Which house is your favorite? And why?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

XHardcoreX

Nord Warrior
Which house is your favorite? Im looking to buy a new house so im trying to hear peoples feedback on
The house they prefer!

Adam Belmont

In my opinion Breezehome is the best of all houses. It has a chest near the alchemy lab for ingredients and dragon scale or bones, a chest near the bed for unique itens that I dont sell and is the most central of all houses. Fast traveling to Whiterun gets you very close to the house too. But that's for me since I dont care for mannequins and weapons display. I use houses only for storage purposes.

OckhamsFolly

Well, I don't have Hearthfire, nor have I bought all the houses, so I guess I can't give a full answer, but I like both Hjerim and Honeyside.

Hjerim has tons of space, storage, and display mechanisms, so it's great for a collector, plus, as depressing a town as it is, Windhelm has all the important amenities, including a smelter. There are also a wide number of shops in town, including two junk merchants and two raw food merchants, for those who like stews and elsweyr fondue. Downsides are racism and a backdrop that's going to make your character want to kill themselves. You'd think someone would get the idea to brighten the place up a bit.

Honeyside is a bit challenged on storage space (only really matters if you care about separating your goods), but it has all the essentials, plus a respawning garden, tanning rack, access to outside Riften directly from the house, and a cozy, homey atmosphere. Riften is a good town for selling loot, too, especially if you're a TG member. Just don't kill one of the chickens in your garden, as your housecarl will freak out and try to kill you. She calms down if yiu make yourself scarce for a week, so it's not gamebreaking but it is annoying.

Aziah

Of the vanilla houses, my personal favorite is Proudspire Manor in Solitude. It's the most expensive house by far, but it has three floors and it's nice looking on both the outside and inside. All of the houses have pros and cons though.

Breezehome (Whiterun; 5000 gold without add-ons):
Specs: two floors, one of the smallest houses in terms of area, no mannequins for armor display, a few places for weapon display
Description: "homey" lighting, firepit in the middle of the living room, table with benches in the back corner on the first floor, two bedrooms upstairs (one for you, one other), made of stone and wood
Location: favorable location, nice setting, a lot of vendors, multiple blacksmiths, on the main cobblestone path in Whiterun

Honeyside (Riften; 8000 gold without add-ons):
Specs: two floors, about the same size as Breezehome, a few places for weapon display, mannequins and bookshelves
Description: log cabin feel, made of wood, garden on the side with a chicken and collectable plants, upstairs and downstairs porch in the back, which is outside of the city, boat and fish racks, nice layout inside
Location: in Riften so its close to the Thieves Guild, can be entered or exited from either the outside world or the city

Vlindrel Hall (Markarth; 8000 gold without add-ons):
Specs: two floors, larger than Honeyside and Breezehome, kitchen and dining room, bedroom, etc.
Description: dwemer architecture, made of stone, nice view of the reach, easy access to Understone keep, has a cavernous feel with a large main hall, a lot of bookshelves, there isn't much space to display armor but plenty of display places for weapons/shields, dark lighting.
Location: in Markarth, which is not necessarily great but not terrible, definitely in a unique setting, a few vendors nearby

Hjerim (Windhelm; 8000 gold without add-ons):
Specs: two floors, large bedroom, secret room behind a wardrobe in the back left corner of the first floor
Description: similar lighting to Breezehome but a little brighter, very large and spacious, maybe even empty feeling on the first floor, nice setup for displaying weapons and armor on the second floor
Location: its in a little culdesac in Windhelm, near a few other houses, in a snowy and somewhat ominous city, central city for the Stormcloaks

Proudspire manor (Solitude; 25000 gold without add-ons):
Specs: very expensive, three floors, a top floor with two rooms (one is the bedroom), a middle floor with kitchen/dining room, sitting area, and reading area, many places to display weapons or armor, "basement" is floor level, the main entrance is above ground level up some steps, balcony in the back, enchanting room, alchemy room, and storage room in basement
Description: very bright lighting, not as seemingly spacious as Hjerim but still large, made of stone on the inside
Location: in the central city for the imperials, capital of Skyrim, on the main path leading to the Blue Palace, near the Barge's college and a few other houses, a decent amount of vendors

Hope this helps. If you were looking for a description of mods or of Hearthfire plots, this probably wasn't a great help though.

Volanere

Grand Magister
Lakeview Manor by falkreath is my favorite. It seems like there is always good weather and it has a nice view toward the rear of the house. Plus not many attacks from bandits and giants.

Saozig

Hippy
Windstad Manor is the one with the fishery--it's actually in Hjaalmarch hold, and you get it through the Jarl of Morthal. But you can see Solitude from it. It's my favorite Hearthfire house too.

Of the regular hold house, I really like Hjerim, because it's roomy and open and has a cool armory, although I rarely get it because it's in Windhelm and I hate how it located way in the back corner of the city, and it's a pain to purchase. Vindrel Hall is really nice too, it's roomy, has tons of bookshelves and nice layout, the housecarl's cool and it's relatively easy to get, but it's in my least visited capital city (Markarth) so I hardly use it.

Honeyside is great if you're in Riften a lot--easy to get, not expensive and has a backdoor you can use without having to enter the city. Annoying downside is Riften doesn't have a smelter so you have to go to Shor's Stone if you need one.

Proudspire Manor is overrated, IMO, but Jordis my favorite Housecarl and it's nice to not have to stay at the Winking Skeever every time I'm in Solitude. Also, no smelter in the city or even in Dragon Bridge. In fact the closer smelter (if you don't have Winstad Manor) is in the orc stronghold Mor Khazgur . So, that hose is not a greta location if you need a smelter a lot.

But honestly, I use Breezehome the most--it's in Whiterun so it's in a good central location for most of my characters' activities, and you only need about 7000-7300g to get it complete with furnishings. It just sucks a little because it is the smallest house, and can feel a bit cramp (especially with Lydia there all. the. time.) and it's the only house that doesn't have an enchanter.

XHardcoreX

Nord Warrior
Of the vanilla houses, my personal favorite is Proudspire manor in Solitude. It's the most expensive but it has three floors and it's nice looking on the outside and in. All of the houses have pros and cons though.

Breezehome (Whiterun; 5000 gold without add-ons) least expensive and has two floors, but it's in a great city with a lot of vendors and multiple blacksmiths. It doesn't have any mannequins either for armor display, and only a few places to display weapons. There's also a firepit in the middle of the living room, which can be good or bad depending on your view. Not exactly a fancy house but its homey and has a favorable location.

Honeyside (Riften; 8000 gold without add-ons): two floors and not much bigger than Breezehome. It's in Riften so its close to the Thieves Guild. There is a nice layout inside and it has a log cottage feel on the outside. There is a porch and dock in the back, which is unique as well because you can enter and exit the house through the city or through the outside. Also has a garden.

Vlindrel Hall (Markarth; 8000 gold without add-ons): dwemer architecture and made of stone. Nice view of the reach and access to Understone keep. Larger than Honeyside and Breezehome, has a lot of bookshelves but there isn't much space to display armor but plenty of display places for weapons/shields.

Hjerim (Windhelm; 8000 gold without add-ons): its in a little culdesac in Windhelm, near a few other houses. It's arguably better than Proudspire with a more spacious feel to it. There is a hidden room behind a fake wardrobe which is pretty cool. There are two floors, both of which are large and spacious. There is a nice setup/layout for displaying weapons and armor also.

Proudspire manor (Solitude; 25000 gold without add-ons): very expensive but worth it. It is located in the city and has three floors which is nice. The "basement" is really floor level, and the main entrance is up some steps. There is a balcony in the back with a view, but no garden. There is a nice enchanting room in the basement and a lot of spaces to put armor or weapons. On the top floor there is a small room with a table in it, and there's also a door that leads to the main bedroom. There's a kitchen, reading area, and sitting area in the middle floor, and the rooms aren't really separated by walls.

Hope this helps. If you were looking for a description of mods or of Hearthfire plots, this probably wasn't a great help though.

No that was perfect! Thank you!

OckhamsFolly

But honestly, I use Breezehome the most--it's in Whiterun so it's in a good central location for most of my characters' activities, and you only need about 7000-7300g to get it complete with furnishings. It just sucks a little because it is the smallest house, and can feel a bit cramp (especially with Lydia there all. the. time.) and it's the only house that doesn't have an enchanter.

Next time, just take Lydia out with you and discreetly... terminate her service.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I love Honeyside best, with Breezehome coming in at a close second. They were both cozy little homes for me and my husband to lock ourselves away from the cares of the world, back during my very first game. Ah, memories.

ness91

Dovah do faal Brom
Since hearthfire is not out for the ps3, i'll go with Hjerim because of all the storage and you can show-off a lot of weapons and armor. but remember that the two dagger cases in the master bedroom are buggy. every time i but something in them, i can never retrieve them.

Uthgerd's, it's free, and easy to get at low level, even without doing the Main Quest in case you don't feel like getting killed by Dragons. The Unbroken makes a decent Housecarl, comes with 3 pieces of Steel Plate, and there's Warmaiden's right down the stairs from it. You can also inform Nazeem that yes, you do, in fact Live in the Cloud District, thank you very much.

aussiegirlz

Breezehome is my favorite house - might have been Lakeview but with all the bugs others have had I am too afraid to move in there for fear of a freeze loosing all my goodies. Otherwise Breezehome has everything I need, with lots of merchants close by a fence just outside the town. Inside the house there is plenty of storage - cupboard just inside door for stuff I intend to sell, satchel on the alchemy table is the best thing ever - a chest in the alchemy room to store weapons and other items to hang onto - kitchen storage - in the bedroom there is plenty of outfit storage, jewelry storage, dragon mask storage. And a whole bunch of random storage chests thru-out for other baubles and whatnots.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Well I would say Vlindrel hall is my favourite house, Perfect for a Scholar (;)) It has everything you need, the very fact that its made by the dwemer makes you feel safe.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Vlindrel Hall (Markarth) is my favorite standard Thane home, but I'm loving Lakeview manor after buying Hearthfire a few days ago.

XHardcoreX

Nord Warrior
Sooo.. I was about to buy the markarth house, but then i realized.. Im NEVER in markarth so why would i want a house there? And honestly its not a favorite town of mine either. I mean i looked at pics if the house, and it looks nice as hell, its just the town that keeps me from not buying it.

Moris

I like Breezehome because I can wuld nah kest my way to the forge when I'm grossly overencumbered.

Windhelm, second best, because unlike Riften and Solitude, there is a smelter in town, plus lots of merchants.

For aesthetics, I love Honeyside. However, I don't particularly appreciate the combination of a lack of bedroom doors and a very stern housecarl who likes to watch me sleep. The containers around the alchemy and enchanting areas are sadly lacking. Not as bad as the Solitude house, but inadequate nonetheless.

Wildroses

Who'd want to live in Markarth? The people who aren't corrupt are secret Forsworn agents or secret cannibals. Even if you killed the entire city, you'd still be stuck with having the Daedric Prince of Domination and King of Rape as a neighbour.

I also didn't like Proudspire Manor much because it made me feel awful. I have a spacious three story house and make my Housecarl sleep in a bed roll in the cellar?

If you adopt children, so far I'm finding Lakeview Manor is the best. They like living there because the lake is pretty. Move them to another Hearthfire property and its: "Waah, there's a monster in the swamp, waah, it's too cold." The weather is also nicer in Lakeview Manor. There is too much rain and snow in the other two.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts