• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Travitor

I have been playing Skyrim without any of the DLCs for a long time, my archer build has over 300 hours play time, also my mage build has over 100 hours. decided to get one of the DLCs because I ran out of quests, but which one is best? I will get all eventually, but was wondering which was best to get first.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Dragonborn without a doubt, It gives a whole new Region to explore, the nostalgia filled island of Solstheim. Many new shouts, weapons, armors and Spells. Not to mention Apocrypha, oh and Neloth I friggin love that dunmer bastard.

Dawnguard adds some little bonuses for vampires, a little backstory on the Falmer and Crossbows....that's about it.

Both are good, however 20$ is bit steep for Dawnguard if you ask me.

Gothic90

Dawnguard is meh. It has Serana, a good character, has new weapon: crossbows and two interesting perk trees (vampire lord and werewolf), but in terms of content it is really lacking for its price, which is still $20. Only one major quest line and not much else.

Dragonborn has lots of side quests and side dungeons, combat can get quite challenging sometimes, so depending on how much you like dungeon crawling, you'll probably like DB, or not.

As for loot, both DLCs have items for crafters and non-crafters both.

So it comes down to feature vs. content. Depends on what you like more. But I would probably advise getting a new character if you want to fully experience using those perks in DG.

Hearthfire is like a quality of life addon that allows you to build and customize a house from scratch and adopt children. A minor addon, some would argue it is comparable to some mods on Nexus for PC players, though it costs only $5.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
I got Dawnguard and must admit to being quite...unmoved by it. I like the armour and the general concept, but it lacks any real depth or development - not for the money you pay anyway.

I've not yet played Dragonborn though...I've been too busy of late to dedicate myself to a lengthy quest.

sticky runes

Dawnguard is NOT the best. Whether you choose to join the Dawnguard or Vampires, you still end up doing the same major quest and having to travel with that annoying vampire bitch, and some of the quests you do with her are obnoxiously long, which I personally found to be a real turn off.

I thought Dragonborn was much better. I found the new characters we meet on Solstheim much more appealing, a lot of thought was put into them. and the island itself is stunning, it's like giving your character a holiday away from Skyrim to go and explore a whole new RPG.

Gothic90

What I think about Dawnguard is that it's not a content DLC but a feature based DLC.
When I started playing DG I was level 50 and never got a chance to fully experience the two perk trees, those vampire and werewolf spells and attacks just hit high level Bandit Marauders or Forsworn Briarhearts for laughable damage without perks.

But I started a new char, and started adding werewolf perks immediately after I got into the inner circle of companions. It felt much more powerful. I've yet to progress further with that character, but that is how I felt so far.

The usefulness of both trees is still questionable (lol no damage to undead and dwarven Automatons), and the price is still hardly justifiable though.

Serperior

Dawnguard gives you fancy crossbows and vampires. Hearthfire gives you somewhat customisable houses. Dragonborn gives you new story, a house, an Island with tons of new locations. What one stands out.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts