Which is better, Oblivion or Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which is better?

• Total voters

EleanorUnicorn

I had a really vivid dream about the Imperial City last night, so I decided to play Oblivion this morning for the first time since I installed Skyrim in November 2011.. And I was shocked by a few things. Before I start, can I just say that Oblivion is probably my number 1 favourite game of all time (before Skyrim anyway), I played it every day for more than 3 years and it opened up a whole new world of gaming for me. Thankyou Bethesda, I love you <3 Anyway, these are the things that shocked me.

1. The brightness of the world. It's so.. cartoony, I guess, and shiny. Grass is bright green, sky is bright blue, kinda gives you the impression of being on acid.
2. Sadly, the graphics are crap compared to Skyrim which makes it frustrating to play, and you think to yourself 'wtf, I used to think these were the best graphics in the world!'. Trees and shop signs look like they've been painted by a 5 year old. But you still have to give credit to Bethesda, Oblivion was released in 2006 and Cyrodil is absolutely beautiful, the best looking region yet. I wish they would open the borders of Skyrim and Cyrodil, as an expansion for the end of the war or whatever, and everything would be 200 years later.. That would be epic.
3. How skinny the characters are. I was a Bosmer (wood elf) girl in Oblivion, and she looks stunning, like a size zero supermodel with everlasting legs. Or maybe it's cause my Breton in Skyrim looks like a normal, real woman. I don't know.

4. The cities! I've missed the cities so much.. I definetley think the settlements, towns and cities of Cyrodil are much better than Skyrim, they more houses to explore, more shops and people to talk to. My favourite towns were Anvil, Skingrad, Chorrol and the Imperial City. Half of the towns in Skyrim don't have stables or houses for sale, and they're much smaller.. and cold and snowy and miserable. However, dungeons and forts in Skyrim are one hundred times better, because they don't all look the same as each other!

5. Trying to move, open my map/journal. Pressing random letters on my keyboard because I couldn't remember the controls. Keyboard mash.

6. On the same note, trying to attack. Was badass sneak/archer in Oblivion, acustomed to making epic kills, my stealth ensuring I always remain undetected.. Then a lion and wild boar appear out of nowhere (I'd forgotten about them too!) and I'm jumping up and down, zooming in and out, rather than taking them both out in the space of a second. I'm a Breton Mage in Skyrim though, and I love it.

7. On the same note again, Bethesda, why can't we attack from horseback? Seriously? Why do I still have to dismount my horse to kill a wolf (which, by the time you dismount and ready your weapon, has already nearly killed your horse)? Cant I just shoot a quick fireball (or whatever) at him and be on my way?

8. My character walks super fast due to high speed (remember how the levelling up process was different? and we didn't have the perks tree?) and can jump 2 metres high from standing on the spot, due to high acrobatics. Made me laugh, a lot :D Skyrim has a much better levelling up system.

9. The whole ZOOMING IN on peoples faces. Used to seem normal to me, but today it made me laugh. And also, when you talk to people, it's really limited. You can choose 'Rumors' and that's pretty much it, and they never have anything interesting to say. Skyrim is definetley better (and funnier) conversation wise. Where else can you watch an entire tavern fight over a slice of cheese? Also love how random Skyrim is (eg. wandering through the wilderness when you see a noble, a bard and a spriggan fighting a hagraven.. also love watching dragon vs giant fights :D)

10. If you have been playing Skyrim as a Stormcloak, you feel yourself unwillingly hating every single Imperial, and you have to refrain from attacking them on sight. Which isn't very good, seeing as most of the NPCs in Oblivion are Imperial.

11. MAGIC WAS SO MUCH BETTER IN OBLIVION. You had sooooooooo many spells, and mysticism! The Arcane University was awesome compared to the College of Winterhold. And, for the very best of mages, you had that Altar of Spellmaking or whatever it was called, where you could actually create your own spells! WE NEED THIS BACK! Not enough spells in Skyrim! However, I'll admit that enchanting is much better in Skyrim, and the master level spells are amazing. Colours and graphics make being a mage a brilliant choice, definetley worth a try if you've only ever played with a sword/axe/bow before. You can make people go crazy and attack each other, raise zombies to fight for you, summon atronachs to take that particularly hungry dragons attention away, blow your enemies up with fire.. Definetley worth a try if you haven't done so already.

12. Finally, the main quest. I LOVE the main quest in Skyrim, I think it is breathtaking and I love fighting dragons. It's cool how they randomly appear, you hear them roar from a distance and you feel all like 'yeah, come at me bro! let's see what happens!'. Definetly well thought out and written. Main quest in Oblivion was unbelievably monotonous. It's basically 'yeah, the gates of hell are opening everywhere, so you need to go in, fight your way through hell, then grab the stone. fifteen times.' Got kind of boring. End of the game was epic though, when Martin became that gold dragon and had the fight with Mehrunes Dagon. Haven't reached the end of Skyrim yet, so can't compare.

Anyway, that's a few of my thoughts from this morning. I love Oblivion and I always will, but Skyrim is better. I just wish we could cross the border and revisit a modern cyrodil! Let me know your thoughts :)

EleanorUnicorn

I totally agree that both games are unique and both amazing experiences, each with its own atmosphere, and I think that Bethesda are gods on earth for making these games happen, and should be treated as such. Also agree that Oblivion felt like walking in the history of another world filled with mystery, and is still a hundred times better than most modern games being released nowadays. I played for years and I know for a fact that I still haven't discovered everything.. They're both like seperate worlds, on a disk. They are both, as I said, the best games I have ever played. I just wanted to tell people what differences jumped out at me the most when I played Oblivion after months of playing Skyrim instead, and also wanted to find out which one people enjoy playing the best and why, didn't mean to be taken too seriously!

Both are games I like playing but I think Skyrim is actually better. It improves almost everything Oblivion had to offer and then adds to that. Although not that important Skyrim's graphics are helluva lot better, Oblivion's character movement felt unreal, robotic, glitchy and awkward. They are about equal when it comes to the MAIN quest but I still prefer Skyrims'. The characters you meet in Skyrim are also more memorable, deeper and less bland and generic. The orcs, dark elves and khajiit look a helluva lot better in Skyrim and NOT just because of the graphics either it's also their design in general. The guilds are more fun and entertaining and Skyrim in general is just a lot more fun in every way.

Stone

Retired Moderator
I think Oblivion myself. I spent hundreds of hours into that game, probably a thousand or more and never got bored. Continued to create new accs for years.

Skyrim however, I've maxed a char completed all quest lines, done loads of misc stuff, done basically everything you can, made more char's and I just can't get back into Skyrim. Bored of it.

Still enjoy Oblivion after all this time.

Jay-1410

I love both but I was kinda ashamed that there was no unarmed skill in skyrim...and also ashamed that you couldn't dual wield in oblivion so both had their good and bad points

My first Elder Scrolls game ever played was Skyrim. I was told to buy Oblivion because "it's just as good". I tried it today and omg... I had to shut it off. To me, graphics are everything. Wish I would have played Oblivion when it first came out instead of after I've played Skyrim. I'll still keep the game I guess. Haven't gotten bored of Skyrim. I keep telling myself, "Okay, after this mission I will save and turn it off." 4 hours later at like 4am I finally force myself to stop playing. It's just as addicting as CoD: MW3 !

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
i think they both have their strong points, i wish bethesda would have carried more over to Skyrim from Oblivion than they did

Harperlarp

Oblivion was my second favourite game of all time for a couple of years (behind Final Fantasy X) and I knew Skyrim would be better. I believe Skyrim is better than Oblivion in damn near every way. The graphics, sound, voice acting, combat, magic, the list goes on. I do miss a few things from Oblivion though. I miss the music (not saying I don't like the Skyrim music of course). I miss having to actually spend time on the Arcane Univresity, rather than becoming the ArchMage within two days of finding the place. I miss the warm, friendly feel of cyrodiil. I miss my good buddy Thoronir. I miss the imperial city. I miss umbra. I miss the aylied (spelling) ruins.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
I voted that they both have their strong points. For example, Skyrim has incredible graphics, yet Oblivion has a much more vivid landscape. If Skyrim and Oblivion were released at the same time, both with Skyrim's graphics and both with Skyrim's new features, I'd definitely choose Oblivion over it. Sadly, Oblivion's now-poor graphics and repetitive voice acting render it unplayable for me, even if I have sunk over 300 hours into it.

Imagine the Shivering Isles with Skyrim's graphics. :eek:

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Main Quest, Oblivion

Thieve's Guild, Skyrim

Dark Brotherhood, tough choice but I'll go with Oblivion

Fighter's Guild (Oblivion) > The Companions (Skyrim)

Didn't like the Mage's Guild (Oblivion) or the Mage's College (Skyrim)

Oblivion also had the Arena

When it comes to the Questlines, looks like I prefer Oblivion. But, when it comes to dungeon diving and just exploring, I'll have to give it to Skyrim.

EleanorUnicorn

I voted that they both have their strong points. For example, Skyrim has incredible graphics, yet Oblivion has a much more vivid landscape. If Skyrim and Oblivion were released at the same time, both with Skyrim's graphics and both with Skyrim's new features, I'd definitely choose Oblivion over it. Sadly, Oblivion's now-poor graphics and repetitive voice acting render it unplayable for me, even if I have sunk over 300 hours into it.

Imagine the Shivering Isles with Skyrim's graphics. :eek:

OMG you're sooooooooo right! Couldn't agree more, Skyrim should have been TES 4, and Cyrodil should have been TES 5!!! I think Cyrodil was absolutely stunning, and Skyrim is pretty too, but the landscape in Oblivion was waaaaay better, I really miss it but I can't play it anymore, the graphics make it too frustrating for me.. Also agree about Shivering Isles, can you imagine Bliss with all the new graphics and colours? I remember travelling around the Shivering Isles and seeing the bright pink, starry sky and just stopping and staring at it for like half an hour lol.. Would be incredible if updated :)

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I don't understand why Oblivion is suddenly being overlooked just because the graphics are dated. Seriously, if graphics are a big deal for you, you aren't a gamer, sorry. I can pick up the original Super Mario Bros. game and still have a blast. Graphics are not what make Oblivion special (and guess what, I've been popping in Oblivion from time to time, the graphics still impress me), what makes the game special is the storyline of the various quests.

subwizardzero

I don't understand why Oblivion is suddenly being overlooked just because the graphics are dated. Seriously, if graphics are a big deal for you, you aren't a gamer, sorry. I can pick up the original Super Mario Bros. game and still have a blast. Graphics are not what make Oblivion special (and guess what, I've been popping in Oblivion from time to time, the graphics still impress me), what makes the game special is the storyline of the various quests.
Maybe I'm not that big of a gamer, but i like being able to blaze a fatty and get lost in the world of Skyrim because it looks amazing(amongst many other things).I'm not saying Oblivion is bad, I used to really enjoy it but then I just ended up closing Daedric holes repetitively got bored of it. I got Oblivion later, so the graphics were never really up to par with new games coming out btw. As soon as new vegas came out i was all over that.

RBw98

i agree with you, oblivion and skyrim are amazing but they both have their down sides. i prefer oblivion with things l like the Faction Questlines because they're really long, and on skyrim i can finish each faction in a day, but the graphics on skyrim are better and more interesting. oblivion was the first ps3 game i played and it's what got me into gaming in the first place.

Harperlarp

So i got oblivion the other day... And idk if I'm just a noob but holy crap it is hard. 45 minutes in and I'm actually in OBLIVION. I love the game the challenge makes me love it more.

It's awesome. It looks massively dated nowadays, especially now Skyim is a thing. I have to say Skyim is simply a better game but there's plenty of things I miss from oblivion, it has a certain charm no other game has. Also you could make your own spells FTW.

Wenape

It is actually a really hard decision, it depends on many things like: when did you play it, maybe it was your first RPG? What was the hype back then?

At least I voted for Skyrim

Purr

:3
For me, Skyrim is more addictive but I like Oblivion too. Maybe I would think different If I had tried Oblivion before Skyrim... but Skyrim was first Elder Scrolls game that I've been playing. When I first tried Oblivion I was terrified... But when I played more I learned to love it. Still, Skyrim is better and I voted for it. Both have their good and bad points, but for me, Skyrim have more good points. :-)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts