Why does everyone hate the Thalmor?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

elias

Pretty much everyone hates the Thalmor. No question. When coming up with a backstory for characters, it has become common for folks to tie in the Thalmor in some negative way. Sure, they are elitists that are fundamentally responsible for the Imperial vs Storm cloak war, but they have a certain irresistible charm to them. They are both taller and faster than all of the other races, and at the same time they are natural born mages.

If you can't beat em, join em. Right?

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Yeah, in all my Skyrim ventures, I can say that even in the worst circumstances the Thalmor are no less than polite. In my first couple of incarnations, I killed them on sight. So they showed up frequently. As I "matured" (heh heh) I stopped killing them, and guess what, I never see them. It seems to me Bethesda fosters this animosity, perhaps without cause.

JoeReese

They are small bands of foreign invaders, who regularly capture, imprison, torture, and kill people for their religious beliefs. Strike up some dialog with the patrols, and see what it takes for them to decide to exterminate you. No thanks.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Pretty much everyone hates the Thalmor. No question. When coming up with a backstory for characters, it has become common for folks to tie in the Thalmor in some negative way. Sure, they are elitists that are fundamentally responsible for the Imperial vs Storm cloak war, but they have a certain irresistible charm to them. They are both taller and faster than all of the other races, and at the same time they are natural born mages.

Altmer you mean?

Thalmor are a political party, that seized control in Summerset Isle through lies, propaganda and assassination. They commit acts of genocide on those 'not of pure blood' also some ethnic cleansing of the Bosmer. They torture and kill anyone who questions their doctrines or beliefs.

Other than that... Yeah there is a charm. In killing them.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass

Altmer you mean?

Thalmor are a political party, that seized control in Summerset Isle through lies, propaganda and assassination. They commit acts of genocide on those 'not of pure blood' also some ethnic cleansing of the Bosmer. They torture and kill anyone who questions their doctrines or beliefs.

And they are a considerable minority if memory serves me properly. Their tactics and policies are not really that unusual when you look at places where a minority controlling interest, particularly a strongly ideological one seized power and rules with an iron fist to hold that power.

Most of the time when Joe Public has to choose between two forces fighting for control in a power vacuum, they will almost always go with the stronger of two opponents even if they agree more with the weaker option more because out of the two groups, the strong one will beat the weak one. Can't be in bad graces with the one who is most likely to control things regardless.

It'll be interesting to see where psjjjj goes from here.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
And they are a considerable minority if memory serves me properly.

They were a minority around 4E 01, not sure if they still are now.
I agree that very well may be the case as they kinda worked the system to kill their opposition, figuratively and literally.

I think it's most likely more even now than prior, but I think if you add the pro-Thalmor folk with the indifferent/reluctant tolerance to the Thalmor folk, then that total is certainly greater than the anti-Thalmor (or at least enough to do something about it) folk.

That said, I am doing my part:

TESV 2014-04-05 14-00-56-80.png

Lars Of Morrowind

Yeah, Altmer doesn't equal Thalmor.
I feel like Altmer = Thalmor is something a lot of the Nord's of Skyrim would think though lol.

Their views are terrible. They pretty much want to rule over everyone else, because they think they're much superior.
I do agree with them about the Talos thing, in that I don't think he should be considered a god. But I don't think Talos worship should be outlawed and something that could get you killed.

That being said, I still freaking love the Thalmor. Not gonna lie, it's mostly for the looks. The robes are cool, and the Altmer are pretty.

Torok

No, if you join them they will eventually stab you in the back with a bound sword. They seek the annihilation of all the other races. They're dangerous.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I like Altmer (especially the accents and snooty attitudes) and really don't mind the Thalmor - they're so easily baited and I always get good loot from their corpses.

Frankly, I don't really care what they do in SR. With the attitudes of most of the Nords in SR, they're kinda getting what they deserve.

Just behave yourselves folks and you won't get in trouble.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I do agree with them about the Talos thing, in that I don't think he should be considered a god.
There's a decent percentage even amongst the Altmer that would disagree that's an odd concept. The Psijics for example, and others in the Altmer culture believe in the "old ways" that there really aren't divine beings, but that those entities are just really old and really strong ancestor spirits that only seem "divine" due to their strength and powers being honed for centuries. The concept of ancestor worship is not really uncommon by any means even in the real world. Art reflects life.

In reality, I think the Thalmor do dislike the Talos thing, and sizable faction dislike it a great deal, but they care more that the ban in place is really meant primarily to weaken their enemy by driving a wedge between the empire and at least a large portion of Nords in general and getting Cyrodiil's northern border agitated.

The Thalmor are not likely going to be able to open up a northern front in the coming war themselves, but if they can trick a decent even a decent sized empowered minority in Skyrim to do it for them, then their own personal objectives in the upcoming battles are far easier.

Like them or not, one thing you can't take away from the Thalmor though is they are very crafty with their strategic planning.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I like Altmer (especially the accents and snooty attitudes) and really don't mind the Thalmor - they're so easily baited and I always get good loot from their corpses.

Frankly, I don't really care what they do in SR. With the attitudes of most of the Nords in SR, they're kinda getting what they deserve.

I can understand Nordic frustration over a group of outsiders and occupiers mandating religious practices to them at the point of a blade. If I came to your home and started mandating how you must decorate, what food you eat and what actions you are or aren't allowed to do, you would likely object to those as well.

There are certainly other factors in play as well, but when it comes to a people's religion, the most devoted to that practice are not all that easily forced to reject their core belief systems.

elias

Altmer you mean?

No, I mean the Thalmor. It was said above that they are a minority, so its likely that they are doing whatever they can to survive.

They might not be the nicest race (I say race because they consider themselves pure blood) out there, but they have a backbone, that's for sure. Kill or be killed.

Daelon DuLac

I can understand Nordic frustration over a group of outsiders and occupiers mandating religious practices to them at the point of a blade. If I came to your home and started mandating how you must decorate, what food you eat and what actions you are or aren't allowed to do, you would likely object to those as well.

There are certainly other factors in play as well, but when it comes to a people's religion, the most devoted to that practice are not all that easily forced to reject their core belief systems.
Not me. I'm married so I'm used to be told what to do, how to do it and exactly what is expected of me and what to believe in or reject, and know that, if I deviate in the slightest I will be punished, put up for torture and hearing about it for years to come.

I luv my other 1/2. Thank goodness there's no presence on these forums of I would be in BIG trouble. :)

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
Considering I usually play elf fighter/mages in most of my other RPGs you might think I would love the thalmor and their elven population. I have used them as a negative in my backstories, because i'm playing characters that have bad history with elves.

I think my next character is going to be a former altmer general, who has gone awol because he cannot get behind the destruction of a different faith. Kinda like Miles Matheson in Revolution.

Daelon DuLac

Considering I usually play elf fighter/mages in most of my other RPGs you might think I would love the thalmor and their elven population. I have used them as a negative in my backstories, because i'm playing characters that have bad history with elves.

I think my next character is going to be a former altmer general, who has gone awol because he cannot get behind the destruction of a different faith. Kinda like Miles Matheson in Revolution.
My Den Moria is a former Justiciar out to kill Elenwyn and eliminate the Thalmor starting with Skyrim. He's a hoot to play. I love how the Altmer really do give each other a lot of leeway. It helps when wanting to get close or infiltrate them. I was even able to infiltrate their keep (Northwatch?) with relative ease while dressed in Glass armor and carrying the same weaponry. They never saw it coming!

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass

My Den Moria is a former Justiciar out to kill Elenwyn and eliminate the Thalmor starting with Skyrim. He's a hoot to play. I love how the Altmer really do give each other a lot of leeway. It helps when wanting to get close or infiltrate them. I was even able to infiltrate their keep (Northwatch?) with relative ease while dressed in Glass armor and carrying the same weaponry. They never saw it coming!
That's a really cool RP angle to take. Like it much I do.

Pálrún

Skyrim being my first RPG/ES game ever, I'm a tiny little bit disappointed with how the elvish races (Bosmer, Altmer) look in Skyrim. I was rather hoping for something more like the elves in Lord of the Rings. The Altmer aren't too bad, but the eyes look alienish. The Bosmer are slightly worse and the Dunmer are just evil looking.
Maybe I'll get used to it.

I definitely don't like the Thalmor though, the Justicar is out to kill me, I found the letter. I keep running across a "high elf" here and there who tries to assassinate me. I'm not even sure why!

Daelon DuLac

Skyrim being my first RPG/ES game ever, I'm a tiny little bit disappointed with how the elvish races (Bosmer, Altmer) look in Skyrim. I was rather hoping for something more like the elves in Lord of the Rings. The Altmer aren't too bad, but the eyes look alienish. The Bosmer are slightly worse and the Dunmer are just evil looking.
Maybe I'll get used to it.

I definitely don't like the Thalmor though, the Justicar is out to kill me, I found the letter. I keep running across a "high elf" here and there who tries to assassinate me. I'm not even sure why!
I don't know about that. I play on PS3 and my elves always end up mighty human looking after I use the modifies in Helgen. I have a Bosmer that looks just like Orlando Bloom in TLOTR and I have played an Altmer that looked a great deal like Elrond. I can't do a thing with the Dunmer though. Grey skin and red eyes are hard to work in to any genre.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts