Why Skyrim sucks, even though I love it.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
....it's a cold, harsh land that doesn't see many immigrants...
I have no idea why this is so. After all, we Nords are a warm and welcoming people when it comes to immigrants. It's not as if we are xenophobic or harbor any racial or cultural prejudices.... :D

HaxAras

I've seen this complaint a lot and I don't think it's entirely fair. Skyrim is like 90% Nords, it's a cold, harsh land that doesn't see many immigrants, so one could expect a lower population as a result. It makes sense that there would be less cities in Skyrim than other provinces of Cyrodiil.
For instance, if one were backpacking in California and Alaska, you would expect to run into more cities in the milder climate of California than you would in the more unforgiving wilderness of Alaska.

I like the fact that walking from one city to another requires a long trek through the unforgiving country side. Running into a city every 5 minutes would really break the immersion of forging through a harsh landscape.

Also, I like being able to immediately identify and picture cities just upon hearing their names. Each is distinct in their own way. Too many cities kind of waters that down. You'd just end up with like 3 cities kinda-like solitude that are indistinguishable, 2 cities like whiterun that are indistinguishable, and so on and so forth.

I guess it depends on the person. I think most of the "more cities" complaints are by people who haven't played the other games and/or don't know much about the series. It wouldn't feel like you were in Skyrim if it was some sprawling metropolis. I think they nailed the atmosphere.

I Like You, You Actually Take The Time To Post Your Opinion Instead Of Just saying Something Like, "It Has Enough Cities"

I Agree And Disagree At The Same Time. "Humans Have Modular Brains Allowing Us To Have Conflicting Opinions"
I Played Oblivion And Really Didn't Like It. I Really Liked The Castles From Two Worlds. There Were Villages That Were Surrounded By Pointed Stakes Then There Were A Few Heavily Fortified Castles. There Was A War Going On With Orcs And You Could Destroy A City Of Orcs And/ Or A City Of Humans. But That's Off Topic.

I Wan't More Cities Or More Enemies In The Wilderness. In Two Worlds I Was Always Getting Attacked by Something, And I Had Teleports. In Oblivion/Skyrim I Go For 10 Minutes At A Time On Occasion Not Getting Attacked By Anything. Or Discovering Anything For That Matter.
In Two Worlds I Would Place A Teleport, Warp To A City Sell All My Stuff Then Warp Back. In The Elder Scrolls, I Have To Fast Travel And Can Only Fast Travel To Landmarks, Can't With Enemies Nearby.

Two Worlds Being my First RPG I Always Compare Others To It By Those Standards, I Feel Skyrim Is Much Better Done Than Oblivion, But Some Things Ruin It A Bit For Me.

Jaeger

The lower population is because of processing power (and they're at war). Faces eat a lot of processing power. That's why guards wear full covering helmets. It was the same with Fallout. But Jaeger, Assassin creed had crowds. And they had veils on which covered their faces which draw a lot of processing power.

Really, you can blame xbox 360/ps3. I wonder how many crowd will the xbox720/ps4 give us in a coupla of years.

Fallout nexus mods added population to the game. Maybe you should play it on a super-duper computer with some Skyrim nexus mods.

Jaeger

Yep, I'll concur... it's location and amenities are very convenient. And for practical purposes, the house is small and quick to get in and out of quickly. The digs in Solitude are impressive, but you can get lost in there!

What's nice about the blacksmith of Warmaidens is that each of the smiths have independent purse allocations (some of the shops seem to share a common purse amongst the employees).

And let's not forget the Drunken Huntsman aka Wal-Mart, open 24 hours. For looting efficiency, take out the outside of a location, loot, fast travel any time of day to sell, fast travel back, go inside the location...

Jaeger

this.
it was the same in oblivion and all the newest fallout games. Resetting chests is supposed to add to the illusion that the world is living and breathing even without you and that when you're in another location there are other people using chests too.

Admittedly it's a pretty crappy situation and it sucks that the game may have led you to believe the room, since it was yours, was safe...but the fact that only containers in houses you own are safe isn't exactly a hidden secret.

Very tough luck though, that's a hard way to learn a lesson.

The tower of winter hold (Mage tower) student digs is safe, but if you become Archmage and get his digs, those are not safe.

Kablewee

that sucks, but it tells you during loadscreen unless you missed it :) not to put any valuable items in container, barrels that you don't own otherwise it won't be there next time you visit.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts