PC Whiterun, the city of extreme ungratefulness...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Have you experienced random hostility from NPCs?

• Total voters

Chadonraz

Did "Dragon Rising" with my dragon-fearing character last night - up to the point where I needed to report back to Jarl Balgruuf.

During the battle I had looted crossbow bolts off a guard Mirmulnir killed. I also hadn't followed the little pop-up tutorial (that always destroys my immersion) to use my new Shout power.
I have no idea if either of those things had anything to do with what happened in Dragonsreach, but I like to think at least one of them did. Skyrim glitches tend to be caused by the weirdest of reasons, after all...

The first time I'd entered the keep - just a few hours prior, during "Before the Storm" - two bandits had spawned there. Uncommon, but by no means unheard of (the joys of a modded Skyrim).
This time, however, I got attacked by the entire court instead. Balgruuf, Avenicci, Farengar, Hrongar, the guards, and even the local bounty collector!

It wasn't the first time I'd had that glitch happen, so when I saw people drawing their weapons, I didn't waste time by enabling my compass to check if they were showing up as enemies. No, I simply opened the console, typed in "tgm" (was low level, and at the very least the guards could've one-shot me) and ran back out. Did the NPCs stop following? Nope. Some of the guards guarding the streets even joined in. Oddly enough some of them remained non-hostile.

I sprinted through the city, and out of the front gate - with everyone still in hot pursuit.
At that point I decided I had had enough, and gave Whiterun a nice little present; a Legendary Dragon. :pinkdragon:

I had to hang around until they killed the dragon, because the damn thing would follow me if I rode away. I made sure to stay far enough so that I wouldn't absorb the soul (since I'd console spawned the LD, it would've felt like cheating). It was surprising how quickly a Legendary Dragon with +150% stats and +500 armor rating died in the hands of 10+ mostly crossbow-using guards.

That's what you get for being an ungrateful bugger towards Stefan, who'd been terrified throughout the whole Mirmulnir battle. :mad:
He won't be returning to Whiterun in the foreseeable future... main quest be damned.

PS. The first thing I did was check if I'd somehow gotten a bounty or something, but there was nothing in my misc crime stats. Well, except the three assaults on a bear, a Draugr and a certain Giant.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Oh yes. It's happened to me many times and I'm not even on PC and/or modded.

For some reason everything is fine until I enter Dragonsreach the second time (usually after killing the dragon) and suddenly everybody is out to get me (and I mean everybody, even the kids!).

Obviously I don't want to kill anybody there as I want the house so I run outside and suddenly everybody outside is after me too.

It must be some sort of glitch since I never have any bounties or anything.

The worst one for me was when, at level 7, on a recent character, Whiterun kept getting attacked by vampires, over and over and over! Every time we'd clear a bunch a new bunch would show up! I swear, there was almost nobody left in town by the time 9am in the morning rolled around (this was all happening from about 10pm through almost 9am). It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't been attacking at what was apparently hi-traffic times before everybody went to bed (there go Belethor, Adrianne and her husband, Nazeem, etc...) and then from about 7am to 9am when they got just about everybody else.

Needless to say, it was a bizarre run through and I ended up living in Riften (where there were never any vamp attacks at all for the entire playthrough?).

Skyrim does some weird things sometimes. But ya gotta love the variety of weirdness. :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
(there go Belethor, Adrianne and her husband, Nazeem, etc...) and then from about 7am to 9am when they got just about everybody else.

That's one way to get rid of Nazeem
I've gotten really good at fast traveling so that I arrive at 8:03pm, exactly when Nazeem is on his way somewhere (probably the Drunken Huntsman) so that vamps attack and kill him. I never get tired of it. Now, if I could do the same thing to Braith... :)

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
Thats kind of a cool storyline for Rp'ing. A whole town wiped out by vampires... kinda neat.

Pete

I hope you applied the Skyrim patches available off of the Nexus. Mirmulnir says something about you before he dies.

Chadonraz

I hope you applied the Skyrim patches available off of the Nexus. Mirmulnir says something about you before he dies.

The very first mods I downloaded were the five (was initially using the official HD DLC) unofficial patches. Didn't even consider playing without them. :)

I have to say, "Dragon Rising" is much more fun with Mirmulnir's voice acting restored, even though he only has three or four lines (plus the one you mentioned).
Same goes for Sahloknir.

Dovahkiir

If by random hostility you mean casual rascist comments from Stormcloak sympathisers and rude guards, then yes. If you mean the whole of Dragonsreach going apeplops then no, and that would be a bug anyhow.

You're talking about USKP? I have the the patches but I've never gotten close enough to hear him speak, the guards usually finish him off before I can get near. Don't like getting up close and personal with dragons anyhow.

Am going to have to find out now...

Pete

If by random hostility you mean casual rascist comments from Stormcloak sympathisers and rude guards, then yes. If you mean the whole of Dragonsreach going apepl*** then no, and that would be a bug anyhow.

You're talking about USKP? I have the the patches but I've never gotten close enough to hear him speak, the guards usually finish him off before I can get near. Don't like getting up close and personal with dragons anyhow.

Am going to have to find out now...

I'm talking about this Skyrim Patches

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Something similar has happened to me in Riften - about twenty guards randomly spawned in the market and all came after me. I still have no idea why it happened (I'm XBOX so no mods), but it completely broke that play through.

Pete

Something similar has happened to me in Riften - about twenty guards randomly spawned in the market and all came after me. I still have no idea why it happened (I'm XBOX so no mods), but it completely broke that play through.

I've had luck with sleeping / waiting for 24 hrs to have quirks reset

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts