1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Why I Hate Followers

Discussion in 'Skyrim Articles' started by imaginepageant, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Milo Jackson

Milo Jackson New Member

I agree with you I had a very strong mage following me I'm a woodelf/assasin/archer/thief and I had a lot of fun with the mage other than a warrior follower. It just took out the whole aspect and idea of sneaking at all. And plus its more of a challenge without one.

2. Caideus

Caideus Member

Hmm, if only my horse had ever had this sort of attitude. But way too many times has my horse died… Now, I don't reclessly rush in to battle, hop off and start swinging. No, I see a fight coming up, I park my horse in a safe and reasonable distance away from the fight. I charge in, I start swinging, and then I notice that my horse had also charged into the fray. Sometimes I will even park further away, thinking it to be better. No, my horse will still charge and actually beat me. As if we were racing! No, so I gave up on horses… with of course, the exception of the Arvak!!! Now that is a fine steed, no more dumping septims when they are just going to die! Arvak is already dead and FREE!!

But with companions… if I have one, they wait outside of dungeons or I will have them park until the coast is all clear, then I will come back in them. After all, I will still need a that special pawn broker.

3. Olivia the Amazing ;)

To be honest everything you mention has some truth to it, but I believe that it is better to have a companion along with you than being completely companionless. My reasons are as follows-

* Sneaking-

You say that companions are terrible sneakers and yell at their foes. I have not had trouble with this. When I sneak they sneak just as quietly. And my follower (Uthegaurd) does not attack an enemy unless I make the first blow. I do believe that after you do make the first blow, your companion will attack, but if you want to stay hidden from your enemy, and not have your follower give away your position than I suggest you give them a bow which they will use from long range. Or you could give them the command to 'Wait Here', and pick them up after your done assassinating the enemy.

*They are a good Distraction-

I am on the Cultists quest right now and I found that they are a good distraction when I kill the lurkers that come out of the stones. While the lurker focuses on Uthegaurd, I start slashing him from behind and finish him off while not taking any damage myself, and I don't feel bad for Uthegaurd cause she never dies, so she is like a fighting punching bag really. This technique is good for fighting any sort of for.

*Killing Dragons-

I find that followers help a lot when killing dragons, especially if you give them a bow and an Axe. For instance, when I killed Alduin, Uthegaurd would hit him with arrows, and I with 'Dragonrend', and when he landed we would both grab our axes and start hacking away.

*Avoiding Traps in Dungeons-

I have found that when I went to the Dwemer Dungeons in The Elder Knowledge quest that Mercurio actually informed me when we were close to traps, and he avoided the traps as well, so maybe some followers are stupider than others? Because my Lydia died from a frostbite spider, which are really easy enimies, but my Uthegaurd hasn't died once yet.

*Carrying Things-

Also you can make good use of the weapons and armor you aren't using by giving it to your follower or giving them all the heavy misc. Items.

So all in all I believe having a follower is for the better and makes killing foes twice as easier. ;) Have a fabulous day guys!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raven Darkmoore

Great article! All of what you say is so true. Despite that however, I still like the followers at lower levels. My last character quit taking them as I didn't need them any longer to help keep me alive. However, my new character, a pure mage, still has one at level 29. I tried to go it alone with him, but he still died too often, so back to Mjoll it was. But that doesn't mean your points are irrelevant. They are relevant and true. But I still like them any way. ;)

5. The Wooden Dagger

The Wooden Dagger New Member

Pro's:
    • Human Shield OP
    • Mobile Bank
    • Help during fight, especially when playing a squishy character.
    • The dialogues are awesome (when you have Cicero as a companion).
    • It feels nicer wandering with a companion when you know a random dragon shows up.
    • If you feel like wandering alone for some time, you can always let them wait at your house. ..At least if you trust them with your wife (a)
    Cons:
    • They block the way sometimes.
    • They sometimes ignore you sneaking and charge in.
    • You have the freedom to pick a companion that's a good match-up with your character.
    • They sometimes block your range attacks.
    • They finish off enemies that you can easily kill on your own.

6. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

It seems like there are a million reasons to love them and then a million and one reasons to hate them. I can see both sides, but you are right in that they seem to get in the way a lot. It is always when you least want it to happen too, so a bit of a Murphy's Law thing going on. It is just another necessary evil though, so I would just focus on the good side.

7. Joanner1210

Joanner1210 New Member

I feel you man! especially that im building an assassin type of khajiit character. I really like killing people with stealth mode on. I love slitting the throats of the enemies lol. XD and being silent always, but when I tried having a follower, like you, Lydia it destroyed my play style coz she always charge to the enemies that I didnt kill because i ran off for another try. Thuglife Lydia. :D :D

8. dblanch

dblanch New Member

The only follower I've ever enjoined is the vampire lady from the Dawnguard DLC (I can't remember her name for the life of me at this moment). She had unique animations, would comment on innocuous things going on around you. She actually felt real, opposed to all the rest who felt very wooden.

9. Bluesnow222

Bluesnow222 New Member

This pretty much summarizes my feelings.... and my Name IRL is Lydia xD

I usually will play a mage and I end up accidentally killing most of my helpers by accident... the entire time screaming "Get out of the way Lydia!" and my boyfriend asks if I need to go to a mental institution since he thinks I"m talking to myself.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    CemeteryGates23: 1 Point Apr 16, 2016
  10. CemeteryGates23

CemeteryGates23 New Member

That's hilarious!
    I love having Lydia along as a pack mule, but I facepalm and reload every time I unleash apower attack and Lydia rushes in, then I her corpse flying forward as she grunts in defeat...

11. Xalia13

Xalia13 New Member

Companions definitely make being stealthy a chore. I would rather not have them and summon everything. I keep the Sanguine Rose on me along with my Spectral Assassin and summons for distractions if battle begins. I can always just devour everyone as a werewolf if it is called for. I guess John Cena is an acceptable companion since you can't see him. :p I apologize...I am a dork.