• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
Hey guys, was thinking earlier today as to why i'm so addicted with Skyrim. Like why do I enjoy this game so much? For me it's the feeling of being unstoppable and the amazing feeling of progression, from literally being a prisoner and putting in the effort to become a literal walking god. What about you guys, what are your reasons?

Thanks, Genocide.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
To escape the stress of life and reality in general. Basically, for me it's the same as:

A person using a punching bag to relieve anger.
Someone worrying going for a jog to clear their head.
A stresser taking a smoke.

It calms me down and distracts me. Same thing goes for music.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Because I am a sad and pathetic individual who must escape in to a fantasy world of my own creation to find solace in the bleak and unforgiving emptiness of my existance...

Oh! And 'cause I like to blow up stuff and hunt snotty elves!

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Stopped playing recently, lost the spark.

Guitar is taking over!

Buuuut Necromancy kept me playing..when I get the dlcs my flame will reignite

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
Getting a good look at where a life of crime would lead me...

I play because its either that, or a social life, which I never found too appealing. That, and if something bad does happen IRL, I can put my Skyrim disc in, and take out of anger on some immortal, drugged-up Khajjit wanderer.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I just play to relax and mellow out, to take my mind of real life stuff.

Reactions: Sah

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I could write a friggin' novel on this topic, but the short answer for me is that I find Skyrim to be one of the most accessible and customizable games I've ever played. Without mods, the game is decent. With mods, it's immersive, addictive, and RP-friendly.

I think the main reason that I constantly revisit Skyrim is because playing it helped me through a particularly difficult phase of my life. I first received for Christmas in 2011, at age 17. I was a sad individual who had severe depression and social anxiety. Escaping to a fantasy world was just what I needed at the time.

Now that I'm a lot happier with myself, I still play it for creativity purposes. Just when you think you've done everything, there's always something new to experience.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
It's come down mainly to the creation and customization of characters. I don't play any game that doesn't allow for this. Also, you can pretty much make up your own rules as you go along, and play the game the way you want to play it. It has certain addictive qualities that I can't explain though, like smithing... why is smithing addictive? Picking flowers, collecting weapons, building properties, amassing large amounts of gold; these things all became unexpectedly addictive.

Parselmagic

Like others have said, Skyrim is an escape. It also lets me feel creative about something. I mean, I've gotten into some very detailed backstories for some characters! I give them something to get motivated about, or something to avoid out of fear or prejudice. I once had an Argonian character who I imagined was lactose intolerant because reptiles and amphibians generally should not be consuming dairy. It honestly gets a little ridiculous. But its so much fun for some reason.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
far asa i know the world of elder scroll is the only place you can buy un cut, pure, non tampered skooma...i tried my local drug dealer down the street, but he had no idea what skooma was. It was hard explaining the best skooma comes from cat like people, he then told me to lay of drugs because that makes no sense, so i shouted at him, he got mad. syhouts don't work outside of skyrim, i have tried, also chasing a moth for it's wings isn't as easy as it sounds. I tried going to a dating site to find a sexy orc, but was unsucsessful, point is skyrim makes all these thing possib;e.

Skittenlily

Juggernaut Assassin
Skyrim is Love, Skyrim is Life.....duh lol

Well I have more than one reason, tbh. The first is that I've never played a game like Skyrim, and so when I discovered it there was just no going back. You gotta realize I was coming from older consoles and games, like the PS2 with Kingdom Hearts, which while good games and consoles in their own right - just can't hold a candle to a PS3 and Skyrim. Not for me anyway. I love the ability to customize my character just about however I want - pick whatever name I can dream up, pick my characters race and appearance and alliances and skills.
I've played my share of RPGs before Skyrim but none like it. I think you guys get what I mean by that. lol
I also am going through a rough time in my life right now. Skyrim came along for me at the perfect time. I have a plethora of physical health problems that don't allow me much of a social life or to go out and do fun things very often. I'm 23 years old - it's not easy not being able to do those things very much. I am getting treated for them and I am getting better, thank God, but it's taking some time. And in the meantime I can play Skyrim and forget about my problems for a while.
Sorry to get all personal here guys but my reasons for playing do tend to be personal so. I'm not asking for pity or anything. Just sharing my thoughts. :)
So anyway yeah those are my reasons. Ah yes and I forgot to mention - I also like the open minded-ness of the game engine. Like how you can marry the same gender as yourself or even two people at a time if you want - like Mjoll and Aerin. It's pretty cool that a game is so open minded, to me. :D So that's my last reason for playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
I usually play to just goof around now, really lost interest in mass playthroughs and such; I just constantly run around with new mods and take screenshots.

Wildroses

I really like the freedom, not only to customise your character and choose your playstyle but also in how you play the game. They put all these quests in, but if you don't feel like it you don't have to do anything. Zero Punctuation put it best:

"Yes, there are still mysterious floating arrows the game expects you to stand under if you want to make progress, but if you don't feel like it you can walk 78 miles in the opposite direction, put a cooking pot over a dog's head, and swat at his knackers with a woodsman's axe until he howls himself deaf."

Yeah, I have totally played like that. I spent about six months making characters who told the NPCs to learn to solve their own dang problems and wandering off into the wilderness to be alchemists and hunters.

Like many others, I really have a lot of fun in making up backstories for characters to decide how they react to events in-game. It makes them all feel different, even when they are using the same skill sets.

Escapism from my life, health and stresses of the world also is enjoyable.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
"You come do an honest days work at my mill, and I'll pay you an honest days wages, then we'll drink."

"Honestly.... YOU CAN CUT YOU'RE OWN DAMN LOGS, HOD FROM RIVERWOOD!..... I'm going on an ADVENTURE!"

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
"You come do an honest days work at my mill, and I'll pay you an honest days wages, then we'll drink."

"Honestly.... YOU CAN CUT YOU'RE OWN DAMN LOGS, HOD FROM RIVERWOOD!..... I'm going on an ADVENTURE!"
What, you don't like wood? I like wood! I REALLY like wood... wait... is Hod talking about something else? I just had to rescue him from a Falmer Hive way up by Winterhold. Maybe he's doing something naughty with all that wood. Just a thought. :)

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
Ulfric: "Well put, friend. Tell me, Galmar, why do you play Skyrim?"
Galmar: "I'd play Skyrim into the depths of Oblivion, you know that."
Ulfric: "Yes, but why do you play? If not for me, what then?"
Galmar: "I'll die before elves dictate the fates of men. Are we not one in this?"
Ulfric: "I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on the lack of a great RPG. I fight for their wives and children, who's names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did stay home, only to find our country full of Call Of Duty strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight for my people impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire of corporations too cheap to give them good games, yet brands them criminals for wanting to play them! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing. I fight... because I must."
Galmar: "Your words give voice to what we all feel, Ulfric. And that's why you will be Dovahkin. But the day words are enough, will be the day when protesters like us are no longer needed."
Ulfric: "I would gladly retire from the world were such a day to dawn."
Galmar: "Aye. But in the meantime, we have a game to play."

:D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts