Which is better, Oblivion or Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Link

I always wanted oblivion but never got it, i know this doesn't answer your question. But is it worth getting oblivion now?

DryadSpeaks

Killing dragons like it's nobody's business.
I love both!

However, I do wish Skyrim had something like the Imperial City. I miss the Market District!!

And Link, to answer your question...it is definitely worth it! The graphics aren't as good as Skyrim, but it is a REALLY great game to play. I'm actually considering starting a new character this weekend in Oblivion, because I miss playing it.

Kilgore Trout

Article Writer
I'm new so I didn't know where else to post this- but can anyone help me start something to convince Bethesda (a lot of people support) to remake oblivion on the skyrim engine. From what I've heard, the storyline of oblivion sounds cooler, but after playing about five minutes of it, I couldn't help thinking that the way it function was horrible, and also the orcs look like shrek. And besides I heard that they made morro wind over on the oblivion engine (morroblivion, wasn't it?). The people in oblivion look to rounded and clean and you can't tell any difference between the races. So, can anyone help me try and get Bethesda convinced enough to make Oblivirim?

Haplo

playing Skryim makes me miss Oblivion a little, I miss the town of Bravil, I also thought the Dark Brotherhood quests were superior to Skyrim.

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
I feel like Oblivion had a bit more depth of range than Skyrim does. In Oblivion you could experience so many different sceneries, town feels and people, whereas Skyrim seems a bit more one-dimensional.

I do appreciate the more intricate quests of Skyrim, the more challenging adventures and that not every character of each race looks and sounds exactly the same. The graphics are obviously better than they were in Oblivion and that scores major points, but I don't think we could have expected any less with 5+ years of technological advancement since the last Elder Scrolls was released.

I like the features like marriage and more personal relationships in Skyrim that were lacking in Oblivion. The levelling system is far superior in Skyrim and things like alchemy just seem like more fun. But there's just something about Oblivion. I felt more like I was IN the game in Oblivion. It felt a little bit more realistic, for some reason. And that was really cool. Plus, it was significantly less glitchy which just generally led to a better experience.

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
I always wanted oblivion but never got it, i know this doesn't answer your question. But is it worth getting oblivion now?
I would say yes. The graphic quality may not be as great, but it's an awesome story.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
To anyone that says Oblivion is better just because it came out before Skyrim, die.

But I enjoy both. Skyrim is better in oh so many ways, but I started Oblivion yesterday and it's definitely a good game.

Adventurer

Well... I voted I enjoy both and it is not far from the complete truth.

Oblivion was my first TES game. Imagine that I had never played RPG games before only Strategy games and sometimes FPS games here and there. Then I had been shown Oblivion. I started playing and never stopped playing TES games ever since.

Truth is I nearly voted Oblivion. The OP has good arguments in his points but this is also a matter of personal preference. I use Oblivion with Oscuro's mod it is so much better than Vanilla Oblivion.

Oblivion strengths.
------------------

Cyrodiil is my favorite province. I like the lay of the landand the climate much better in Oblivion.

I LOVE the cities od Cyrodiil. Cities in Skyrim are nice but no match. Solitude while nice is by all means no match to the Imperial City. Whiterun is my favorite city in skyrim that is on par with Skingrad, and the other Cyrodiilic cities rest is not really.

The Guilds. I like Oblivion guilds more than Skyrim.
-Dark Bortherhood had my my opinion the best story line I experienced in TES. Skyrim DB while not bad it is no a same category.
-Thieves Guild Both Oblivion and Skyrim Quest line is very good a little edge on Skyrim TG here
-Fighter's Guild definitely the most linear quest in both but I like Fighter's guild more than Companions
-Mages Guild, Again Oblivion quest line is better, you had to do serious effort just to get in the Guild. I like the guild chapers in every major city.
-Arena was nice, I miss that in Skyrim

Main Story, In both games is nice but I like the Oblivion main story better

The mood and feel, both are good but I like Oblivion a little better

Equipment pieces, in Oblivion there were more pieces

Magic, In Oblivion there were more magical specializations

Skyrim Strengths
-----------------

Graphics - I believe there is not much to say

Voice Acting

Civil War background story (No side is perfect)

Radiant quests!!! Very positive in Skyrim Even if you are leader of DB or TG you get missions. Same with bounty on bandits.

Thieves Guild questline, it is the only one that surpasses the Oblivion peer.

Combat is better.

Equal
------
Levelling the character is different in both but good in both. In the beginning character levelling in Oblivion was atrocious but Oscuro's mod solved the issue.

All in all I like both I would love to see Oblivion redone with Skyrim engine. Maybe a DLC about the Great War or Cyrodiil in 4E201 just doing the guilds again etc.

Grob

I played Skyrim first, and got Oblivion about a week ago. And so far, Oblivion is better. I love snow more than forests (probably why I like, erm, Bruma? If thats the one in the Jerrals) but I still like Oblivion. The Storyline seems more gripping so far (I'm up to, erm, Dagon's Shrine?), I really like the Mage's Guild (actually being a no-one at first instead of almost instantly becoming the freaking Arch-Mage), The Arena is FREAKING AWESOME, spell creation and all the rest. Oh, and the cities! Play Skyrim, then play Oblivion, they are SO much better. It doesn't all feel like the same snowy/gray Nordic style. The only thing (for me) better in Skyrim is the flexibility, like I can do a complete run through using the Wabbajack as Sheogorath's Minion. Oblivion just doesn't give that. Oh, and the snow in Skyrim. I liek snow :). Even though I like Oblivion better, they are both amazing games. Now, to buy Morrowind......

Godzillaman 08

Skyrim is my favorite, but I can total see why someone would like Oblivion more than Skyrim, both have their ups and downs.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts