• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

neithskye

That's actually one more reason I dislike followers - I would love to have a friend with me on my adventures, but you can't exactly sit down and have lunch and a lovely conversation with your followers. When they do talk, they sound like someone under my employ rather than an actual companion. Makes me sad sometimes when I do have a follower.

I can't agree with this statement more.

I've only been playing Skyrim for about 10 days, so still getting familiar with it. Anyway, the second I saw Farkas, I knew I had to spend some time with the man. I thought it would be really cool to marry him and make him my companion, so we could traverse Skyrim slaying dragons together.

The reality has been somewhat less than ideal. He never talks -- I may as well be adventuring with a log rather than a trusted friend -- unless I heal or cast Courage on him, and all his Talk options are subservient.

It makes me sad that this magnificent man has been turned into a glorified bagboy. That's not what I meant to do. He's my spouse and equal, not some mule.

As for combat, he's always getting lost. Really, Farkas? I took two steps. I can't risk using my Shouts for fear of hurting him. No wonder Aura Whisper is my most often-used Shout. And despite my giving him upgrades and health enchants over my own character, he takes so much damage. One-shot by a Mudcrab? I can't understand it.

I hate to admit it, but it feels like I'm gimping my character. Yesterday I got the first Storm shout. I climbed to the highest point so I could proudly Shout to the sky and summon a storm.

How was I to know that it attacks friendlies? "Watch it there, sister." Um. "That's it. I'm going to kill you." Wait. What? I didn't know it would hurt you. We're married. Can't we talk about it?

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Just give me an old fashioned pack mule any day, like in Dungeon Siege. AI is a problem in all games. It's a limitation of current computer technology.

To make up for this lack, I use Awesome Follower Tweaks mod. It gives me some control over their behavior.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I'm always stealthy, so I never use companions.

Aetherguard

I completely agree. However, I found a way around it so I can still have my pack mule and stealth, too. I use the 'wait here' feature. Talk to the companion and have them wait far enough back that they will not join combat if initiated. I clear dungeons in stages this way. You have to go back and get them, but it is worth it. I also use this to go through trap hallways solo and disarm on other side then go back and get them.

As far as the triggered spike gates, Lydia(or whomever) will just have to ragdoll it until they step correctly. Thankfully, they are kept from dying via traps and worldly damage.

However, they can all take mortal damage if hit once they take a knee. I have lost Faendal, Ludia, and Mjoll this way so far. Aggravating when I have to walk, not run, back to the closest waystation to sell or stash or get a buggy ride after looting them. aggravating!

RespectTheNetch

But then, behind me:

“I’LL KILL YOU IF I HAVE TO! RAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!”

Damn it, Lydia.

"I am sworn to carry your burdens."

No Lydia, I am sworn to carry YOUR burdens. Geez.

A. You're the back-talkiest, whinerific, doorway****blocking housecarl I've ever come to meet.

2. You carry less dwemer metals than me and you're done.

III. If you are my sword and my shield, I've had better Ancient Nord swords and Hide shields that were better than you.

You've been a decent housecarl... when you're not around me and don't even think about getting a good review from me for your next thane.

Huh?

I built Lakeview and while I was becoming "Thane" in Falkreath, I asked Lydia to become Housecarl there since all she did in Breezehome was sit around babbling. When I became Thane in Falkreath I also got the housecarl from there. She patrols the perimeter while Lydia haunts the house. I married Aela who can be a good stealth follower if outfitted right and considered. She usually lags WAY back in the shadows and can come to the rescue at times. She and the kids live in Solitude where they are all "happy." But, if they are at the lake and the place gets raided, Aela can really put the hurt on the invader(s). What they all say to each other, if anything, while I'm out and about, I know not. Works for me.

Agent007

Moody Dovahkiin
Aha! I'm not really one for companions, but it makes me feel really happy when I'm wandering the vast roads of Skyrim and I come across a person or two. Makes me really happy... until I kill them and steal their belongings... ;)

EDcellent

lol @ Followers, not even once.

Ok maybe once in a while. I sometimes use them as pack mules when I'm plowing through caves and trying to collect stuff to sell.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Great article I agree with almost everything.

I never used a companion until fairly recently myself, I just thought they'd die too easily and be a waste of time.
But after I tried them I found that they are quite useful for the right type of character.
I'm primarily a necromancer/conjurer so a follower is just another body I can use as a meatshield, I mostly use followers to carry dragon scales and bones as I like to collect a large amount and I don't care if they get lost, if I carry them myself then it is a trip to the house every hour or two.
They are useless for a sneaky character but a mage and a warrior would find them to be useful, the only negative really is that they can take away from your xp, but i'm not the type of player that is bothered about optimum gear, max level etc.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
If only you would use Derkeethus....he's GREAT for stealth. fluff, he's great for ANYTHING, especially stealth

Shyan

well my only wish is that bethesda make an update so that when you dismiss a follower they dont change their armor into their default armor. It is much better if they keep the armor you give them

WVUbeerman

I got ripped off on my Apple
Yeah, I just want a donkey i can holler at when i am done with a mission or when i need them and then can send them back. I liked the whistle feature that AC 3 had, I wish they would have instituted that in the new updates.

JClarke1953

I quit using follower's after the Priestess of Azura was killed. It got to be a pita to supply follower's with potion's, to keep my Dremora Lord's from attacking them because of friendly fire, as well as getting killed because a follower wasn't near enough to help, or got in my way. So I leave Lydia at Breezhome with the girl's, and I solo. I'm not too worried about what loot I carry out or not, because I was using follower's as mules to pack my loot out.

But my char lives cheap, and so I don't worry about a home in Falkreath or Morthal (mainly because of bug's), or really anywhere.

Iveri Sarothil

I miss having Serana as a follower. She never got in the way, stayed sneaky when I stayed sneaky, never ran off to go kill something unless it was close by, didn't stand about in doorways...ugh. Makes me wish I never finished Dawnguard. Only follower I ever really stuck it out with.

Godzillaman 08

I miss having Serana as a follower. She never got in the way, stayed sneaky when I stayed sneaky, never ran off to go kill something unless it was close by, didn't stand about in doorways...ugh. Makes me wish I never finished Dawnguard. Only follower I ever really stuck it out with.
Wait can't she still be a follower even though you finished the main quest.

Iveri Sarothil

At least not for me. The most she'll do is offer to put blood on my arrows for shooting at the sun. And this is after a full reinstall.

Syb

It's incredibly annoying how some followers will stick to you like glue in a cave. I'm about to grab an item from a shelf when Anska walks right into me and I end up with a linen wrap instead.

Also, some of the quest-specific followers won't sneak when you do. Really? There is nothing I hate more than that; playing a sneaky character, I can't tell when an enemy has detected me because the non-sneaking follower can see me.

I do wish there was a way to disable their, "Hey, watch it!" responses because I usually hear that when they're standing close by (of course) but the arrow whizzes past at least an arm's breadth from them to find its target.

I'm doing the quest with Anska right now and had to pause to come here and vent because I am this close to giving her a practical demonstration of what happens when I don't watch it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts