• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LoadZ

OK this is getting ridiculous.

So far, I've bought TWO horses, and gotten TWO unique, one of a kind horses from quests, and all four times they've just up and DISAPPEARED on me.

It always happens after I encounter a dragon while on my horse. It's really annoying because dragon encounters are so frequent and annoying anyway that usually I'm not even trying to fight the dragon to begin with. But the game FORCES me to, so I get off my horse to go fight him, and then my horse is GONE forever. And I know the dragon didn't kill him because I was mercing the dragon, and there's no horse corpse anywhere!! :sadface:

Bethseda, my only question is........ Why?!

Dyun27

OK this is getting ridiculous.

So far, I've bought TWO horses, and gotten TWO unique, one of a kind horses from quests, and all four times they've just up and DISAPPEARED on me.

It always happens after I encounter a dragon while on my horse. It's really annoying because dragon encounters are so frequent and annoying anyway that usually I'm not even trying to fight the dragon to begin with. But the game FORCES me to, so I get off my horse to go fight him, and then my horse is GONE forever. And I know the dragon didn't kill him because I was mercing the dragon, and there's no horse corpse anywhere!! :sadface:

Bethseda, my only question is........ Why?!

Have you tried fast traveling to a town and looking in the stables? How about going back to the town where you bought the horse? That's how I usually find mine, though I REALLY wish there was a button to whistle and have the horse come back to you. I notice that when I'm fighting dragons and I leave him somewhere, I can't find him again due to the landscape being so repetitive in some areas. That's when I have to fast travel somewhere to get him back.

jaxx0rr

Have you tried fast traveling to a town and looking in the stables? How about going back to the town where you bought the horse? That's how I usually find mine, though I REALLY wish there was a button to whistle and have the horse come back to you. I notice that when I'm fighting dragons and I leave him somewhere, I can't find him again due to the landscape being so repetitive in some areas. That's when I have to fast travel somewhere to get him back.
what is wrong with you.. ofc he tried that...

anyway

I also got my horse to disappear on me.. what I did:
1.saved game
2.loaded previous game where horse was there
3.activated console and found out its ref-id by clicking on it
4.loaded latest game
5.typed in console: "player.moveto horse-ref-id" where horse-ref id is the number I found earlier (000XXXXX)
6. got my damn horse back.. it was in Kynesgrove (wtf?! stolen maybe)
and its moving around slowly.. that's weird..

nix-nein-never

whistling/calling for the horse, like Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, (even Gandalf can do it haha), would be fantastic, surely quite easy to implement?? If a courier can race across the map and magically find you in the wilderness, your horse should be able to , too

rvk5150

I agree with this; the first horse I purchased had this problem then it got killed...since obtaining and keeping Frost though I have not had that problem.

Frost not only sticks around after you hop off but he fights your enemies also! He is great although I am always nervous he will get killed.

Halkin

pzzzztt
ah i see, this animal with a mind of its own wanders off. i wonder why that is. if you could manually stable it i wouldnt have a problem, but to quote a great many devs working as intended or undocumented feature

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The horses of Skyrim (or their coding, take your pick) collectively suck except for Shadowmere. I want a solution that us console players can also enjoy. So far, the best solution I've found is to not buy a horse in the first place. They're a waste of gold. You can't perform ANY actions while riding one, you can't even use them to store stuff unless they're DEAD, and as mentioned, they love to wander off. :rolleyes: This is utter crap because I've run across dead bandits with a horse nearby which I can take with no stealing penalties yet as soon as I dismount, it immediately takes off, presumably to stand faithfully over the body of it's dead master like a watchdog. o_O

Their only practical ability is that they can scale mountains more easily than I can.

whiskey

Because I had heard about people's horses wandering off I decided the only horse I'd have is Shadowmere who happily waits for me outside whereever I am and fast travels with me.

sml-2727

The only horse you will ever need is Shadowmere, all others suck. Back on topic, I know what you mean about disaparing horses, even worse was when I couldn't find my follower. Ended up he was hunting for dragons with the blades (true story). I was randomly walking around looking for plants (quest) and saw three characters in the distance, out of nowhere one charges at me, I draw my sword and he stopped and says "what do you want me to do?". I was like there you are. then decided to kill him for abandoning me...lol

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
They fell off the face of the earth in a horse blackhole...
Bleh that sounds nasty..

rvk5150

I do not have Shadowmere yet so I cannot say but as stated earlier Frost is a great horse that is 100% loyal to a fault; I have had to re-load a previous save because he is overagressive in attacking enemies when he shouldn't (dragons) and unfortunately gets himself killed.

I would never buy/pay for a horse again....I agree that it is a complete waste of money.

Ironclad

Shadowmere never dies.

Maybe not but this horse has totally vanished on me, I was doing a simple Liberate the Fort quest & left her at the foothill. She did charge in but it was only archers and the like, so the fort was taken quickly. But Shadowmere was nowhere to been seen.
For several days, if I fast travelled, a plain old horse would appear (and slowly walk away) but never Shadowmere. But now I have no horse appearing.
The Sanctuary has now been moved, does Shadowmere vanish for evah after this event?

Shadowmere disappeared on me as well I play on the Xbox so no console commands to get him back. I think he took off when a dragon attack me and ran after him when he flew off, I didn't have time to kill the dragon. Then I went to every town in hopes of finding him, after a weeks of playing I just gave up on ever see my beloved house again then one day I was climbing a mountain I heard a roar from a dragon then I turned around to see my horse shadowmere still defending me it was one the greatest moments to ever happen to me in Skyrim. Me and shadowmere have been inseparable ever sense.

Fredrick Louis

Shadowmere disappeared on me as well I play on the Xbox so no console commands to get him back. I think he took off when a dragon attack me and ran after him when he flew off, I didn't have time to kill the dragon. Then I went to every town in hopes of finding him, after a weeks of playing I just gave up on ever see my beloved house again then one day I was climbing a mountain I heard a roar from a dragon then I turned around to see my horse shadowmere still defending me it was one the greatest moments to ever happen to me in Skyrim. Me and shadowmere have been inseparable ever sense.

You are lucky. I lost him and months ago and have given up finding him.

Cyren

My first play through my Shadowmere vanished outside a cave. I searched and searched and finally gave up. I accidentally shot him while he was standing in a river a distance away. Now I have lost him this play through fighting a dragon on Mount Anthor... I went to a city, waited 10 days, he never returned, checked all the stables, checked the mountain, checked the DB pool he originally came out of, and no horse. I have Frost now, but left him at a stable because he also got killed easily my first play through.

I keep hoping I find my beautiful steed, but my hopes are fading now.

MaeTheImperial

Imperial Dragonborn .-.
I had a horse and I lost him near Sky Haven Temple. Later on in the game, I found him again. He just reappeared. So I rode to Winterhold, and he vanished again. A few minutes later, he appeared again. And now he's vanished. Maybe for good, who knows. It's the horse from Whiterun Stables. .-.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts