1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    Dismiss Notice

Open Why did so many great RP just stop?

Discussion in 'Active Stories' started by TheDreamersverse, Aug 10, 2017.

1. TheDreamersverse

TheDreamersverse Brit Fahiil Vahdin

So I have to say I'm pretty new to the Forums, but not to the role playing game. Even if I don't get accepted into a Roleplay I still like to read it and see how their story progresses, and if you could think of it like a cliffhanger that never ends, when these RP's just... Stop. It's like ruining a great story, a story that you want to be apart of. A story with no end just an abrupt stop.

2. The Honorable Gidian the Diva

The Honorable Gidian the Diva Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!

Interests and priorities change, and motivations weaken.

3. Irishman

Irishman Well-Endowed Member

It is sad, but with 3 or more people to rely on it could sometimes get tedious. Some people would write every day and others would be hard pressed finding time for a post a week. Also once 1 person loses interest it becomes harder for every1 else to pick up the slack.

4. Cordelia

Cordelia Global Moderator
    Staff Member

As they've said above me, it's a problem of managing people, and maintaining their interests over time.

I find that the best balance is a role play that is either designed to be relatively short, or which consists of short-term investment goals; the story, itself, may be larger in ultimate scope, but you sort of have smaller adventures along the road toward that goal. That gives people a chance to disappear when they need to disappear, and come back for the next chapter if time frees up. It can also help to keep the action moving forward, instead of plodding along as people try to figure out how to get to the longer-term goal while floundering with the immediate stuff.

I think, from a composition standpoint, it also helps to encourage length parameters. Nothing that impedes creativity, obviously, but there are times where using more words does not create a better post. This is true of narrative writing, in general, and why I always encourage writers to take up flash fiction exercises; you learn to choose your words carefully so they have the most impact possible, and convey the most accurate information without taking up too much space. And there are times where a really long RP post can end up dragging down the tone and pace of the whole RP. That can contribute to RP death, as well.

So, to the future of forum RP, I suggest post length guides, and an episodic treatment -- like The Twilight Zone, or even American Horror Story. In The Twilight Zone, it could technically be said that every episode happens in the same universe by virtue of it beginning in our native universe, and at some point in each episode, the subjects cross over into The Twilight Zone, which seems to be a place which responds to the people and circumstances which enter it, but more importantly, each episode is fully self-contained. You know the essence of what you're getting into, but the message and path differ each time.

American Horror Story is an interesting beast, though, as each season definitely shares a universe with the others (including character cross-overs), but each season is also self-contained. There is a larger story per season, but once a season wraps up, the cast is free to pursue other projects. Some stay on, of course, and take on new characters (or play a cross-over throw back to a previously established character they played), but once the season wraps up, they are not contractually obligated to stay for the next.

I feel these are two great examples of how RP could be run to conclusion (at least some kind of conclusion) without sputtering to a stop because people go their separate ways, or can't be kept motivated to post.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TheDreamersverse

TheDreamersverse Brit Fahiil Vahdin

I totally agree with you but it's still makes me sad ya know? Like when you finished what you think is the last book in a series but then find out that it was all a cliffhanger for until the author writes another book, but then the author like dies or something so you never get to know what could be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yingvar war wolf

Ive never done that stuff. I mean Ive roleplayed in skyrim but never joined a roleplay.

7. kenia153

kenia153 Member

It is rather disappointing :sadface: I've been in about 3 I think, on this forum, and they all died. I'd get really invested in the story too so it's almost heartbreaking!

I've had better luck with rps that consist of people who are ok with not writing an entire novel per post. I think everyone sort of gets in the mindset that more is more when really that's not always the case in writing.

8. The Honorable Gidian the Diva

The Honorable Gidian the Diva Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!

It's more along the lines that people tend to become too busy to write a full length post that they feel is quality.

9. kenia153

kenia153 Member

Yeah that's basically what I mean't. But you don't really need a 'full-length' post to have a quality post. It's easier to make time for something like a rp when you don't feel required to write an entire novella, in my opinion.

10. Gregor Moon Fang

Gregor Moon Fang Champion of Azura

It's a mix of real life obligations and honestly waning interest in the story itself. When you start one it's usually at a point where you have a lot of time on your hands and you have one great lake full of ideas. Then anything can happen at the worst moment. Something takes away some of that time such as a job, family time, or a hobby you've picked up. You put more work in that and eventually you come on less and the quality of the posts you do become watered down. Then you don't feel as creative and give less attention until eventually you forget about the story. I've been there often and it's a very bad feeling when it does eventually die. No one wants to put their all in something only to feel like it was for naught.

11. Sweetroll76

Sweetroll76 Member

i myself tend to prefer smaller group rp's. So that planning is less stressful. I just joined and notice that some things are years old and some are months. You just have to wait til the next wave of people come around.

: Why, give up?, on your, RP