Why does everyone hate Astrid

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

buneter

Everyone online says they hate Astrid and love cicero and some people say that they will reload just to kill her over and over again
I get that she betrayed the DarkBrotherhood but she's my leader I don't care if im the listener or what I take the contracts that she gives me,
I think someone has to see it in my way where no matter what questline I do, I don't care what daedric lord wants and what they want me to do because im stronger then them(clavicus vile even says im as strong as a half powered one at level 1 so once I learn all the dragon shouts and get level 81 im stronger then any of them) But I do what feels right like for example during the theives guild I go after mercer because he stole from the vault and, the companion's I cure him because he wanted it. I follow the person who recruited me I dont care what the nightmother or any other daedric or just religious figure wants if they didn't recruit me I'm not listening to them

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Well if you care more about Astrid than the organization than what you are saying is understandable. But, anybody who truly believes in the Brotherhood, as well as the tenants that they live by, you would be more than happy to put down Astrid, she forsook the code she lived by, and sold her organization out by doing so.

Atz

Astrid is afflicted by Paranoia, which in our world affects many of the human race. Richard NIxon was afflicted with the same mentel disorder, which resulted in his Exit from the Whitehouse.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I don't hate Astrid, I'm actually quite fond of her. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of the Dark Brotherhood in general. I just find Astrid to be a likable character who I sympathize with. If I remember how everything went down correctly, I think she had the best interests of her people in mind.

Conversely, I hate Cicero. He's obnoxious and excessively creepy. He has little to no redeeming qualities for me.

Kaelbu

I get that. My first playthrough of the DB questline, I felt more inclined to follow Astrid, too. But I guess it felt like she was real and the HAIL SITHIS stuff wasn't, until you're revealed as the Listener.
I'm usually less inclined to obey Daedra and work in favor of mortals anyway though. And the DB isn't really my faction of choice... At first, Cicero creeped me out. It wasn't until the end when he became a follower that I started to not feel uneasy in his presence.

Wildroses

Personally, I'd always wondered if people would treat Astrid more sympathetically if her betrayal of the Dragonborn to Maro hadn't directly resulted in the deaths of Gabriella, Festus, Arnbjorn and Veezera. Forgiveness for a failed betrayal of yourself is much easier than forgiving someone who directly, if inadvertently, set in motion a chain of events resulting in the death of four much loved friends and family.

Making a deal with someone whose son your organisation has recently murdered in cold blood is stupid. Making a deal with a security organisation if you are an order of assassins is stupid. Making a deal which involves the security organisation allowing the order of assassins to survive and keep assassinating people is stupid. Expecting them to keep said deal is also stupid.

Astrid did all four of those things at once. Seriously, Astrid? It took the violent murder of your husband and three of your five closest friends before you thought: "Gee, maybe the Emperor's security and law enforcing organisation might decide to not honour our deal to let the Dark Brotherhood keep murdering people. I wonder if the head of this organisation is still upset that I oversaw and approved the destruction of his son's life and reputation?"

That sort of stupidity is hard to forgive for some.

AS88

Staff member
I don't care what daedric lord wants and what they want me to do because im stronger then them

But the whole idea of the Dark Brotherhood is to serve Sithis and the Night Mother (who is suggested to be connected with other Daedric Princes). The second half of the DB questline is pretty much based around following the orders of the Night Mother, sending souls to Sithis and all that.

If your character was so powerful, why would they answer to organisations like the Brotherhood and people like Astrid who is concerned more about her own grip over the Sanctuary than the good of the Brotherhood?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
At first, I liked her because she seemed like a confident and powerful woman, who didn't take crap from anybody. However, I noticed more and more that her decision were self-centered and naive, because she just wanted to control the Sanctuary and be the leader. At the end, I really didn't like her because her actions led to the deaths of the people I liked most in the DB, and so I had no problems killing her. Still, seeing her as the Black Sacrament offering made me cringe. She didn't deserve THAT kind of death. I wish she hadn't betrayed the Brotherhood; I would have continued to like her if she hadn't.

AS88

Staff member
At first, I liked her because she seemed like a confident and powerful woman, who didn't take crap from anybody. However, I noticed more and more that her decision were self-centered and naive, because she just wanted to control the Sanctuary and be the leader. At the end, I really didn't like her because her actions led to the deaths of the people I liked most in the DB, and so I had no problems killing her.

Totally agree!

JoeReese

I hate her because she breaks into my house and kidnaps me in my sleep!
I didn't even dislike her for that...but she still had to die. Can't have that kidnap-the-dragonborn stuff going on. I never had much respect for the DB or the TG anyway, though.
People who pat themselves on the back and talk about honor, while they victimize the innocent...well, the gene pool needed a little chlorine anyway.

Mebbe

It isn't really the night mother that is telling you to kill Astrid, it is Astrid herself performing the black sacrament and making a contract with the night mother with her being the target. So even if you do follow her orders and don't care what the night mother has to say, you will still have to kill Astrid.

Plus she used you as bait, and abandoned tradition, and got Veezera killed.

edit: Now that I think about it I feel like if you really hate her you should leave her alive rather than taking her out like she wants you to do.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I don't mind Astrid. She's got a bit of a superiority complex and is (understandably) paranoid AND she ends up getting most of your Brothers (and a really nice spider) killed, but I don't hate her. She can be pretty cool.

Of course I luv Cicero too. Dude's nuts, but a ball to hang out with.

My questions is, why does everybody hate Maven? I LOVE HER! She's my kind of dame.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
At first, I liked her because she seemed like a confident and powerful woman, who didn't take crap from anybody. However, I noticed more and more that her decision were self-centered and naive, because she just wanted to control the Sanctuary and be the leader. At the end, I really didn't like her because her actions led to the deaths of the people I liked most in the DB, and so I had no problems killing her. Still, seeing her as the Black Sacrament offering made me cringe. She didn't deserve THAT kind of death. I wish she hadn't betrayed the Brotherhood; I would have continued to like her if she hadn't.

You know the fact that I liked Astrid, and saw her as my leader in the organization, made it that much more crushing when she betray me. Its like finding out that your best friend, who you have admired forever, has decided to take the rest of your group of friends and delve into drugs that ends up screwing over the rest of their lives, and at the same time they stole all of your money to pay for the drugs.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Personally, I hate the whole faction. I think they are all a bunch of scumbags... but I gotta join them to get that Stone... irritating.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I never really get it when people are 'morally against it' when Astrid betrays the Brotherhood. I mean.....You're an assassin? You're no better than her. Unless betrayal doesn't equal killing multiple people. :rolleyes:

But despite that; even the thieves guild has rules. And I think that is the case for every organized group or guild. The Dark Brotherhood has their 5 tenants, which Astrid violated. And if you want the best for the organization, then you want the best leader. And in my opinion, that is not Astrid.
...But to say I hate her? No. She made a mistake; and a big one. But she did that while trying to do whatever she thought was the best for the Dark Brotherhood. She also deeply regrets what happened. Her last words were an apology, and since she died right after that I don't think she got the chance to make it up. :coffee:

Astrid's last words:
"I'm sorry. So very sorry. The Penitus Oculatus... Maro... He said that by giving you to them, he would leave the Dark Brotherhood alone. Forever. By Sithis, I was such a fool. All of this... it's all my fault. You are the best of us, and I nearly killed you... as I've killed everyone else... just wanted things... to stay the way they were. Before Cicero, before the Night Mother. Before... you. I thought I could save us. I was wrong. I'm saying you were right. The Night Mother was right. The old ways... they guided the Dark Brotherhood for centuries. I was a fool to oppose them, And to prove my... sincerity, I have prayed for a contract. You lead this Family now. I give you the Blade of Woe, so that you can see it through."

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts