Why did they use the Dawnguard and not The Vigilants of Stendarr?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have read nearly nothing about Dawnguard to avoid spoilers, but am curious about the inclusion of the Dawnguard when the already known Vigilants ( seemingly) could have also served in the same role as vampire hunters. Is there good reason Bethesda went w/ the DG instead? From what little I know about the DLC, seems that crossbows, new armor, etc could have been introduced by a newly revealed sect of the Vigilants.

If possible please be vague or omit any story details, a simple " ... Dawnguard is a more appropriate group for this questline" or " By the 9! Fighter Hayabusa, you are correct! The fanatical Vigilants wouldve been a better choice! Talos guide you..." would suffice!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Vigilants hunt down people who worship Daedra, they're not able to handle Vampires, I can't exactly say more or I'd spoil it, but it'll explain some things with the Vigilants in the dlc.

Aeidir

Archmage and Arch Curate
Let's just say that the vigilants are allied with the dawnguard, but aren't of much use to them during the progression of the story for various reasons. Also, the vigilants are fighting against deadra, undead, necromancers,etc., while the dawnguard are specifically dedicated to stopping Harkon and his vampires. I do agree that the vigilants could have been expanded on to fulfill a similar role, though.

I was discouraged before because the DLC already seemed too divorced from the main game ( like some of the other TES expansions) and was disappointed the VoS werent used to tie it in more cleanly, but with what you guys have said, I'm more likely to get it. Thanks for the spoiler free info!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
When you get it, you'll understand the Vigilants role in the DLC, it'll explain quite a bit, as to why the Dawnguard is the Hunters of Vampires instead of the Vigilants of Stendarr.

Hunfar

The Vigilants hunt down people who worship Daedra, they're not able to handle Vampires, I can't exactly say more or I'd spoil it, but it'll explain some things with the Vigilants in the dlc.

Player: "You hunt daedra?"

VoS: "And any other abominations that prey on mortals. Vampires. Werewolves. Witches. But the Daedra are the worst. Their callous disregard for our lives is an abhorrent in the eyes of the God of Mercy."

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
Most of the DG members are ex Vigilants, the dawnguard are way less forgiving then the vigilants.

Verac

The Dawnguard hunt down and kill vampires, it's what they do, why the Vigilants aren't doing much is explained right when you start the DLC first quest.
I didnt see any reason. all i saw was bullplops about *SPOILER?* them being to soft, which is bullplops because vigilants are extremely unforgiving hell when you speak to them they threaten you. this DLC degraded them and made them look like pussies just to give the dawnguard Bad ass points. fluff you todd.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
If we're going to expose parts of it.
*SPOLIER*

Then you'd realise the Vigilants were killed, their Hall destroyed, they thought they were dealing with normal vampires, they can threaten humans/mortals doesn't make them bad ass, they're use to dealing with weak people who worship the Daedra or some lower class Vampire infected with Vampirism the disease, not the Pure Vampires that got it directly from Molag Bal.

AtomicDonut

The Dawnguard were created because of something that happened with the Vigilants. When the man approaches you in a city and tells you about the Dawnguard, he mentions that the Vampires are getting way out of hand because of something they did.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I didnt see any reason. all i saw was bullplops about *SPOILER?* them being to soft, which is bullplops because vigilants are extremely unforgiving hell when you speak to them they threaten you. this DLC degraded them and made them look like pussies just to give the dawnguard Bad ass points. fu** you todd.

quit_your_bitchin.jpg

Verac

If we're going to expose parts of it.
*SPOLIER*

Then you'd realise the Vigilants were killed, their Hall destroyed, they thought they were dealing with normal vampires, they can threaten humans/mortals doesn't make them bad ass, they're use to dealing with weak people who worship the Daedra or some lower class Vampire infected with Vampirism the disease, not the Pure Vampires that got it directly from Molag Bal.
still call bullplops. vigilants are suppose to be bad ass paladin/warrior monks. they are unforgiving and what does the dawnguard differ in? OH CROSSBOWS or OHH THE DAWNGUARD ARE HARDCORE only HARDCORE thing i see is that they torture vampires. where a vigilant would outright kill them. all i see is todd howard or whatever his name is ret conned to make dawnguard look bad ass. should've been about vigilants.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Where's the impression that the Vigilants are badass? They always seemed like pussies to me. Even more so in the House of Horrors quest. I always loved turning into a Werewolf and attacking their little 'headquarters'. They never stood a chance.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts