle as possible.

"We haven't exactly seen eye to eye since the war began. Hadvar joined the Legion as soon as he came of age; it's something of a tradition in his family."

"His father is a legionnaire as well?"

"He was." Ralof picked at the last of his bread, all trace of cheer gone from his face. "Henrik was killed when the Empire first attempted to take Fort Greenwall, in the Rift. All Hadvar could see was his father's blood on Stormcloak hands, but I saw more. Henrik died defending the Empire and their ban on a god he once prayed to! He died protecting the Thalmor's right to execute his own son should they discover that he still secretly worshipped Talos! And how many other Nords had already died for the same reasons? How many would continue to die for an Empire that had betrayed them? The injustice of it all infuriated me," he growled, shaking with the very anger he spoke of. "That's why I decided to join the rebellion. And that's why Hadvar called me a traitor—I'm in league with the people who killed his father."

Annika stared down into her flagon, speechless. It was one thing to be told of the war by those who weren't affected by it, but another thing entirely to speak to someone in the thick of it, to hear the pain in his voice and see the misery in his eyes. It made it all that much more real.

3. Two scenes (well, more like a scene and a half) have been added to chapter two! I wanted to wait until I had completed the chapter before putting anything new up, but I was impatient. The final two scenes of the chapter will hopefully be up within the next week!

4. Yeah, I lied, there are four things. I want you all to know how much I appreciate that you are still interested in this story despite it having kind of died for awhile! Thank you for your patience and support. I would offer you cookies, but they would probably be stale by the time they got to your house.

Kynareth

I have just read the chapters you have so far and I have to say, it's brilliant! Your writing is very well done!

I can't wait to see more of the developing relationship between Annika and Ulfric, as well as the part Hadvar will play in the story, in the upcoming chapters. I also like how you are entwining the main story with the civil war questline.

I do hope there will be more updates soon :)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I have just read the chapters you have so far and I have to say, it's brilliant! Your writing is very well done!
Aww, thank you so very much! <3

I also like how you are entwining the main story with the civil war questline.
I always thought it was a little odd that they weren't more entwined, at least on the Stormcloak side, with Ulfric's past and ties to the Greybeards. Playing through both questlines, I really did see this circle of fate between him and the Dragonborn, both being, essentially, mentioned in the prophecy (not only in the Song of the Dragonborn but on Alduin's Wall as well) and both being at Helgen when Alduin attacked. So I'm enjoying trying to weave it all into my story!

Neriad13

Premium Member
At long last, I finally caught up! Chapter Two was beyond excellent. :D All the back-stories coming together, the clash of motivations and characters...epic. I especially loved Ulfric's and Ralof's characterizations. Balgruuf was also quite different and interesting compared to all the ways I've pictured him myself and seen him elsewhere. And it'd be so awesome if the Greybeards yelled at you for taking too long ingame. They may be serene monks, but their patience only lasts so long.

And, I also must note that when I saw "Liam Neeson as Balgruuf," building materials were defecated. I'd never have thought of that in a million years, after having seen him only in 'Taken' and a few other action movies. But somehow, he does fit. o_O

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Chapter Two was beyond excellent. :D All the back-stories coming together, the clash of motivations and characters...epic.
Epic? :eek: Wow, thank you! That compliment is pretty epic.

Balgruuf was also quite different and interesting compared to all the ways I've pictured him myself and seen him elsewhere.
I've always had something of a love/hate relationship with Balgruuf. On one hand, I like his stance on the war and how the only side he's on, at first, is Whiterun's. But on the other hand, his attitude towards the Dragonborn has always seemed a bit insidious to me. As soon as he finds out you're the Dragonborn, he throws a title at you regardless of who you are or how long you've been in Whiterun. None of the other Jarls seem to care that you're Dragonborn, and will only bestow a title on you after you've proven your worth to their hold, but with Balgruuf, you don't necessarily have to do anything for Whiterun; you can hide out in the western watchtower and wait for Irileth and the guards to take care of Mirmulnir (I have in fact done this), and you'll still be rewarded above, as far as we know, anyone else who was involved in saving Whiterun from the dragon. There's something very off about that. I know that there are practical and gameplay-centric reasons that it happens the way it does, but I still believe it speaks for Balgruuf's character. Plus, it makes good fiction fodder.

Balgruuf will be coming back into the story at the end of chapter three, I believe. So stay tuned. :D

And, I also must note that when I saw "Liam Neeson as Balgruuf," building materials were defecated.
I KNOW. I was trying to think of a face for Balgruuf for ages, and when Liam Neeson finally popped into my head, I was all AAAAAAAAAAH WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE? He's just so perfect.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I just like Balgruuf too much to see him in anything other than a good light, usually, unless someone does so in an unusually good manner. He's my "Skyrim Dad." TUT And I do tend to side with the Legion more often than not and spend more time in Whiterun than any other city, so there's that. :)

Woo! Staying tuned. =)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I'm conflicted. This story is well-written, it really is. But, I'm an avid supporter of the Empire and think the Stormcloaks are in the wrong....

You don't have to be bound by your side in terms of liking stories. I side Stormcloak but love "Kathodos" which is Imperial-side.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm conflicted. This story is well-written, it really is. But, I'm an avid supporter of the Empire and think the Stormcloaks are in the wrong....

I agree with Bulby!

Also, though the story is told from the Stormcloak side of the war, I intend to show more of the individual and personal reasons each of the main characters has to fight in the war, versus the general "Skyrim is for the Nords!" thing. So, hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy it without feeling like I'm pushing the Stormcloak agenda on you. :D Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

AvetruetoCaesar

True. Maybe it's just because I haven't actually made a Stormcloak character yet. I can't seem to push myself to do it. Anyway, keep it up. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Tickles Da Clown

Supreme Overlord of Mirth
Yes, Kynesgrove is an inevitability for Annika. The real question is: what's waiting for her there?
You know what I'm wondering? How Annika is going to react when she goes to save Kynesgrove from Alduin.

Tickles Da Clown

I'm itching for more chapters. This story is freaking amazing, and I'm really anxious for more.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm itching for more chapters. This story is freaking amazing, and I'm really anxious for more.
Thank you so much!

I've kind of put the story on the backburner for a bit while I've been A. revising my book, and B. playing lots and lots of Skyrim and Hitman: Absolution. But I have been thinking a lot about Annika lately so I may have a new scene or two up soon!

Tickles Da Clown

Awesome! I am kind of new to this site, so I don't know how to put up links yet, but I have a kind of mediocre so far fanfic called The Story of Dovahkiin. Original, right?

This story is amazing. Very well done. Thank you for sharing your brilliant ideas and feelings with us. After all, when we write, as little bit of us always manages to slip in to our characters doesn't it;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts