why can't I see underwater

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

gloria

I can't see and I drown everytime I go underwater. I searched the the forums for a fix to this and came up empty. do they have a fix for this or is it my game or computer. any info would be great. swimming and going underwater has been one of my favorite parts of the elder scrolls series. please help!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Well, first off, you don't have that handy-dandy bar along the top of the screen that tells you when you're running out of breath like you did in the other games. I was saddened by this myself, as the first time I went for a little swim thinking "oh cool, I have water breathing!"...until I suddenly found myself belly-up in the middle of the lake, having my body picked at by seagulls. Whoops. If all else fails, just swim up, and do it on a moderately frequent basis (unless you're an Argonian, which I'm assuming you're not since you drowned).

Now, when you say you can't see underwater, what do you mean? Let's face it, the water in Skyrim is a touch on the murky side (mmmm, algae), it is rather difficult to see in it, but I always found that to add to the realism. I guess I'm just not understanding what being able to see has to do with the breathing...

Iveri Sarothil

Try the mod I linked below for your zero visibility when swimming?
Also, how long are you staying underwater? From what you've said, it sounds like you die faster than the Witch of the West when you submerge your head - there isn't a breath bar, but you'll start losing health and your character'll start making gurgly noises after a good twenty seconds (more or less, prolly less). Just pop up for air frequently if you're going to be swimming long distances. It's definitely not your computer - Skyrim just has dirty water.

Green Water Fix

gloria

Well, first off, you don't have that handy-dandy bar along the top of the screen that tells you when you're running out of breath like you did in the other games. I was saddened by this myself, as the first time I went for a little swim thinking "oh cool, I have water breathing!"...until I suddenly found myself belly-up in the middle of the lake, having my body picked at by seagulls. Whoops. If all else fails, just swim up, and do it on a moderately frequent basis (unless you're an Argonian, which I'm assuming you're not since you drowned).

Now, when you say you can't see underwater, what do you mean? Let's face it, the water in Skyrim is a touch on the murky side (mmmm, algae), it is rather difficult to see in it, but I always found that to add to the realism. I guess I'm just not understanding what being able to see has to do with the breathing...

when I say I can't see underwater, I mean I can't see anything. so I can't even tell if I am going up or not, I drown trying to find my way up. The water is just a green screen. In morrowind and oblovion, I made a helmet that let me breath underwater and I will try it in this game to, if I can. I hope to find a fix so I can at least I can tell where I am. Thanks for the info and the quick response.

gloria

Try the mod I linked below for your zero visibility when swimming?
Also, how long are you staying underwater? From what you've said, it sounds like you die faster than the Witch of the West when you submerge your head - there isn't a breath bar, but you'll start losing health and your character'll start making gurgly noises after a good twenty seconds (more or less, prolly less). Just pop up for air frequently if you're going to be swimming long distances. It's definitely not your computer - Skyrim just has dirty water.

Green Water Fix

Thank you I am going to try this. I will let you know how it works out. also thanks for the quick response. I saw the pictures of the underwater at this page and it looks nothing how my game looks. On my computer all I see a green screen and nothing else. so I hope this lets me see something.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
when I say I can't see underwater, I mean I can't see anything. so I can't even tell if I am going up or not, I drown trying to find my way up. The water is just a green screen. In morrowind and oblovion, I made a helmet that let me breath underwater and I will try it in this game to, if I can. I hope to find a fix so I can at least I can tell where I am. Thanks for the info and the quick response.
Ok, your water shouldn't be THAT murky lol. Try the mod to see if that fixes it....and now that I think about it, are you running any other mods?

Iveri Sarothil

Ick. That sounds like a texture issue if it's that bad. Are your graphics drivers updated? Nvidia can be a pain when it's missed an update.

You could also try this - go to Documents > My Games > Skyrim and open Skyrim.ini with Notepad.
Find the line bDoDepthofField=1 and change the value (1) to 0. Do this in combination with the water mod I linked and see if that helps?

WVUbeerman

I got ripped off on my Apple
I used to be like that when I swam, then I learned slowly to open my eyes and breath out from my nose. It just takes getting used to or you can start using goggles.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts