When to start civil war quest? (RP question.)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Torok

I plan to have my character realize he's the Dragonborn, do some of the main quest and then before finishing realizing that the land needs to be united against the dragons and not divided against itself. He's a Breton and hates when lands are torn by war and divided. So when within the main story line would be a good place to pause with the story and go reunite the land?

Sqeagy

The Gentle Utensil
There's actually a part of the game where if you didn't start or finish the civil war quest line you can start a temporary truce until the dragon problem is dealt with.

xsneakyxsimx

Mechanics wise, you have to at least start the Civil War quest to be able to proceed past a certain point of the Main Quest (where you need to capture a dragon in Dragonsreach). Plus there is also the fact of finishing the Civil War quest-line skips a relatively minor quest within the Main Quest (Quest name: Seasons Unending). Lore-wise... I don't really know. Perhaps after saving Kynesgrove you can say that you felt the need to talk to Jarl Ulfric? I'm not much of a Roleplayer, so I don't know what you'd be wanting for an answer.

Adam Warlock

If you are going to RP that the dragons might influence the side of the civil war you join , I would think that after Diplomatic Immunity you would realize that neither side is behind Alduin`s reappearance.

The major difference that Season Unending makes is that the entire Civil War is on hold until Alduin is defeated.
Your described character would likely rather quell the rebellion or oust the Imperials before that.
Completing the Civil War sometime before completing Alduin`s Bane in the Main Quest line might suit you best.
This also allows you to meet certain of your civil war foes in Sovngarde when you get there and I think you`ll be interested in what they have to say.

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
What I did was wait until after I finished Alduin's Wall, as by then my character had read Ulfric's Dossier in the Thalmor Embassy during Diplomatic Immunity and had learned of the danger Alduin posed from Esbern in A Cornered Rat. To me it makes sense as by doing the civil war questline after gaining such information because not only would the Dragonborn strike a blow against the Thalmor by ending the conflict quickly but he would also potentially save a lot of lives and limit Alduin's power by giving him less souls to devour.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
It also depends on how easily you want to mow down your opponents, and if you want to wage cool magic on them, if you like that sort of thing. I usually like to have good archery skills and pick people off from a safe distance. With my current character, I used two-handed and waited til that was at level 70 so I can mow several people down at once--although I didn't get to use that as much as I wanted to, because I would have sliced off the heads of my bretheren that get in the way.

Torok

What I did was wait until after I finished Alduin's Wall, as by then my character had read Ulfric's Dossier in the Thalmor Embassy during Diplomatic Immunity and had learned of the danger Alduin posed from Esbern in A Cornered Rat. To me it makes sense as by doing the civil war questline after gaining such information because not only would the Dragonborn strike a blow against the Thalmor by ending the conflict quickly but he would also potentially save a lot of lives and limit Alduin's power by giving him less souls to devour.

I like your idea the best. You make a good point.

Not to say that anyone else didn't have good points too. Thank you everyone. I was stuck on this for a while.

Adam Warlock

Gotta agree this is a great spot .
Also allows you to recruit Blades between raids on enemy forts if you want

Torok

I will never be able to deal with the Blades after what they said. And you all know what they said...
Even if I have a mod that allows me not to kill Paarthurnax and still allows me to help the Blades I don't help them. My mind is in complete hatred for them after this.

DestroyerDevourMaster

I will never be able to deal with the Blades after what they said. And you all know what they said...
Even if I have a mod that allows me not to kill Paarthurnax and still allows me to help the Blades I don't help them. My mind is in complete hatred for them after this.

Ever notice how they ask you to kill the Old One but not the former right hand of Alduin who they know is alive? What's up with that?

Torok

The Old One is the former right hand of Alduin.

DestroyerDevourMaster

The Old One is the former right hand of Alduin.

That's true but my point is that they demand Paarthurnax's death, yet they pay little to no attention to the most recent right hand, Odahviing despite him being both a dragon and no doubt just as much as an offender.

Torok

I see, that is true. Perhaps they don't know that Odahviing is now an ally.

Indri Master

Dremora
It's probably because they know the location of Paarthurnax.

Torok

Delphine mentions that she heard about the Dragonborn riding on the back of a dragon. She never asked "Did you kill the dragon afterwards?"
And I bet she would too....

J

Jeremius

unfortunately, there is no proper answer to this. Just pick a time to do it and let it happen.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
When I first started playing Skyrim I never even knew about "Season Unending" because I always finished the civil war quest before I trapped Odahviing. When I found out I did it once, just to play it, I found it tedious. It was interesting, diving up the holds between the two fractions though. But I never played it again. I always finish the war before continuing on with the main quest.

As long as you finish it before you go ask the Jarl if you can use his palace as a giant mouse trap, then anything you RP is fine.

DestroyerDevourMaster

Just remember to do certain quests beforehand if they interest you like The Whispering Door. It's not like you can't do them after the war but depending on who you side with certain characters get moved all over the place and it makes the quests more tedious and sort of screws with the roleplay bit.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts