Which city in Skyrim do you like most?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which city in Skyrim do you like most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShadowGambit

Whiterun because it is central and has everything.

A Player House, 3 Blacksmith, 1 Fletcher, 1 Alchemy merchant, 1 Spell merchant, 1 General good merchant. It is also very close from Riverwood, where you can get another Blacksmith and another General good merchant.

The Jarl there also cares for his people so that reflects on the city.

Finally, it is not "cold" as other cities.

I actually think that Whiterun would be a nice Capital.

Xerkos333

I would say Falkreath because i like the Pine Forest region BUT there is very little in Falkreath itself. Apart from an Alchemy Table and a Blacksmith, there isn't much to do. Not to mention there isn't a house there either.

Riften is fairly nice and the Fall Forest is fun to run around (not as good as the Pine Forest, but still nice) and there is more in the actual city itself which is where Falkreath lacked. There is almost one of every store but no Smelter which is annoying at times.

Whiterun has the best city IMO with tones of stores, a Blacksmith, Alchemy table, Smelter and everything in between. But i dont really like the tundra. Its very dull and plain.

Lol as you can see im torn between surrounding environment and actual city xD

XELI

Well ShadowGambit is right...love Whiterun too and it's more beautiful like other cities...

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
Hard question. I like Markarth's atmosphere, but I really like Windhelms art direction, but I really like Riftens layout, but I really like Morthal's village-on-the-water thing its got going, but......

I think every city has something going for it. I'm going to say Morthal, just simply because that's where I was last, it was night time and due to some of the mods I was using the auroras were reflecting in the water. It looked amazing.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Whiterun's the best, do I need to tell why after ShadowGambit?

Windhelm- Lots of shops and two stalls where I can actually sell Dragon drops. Too snowy

Winterhold- Lacks a city.....

Falkreath- Booooooorinnggg

Solitude- Nice city, only like it for Proudspire Manor and it's looks.

Markarth- Corrupt, Stony, Congested. I tried to escape the city in the night and I ended up dying in the pond below the smelter

Morthal- Boooooooring. Except for vampires

Riften- 50/50

Dawnstar- Boooooooriiinng

EleanorUnicorn

Hmmm, tough question.. tbh, all the cities have different good and bad points, and each have their own atmosphere. For me, it's a tough call between Whiterun and Solitude (I voted for Whiterun though). I suppose I like Whiterun the best because it has everything there is to offer, is pretty much central in the map, is connected to lots of roads, has loads of surrounding farms and it's pretty impressive to view from the outside. Also, as the first city you visit in the game, it kind of has a special place in your heart and feels more like home than any other city in the game (admit it, remember when you were playing your first skyrim game, and you saw the stables and how the city looked from outside, and the excitement of it all :)). I think Solitude is beautiful, especially the houses and the rooftops and the whole medieval feel to it, Katlas farm is a nice touch and there are enough shops I suppose.. but it also feels lacking somehow, as if there's too much space that could be put to better use, and it feels far too empty to be the capital. Only one tavern? No slums, or shady parts of the city? No underclass? Solitude would be amazing if it had an arena, after all it's supposed to be an Imperial city! Still beautiful though.

EleanorUnicorn

Also would like to add that the cities in Skyrim are waaaay smaller than Oblivion, which I found really disappointing! I mean come on, how hard would it have been to add stables and a player house to each city! Seriously!

stagnant94

Dawnstar: i like that it was out of the way but quite nice. plus the DB sanctuary is there

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
Oh, that's a tough question! The people in Whiterun are generally nice and there is easy access to merchants and crafting tools, but the scenery is so-so and the house is puny. As far as aesthetics I prefer Markarth; it just looks so ancient and fascinating. Unfortunately, many of the people there are rude. Windhelm offers a fabulous house, but the segregation of the Dunmer and Argonians is really depressing to see. Riften is okay; not much to do there (except join the Thieves Guild), but some decent NPCs. Solitude is beautiful and you can get a nice home there, but I generally avoid that city just because of the proximity to the Thalmor Embassy. The only thing of interest in Winterhold is the college. I don't much care for Morthal, Dawnstar or Falkreath.

I'm gonna go with Whiterun as my overall favorite, with Markarth coming in a close second.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
Markarth is my favourite city, for two reasons. The house is the best in my opinion, it has vast amounts of storage, probably the most out of all of the houses. As I am a collector, storage is absolutely essential for me.

In the bedroom, I have a draw for Jewels(Rubys, Sapphires), I have a draw for dragon claws, I have another draw for my masks(priests & clavicus vile).. I use the chest for valuable items like the Falmer eyes, and other things. And then the wardrobe is used for all my valuable/rare armour. The alchemy table also has a satchel near it :D And two barrels for potions :D

The second reason is I think the city looks the best, a stone city build into the side of a mountain, can you really get much cooler than that? I also have an alchemy store and a goods store too.

-

My second favourite has to be Whiterun though, for all of the reasons stated by the others. It should be the capital imo.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I gotta say that my favorite has to be Riften, I love Honeyside, I love the guild, Hell I even love the black-briars, and the general style of the quests in the city fit my style quite well, plus when I get bored I go hunting and Riften is in a great location for that.
Whiterun and Markarth tie for second place, but they just don't match up to Riften

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
This is a real tough one for me. I would have said Whiterun, but I find myself annoyed when it comes to trying to sell stuff or enchant things. Every thing is there, but it's all so inconveniently far away.
I decide I like Windhelm. The enchanting table behind the High Elf in the market is rather convenient. Then the forge is a feet away and then to the left is the potions shoppe. There is also another shop in the Grey Quarter which is useful if the other merchants run out of coin.
The house there is quite huge, and I enjoy how the crafting room is a secret room. The final bit about that house which I enjoy is the incredible amount of book space it has. I was right in love with it once it was fully furnished.

Now if there was one thing I could change about Windhelm, it would be that Ulfric had been "born to Jarl" somewhere else.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I'm with RedNek on this one, gotta be Riften for me.

Once you get the TG back into former glory, the town gets a lot more interesting.

Amenities:
Honeyside: Alch Table, Enchanting Table, two "mind-of-their-own" Mannequins, Weapon Display Racks, Iola the Housecarl, Outdoor Garden (complete w/CHICKEN!)
Thieves Guild: Alchemy Table, Fence, Three Smiths, Alchemist, Sneak Trainer, Archery Trainer, Pickpocketing Trainer, Lockpicking Trainer, Free Arrows!
Riften Marketplace: Smith, General Goods Merchant (Grelka), Jeweler, Food Merchant, Smith Trainer, Light Armor Trainer.
Riften Town: General Goods Merchant (Pawned Prawn), Alchemist
Mistveil Keep: Court Wizard, Alchemy Table, Enchanting Table
Temple of Mara: Blessing of Mara, Marriage, Amulet of Mara
Talos Shrine: Blessing of Talos

Followers:
Mjoll the Lioness (Warrior)
Marcurio (Mage-type Mercenary)
Iola (Housecarl)

Intriguing Questlines:
Thieves Guild
Temple of Mara
Mark of Dibella
Unfathomable Depths (Lexicon)

Social Life:
Riften has by far the most interesting interactions between NPCs. Maven Black-Briar alone has so many interesting quips as she visits with the other NPCs. In what other city does one resident call another a "whore"? She also grills Madesi about denying her son's purchase of some jewelry.

The interactions with NPCs during the Mark of Dibella questline as well as the Temple of Mara (pamphlet) quest is just hilarious!

Starting fights over dropped cabbage is particularly interesting in The Bee and Barb. The Inn is packed during late-night dinner hour.

Random In-Town Battles:
THIEVES! It's so damn funny when you're visiting some Riften residents in their homes and you see a thief running around inside their house! You can either let the guards take care of the thief or you can put your own blade to work and loot the typically-profitable corpse.

Brawling:
Get your rage out vs. Hofgrir Horse-Crusher at the Riften Stables!

Strange Family Tree:
The Black-Briar family. In some dialogue Sibbi seems to be Maven's grandson, but in others he's her son. Game-of-Thrones style intrigue anyone?

Unique Quest Rewards & Various Loot:
Gloves of the Pugilist
Thieves Guild Armor Set
Nightingale Armor Set
Nightingale Bow
Nightingale Sword
Chillrend
Grimsever
Eyes of the Falmer
Skeleton Key
Ancient Knowledge Active Effect
Various Nightingale "Gifts" - Agent of Subterfuge, Agent of Strife, or Agent of Shadow
Crown of Barenziah
"The Pig Children" - Book

The biggest CON to Riften: No smelter. Closest smelter located @ Shor's Stone.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
Random In-Town Battles:
THIEVES! It's so damn funny when you're visiting some Riften residents in their homes and you see a thief running around inside their house! You can either let the guards take care of the thief or you can put your own blade to work and loot the typically-profitable corpse.

I totally overlooked this when making my decision. Those thieves are hilarious!

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
Random In-Town Battles:

The first time I ran into one I had no idea what was going on. I just saw this hooded dude running around in Balimund's shop. When I approached him I saw the thief tag and it pissed me off 'cause I like the blacksmith. So I killed the thief. He had some decent loot on him.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
The first time I ran into one I had no idea what was going on. I just saw this hooded dude running around in Balimund's shop. When I approached him I saw the thief tag and it pissed me off 'cause I like the blacksmith. So I killed the thief. He had some decent loot on him.
The first time I saw a thief, I was pretty trigger happy with my fireballs and kinda wasted a few NPCs, the guards were not pleased :sadface:

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I still wonder who these "Thieves" are anyway. They just wanna-be TG members? Who authorized these burglaries?

Imma have to have a word with Vex.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Winterhold.

It's a ghost town in the shadow of a gothic looking castle/college. The sun is always hidden. It's always snowy and gray. Pale.The people live in resentment and fear due to the events they've suffered through. Reminds me of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Love it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts