Which is the best type of armor and weapons?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Grimnir

Light Armor vs Heavy Armor

1 Handed Weapons vs 2 Handed Weapons

Which do you think is best for a warrior?

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
heavy armor, especially with that perk that makes it weightless. I like a one handed weapon and a shield. I don't tend to put perks into block, but blocking with the shield is still pretty effective even with no perks and even if you don't block it's still a passive piece of armor, boosting your armor rating, and another piece of armor you can enchant.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Depends on your style. I personally prefer one-handed because of versatility. You can dual wield two weapons, become a mage/warrior hybrid with a spell and sword or use a shield. Two-handed gives you more raw power though.

Heavy armor is better protection and lets a warrior actually get close enough to fight. But it's heavy and slows you down. I suggest getting the Steed Stone ability to make up for it's draw backs until you have perks to make up for them.

Grimnir

heavy armor, especially with that perk that makes it weightless. I like a one handed weapon and a shield. I don't tend to put perks into block, but blocking with the shield is still pretty effective even with no perks and even if you don't block it's still a passive piece of armor, boosting your armor rating, and another piece of armor you can enchant.

Does that perk affect the player's speed too, or just the carry weight?

Here is an interesting theoretical battle

Player A has light dragon armor and a warhammer
Player B has heavy dragon armor and a dagger

Neither is allowed to block, no shield allowed, they both just hack away at each other until one is dead :D

Who would win?

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Does that perk affect the player's speed too, or just the carry weight?

Here is an interesting theoretical battle

Player A has light dragon armor and a warhammer
Player B has heavy dragon armor and a dagger

Neither is allowed to block, no shield allowed, they both just hack away at each other until one is dead :D

Who would win?
it does affect speed, it lets you run as fast as though you were wearing nothing. I'd have to say the player with the warhammer would win.

Yes. The warhammer. Daggers are weak, and only powerful if sneaking. If you would trade the dagger for a sword, the fight would be about even, i guess.

Grimnir

I read a little about there being an armor cap. ~560? cannot remember exact figure

Does this mean that if you have a totally maxed out set of high standard light armor and a maxed out set of high standard heavy armor, you get to the point where being hit by a sword or axe results in exactly same amount of damage, regardless of heavy or light?

This means when maxed out light and heavy are the same in terms of armor and speed (if got weightless perks for both)

So then only difference is noise and aesthetics?

Makes sense because noise only affects Thief play style, so they should pick light. Warrior can pick either light or heavy and just pick which they like the look of best, depending on character :D

Now I am still undecided about which to go for light or heavy :p I like the look of lots of different sets

I prefer heavy armor (my favorite is usually Ebony, because it looks so wicked; I like closed helms), but once I pass level 40 or so, and have the smithing, I make a set of Deadric and wear it now and then. For weapons, one handed, with shield, and a bow. I use Deadric weapons, preferring the war axe and bow. I craft and improve the whole set to legendary, though, sometimes I like to fight with the greatsword or war hammer.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
I read a little about there being an armor cap. ~560? cannot remember exact figure

Does this mean that if you have a totally maxed out set of high standard light armor and a maxed out set of high standard heavy armor, you get to the point where being hit by a sword or axe results in exactly same amount of damage, regardless of heavy or light?

This means when maxed out light and heavy are the same in terms of armor and speed (if got weightless perks for both)

So then only difference is noise and aesthetics?

Makes sense because noise only affects Thief play style, so they should pick light. Warrior can pick either light or heavy and just pick which they like the look of best, depending on character :D

Now I am still undecided about which to go for light or heavy :p I like the look of lots of different sets
yep I foret the exact number but it's ~560, ~570. Haha try a character with no smithing perks! I felt like a tank when I finally got my ebony armor and shielded orc to a 400 armor rating around level 40! Felt satisfying doing it the right way and keeps the game better balanced.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I read a little about there being an armor cap. ~560? cannot remember exact figure.
It's 567 displayed armor rating (the rating that shows up in your inventory window when you highlight a piece of worn armor). The actual armor rating cap is 667. You get 25 extra hidden armor rating points per piece of armor worn. If you're not wearing 4 pieces of armor you're armor rating actually has to be 25 higher than 567 for each piece of armor you aren't wearing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts