What's the best guild to join and can you buy houses in Cyrodiil?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gowsh

Old Fart
I've done the Fighters and Mages guild quests so far.

Both were fun, but I definitely liked the Fighters quest line better.

Of course, my char was a warrior using primarily Restoration magic, so Your Mileage May Vary. :)

I plan to do a stealth char next and do the DB and Thieves quests.

Houses are available in each of the primary cities in Cyrodill.

Some are nicer than others. By a lot.

Grob

If you are short of money, and are looking for a house (a pretty crappy house), there is one for 2000 in the Imperial City. If you go to the Imperial City Market, I think you go into Imperial City Housing and Commerce office an ask to buy it. It's on the Waterfront, close to the pirate boat. You can upgrade it by buying some house upgrades from one of the guys at The Three Brothers (I think, it could be somewhere else). As for Guilds, do multiple characters, covering one or two for each (e.g. A Mage in the Mage's Guild, A Warrior in the Fighter's Guild and Arena, Battlemage in Mage and Fighters, Rouge/Archer in DB/Thieves Guild).

Two Bears

In terms of storyline, my preference was:

1. Dark Brotherhood -- Above and beyond all the others in terms of twists and turns. Great writing.

2. Mages Guild -- Also quite good in writing and hands down the best perks for joining, as both spellcrafting and enchanting are exclusive to the guild.

3. Thieves Guild -- Oh how I wanted to rate this higher, but it is just flat. My beloved thieves just weren't as compelling as the Brotherhood or Mages.

4. Fighters Guild -- I don't really like warrior classes, but even with that the Fighters Guild was very 'meh'.

For homes the best bang for your buck, in my opinion, is a tie between Cheydinhal and Bruma. They both feature a decent amount of storage and similar amenities. The Cheydinhal house is more expensive, but that cost is offset due to the fact that Cheydinal is more centrally located than Bruma.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I'm really not fond of the Fighters' Guild. If you're just starting out and in need of a steady source of income, it does come with its small perks. It also has a few memorable characters and some good moments, but man, does it take forever to get to them. Near the end of the questline, I got so bored out of my skull that I dropped it like a hot potato and made for the Shivering Isles instead.

While not quite a guild, I absolutely loved joining the Arena. Wonderful characters around every corner, adventure and challenge in every match, plenty of money to go around and a marvelously unexpected ending. You even get to pick out an "Arena Name" for yourself from a goodly-sized list, which most NPCs will then call you by for the rest of the game.

As for houses, there are literally a ton in the game. The handful that I've owned:

- Imperial City Waterfront Shack

640px-My_Imperial_House_Outside.JPG

It's not much to look at, the neighbors aren't terribly welcoming but honestly, it's probably the best-located house in the game, right in the center of the map, just outside the city walls and not inside a loading door. It's also dirt-cheap at 2,000 septims unfurnished (furnishings are about 3,500 more, depending on your mercantile skill). It comes with two dressers and one chest, more than enough for modest storage needs. Even after I've gone and gotten nicer houses, I still find myself using this one as my convenient alchemy ingredients dumping ground.

- The White Stallion Lodge

1000px-WhiteStallionLodge.jpg

An excellent little place if you're passing through the swamp and in need of a place to crash. Totally free as well, provided you do a few quests for the Count of Leyawiin. It also comes with a fun Orc roommate!

- Benirus Manor, in Anvil

Benirus_Manor.jpg

A lovely, sprawling manor for a great price (only 5,000 gold! What a deal!), provided that you spend some time dealing with the nasty necromancer in the basement. It also comes pre-furnished, which makes it even cheaper than the Imperial City hovel. As for placement, it's not terribly convenient and I don't tend to spend much time there at all. But it is located in the beautiful Gold Coast region, you can smell the fresh salty air whenever you step outside and rarely is there a day when the warm sun stops shining. It's a wonderful place for an old adventurer to kick back and retire in.

- Duchess of Dementia's Private Quarters, New Sheoth Palace, Shivering Isles

640px-New_Sheoth_Palace_Syl%27s_Private_Bedroom.png

It's a bad, bad place to settle down in. There's a ton of loading doors that you have to go through to get to it, it originally comes with a highly unwelcome bedfellow and I'm reasonably certain that none of the containers are safe for storage. But damnit, I am a duchess and I will live in a palace. And honestly, after decorating a bit with the spoils of my various conquests, the place really has grown on me. It's got some beautiful architecture, is right in the middle of a bustling city, has an excellent garden just outside and has legitimately become my home away from home in the realm of the mad.

Gowsh

Old Fart
You're right about the Fighter's Guild quest dragging near the end, but I found that it added to my anticipation of the finale.

And
when the door opened and that annoying little Bosmer who'd been getting much of my credit for doing nothing except bothering me (Morrowind taught me to detest Bosmer and this game hasn't helped) was standing there and actually attacked...
Well, let's just say that my char took six or seven extra whacks at him even after he went down.

In terms of houses, I go for the obvious and mostly use the Manor in Skidmark (or whatever). High class digs with a pleasant, but useless servant.

Neriad13

Premium Member
You're right about the Fighter's Guild quest dragging near the end, but I found that it added to my anticipation of the finale.

And
when the door opened and that annoying little Bosmer who'd been getting much of my credit for doing nothing except bothering me (Morrowind taught me to detest Bosmer and this game hasn't helped) was standing there and actually attacked...
Well, let's just say that my char took six or seven extra whacks at him even after he went down.

Aw, but I actually liked Maglir. =( He's such a rotten little guy, it's hilarious. I was sad when he attacked me
and honestly felt bad after killing his self-proclaimed family. I actually ran out of the building past him, planning not to harm him myself. And then I stopped cold on the front step. No, I thought, this is my fight. I have to finish it. He finally fell on the front step of his company hall, riddled with arrows from nearby guards. I found a dull iron sword in his hand.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Like I said, Morrowind taught me to detest Bosmer.

They're like a cross between Hobbits and bedbugs and are twice as annoying as either.

Chirpy little voices, pointy Chihuahua ears, grumble, snort, ... :vomit:

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
My vote goes to DB, but fighters guild isn't that bad.

It's all about the Shivering lsles for a house. Duke of dementia.

ThePauperKing

Commando Chicken
There are houses in almost every city, and the only real "best guild, is the guild that makes you happiest. There is no "best" guild, in my opinion. If you enjoy the thrill of being a murderer, then join the Dark Brotherhood. If you prefer being a thief, the Thieves Guild will satisfy your needs. It's for you to decide, not for the game to. Although, you should try all of them. They all give fun adventures for you to embark on, and the quests can give you hours of play time.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
I felt the mage guild was a bit tedious, Fighters guild was Boring at best<<--Good for steady income. Thieves Guild was fun, My favorite ^.^
Dark Brotherhood, I don't like randomly killing people, but well written.

I love to Role play so I go with the guild that best suites the needs and wants of each character. :D<3

MetalHeadManiac

Aela's TRUE husband
The wealthiest house i believe is skingrad. the DLC houses are great too and theyre specialized for a certain character type.
As for guilds i love them all except for the thieves guild. All of the oblivion guilds are better than theyre parallel for skyrim in terms of actual quests except the thieves guild. The dark brotherhood was probably my favorite though

Also the homes you can download in the Xbox market(like 800 MS points?) are preaty nice. I got the Pirates cove one on the west coast below Anvil, which reminds me of the movie The Goonies with the pirate ship inside the cave. It has several cool xtras like your own personal trainer and merchant and a practice chest to work on lockpicking! Also Frost Craig Spire or something like that which is a mages castle up north in the mountians. It has teleporters to each mages guild and a indoors garden. Their are alot of rather expensive upgrades but still cool. Also places where you can enchant and make spells.
You can't go wrong with the "shack" in the Imperial City though either.
Ren

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts