Quest What's your tactic against the Ebony Warrior? Spoilers

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I ask because he's so tough that people must try all manner of things to beat him especially on master or legendary difficulties.

This time through I wanted to defeat him without weapons because I'd always played as a warrior before but wanted my high elf to be a battle-mage. I'd also never beaten him on legendary (I don't think) and wanted to set this right, too.

In the end, the armour didn't come into play at all, except as a means of getting free destruction spells.

I got thumped first time around, although I did give him a run for his money.

Next time through I had a brain-wave...

I summoned Ohdaviing! The old dragon was magnificent. He totally distracted the warrior with fire breath, or landing in front of him and biting him. This left me free to alternate between conjuring pairs of Dremora Lords and dual casting incinerate. When my shouts had recovered I added my own fire breath to that of my dragon pal.

I was amazed at how it went...not one potion of healing or restoration spell was required. The fire wyrm that appeared over his head at the end seemed to be a fitting epitaph for the defeated hero.

So what's your tactic?

P.S. My daughter then beat him on legendary without calling the dragon, which took the gloss off my own achievement. I console myself with the fact that she needed several potions of ultimate healing. Oh, and she didn't even conjure anything to help, just dual-cast incinerate and used fire breath...Doh!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
I only ever fight him 1on1 in melee, with maybe a little bit of ranged fire exchanged. I personally view using summoned help or stun locks with magic as extremely cheapening the overall challenge and experience, but I don't hold anyone else to these standards. It's just my own personal thing.

The first few times we fought, I tried dual wielding. This yielded very dodgy results, as I couldn't reliably kite him because he was so big he had extended reach over me (practically swinging a greatsword in one hand), and he would almost constantly reflect my damage back at me (which was enough to one shot me).

I tried various tactics. Using weaker weapons, using sword and board, etc. In a one on one melee battle, he's hard as nails. I've only actually beaten him a handful of times because with the Oghma Infinium patch my will to play the game died, as I'd had my fill of the grinding experience. It's worth noting that with dual wielding and proper buffs he can be taken down in seconds as long as his damage reflect doesn't activate.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I used no special tactics. The one character that's high enough level to fight him did so with dragonbone shield, (Alduin's pelvis), and enchanted dragonbone mace. I made a special save so that I could fight him whenever I felt the notion, but because this character's bounty was in the half-million range he never got the dialog, Ebony warrior attacked on sight in Windhelm. Which meant the odd towns-folk joining in the fray! I believe the difficulty was set to master, and since my helper was also present for the fight, (a fully decked out Eola), things usually went my way as long as I kept a close eye on my health. :beermug:

Benthos

Proud Mer
Enchantment and max Smithing to help with sword n shield. Great to have potions aplenty but magic assistance is always awesome.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
Never fought that guy, but i read loads of threads and stories about him.
Here's what I'd do to him with my mage.
-Cast Dragonhide (safety measures) beforehand and walk up in front of him.
-Cast Paralize, Shout Marked For Death. Repeat.
-Beat the living crap out of him.

But from all trouble ppl are gettong from him, i assume he is resistant to paralize, no?
In that case, real epic fight would occure!
-Dragonhide -> Frost spells (ice storm/ice spear) & frost cloack. Mainly because he is redgaurd and not resistant to frost + it slows him down so it is very helpfull keeping that distance all mages love so much <3
-Situatinoly, dual casting frost rune on route he is most likely to take will also stagger him.
-Bring loads of Mana & Hp pots. Use Slow time (3 words)and/or Whirlwind sprint (1 word). My preferance is slow time. Become Ethernal shout is also a good alternative

Did this... tactics(?), under assumtion you dont want to summon anything and not wanting to use any kind of exploits.

Last edited:

Sah

the only existing video in the world of fair 1 on 1 Legendary combat , no potions / no magic / no shouts / no run for cover / no pausing or quick menues

Alteration was the key to taking him down, the protection the Alteration Sill tree is enough to neutralize his Frost cloak, neutralize that and you have done half the work.

Recommended to avoid his first 2 power attacks as they are lethal regardless of any deference you may put up (one hit kills)

Latest posts