Which is better, Oblivion or Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Wickot

I feel the main storyline is longer, and more enjoyable on Oblivion, while the Skyrim main storyline just kind of... You know, ends? The story isn't very long in Skyrim either, can be completed in a couple of hours if you put your mind to it and know where to go.

As for the side quests and guilds. Oblivion had the Fighters Guild, which is essentially the Companions. However I feel that Skyrim most certainly wins on the sideline story and guilds. For example, the Companions storyline, to me, was more fun than the main quest line. The Thieves guild also, I am yet to do the Dark Brotherhood and the Civil War. :D

Osiris

Child of the Sky
I think Skyrim is better, because its easier to understand and play than having to choose the proper race for a class and such. People like simplicity, and Skyrim makes it so simple and flexible that i can have an Orc mage, High elf warrior, breton thief, etc.

Arachnodite

It's been a long, long time since I've played Oblivion. I do remember being totally engrossed in it, though. I thought the Acrobatics thing was pretty fun. I used to be able to jump in such a way that I could slide up stairs and shoot off them at the top. :p The Thieves Guild stuff was pretty fun in Oblivion, too.

I don't remember the graphics being that terrible, but then again, that was many years ago. I did, however, recently look up pics comparing khajiit in Oblivion to khajiit in Skyrim and holy crap, they were ugly in Oblivion! WOW! Skyrim's khajiit are a ton better. For some reason, I don't remember them looking that bad.

Sadly, I never beat Oblivion. Why? Two words: Oblivion gates. After about the fifth one, I didn't want to go into another one ever again. The gates were repetitive and I absolutely loathed the color of the environment inside. That alone made me burnt out on the game to the point that I stopped playing it.

Skyrim, on the other hand, still has me merrily chugging along after 80-something hours. I'm not bored with it yet and the main storyline is actually interesting. I've only joined the Thieves Guild so far, so I have no opinion on the other guilds.

So while I surely enjoyed Oblivion during the time I played it, I'd have to say that I lean towards Skyrim for overall enjoyment.

Tman2177

Oblivion was a great game, and Bethesda hit home-runs with awesome DLC for it like the shivering isles and knights of the nine. The dark brotherhood was a little more....interesting in Oblivion, you went up the ranks from a murderer to the listener and leader of the black hand itself. Skyrim doesn't have that, that was a great part of Oblivion. The mages guild was a pain in the neck purely because of the trouble of gaining entrance to the arcane university. But once there, it was quite similar to the mages college in skyrim, i think there's a little more to the mages college than there was to the mages guild. The thieves guild was awesome in Oblivion and it was cool to meet the Gray Fox and eventually obtain the Cowl of Nocturnal. The thieves guild in Skyrim is in shambles, no REAL leadership(except maybe Brynjolf)The ratway is an utter pl***hole, and the list of members is full of unsavory people. The quest line is ok but it gets weird once you start hearing of nightengales,but once you reach the end, it makes sense. AND you get a face to face chat with Nocturnal herself, THAT was pretty cool. The only other Deadric Prince you chat face to face with is Sheogorath. It's really difficult to say which game is better, because they're both great games and expansions to a LEGENDARY story. So, to me atleast, it's a tie, they're both AWESOME!

Arachnodite

I just finished a quest where I talked to Sanguine, the Daedric prince of debauchery and hedonism. I won't even say to what levels I stooped to have that privilege. ;)

Tman2177

Damn! I forgot that you get to talk with him face to face too. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi :)
Well, the first thing I'd say, is remember when Oblivion was released, those graphics were leading edge for the time, but it's been 6 years. Skyrim is basically Oblivion refined; the basic premise and quest structure, with the advances that Bethedsa made with Fallout etc, added. I've heard people say that Skyrim is Oblivion with Fallout 3's face on it, but I think it's more than that.

On the magic, I agree with you completely! I was disappointed when I found how alteration and illusion had been changed (IMO, gutted). No more OPEN HARD LOCK! No more GHOSTWALK! Also, no more being able to cast with both a shield and weapon (because, remember, casting was done with RB). That I think, I miss most of all. Could they not have mapped shouts to LB as RB together? Oh well.

I still play Obivion a lot. But Skyrim is my game now :)

Regards

Bruce

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
I remember getting Oblivion when I was like, a pre teen. I played that game nonstop everyday all-day, even though I really didn't know what I was doing as I was new to RPG's, I loves it. Sadly when I grew older and got Skyrim I couldn't connect the same way I did with Oblivion, even though Skyrim in its own right is just as good a game.

However, certain things in Oblivion blow Skyrim out of the water. Firstly, the guild quests were a hundred times better in Oblivion, especially the Dark Brotherhood and the Fighters Guild. (The whole conspiracy with the rival guild was awesome.) Also, Oblivion had a lot more 'little things.' Small details which made the game so much better. Unmarked quests, finding eastereggs and cool areas like Hackdirt (the town full of cultists) all made the game a memorable experience. My favorite thing were the unmarked quests. Finding an abandoned campsite, a journal where the writer talks about mysterious noises and than your attacked by a troll in the area. So awesome.

Sent from HTC app Tapatalk

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Oblivion had a ton of amazing things, like the failed troll Easter egg. A troll that took its own life because no one was afraid of it.

"Mee wurst troll evur
Nobuddy pay brijj tole
Me nott scary enuff."

Best suicide not ever. Poor troll.

Pyrodranox

The king of <insert title here>
I personally have had this problem myself. Unfortunately, they both have extreme pros, and (though few), extreme cons.

In Oblivion, I actually liked the graphics, but they got old, and six years later, Skyrim destroyed the graphics of Oblivion with their killcams and other nice tools. The problem with Skyrim's graphics are that it is just too dark for me. In Oblivion, and I'm borrowing this from the beginning statement, it is like your on acid. How fun! Everything is a far bright of the color. It was pleasant to look at. In Skyrim, it's dark and serious. Come on, their just dragons..... just kidding.

Moving on, I loved Oblivions storyline far better than Skyrims. Skyrim's, in my own opinion, was just too walk here and walk there along with boring talking sequences. Oblivions was full of excitement, and the very end was so much better than Skyrims. You don't kill a dragon, and *SPOILER ALERT*, You make one! It was great.

Both have their ups and downs, but if you can't tell from the article, I think I lean a little bit more towards Oblivion, but I'm willing to play Skyrim any day of the week.

Tman2177

Skyrim is still a young game and Bethesda is still a great game company. There may be a DLC that is released in the near future that fills all of the gaps in skyrim and adds some cool content and awesome quests. We can't know for sure until it is released.

kdshields

Co-founder of Applits.com
I very much enjoyed both games. Obviously, Skyrim looks better and has some improvements over Oblivion. It's a lot newer! But I would have to say that you can't really say either is better. I spent countless hours on both games and had a great time playing them.

Deer Stalker

Ive played more hours on Oblivion than i expect i will play on Skyrim. I agree that the customization of characters in Oblivion made it easier to really get in depth with the characters. But Skyrim also rocks. love hunting in the game, can spend hours just killing deer/elk.

tonamon

Personally, I played more Oblivion than skyrim. I like it better... ( it was on sale for $5 Lool) Also, the fact that it could run on my low-end PC's, and laptops.

moragtong

I love Oblivion and Skyrim, but I'll always have a soft spot for Morrowind. Not only was it my first TES game, but also my first open ended RPG, and it was such a breath of fresh air. I would always think "you mean I can steal anything I want?!" Good times.

nacman99

i say that they both have their ups and downs. i prefer skyrim because it has much more detail, i dont no way did bethesda put so little effort in the details when they did oblivion (when i say detail i mean the voices, the way they walk, their faces, etc..), and its not because the game is older because morrowind was released way back in 2002 (or 2003 i dont remember) and it has so much detail into it.

VKitKat

Most Commonly known as The Dragonborn
My first Elder Scrolls game ever played was Skyrim. I was told to buy Oblivion because "it's just as good". I tried it today and omg... I had to shut it off. To me, graphics are everything. Wish I would have played Oblivion when it first came out instead of after I've played Skyrim. I'll still keep the game I guess. Haven't gotten bored of Skyrim. I keep telling myself, "Okay, after this mission I will save and turn it off." 4 hours later at like 4am I finally force myself to stop playing. It's just as addicting as CoD: MW3 !
Funny... that's EXACTLY my story. my first elder scroll game was Skyrim, and I was so attached to it when I was told to by Oblivion, which I spent all my leftover birthday money on. The second I got to that one place... what, Kvatch? I went into the Oblivion Gate.... OH.MY.GOD. At that point I just could not stand it... I mean, sometimes I just get on it and run around the place only because I've always wanted to explore Cyrodil, playing Skyrim for so long... but really, I say skyrim is FTW!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts