• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
Hey, does anyone know where I could get Arena or Daggerfall (for PC)? They aren't on Steam, and I can't really imagine a game store having 'em...
So where?

Morganatic

Kinetically-Interlinked Nirnian Multi-User Exoform
Daggerfall and Arena can be found here and here respectively; both can downloaded legally and for free! Needs a DOS emulator to run, though, and so takes a bit of setting up.

Battlespire and Redguard are a bit (a lot) harder to get running. Neither is on the Elder Scrolls website, and with good reason - they're legendarily buggy and difficult to get to run. Battlespire, if you get your hands on it, can just about be coaxed to run. I used the following guide, and it works on a 'crash every 15 minutes' level:

Download the Battlespire patch and save for later.
Before you start DOSBox, use a text-editor and set fullresolution=640x480 in the dosbox.conf file to properly enable full-screen mode for the game.
Start DOSBox, switch to drive D: and type install.
Choose "Install Battlespire".
Accept the installation directory (or change it according to your preference).
Wait.
Select "Bypass".
Configure sound:
Choose "Select and configure digital audio driver".
Choose "Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 or AWE32".
Choose "Attempt to configure sound driver automatically".
Choose "Done".
Enable captions and childguard at your discretion.
Quit the installer.
(Recommended) In Windows, apply the Battlespire patch by extracting batpat15.zip to C:\Documents\DOS\batspire.
Run Battlespire by typing spire. Ignore the DPMI warning if it appears.

Redguard is tough - it was built around a very specific Windows 95 distribution system, and doesn't play well with emulators/DOSbox at all - you kinda need to be running a genuine Windows 95 machine or you'll have a lot of problems. I managed to just about coax it into life on my laptop, following this guide, but it constantly spawned me several miles above the level whenever I loaded a new game, leading me to plummet to my inevitable death each time. Even if you do get it running, I think it will inevitably crash once you try to enter Clavicus Vile's realm, so it's not really worth the bother.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts