1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Spoiler Why is Hadvar following me?

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Rhubarb&Custard, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Rhubarb&Custard Active Member

Message Count:
    I've just this minute completed the Civil War questline on the Legion's side, after the hour long speech Gen Tullius gives, I head out of Windhelm and Fast travel to Dragonsreach to see the Jarl for a spot of tea, walk two seconds, turn around and Hadvar's there, weapon drawn rambling about me being dragonborn and who killed more rebels, I walk to the Bannered Mare thinking he'll just walk off and it's just a glitch, but he starts following me, like the way a follower would if you'd hired or asked for their help. :confused: I don't get it, and aren't you meant to get 20k septims for helping in the civil war questline? All I got was a lousy ebony sword of leeching which I've already made myself and is WAY cooler than Tullius' cause it has a GERMAN NAME!!! :mad: (Lebensauger if anyone's interested, Life Sucker, thought it sounded cool. :cool:)

Any thoughts?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Xivia4 Active Member

Message Count:
    Pay off any existing bounties and then exit out of Whiterun. If he's still behind you then walk to Riverwood and from there go back to Whiterun. He'll go away sooner or later.
  3. Janus3003 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Maybe Hadvar just has a crush but has difficulty expressing it?
    • Funny Funny x 5
  4. Jersey Dagmar Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

Message Count:
    An extremely common glitch. I think that you have to get as close to him as possible. Save the game. Restart. When you do he should say something and head off. I did something to this effect and he left me alone after that.
  5. Kalin of High Rock Faal Lun vahdin

Message Count:
    This seems the most likely scenario. He's trying to ask you out, but just can't seem to find the courage.

That, or he smells the Hadvar Snacks in your pocket
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. Jersey Dagmar Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

Message Count:
    Hadvar is adorable. I wouldn't mind be taken out on a date by him.
    sticky runes likes this.
  7. Epic Keith By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!

Message Count:
    It's a glitch of the Legion's side of the quest. Hadvar follows you but only in Whiterun, fast-travelling to other places and then returning may fix it
    Rhubarb&Custard likes this.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rhubarb&Custard Active Member

Message Count:
    I'll try that, thanks. :D I also recall on my last playthrough getting 20,000 septims for the Legion side of the questline upon completion, I did have a pretty high bounty in Windhelm before doing the final battle (fus ro dahed loads of food at Ulfric. teehee :p ) any ideas why I didn't get it? Do I need to serve time or pay a bounty in Windhelm?
  9. Psiberzerker Author

Message Count:
    I've had the same glitch, but he seems to hang out mostly in Dragonsreach, sometimes follows as far as Witerun City, but not beyong the gate. No in-game affect, so I ignore it.
    Rhubarb&Custard likes this.
  10. DaniWulf New Member

Message Count:
    did you ever get your septims?? i didnt get mine either...
  11. DaniWulf New Member

Message Count:
    i am wearing my mara amulet! that must be why...
  12. Clau The Fateless One

Message Count:
    In my game, I have finished the Civil War Quest line. Hadvar does not follow me at all. He is located in the Sleeping Giant Inn over at Riverwood and just drinks and drink.... He is wearing the heavy version of the Imperial armor.
  13. Gehenna Dazed & Confused

Message Count:
    I like the line he says about "Was it your ma or pa that was the dragon?"
    DaniWulf likes this.
  14. Rhubarb&Custard Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for all your replies! Sorry for such a late reply, and this probably will bump more important topics down, sorry, last time I played was the date I posted this which was my birthday, so I got a new laptop shortly afterwards and let my PS3 and Skyrim collect dust..:oops: Anyway, Hadvar's no longer following me, still haven't got my money, but I still have the main questline to complete (for a second time after my main level 48 got overwritten somehow by making a new save. Q.Q) so now I'm playing with my redguard (Level 37 if I remember correctly) Anyway, I think Hadvar's gone off to drink away his sorrows. Fine by me, I got Marcurio to go do awesome things with. :cool:
  15. Annageckos Active Member

Message Count:
    I have only done the civil war once (working on my second play through), but I don't remember getting any gold for finishing it.
  16. KC95 Member

Message Count:
    Lucky! Hadvar is dreamy. <3
  17. Gandalf The Boss Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth

Message Count:
    Throw potatoes at him!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rhubarb&Custard Active Member

Message Count:
    Really? I find him a sweetie, but he's not compatible with my redguard. :p Much prefer Marcurio, he's sassy, starting to think I should've married him instead of the merc you get from Markarth..